Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• 330 - I completely understand! I clearly LOVE running but sometimes that love can cloud the enjoyment if that makes sense? Putting to much emphasis on how important running is to me also put a lot of pressure on trying to do it all the time and therefore made it not as enjoyable due to hurting myself. I know I am now heading into crazyland with the miles but my attitude has changed towards it. It is now more about it being a bit of a laugh and an interesting experiment into how far I can go. Once I took the pressure off a bit I found that the fun comes back image 

Euphoria mixed with intense relief that you can finally stop ha ha ha! 

• B2B - I must admit I would love to do an ultra - the sense of adventure and the fact that its not just one almighty effort, one more broken down into chunks

The camomadarie (sp?) amongst ultra runners appeals as well - maybe one day

• keep training and it will happen! image The moment you are ready give me a yell! image

• Right

Not getting out tonight. So if I don't get out tomorrow as I am planning I am knocking it on the head and packing it all in.

Sorry to rant but either I do this or I don't and after 113 miles in Jan and all that effort which I loved doing to be reduced to one run in the whole of March so far is heart breaking

So will be working my little bum off tonight decorating and see what tomorrow brings

Running is a massive part of my life but right now I am gutted

• Nice trainers JR!

So sorry 330, hope you work something out in the end!

B2b if I don't kill myself on The Wall, manage to finish it and enjoy it, maybe I can run another with you one day? I too am interested in how far I can go, although currently I've still only done a half as my longest, BUT I did finish it feeling like I could have gone further, rather than feeling exhausted!

Rest day today to save my Achilles, but I've managed to do more strengthening exercises today so fingers crossed I can go out tomorrow! Only a month til Brighton!

• Looks like we have a little Ultra team forming !!!!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

You're not quitting on my watch 330. Stick with it, everyone has a lapse every now and again.

First run in my new shoes today. They felt great. 4ish miles, roll on Sunday image

Mar – 13.55

2014 – 158.29

• I will probably be out, and yes will stick with it no doubt

Just cheesed off with getting my fitness up with consistant running then a week off back to almost square one

So normally out around 7.30 Saturday but not tomorrow as I have to ferry the wife to work so I can comeback drive my daughter 25 miles to the shopping centre to buy bloody trousers, then back and then theres decorating to do

Told the wife I will get my run in around 11 after back from shopping centre - usual reception of rolled eyes and disapproval. Still don't care am going out !!!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

If it helps 330 it takes around 3 weeks to lose your running fitness once it's there. Yes, the runs do leave you feeling a little tired but the miles are logged and it doesn't take more than a couple of weeks to get back to where you left off with such a short break.

Also, if the wifes at work..image...(looks around to make sure the Mrs isn't looking)......she can't stop you running! 

• 330 I might be wrong. But some time a long rest is what you body needs. A week off did me good many years ago. I do a lot of cycling at the moment getting back into running. But the weeks were I can't get out for some reason. When I do get back on the bike I love it and got a lot of PB and just felt stronger.

You all taking about ultra and half matron I doing 3.4km. I know I will get there.

Question how do I know when up my km do i do it weekly?

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Brad, it's very difficult to say when you up your mileage and by how much. The general rule is 10%, although there have been many studies carried out and there are no direct links to upping your mileage at a higher rate and injury. You're not a beginner as you have ran before, so there isn't that need to build a base level of fitness like with a complete beginner. That said, you would be foolish not to listen to your body and in my opinion I would add time to my runs and not distance. As you get fitter, and faster, adding time ensures you go further but don't get too obsessed with hitting miles.

If you're running a 4 day week it could look like this.....Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.....all 3.4km

You could simply add 10 minutes to your Sunday run to start with, making it the longer run of the week if Sunday suits as your long run?

After that you could use Monday as your recovery or easy run after the long run, making sure you don't do two hard efforts in a row. Wednesday, add some fartlek into your run, just a few faster efforts in the middle somewhere to a tree or other landmark up ahead. 

Friday becomes your easy/steady run after your hard effort and you're already building mileage with the longer run and a bit of faster running. 

Most important of all, listen to your body. Keep an eye on how you're recovering from runs. You could always look up a schedule if you fancy increasing mileage, there are loads out there. They are tried and tested and you could even look for an event in the future to gear yourself towards. Take a look at these...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/find-a-training-plan/4521.html

• Thanks JR what you say makes sense. At the moment I cycle to work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (10miles) and run Tuesday Thursday (3.4 km to work and 3.4km home). On Saturday or Sunday I do about the same distance.

It the run to work I was thinking of upping to 5km and try plod home for the 3.4km. Just don’t want to over do it (I do like to push my self).  

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Don't you dare think about giving up 330 - you have that London place for next year and am planning on coming to London to watch (or run round with you if I get in)  - You now have 13 months to prepare - forget the rolling eyes etc - this is for you.

For me today 6.48 and hopefully 20 + tomorrow.  Totally overdressed for the run, back to T shirt and shorts tomorrow I think

Good luck JR and Mrs JR tomorrow,  and well done Brad for keeping on keeping on

• 330 you cant let the opportunity to run London go! I've been trying to get into London for years but always get a commiserations magazine! Plus like everyone else says, everyone has a few bad weeks, but you'll come back just as well! Keep at it!!

8.9 slow/gentle miles for me today in glorious sunshine, although the wind was tough to run into at one point. Defo didn't need the long sleeves though! Achilles aching a bit now, but I did walk about another 4miles through a country park with my family after the run. Icing it again, will do strengthening exercises later, hoping to run again tomorrow?! Got to make the most of being out in the sunshine right?! image

Brad, sounds like a good varied plan to me! You're doing great! 

• CollinsCollins ✭✭✭

Hi Just Run and everyone else. May I join your thread please? I haven't run for over three months due to a back problem which still isn't quite fixed. So I am right back to square one and have turned back into an unfit blob. I really want to get back to the weight and level of fitness that I had in Autumn 2013. I am lacking motivation to get back out there as I am obviously out of the habit. And I need a bit of convincing that I can get back to where I was (or better?). Please could you give me the kick up the pants that I need and, if you don't mind I will commit to you guys that I will do it. Thanks in hope. Claire

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Join us and be welcome Collins - A lot of good advice and inspiration to be had on here, ask questions offer opinion take part as often or as little as you want.

20+ miles run as promised. managed to get out at 5:15 but even then there was a noticeable warmth in the air - totally overdressed. Route changed as I went along as I found in the daylight footpaths and a fishing lake I didn't know existed and to top it off a Country Park I had never noticed before - made for a nice part off road run for a change - Stopped to buy a drink at 15 miles before making my return journey home - very warm - may need to rethink wardrobe!!!!  21 miles and bits that'll do nicely.

• Hey Collins, welcome. You'll get loads of encouragement here!

Well done Grendel that's great!! Love the fact that running explores areas you never new existed! Another great reason to run!

Well I did want to do a 15mile this weekend but I'm thinking after yesterday I should take it easy on the Achilles today, so I might try for a long run after work tomorrow.

Very aware of the fact I need to do a 20 mile run before Brighton, but struggling to fit one in? Do you think if I manage enough 6-10mile runs in the week I could manage 20miles next weekend? I did feel at the end of Tunbridge Wells half last week that I could've run a few miles further? Cant do the week after next as I'm running Hastings half, and the week after that is the week before Brighton!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Lisa, how important is the Hastings half to you in terms of time. Could you run maybe 3 or so miles before and the same afterwards and get a 20 in that way?   Remember I not doing anymore than 6 midweek and can manage the 20 s off that so if you take it very e.easy you should be OK. 

• 330 - DEEP BREATH! JR is right, you have ages before it will affect your fitness that much. JR is also right in saying NOT ON MY WATCH!! Dont make me come up there Mr! image Train for London, do it for all of us who tried for years and didn't get a place. I tried for 4 YEARS in a row and never got a place. I understand that trying to convince someone who just doesn't get running of just what it means to you is hard. In fact its maybe harder than the running itself. Please dont give up on it. If you think that having a couple of weeks off feels bad, think ahead to how miserable you will feel to NEVER run again. Never is a long time. Does she really know how much it means to you?

welcome Collins! image loads and loads to read on here but please feel free to ask as many questions as you like image

Lisa - Oh for sure, I would love to run with any of you guys! image Are you doing The Wall next year? For your marathon, don't panic to much about getting a 20 in, its in your head image Truth is, if you can run a half, you can finish a marathon. It may not be pretty but you CAN get it done. That goes for ANY distance, you can finish, it just might hurt more! 

Grendel - your mileage is very impressive! I would love to be putting in regular 20`s but lately my hamstring/Achilles is keeping me to the small stuff. Decided to just make the most of it and attempt to run more often image

Little, slow 5.2 mile for me yesterday 

2014 - 106.5

• That's a good idea Grendel!

B2b I def agree with it all being in your head, and I'm feeling so positive right now! Plus I can use Brighton as my first marathon, not focusing on a finish time, just finishing and enjoying it, then if injury free, up my game for the Liverpool in May?!

Not sure if i I'll do the wall next year? Depends if I survive this year lol! If I do then there are other ultras I'd like to try, like the race to the stones and the Thames 100? Who knows, I'm being a bit ambitious atm considering I've not completed anything yet!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

/members/images/329046/Gallery/IMAG0470_(640x504)_(250x197).jpg

20 miles of mud, hills including 3,500 feet of climbing....and they are not compression socks i'm wearing! Its mud!

Will give you all a proper report tomorrow, but it's safe to say we will be going back next year!image

Mar – 33.25

2014 – 177.99

• well I completed my first marathon in November 2012 then did my first 50 mile in May 2013 then moved up to 100k in the July. Once you have done the marathon just keep the training up with regular 13-20 mile long runs and then go for it! The Wall this year is in june so you could always make it a goal for next year?! Just keep an eye on when it opens. The only thing that puts me off of doing it is that it is expensive for a 100k, this year is £165!! Not including getting there and maybe staying somewhere! Just a little out of my price range. For that kind of money I would rather try a 100 mile, the TP100 this year was £125, by comparison a bargain! image Race to the stones was good but again there are cheaper options for a 100k, also the time of year it is held means that it has a chance to be really really hot like it was this year. Makes for a really long day when its too hot to run! image 

• crossed posts JR..WELL DONE!! image look forward to the report

• Welcome Collins I also starting for scratch after 14 years.

Grendel 20 miles go going 5:15 nice an early. The same time my daughter wakes up

Just Run nice looking socks. 20 mile of wet feet can’t be run.

I my self manage a hole 4.3km with out a walk legs are feel better. My ankle clicks all the way, hope it not going to give me problems.

• well done Brad! 4.3km is great without walking! Just take it nice and slow while your ankle gets used to the idea image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Saw your comment re the XBox storage JR - I bought a memory stick from Tesco yesterday plugged it in and hay presto - a happy Call of Duty Player so thanks

• JR well done you!! Bet you feel great!! image Looks like you had a nice day for it!? Did you get a medal for your efforts?

B2b yeah it has been expensive but I've always wanted to at least walk Hadrian's wall, but running is quicker, and it is far for me to go so once ticked off I probably wont do it again...?? Unless I want to compete with myself and do the Expert one day event? (I'm only doing the Challenger 2 day event)

Hope your ankle doesn't give you too much grief Brad. Mine clicks when its cold, especially going upstairs. Great achievement to run with no walks.

Well I couldn't be bothered to go today once the sun went in, but somehow I managed to convince myself to go. I started off slowly as usual to warm up, stopped to stretch as still having probs with right shin aching in the first couple of miles, and left Achilles hurting, but after that I seemed to get a second wind and practically sprinted the last 2 miles, just kept getting faster and stronger. Buzzing now!! image Best run I've had in a while!

Wonder whether 330 got out for a run?

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi Claire (Collins) and welcome to the thread. You will get loads of encouragement and advice here with people running anything from 5k to ultra marathons. Most, if not all of us have been in your position and yes, you will return to running greatness, just stick at it. Keep posting on the thread, ask any questions you like and enjoy your running.

Excellent run Grendel, and a country park discovered along the way! Glad the xbox is sorted.

Lisa, Grendels point is an excellent one, I know lots of people who have used events as training runs, adding miles to suit. With no pressure on a time you can really relax and enjoy the day too. There’s nothing wrong with ambition by the way! Feel a real sense of achievement after yesterday. We got a technical t-shirt, a banana, bottle of water, chocolate brownies, flapjack and enough jelly babies to sink a ship!

Thanks B2B, really enjoyed the challenge of the Grizzly, and boy it was tough.

Take it easy on the ankle Brad, coming along nicely. Don’t be scared to keep the walk breaks for a while if things ache.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Right, race report and apologies if it goes on a bit.image

After training in the pitch black, and on cold wet mornings we arrived in Seaton to glorious sunshine. We stood at the start line where the town crier gave us a cracking send off with a brilliant ‘hear ye’ before ringing the bell and off we went.

After running past the crowds along the esplanade we turned onto the beach for approx. ½ a mile. Barely able to jog along the pebbles, we headed back onto the road for a mile or so, uphill through a housing estate. Halfway up the hill we came across some bloke standing at the bottom of his garden with amp and electric guitar banging out a tune!

We took in a holiday park (uphill again) and headed for the hills (the real ones). Spectacular views accompanied us all the way. We hit a pretty serious hill at 3 miles before descending steeply down to the beach, a cold dip and uphill again.

The next 10 miles took in non stop ups and downs, and I can honestly say that after the first hill not one was runnable. Some were fairly tough, enough to make you walk, others required hands on knees and the conversation soon disappeared in the pack. We crossed boggy fields, one sucked my shoe off four bloody times, then other fields where the camber was so bad you were running at 45 degrees hardly able to keep your feet.

We passed through woodland, bogs up to your knees, streams, more bogs, more hills than I’ve ever seen and then at about 14 miles I checked our time. 3hrs 15mins….our dream time of 4hr 30mins looking possible? Just 10k ish in 1hr 15 mins….no problem? Then we hit another hill, then another, that 15th mile took 22 minutes! We then descended …..you’ve guessed it….onto the bloody beach. I would have swapped that beach for any hill. A stream of runners, single file for about a mile and not one of them running. Your feet simple sunk into the pebbles, sapping your legs of what energy they had.

When we finally left the beach, we found what they call ‘the stairway to heaven’. As you can guess, it was a little steep. In fact, we climbed a cliff that took us up over 100 metres in less than ½ a mile. The views were spectacular and mountain rescue was on hand just in case!

Finally, we hit the 19 mile marker, found some flat land and even got to run on the road to the finish completing the course in 4:45. The final 6 miles taking 90 minutes!

A few unfortunate people went over on ankles and dropped out along the way. One poor girl dislocated her knee in the woods just ahead of us while another girl  went face first  down one section of trail resulting in three fingers facing the wrong way and a bloodied face. This race is not for the feint hearted, has 3,500 feet of climb and although 20 miles, they suggest you use a road marathon time as your target finish. It is brutally brilliant and we are going back next year!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Oh, and the live band along the way were pretty good, the marshalls were the best i've ever come across and the general public brilliant support. The chocolate brownies and flapjacks at 15 miles were bloody fantastic!