Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

For anyone who has 5 minutes, I have found a pretty good collection of photo's.

http://www.hardleyrunners.co.uk/Gallery/Grizzly_2014/album/slides/IMG_7661.html

• Options

Evening all

First of all can I aplologise for going off on one. Unlike me so sorry, just frustration

JR - Thanks for the words and what a great effort, see the race reports and will read after doing this post - I like reading peoples race reports

Brad - thanks as well and good to see you here, keep posting, join the madhouse !

Grendel - You are such an inspiration, logging mile after mile and always with a smile - and always up at sparrows fart to do it !!

Lisa, I want to run London, in years gone by I applied 3 times every year to get in I was that enthusiastic, applying for London was a massive event for me !!

B2B - what can I say, am in awe of you at times, your dedication and commitment is first class - cap doffed to you.

To each and every one of you - thank you. If and when I do London next year I hope maybe some of you get in as would love to meet at the expo. Will be a military operation for me coming down from Scotland early Sat up to expo then probably stay with a mate in West London

To all the newbies welcome to the best thread on RW !!

And finally, I got out tonight !!!! 4.6 miles just but I enjoyed it !!

Your humbly 3.30

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    330, great to see you've got out mate. I look forward to reading about another run in the next few days.

Rest day for me again with a view to going for a gentle one tomorrow. Will have another good stretch tonight. Achilles creaking a little going down the stairs but I will manage it. Shoulders a bit tight and sore and hip flexor too but actually feel much better than I thought I would. 6 April next event now, the Honiton Hippo. 7ish miles of mud, sweat and tears, the odd hill and a river crossing or two. Should be a doddle!
  • Options

JR - oh that sounds like my kind of fun!!! Sounds like you had a ball! hmm wonder if I could squeeze that in next year? image

330 - If you do London I shall try my hardest to be there! I am inspired by people like yourself who just want to run! Its tough getting going and even tougher to stick too. Once you have been running regularly for a little while it becomes a habit or just part of your day. Getting out from nothing and heading out the door just to give it a go takes a lot of guts. Constantly pushing your limits and not giving up is why we all still do this. For me running silly miles has taken a while and sometimes people who can run far can overlook how they got there. You see the thing is the sense of achievement you get from finishing and event simply takes longer when you can run so far! I really believe anyone can run as far as they want given enough training, both physical and mental. This thread has become the mental side, the online support that is sometimes needed just to not pack it all in. I have never forgotten where I started and that is why I am still here. 

Speaking of a sense of achievement! After speaking to my brother in law at the weekend and voicing my concerns about everything hurting all the time he then told me about his training for the TP100. He has been running 5 days out of 7. 3 miles a day and a long run on Saturday for 2 months! The saturday run has been getting longer so he is doing 20ish but the rest of the week is back to 3 miles a day!!!

After chatting for a bit he suggested that maybe while I was putting the miles away maybe the frequency was the problem? Muscle memory and all that. Interesting, and makes sense so I am going to give it a go for the next month and build but my hamstring and Achilles again image 

I went out last night in a very strange way for me. No ultra vest, no water, no food, no phone, no hat, no gloves. Just a watch and 2 keys in my hand. GPS found and I was off. I had no idea where to go, I just wanted to run. Last minute decision to head for the hills. I ran up every hill, the really really nasty ones that normally reduce me to a walk. I ran hard (for me) hill after hill and just got faster. At one point I looked at my watch as I legged it up a hill at an 8 minute mile!!! Now this particular one I find hard enough to cycle fast up so it was some shock! My breathing was all over the place but I couldnt stop. I was the hill monster.

Stopped my watch at 5k and sat on a barrier in the park outside my place. Still breathing deeply it read 27:49!!!!

Ive not run that hard for a while and that was maybe one of my fastest 5ks in sandals ever over a really tough route! image

Even better news is this morning (looks around and whispers image ) nothing hurts!! image image

2014 - 109.6

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

3:30 I don't mean to be an inpsiration - I just do what I do and it's as easy as that - BUT I am totally in awe of what JR and Mrs JR acheived Sunday - 20 miles off very little training, in comparison to what I have been doing for a mere Road Marathon,  over that course - I know some else who has done it in the past - I shall call him Fitbloke and so know how tough it is so well done both of you.

And of course, the other inspiration on here comes from B2B - when things were getting a bit tough on Sunday and I was nearing the end of 21 miles - I thought about him and knowing that he will still be smiling and laughing and drinking some awful concoction of Octopus Milk and Bulls Bile all mixed in with some obscure African seeds and motoring on to ever greater distances, (propoably composing a song in his head)

THat said - I take inspiration and motivation from all of you and have ever since I joined the thread 3 years ago.  So thank you.

Oh well quick report - 7.84 miles run this morning (not sure why as Schedule said 6 - so just kept running - I suppose a little bit like Forest Gump).  6 times 800 metres tomorrow!!   Happy days

• Options

mmm octopus milk! image

• Options

Sorry Lisa I didnt reply to you! How rude of me! image Yeah I felt the same way about doing the Race to the Stones. I thought well yes it is expensive but I only plan to do it the once. Im very tempted with the Wall for the same reason. I dont think I could do the 2 day though. Doing it in one go I personally think is "easier" but then again ive never been very good at big back to back stuff. The 2 day option is a great one for those who want to give ultra distances a go but also make a weekend out of it. I know a few people who have done it that way just for experience and they loved it! image

• Options

Thanks all hopefully the mojo has returned

I can now picture B2B searching for Octopus milk on the internet !!!!

• Options
  • Options
    Had a nice run into work this mornin 5.1km 24:59 very happy with that. Legs feel good. Will take it easy going home

octopus milk! Will have to look into that!!
  • Options

ha ha ha its a great picture eh?! I did find some marine biologist warning someone that trying to milk an octopus was quite easy but you have to be careful not to hurt yourself or the octopus!

ha ha ha ha ha the internet eh?!    

• Options

Have just finished my run home (3.3km) and have a small problem, well I hope it small. On the inside of my knees I have a dull pain. It is not mussel pain feels like tendons. I felt it a bit before I started the run home. It went away while I was running.  Now that I am home I can feel the dull pain all the time. 

I do a bit of stretching before I start to run and do a bit after the run.  Hope it make since.  Any ides what to do?

• Options

JR, love the race report! Sounds interesting, maybe one day I will have to give it a go!

330, glad you managed to get out!! Woohoo!! If I don't get in next year maybe I will come and support you anyway!

Well done B2b on your hill run triumph! Love conquering a hill! Hoping one day I will conquer an ultra in one go, but for my first I can only contemplate doing it over two days?!

Grendel I cant imagine running 7miles before work, so well done!!

No run for me today, rest day, trying to get Achilles better. Hopefully get out for a short run tomorrow? Defo out Thurs as got the Gravesend cyclopark 10k that I missed out on last month for being ill. Looking forward to it.

• Options

Brad, ice it? Have you got any knee supports to try when running maybe? I have to run with knee supports, although since strengthening my pelvis/core strength, I'm not having quite so many problems with my knees?

• Options

Brad - personally I would stop stretching before running. I used to get endless problems by over stretching before a run. Instead start your workout with a walk, bonus miles too! image Also give Biofreeze a go, great stuff!

Lisa - have a look at trying a 50k image not that far past a marathon and a great step up to ultra

4.1 mile this evening image

2014 - 113.7

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done all - sorry B2B I completely missed your earlier post so well done on getting that hill done - once this marathon is out of the way it's back to trying to increase speed. and JR it does sound a lot of fun!!!

• Options

Hi all

B2B like the pic !! Maybe the milkman can deliver some ? lol

Brad if its a dull ache inside the knee could be tendons or cartlidge, are your shoes worn? Kness are funny things really, little niggles seem to come and go, but if it continues or gets worse maybe a trip to the local physio ?

Grendel - so just 8 weeks to go another 5 weeks of proper training then the taper !!

Same route for me today 4.86, only 4 miles to St James Park and first ground in the EPL of my tour - need to get a move on if I am to get to Southampton by year end !!

No run tomorrow off to watch Rangers clinch the championship. Queued 2 hours this AM at Ibrox for Cup final tickets

• Options

Lisa I do have a knee support will start to use it.

B2B Have just order the Biofreeze and give it a go.  As to walking first don’t have time in the morning but will try making time.

330 They are new shoes

• Options

Brad

Are the shoes the same type as your old ones? The reason I ask is that if they are maybe just need to wear them in a bit

I have not had many injuries that actually stopped me from running but one was caused by wearing the wrong shoes - had a video gait analysis years ago and the guy chucked my runners in a bin saying there no good for me !!

He recommended a pair and have been wearing same style and brand for years. Not saying that's your problem but footwear can play a major part. But as I say knees are funny complex things, just see if it eases at all if not physio maybe a good start

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Hi all, will catch up again later as I'm planning a gentle jog tonight. I'm going to tell everyone at work the one thing that got me through the grizzly was octopus milk!

Those new shoes aren't support shoes are they Brad? Over a little issue with my ligaments around my knee. I will post a link later for a couple of stretches you can do on non running daysor post run. Also some dynamic stretches rather than static ones can help. I also walk for five minutes before breaking into a run.

Great running all, speak again later!
  • Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Luckily we live by the sea, so perhaps I can cultivate a herd of Octopusses and market the milk!!!!!

Yep 3:30 two months yesterday and here I m making a big fuss about 26:2 miles and off B2B goes the week before to do a mere 100 miles!!!!! 

Mile or so warm up, mile or so warm down interspersed with 7 times half mile brisk off a minute recovery. A beautiful morning to be out, clear skies no wind a great day for running fast (ish) along the sea wall. (Pity the local council haven't cleared it of all the sand deposited by the winter storms so running round the local roads)

• Options

Grendel - wow that came around fast! 2 months! Hey a marathon is a marathon! image You are going to stomp it! Hopefully I should just about be walking by the time you start ha ha ha! 

http://bobsegarini.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/facehugger-side.jpg

"I just wanted the milk!"
  • Options
    The shoes are neutral. Yes it is the same type of shoe that I used to run in. Just thinking if running to work and then running home was a bit to much.
  • Options

Brad - yeah just sounds like a bit of overuse to me image just add some more walk breaks

• Options
    Going to give a rest till Monday then try again but not to work. Run in the evenings and see how it goes.
  • Options

Wow, where do I start? I only left the room for 5 minutes..image

Collins - A big welcome from me. The guys/gals on this thread are great.

JR - Awesome mate, glad you and Mrs JR had so much fun. Great report, it sounds brutal.

B2b - Great story about the hill and nice 5k time too.

Grendel - Glad to see things ticking along nicely. Time seems to be flying, just 2 months to go..

Brad - Sorry to hear mate, hopefully a rest will do the trick. You are coming along well.

330 - Nothing like a good meltdown to clear the system. Glad you managed to get out and hope you can get a routine sorted. This game is like an addiction.

Lisa - Hope that achilles is okay if you got out today. If not, enjoy the 10k on Thursday.

Haven't got round to logging Saturday's 5k yet I been so busy with coursework.

Had to give Monday a miss as I felt awful, never slept, tossing and turning, hot and then cold. Thankfully just a 24hr thing as I'm fine again now (it wasn't the beer, honest gov!)

Usual 5k route today, first run of the year without my hat and gloves...yippee..

Mar - 12.4

2014 - 56.5

Happy running allimage

• Options

Just a quick stop in tonight...

Went out to thrash the nuts off a 5k again..........26:38!!!! image

No idea what is going on with me of late but im liking it!

Keep on kicking folks!

2014 - 116.8

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Just a quickie this morning (post not run!)

6.43 miles run through the fog - along the sand covered sea wall - out at 5 back just after 6 - an enjoyable little run today.

Happy days!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Hi Beachball, welcome back lol. This thread stops for no-one!

Brilliant 5k B2B......image

Sounds like a lovely enjoyable run Grendel.

I didn't get out last night after all...Mrs JR had cooked us a curry so a relaxing evening it was! Feeling absolutely brilliant today. No aches, feel very fresh and a shame I wo.t have time for a run today. Still, tomorrow I finish early so will run in the daylight and start preparing for my next event in three weeks time. Will check in tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options

nice bit of recovery time then JR image that 5k was including stopping for cars on busy roads!! I will have to try a 5k on a track one day just out of curiosity image my treadmill PB is 23:55 I think, but you know treadmills are notorious for not being accurate. I think with a bit of a warm up first I MIGHT be able to crack 23 minutes.

So here is a question for all...what would your dream 5k time be? I think for me hitting a sub 20 would be mind blowing!  image