Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Grendel as JR says please post the link as for not knowing you I consider you all friends, I talk to you all more than most of my offline friends or does that just make me sad

JR glad you are getting better and thank you I will practice my balancing skills when I brush my teeth tonight.......who would of guessed how much running can get incorporated into your life 

• Thank you both here is the link, as you can see I have not set a target and am not looking for hundreds of pounds - I am taking the view that anything I raise is a bonus -

http://www.justgiving.com/Andy-Horlock

• Donated. Good on you Grendel. 

• Much appreciated Thanks JR

• Grendel - I will sponsor you when I get paid mate. Sorry to hear you news

• Thanks 330. 

A very slooow 5 miles this morning, ahead of tomorrows longer run -

• Good luck on tomorrows long one Grendel. I am feeling much, much better this morning. Will take today as a rest day and head out for a short easy one tomorrow. 

• Thanks JR , glad you are feeling better and good luck tomorrow.

• Grendel - So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, trying you ping a small donation over but having gremlins with the JustGiving page. I am trying to reset my password.

JR - Glad you're feeling better, enjoy tomorrow.

Ms - I have noticed the lighter nights too. *Here comes summer*

B2b - Hope the knee and hammy are feeling okay now.

Hope everyone else is well and enjoyed the spring like conditions today. I changed the route slighty (wild man, I know) but god did it seem hard today.

I think the sun actually made me go off too quick and I felt it towards the end. Ran for half an hour and covered 2.9 miles but the first mile was 10:12!!! Way too quick really and I was blowing hard when I got home.

Still, more miles in the bank.

Feb - 21.9

2014 - 37.9

• Grendel have donated and tweeted your link to try and get some more sponsors for you.......good luck 

Well done BB nice running

Rest day for me today well if you can call spring cleaning the house rest.....off out in the morning hoping it will be dry and sunny

• Thanks Mummy I did send a message via FB.

Beachball well done - seem to be going well now and consistently. 

• Beachball just seen your donation - thank you too - But please please please do'nt think you guys on here to donate or that I have put pressure on -

• My second run was a two miler on Friday before work. Had a fair few cocktails and beers last night and a bit tonight. I want to do a longer run tomorrow but a little unsure of my neck/shoulder after sleeping on a futon.
  • Well done Beachball. 10 minute miles is good going. You’re building back up nicely.

Ms, hope you got/get out his morning. I missed the rain here, just.

Ed68, just ease the pace a little, keep those arms low and add a little extra. Hope the shoulder and neck hold up.

Well I finally went for a run today, my first in 8 days, and it was pretty bad to be honest. I started off nice and easy, my body feeling refreshed. A couple of minutes into the run I started coughing and spluttering. Sweating profusely, despite the cold wind I managed a grand total of 1.91 miles. I ran at around 10:40 pace and had to stop to shepherd some sheep back into a field at one point. Looking forward to something a little better next time.

Feb – 31.80

2014 – 132.19

• Grendel - no one thinks that re your sponsorship. Great cause mate one that's personal to you

You have put in a lot of hard work for this marathon and deserve to do well

• Felt rubbish on yesterdays run so didn't hold up much hope today. Pleasantly surprised, schedule said 18, target 20, and 21 ran. Stopped at 13.53 to BUY a drink, rather than drinking from a puddle!  Undulating, out and back run, mostly inland off the coast feel pretty pleased today

• Well done Grendel - I haven't been following this thread for long so the puddle drinking has confused me.

Cheers JR. I managed just over three and a half. I found out there is a big difference to running on flat surfaces against undulating terrain but felt good.

Admittedly I stopped at one point recompose myself as felt my form wasn't right. I'm struggling at the mo holding myself back as want to get my old comfortable distance back - 14/15 miles. I'm not fit enough but also have to be careful.

Now I only started last March and my target then was to get running. I didn't really care or know about form. I'm keen now to run better and aiming for 180 ish cadence for a 10k. 

I started well (around 180) but overall average was 159. I couldn't keep my starting pace up. Can anyone advise whether I should keep running shorter at the faster speed or getting the distance in.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

• No such thing as a wrong question for this thread Ed68. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about your cadence. I know 180 is the number lots of people bang on about being the perfect number but as you build up your fitness your pace is likely to increase (and so will your cadence) so don't let it bother you. Just concentrate on keeping yourself running. Once you're running your weekly miles again as before then it's something to look at. You are definitely on the right thread.....and I expect others will have lots of answers for anything you want answered. Also, stopping during a training run is no problem, if you come across a great view on a run, don't think you can't stop and admire it before continuing (unless you're standing outside Ann Summers, that might get you a few looks).

BIG well done on the 21 Grendel. That's some distance there. Sounds like you will be spot on for your marathon. 

• Cheers again.

The main reason I'm thinking about cadence is due to my injury being spinal. Won't to reduce the impact as much as possible really. I doubt I'll be doing a Mara again - not so much for the day but the amount of miles clocked during training.

I'll probably just build up the mileage a bit and then look at my pace. Would be good to get a 46 min 10k and then build from there. I know that's not particularly speedy for most but is for me. I'm changing my target from distance to time.

• I'd love a 46 minute 10k but i'm fairly sure that's not going to happen. Sub 50 is the dream but I need to work a lot harder to achieve that. 

I guess one of the best things I have found to deal with impact is to try and keep your feet as low to the ground as possible during easy and long runs, running as efficiently as I can. 

If you hit that 46 minute mark how about sub 45?

• Ed, I needed a drink on a previous long run and didn't have a drink or money to buy one, so I compromised and used water laying around in the cleanest puddle I found. image

• Well done Grendel on your mileage 

Ed sounds like your doing really well, I can only dream on those kind of times for a 10k.........and good luck with working on your form, which is obviously very important with your injuries

JR looks like you need a few more days rest to get you back out and running, hope you feel better soon 

I only managed a very wet and windy 4 miles out and back this morning along the not so scenic A1 motorway, would of gone further but the path was flooded and I didn't fancy my chances going out into the road, the wind was in my face all the way back which was hard going but at least reminded me how lucky I was to be out there running

February 21.55

2014 - 71.78

• Mummy - well done on getting out in that weather

Last 2 weeks been very bad for me running wise. Need to step it up

• Ha ha - that 46 is a dream and a long, long way off and not something I am near at the moment. I was running longer distances but doing 54/55 for 10k last Sept/Oct.

Grendel - that has highly amused me. I can almost understand the need to drink but doubt I could ever go through with it. Puddles where I run are nearly always filthy, muddy things and not at all appealing.
  • Mummysaurus.....you're probably right but with the Grizzly in two weeks time I just want to get back out there. Decided as my chest is clear sweating this virus out a bit won't do too much harm and went again this morning. Pace felt ludicrously slow but legs did feel better. Still coughing but its a dry tickly cough now and almost gone. Did 3.1 miles in total. Will have a rest tomorrow and try an extra loop for 4.5 Wednesday all being well. Will catch up again later.

It's been a tough month 330, but now is the time to push on towards March, better weather and lighter runs.
  • Ed - you need to tailor your traing towards that 10K goal - plenty of easy/steady running, plus speedwork too -  Perhaps look to do some shorter races 5Ks etc to work on speed and speed endurance -  Good luck with it.

I was very very thirsty and was totally over dressed for how warm it turned out to be.

• JR - It has, just seems a shame that I will be lucky to get to 65 miles this month after 113 last.

Still as you say lighter nights and improving weather (which in Scotland means rain just not torrential !!) Hope to be out tonight

• Hi ppl, I managed my lst decent run in two wks,just under 6miles pace was decent(didn't look at time just got my watch to buzz when I do a mile...) but the problem is I was hoping to do 6miles and my opposite groin went, the left 1 felt fine no niggles at all, what I forgot was that the two always go one after the other, why i don't know. My problem is am around 4 wks away from the liverpool half marathon and I ain't sure what to do, as I ain't gone past 7miles...my previous half I only did a few training sessions this time I have done 23 runs, whether to rest for another week or start doing core strengthening and possible turbo sessions instead of running?? I can't afford a physio so any help or suggestions I would be grateful..

• I can't advise on whether you should rest or not Fat noodles BUT it almost sounds like when one side goes, you favour the otherside when running making that one follow suit.  I am sure B2B will be along shortly to advise (despite having quite a long running history over the years before starting again from the begining I have invariably been of the take two asprin 20 minutes before you go out and ignore injuries way of thinking so are not qualified to advise 

• bloody work in the way!! image Sorry guys I will catch up with all the reading soon, we are really short staffed at the moment so I don't get to come on here a lot.

Noodles - unfortunately sounds like a rest is needed. Not really sure myself how to advise regarding groin as its not something I have had an issue with myself. Grendel sounds right with the one side working harder.

Dont worry about the half, you will be fine. It is better to be under trained than over injured! image Rest up!

Do some research on causes of groin strain and see if you can figure out why its a regular thing. I would hazard a guess at over striding.

Im sorry I cant give you a magic pill, rest is best