Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Grendel yeah its their 30th anniversary, and its my 30th on Wednesday, so thought we'd celebrate together! image

Can I be cheeky and ask if any of you would like to sponsor me for Brighton Marathon? I'm raising money for Prostate Cancer as two of my family members have had it. You can either donate here..http://www.justgiving.com/LAFBrighton2014 or text NUTS84 £5 to 70070. Thanks in advance image

No run tonight, rest day so I went swimming. Think i'll do one last gentle run either tomorrow or Saturday before Hastings.

Happy running peeps image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Done Lisa - by Text - it may come up as anonymous but done anyway.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Running going well Beachball. Little envious re football  as I can’t get to games very often. Last game I got to was the community shield at Villa Park against Man City. Would love to get United in the next round of the champions league…..a bye to the semis surely?!?

Grendel, without doubt the pace increases in the daylight. Very easy to get carried away with this fine spring weather we’ve had lately. When it’s dark I find myself just making sure I don’t fall over!

Very busy again this weekend Lisa, good luck Sunday. Know what you mean about avoiding the bugs. Three young children and a wife who works in a school doesn’t help this end. I will sponsor you £5 on pay day.

B2B, yes, long runs and hard runs should be followed by easier efforts. It aids recovery and as Grendel says, shifts that lactic acid if it’s hanging around.

Rest day today. Easy 5 tomorrow before a longer run Sunday…busy or not!

• Good running going on here

B2B may get that book sounds it would be a good read and do love running books !!

Out again tonight and am currently just half a mile from Stadium of light (Sunderland) if I knew before my run would have added the extra half mile !!

I am sorely tempted by The West Highland Way run - its 90 miles but broken down over a week. One day maybe, small matter of a half in early August seems an Ultra distance at the moment !!

Lisa, will sponsor you on payday, will the just giving page still be up?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Grendel: re daylight running I think I run quicker in the dark, nothing to distract me so I concentrate on the running and seem to go quicker. Nothing to judge my speed against just me n the head torch. 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Okay..... Interesting about the dark/light running and peoples perceptions of which they run quicker in. Anybody up for a test? Easy run, in the dark, no looking at watch. Following week, same run, but in the light. I will give it a go for the next two Fridays, following an identical Wednesday session. May not be the greatest scientific test ever but interesting to se if there's much difference.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I have tested it already JR - in the dark I am running well over 10 minute miles, but my long runs during the day are run approx. 20 second per mile quicker -

This morning I had to drop the car off for it's long overdue service and run the 3 miles back - I have got to reverse that journey later so deliberately kept the effort down - it wasn't until  had run a mile that I looked down - 8:52 - I eased right back a mile later 9 minutes dead, the last 1.33 miles were under 9 minute mile pace - will pay for that later I have no doubt.

To add to that thought, in the dark you are invisible, in the daylight there are people around so although they are generally not interested - does a perceived audience make you run faster?  Over to you experts.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Ah....now I reckon there isn't a runner alive who doesn't push out their shoulders and increase the pace when spotting other people coming towards them, especially fellow runners. Suck in the gut, increase pace by 30 seconds, control breathing, wait until out of sight......and let it all relax again. If my wife spots another female runner, especially a younger one, she runs at tempo speed until the young upstart is put in her place!

Easy 5 after work today, aimed for 10mm.....ran 9:55. Quite pleased with that effort. The canal is now reopened where the collapse took place so every other long run will be a very relaxing, very flat run in beautiful surroundings image

March - 51.34 - 50 up for the month image

2014 - 196.08

• Happy Birthday Ms image Enjoy your run and the whole day.

PSG then JR, could be a tricky one.

I feel I run faster in daylight Grendel.

330 - Glad you are getting out a bit more.

Lisa - Good luck Sunday, I'm sure you will nail it.

B2b - Hope you are well mate.

Probably my best run of the year today. Nice and steady 3.5 miles and felt really good afterwards. Interesting concept about running quicker when others are around. Today's splits were 10:39, 10:38, 10:19 and 10:31.

The 10:19 is a mile along the main road that is head to tail in traffic on a Friday. I think it is a natural effect to just step it up.

On a negative the fumes are awful and I cannot wait to get back into the woods. Clocks next week!!image

Have a great weekend all.

Mar - 26

2014 - 70.1

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Could be tricky Beachball, but not a bad draw. I see Bayern have a bye to the semi finals! A very strong quarter final line up, i'm quietly confident we will deal with them, especially with the second leg at the bridge. Are you going along?

• Wow some good pick-ups of pace everyone!

Thanks for the sponsorship, page will be there I guess until 6th April?

I admit I definitely run faster/better when people are in close vicinity/drive by! Well I don't want them to think I'm walking/dawdling if I'm in my running gear now do I?image

Was suppose to go out tonight but I feel knackered so I think I will just take it as a rest day and look forward to Sunday now!

Have a good weekend everyone!

• JR - Let's hope so and yes think Utd will get hammered. I don't normally do home games, only my 2nd of the season on Tues, but am on the away scheme with my boys.

That said, I may venture down for PSG, expensive time of the season though.

• JR / Beachball - Think and hope Utd will get beat off Bayern, a very good side

Just back from 7.4 miles, dull and cold here in Gods country

Passed TheStadium of light http://www.footballgroundguide.com/sunderland/ within 10 mins so that's 1 Scottish Ground visited and 3 EPL grounds. On my way to Hull now but its a bit of a treck so maybe not there until end of next month

Weighed myself and according to the BMI thing on NHS site I am overweight. Would love to get down to around 11st 2lb (12st 3b at moment)

Whats everyonee recovery drink of choice ? Just lately I have been having vanilla slimfast, nothing to do with sliming but just all the calories and tastes good to !!

Bought one of those arm wallets for my phone, thought I had a got a bargain on the net - when it arrived not waterproof !! now that's essential living in Scotland, so that was £2.99 wasted !!

Good luck tomorrow Lisa - gonna go for a paddle afterwards lol !!!!

Mummy - Well done on your run for your B'day !!

Right, got some decorating to do, thought we would have sold the house by now so been putting it off but needs must I suppose !!!

Hmm that's was a bit of a mish mash of topics, think ive lost the plot or maybe never even had it !!!

Keep on Keeping on !!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Chocolate Nesquik for me. Milk is a great recovery drink. 

Nice selection of topics there 330, something for everyone I reckon. 

Grendel, half time at the bridge and I bet Arsene wishes he could leave now.

• See Arsenal had the wrong man sent off !!

• I heard they were all telling the ref it was them that handballed it just to get out of there.. hehehehehe

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

lol Beachball, you may be right.....i'm an Arsenal defender.....get me out of here! 

330, the only thing worse than the ref getting the wrong player was Arsenals shameful defending. Wengers 1000th game and his team did not do him proud, feel sorry for the guy. 

• Be honest when I was in London went to WHL a lot

But unlike an Arsenal side to get beat 6, normally have a good defence.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Don't know what the answer is - they have now been beaten by Man City, 6, Liverpool 5 and now Chelsea 6 -Time for a change I think.

• Lisa - if you log in before tomorrow, good luck

Oh and a pic of the medal please !!!image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Hope its gone well today Lisa, look forward to the report.  22 miles run this morning, all done on an empty stomach. We went to MacDonalds for tea, as the plumber was working late, more for convenience than anything else. Macs really not the ideal fuel. Still to be able to do that on an empty stomach and no drink on the way round (shops not open when I passed by)  has given me a lot of confidence.  Downside, was in the kitchen washing, to suddenly notice my feet were wet. Yep the washing machine is leaking. All I wanted to do was sit down.  Oh well 2 more 20s to do. Happy Days.

• Grendel - 22 miles on an empty stomach with no drink id a gargantuan effort !!!! Make sure to hydrate today though !!

You really aren't having much luck on the domestic appliances front are you !!

Lisa - yes as Grendel say hope all went well, looking forward to report - love reading peoples race reports

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Grendel, Wenger inherited a fantastic back five when he started. The current lot just don't seem to have the fight in them. A great footballing team but compared to the very top sides a little soft maybe?

Brilliant running on an empty stomach and not surprised you are feeling confident Grendel. Your training seems to be going extremely well thus far, hope it continues for you......

.....and fingers crossed you have a little more luck with your home soon!

Hydration.....very important in the days leading up to big runs as well as the day itself (I know you people already know that) but so important.

Not run yet today so looks like a head torch run later on. image

• Wow Grendel, that's a fantastic effort!! I haven't managed past 17miles yet, and that had a pit stop for an ice cream!!

330 strangely enough I've got into the habit of having an actimel when I get in after a run?

I've had a great weekend!! We (hubby, son, daughter and I) went to Hastings yesterday to make a wkend of it. We went on the beach, played in the arcades, ate fresh fish, son and I went on the miniature railway, then son and hubby went on the go karts. (not being mean to daughter, she is only 1!) Lovely stock up on food in the Brewers Fayre for dinner then chilled in the Premier Inn and sleep. Alarm set, didn't need it though, everyone was up before it!

Thankfully the sun was shining, and the wind wasn't as cold as Saturday. I managed to keep roughly to a 10min mile pace, losing a few seconds on the ascents and gaining them back on the descents. Conquered most of Queensway hill strong (its just as long as I remember it when I ran it 7years ago). Got a nice refreshing and brief downpour between miles 8 and 9. Support was fantastic for the whole route, so uplifting! Got back down to the seafront for the last 2ish miles, hoping to finish strong, then my calf had other ideas!! Pushed on for as much as I could, then stopped for a quick massage and stretch, then pushed on again, and so on until the finish. Finished it 2 minutes quicker than 7years ago, so chuffed with that. 2hrs, 11mins, 31 secs. Wasn't expecting a pb for such a tough course, especially with my injuries of late. But I was just pleased I finished when I did as about 30 minutes later the heavens opened and the hail came down!! Luckily we managed to find shelter and watch it pass!! I was tempted to paddle in the sea but it turned chilly after the hail and I was too hungry by then lol!!

/members/images/287077/Gallery/Hastings_Half_2014.jpg

Now just to recover, run a few miles to keep me ticking over and some how get me through Brighton in two weeks!! image

Good luck later JR

• Super stuff Lisa.

Sounds like a fab weekend and a lovely medal.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well Lisa, good report, great run!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Brilliant run Lisa, well done you. Nice medal too image

Well, inspired by some great running on the thread, although with a little more fuel on board than Grendel I set out a little earlier than planned. Headed along the canal with a longish run in mind. Settled into a 10mm pace and decided on an hour each way. The first 8 miles were surprisingly a walk in the park. I did start to feel a little tired from then on but kept the pace without much of a struggle and completed 12.5 miles in the end. Very pleased. 

March - 63.84 

2014 - 208.58 - image

• JR - Good run that well done and a good time as well

I need to get back to doing double figs but think will stick with my normal Saturday longer run of just over 7 for a couple of more weeks them maybe up the distance

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Good idea 330, no rush. I think the 20 miler I did has just given me so much confidence, even though it was run, walk, climb the whole way a flat 12 miles seemed easy (in my head). I did ache a bit the last couple of miles but lots of them were just under 10 minutes so maybe I can afford another 30 seconds on top of that if needed as my race pace should be around 8:30mm.

Been talking to a guy at work, a very good club runner and he has told me to get mylong run into double figures as they're great fat burners when you get to 10 plus miles.
  • Hey folks, its all go in here eh?! Well done everyone and great medal! image

Took a couple of days off running, just need to get my head (and legs) around my next challenge. My legs are not in a good mood of late. I think they are trying to convince me that running that far is not a good idea. They are pretending that everything hurts.....bit early guys, the pain will come later.

The mind games have started.