Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• JR - I have only done Londons and Dublin, never smaller one and I can imagine smaller runs, especially your first must be hard

Point 2 - You may feel it beat you mentally but you didn't drop out you fought on and took the race on head to head - you finished and maybe be better mentally prepared next time? I know for my 2nd I did find I was better prepared as in a way I knew what to expect if that makes sence?

Point 3 - Way to go !!!!! that's it mate take the experience use it to make you stronger !!

6 for me today

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Makes perfect sense 330, the head won the battle against the legs this time. Knowing what lies ahead next time will help.

Well done with the 6, you're running some decent mileage again now mate. I'm so tempted to go for a run as I feel pretty good but will resist the temptation and rest my knee.

Reading a new book at the moment, Running Free by Richard Askwith, author of Feet In The Clouds. I'm only on chapter 3 but already hooked.
  • JR name the 50 and ill see if I can make it! image Rest is not to be overlooked. Recovery is as serious as the training, take your time and enjoy the afterglow! image

• Well this week, for me has been a disasterimage, 2X6 miles runs and one today 4.12 (wanted to do 8 but time restrictions) so a grand total of 16 and wont make 100 for month now

However, want to achieve over last months total of 77 and then 100 next month, this will mean constant progression throughougt the year (Jan was first month running since July 2014)

Jan 26.93

Feb 26.28

Mar 38.98

Apr 53.59

May 77.78

Jun (So far) 55.88

Sorry to bore you but I love stats !!!!!!image

Shoes are done cushioning gone, as you know I normally change every 500 miles and these have got 589.58 !!! maybe psychological I guess but will have to wait till after hols in August nowimage

Oh and garmin needed as well cant rely on Runtastic app. Also bloody hard to look at a phone strapped to your arm whilst running !!

Happy running all !!

• Great stuff 330! keep an eye on this one... image

(Forerunner 10 link)

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello everyone image hope you're all doing well.

JR I trust you are recovering from the marathon - how's the knee? Haven't read that one yet - might have to get it to add to the pile of running books by the bed image

B2b that 12 hour thing sounds awesome! Looking at the mental hilly mileage I used to do I reckon in another life I was meant to be an ultra runner!

330 - progress is progress and do not beat yourself up because you haven't achieved a particular target. Reassess and refocus - as you have done. Your progression through the year is brilliant and very clear - use that now to build on. Shame about the shoes - there are lots of good sales online atm though if you know what you want. I highly recommend the basic Garmin 10.

Well, my saga continues....

I think the last time I posted I was plodding round doing the run/walk thing - well my foot reacted even though I was being sensible - all swelled up again. In despair I decided to see a podiatrist and am so glad I did. Apparently far from being an over pronator - I was told this years ago in a running shop so have bought suitable shoes ever since - I don't pronate at all! Not even the pronating that your feet are meant to do so that the midfoot absorbs the shock of landing. All the stress is going through the outside of my heels and as I land heavier on the left side for some reason that one was reacting by swelling up etc. The short of it is that I now have a lovely pair of neutral cushioned shoes (Brooks Ghost 7 - thank you Runner's Need sale!) and am waiting for the orthotics he is making me that will provide even more protection for my heels. Well the new shoes have arrived and I have done three runs in them (no orthotics yet) and they are brilliant - to the extent that I ditched the run/walk (yes, I know I'm not being sensible) and have just run. Twice at my off road flat circuit place and then today I couldn't resist and hit the lanes near my house. So far so good......

So Friday last week 2.53 miles 27.12 mins

Tuesday 2.54 miles 27.07 mins

Today 2.77 miles 31.55 mins

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I think pronation can change over time, so I think it's always worth getting it checked every few years. 

The more mileage you do I reckon the more it smooths itself out over time. 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

B2B, there's a 48 miler not far from me. The West Devon Way Ultra is run in October and if you enter by the end of August the year before you get a bespoke medal and t-shirt as opposed to the generic one everyone else gets. It's £55 (catered) and I'm going to give it serious thought. I'd like to run another marathon before the end of this year and possibly another next Spring/Summer. The Grizzly and Hartland Heartbreaker will be top of my list and maybe the North Devon Marathon, one of the toughest around I'm told. All coastal off road stuff which I enjoy.

The knees not too bad Janey. Some mornings I get on the bike and feel rested and ready to run, others I feel like I've just finished a run. Bit of a mixed bag really. Ran around a bit at football training with the boys last night and ached a little after. Had a little stretch though and feel quite good now. I think I need to get a little run in now to see how I am. I was hoping to go to Parkrun tomorrow but not sure the kids want to go so may settle for an early run along the canal at an easy pace. If I go to Parkrun without the kids I'll end up racing.

I have custom made orthotics (via the NHS). I have worn them for three years now and they are replaced each year. They're due to be done again now. They have made a huge difference. I wear them daily and for road running. Off road they are ditched as the varying terrain etc doesn't suit them.

Like the stats 330, that'll give me something to do at the weekend. I'll try and post mine too.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

First post marathon run completed this morning. Woke up having slept awkward and my neck/back feeling really tight and quite painful (18 holes of footgolf yesterday may have something to do with that). Had a good stretch before walking up to the canal and easing into a gentle 2 miles. Averaged 10:25 per mile so certainly kept the pace easy but just what I needed to get some fresh air, some peace and quiet (no offence kids) and to start the day the right way.

June - 52.02

2015 - 656.35

• sounds like a perfect start to a Sunday

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Here you go 330. 

Jan - 104.20

Feb - 96.79

Mar - 129.27

Apr - 150.55

May - 131.71

Jun - 52.02

Which would suggest I have forgotten to add a run to my total somewhere.

2015 - 664.54 

• My God JR well impressive !!!!

You thought anymore re an Ultra? I would really love to do one just don't know where to start, actually getting some miles in would be a start I guess !!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fat-Man-Green-Unfit-Ultramarathon-ebook/dp/B00H7MDJDO/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435497498&sr=1-15&keywords=ultra+marathon

Theres loads of book on amazon if you look under books and search for Ultra marathon. But the one above looks good

I am on 60 miles for this month so no way am I beating my 77 last but one full month before I go on hols and I simply WILL run 100 miles in July, if I don't I will eat my trainers video it and put it on here for you all to see !!

• JR and 330 - you would both love the ultra folks! image The one by you JR seems pretty well priced. If you are looking about for ultras on a budget take a look at the link belowimage 

http://climbers.net/race/value-ultras.php

Books! Now your talking! I've read tons of running books, just finished Iras one above, pretty good image

Ive got a big list of them on monkey tag but I cant get onto facebook to copy the link until lunch. Ill come back and post it later image

• Am on a FB page Nutters on the Run. Each moth they have a challene, last months was running every day for 3 miles or 25 mins a day, I didnt do it as couldnt post proof of runs but now I have runtastic I can post onto site I am doing this months which is Bonze standard 50 miles silver 75 miles and Gold 100 miles in the month no daily weekly targert just a month target, have to state intentions before start, I am going for Gold give me a goal to aim for. Sorry no paragraphs as posting from phone power lead for laptop knackered.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Have asked to join the page 330, need a little inspiration to get back on track. Went out for just under 5 tonight, very warm, took it easy.

July - 4.86

2015 - 661.21

July target - 100 miles. 2015 target - 1200 miles

• Nice one JR. Have just found out how to put Runtastic stats up. However, a Garmin or Tom Tom stil needed. So far 8.74 this month in 2 hot sticky runs!!
  • keep an eye on ebay 330 image something like the forerunner 10 is enough

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Very warm 5k with Mrs JR at lunchtime. Not the best time of day to run but the only time we could both go together before collecting kids. Parkrun tomorrow image

July - 7.96

2015 - 664.31

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello all image

Nice mileage JR!

330 that fb page sounds like great motivation - particularly if you can't be in a club.

B2b post the booklist please!

Well things are progressing nicely down here in glorious Somerset. I have continued with the running rather than the walk/running and the week panned out like this:

Sunday 3.26 miles in 34.15

Tuesday 2.77 hilly miles in 29.59 (2.92 flat equivalent)

Thursday 2.92 miles in 29.00

then today - tadaa image I decided to give the local parkrun a shot as my daughter needed a lift there anyway and I did it in 30.31 (30.26 by my timing but shan't quibble). I was delighted as I thought that if I could get anywhere near 30 I would be happy. However, ever shifting goal posts and all that...I now want to get under 30 mins. But considering 3 weeks ago I was unable to run at all I am very grateful to have been there and very happy with the result. Onwards and upwards!

Hope everyone has a great weekend's running and otherwise image

• Janey, well done great news

I also like a good running book and am looking to get this for my hols

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fat-Man-Green-Unfit-Ultramarathon-ebook/dp/B00H7MDJDO/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435497498&sr=1-15&keywords=ultra+marathon

any other recommendations greatfully received !!

Yes the page is inspiring and definetly helps with motivation !! am on 20 miles so far so only another 80 miles to go this month upwards and onwards !!

July 20.12

2015 303.26

• so folks been busy at work. As promised, the book list!

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

Ultramarathon man confessions of an all-night runner by Dean Karnazes

26.2 stories of blisters and bliss by Dean Karnazes

The Ghost Runner by Bill Jones

what i talk about when i talk about running by Haruki Murakami

how to running fast and injury free by Gordon Pirie

Chi running by Danny Dreyer

Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn

Running on empty by Marshall Ulrich

The Looniness of the long distance runner by Russell Taylor

Human Evolution, Diet and Health: The Case for Palaeolithic Nutrition by Mark Hines

Fitness confidential by Vinnie Tortorich

Everything will work out in the long run by Dave Urwin

Running and Stuff by James Adams

Waterlogged by Tim Noakes

Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley

Run Fat Bitch Run by Ruth Field (not a must read but OK)

Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry

YOU (Only Faster) by Greg Mc Millan

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

Running Crazy by Helen Summer

It's Just Four Times Round The Village - Helen Stothard

824 - PJG Robbins - his journey to the MdS

80/20 Running - Matt Fitzgerald

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll

Fat Man to Green Man by Ira Rainey

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Thanks B2b image read a few of those but will look out some of the others now.

Phil Hewitt Keep on running - the highs and lows of a marathon addict is also well worth a read.

I reckon you'll do it this month 330 image

I've had a couple more good runs:

Monday did a hilly 3.07 miles in 30.51 courtesy of pacing by my youngest daughter who wasn't even out of breath!

Today decided to extend the mileage a bit and set the Garmin virtual pacer to 10.30 to slow it down a bit - but still ran faster! A very enjoyable 4.27 in 42.41 mins on my flat trail loop followed by an hour of weights etc in the gym.

• For some reason I cant see B2B post re books, I can see in the index its saying theres a post but when I go into here I cannot see it !! But Janey I have seen the one you mention that also looks good.

Am on 35 miles so far so should get 100 but would love 114 get biggest month for at least 5 years. Your doing brilliant Janey keep it going !! 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

The 'nice mileage' didn't last long Janey. Really haven't been feeling it lately and haven't run since Friday. Really needed to see you guys & girls logging some miles to give me motivation so was pleased to see your posts. Got out earlier this evening for a steady 4 miles along the canal. I've had better runs but really need that. Had a good stretch post run and looking forward to getting going again.

I haven't been to a club night for ages now so the fb page will be a great motivator for me too hopefully. 

Here's that list 330

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (Highly recommend this - JR)

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

Ultramarathon man confessions of an all-night runner by Dean Karnazes

26.2 stories of blisters and bliss by Dean Karnazes

The Ghost Runner by Bill Jones (Highly recommend this - JR)

what i talk about when i talk about running by Haruki Murakami

how to running fast and injury free by Gordon Pirie

Chi running by Danny Dreyer

Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn (Highly recommend this - JR)

Running on empty by Marshall Ulrich

The Looniness of the long distance runner by Russell Taylor (Highly recommend this - JR)

Human Evolution, Diet and Health: The Case for Palaeolithic Nutrition by Mark Hines

Fitness confidential by Vinnie Tortorich

Everything will work out in the long run by Dave Urwin

Running and Stuff by James Adams

Waterlogged by Tim Noakes

Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley

Run Fat Bitch Run by Ruth Field (not a must read but OK)

Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry

YOU (Only Faster) by Greg Mc Millan

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

Running Crazy by Helen Summer

It's Just Four Times Round The Village - Helen Stothard

824 - PJG Robbins - his journey to the MdS

80/20 Running - Matt Fitzgerald

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll

Fat Man to Green Man by Ira Rainey

I have quite a few to list and will do so soon.

July - 12.06

2015 - 668.41

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Slinger Sanchez, running gun. - Bruce Glikin

Distant Runner - Bruce Glikin

Feet in the Clouds - Richard Askwith

Running Free - Richard Askwith

The memory of running - Ron Mclarty

Dead man running - billy Isherwood

A life without limits - Chrissie Wellington

The long run of Myles Mayberry - Alfred Alcorn

Once a runner - John L Parker

Again to Carthage - John L Carthage

Pre, America s greatest running legend

Life at these speeds - Jeremy Jackson

Have a few more to add....
  •  

Im reading this at the moment....

Bunion Derby: The 1928 Footrace across America

Its really quite good im enjoying it a lot

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Wasn't going to go today but couldn't resist it when I got up - 3.04 miles in 32.34 mins on my lovely hilly lanes. Pace slightly slower without my daughter alongside me - but that's possibly a good thing. Still can't quite believe that I'm doing this again - it's the most amazing feeling! image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Brilliant Janey image You're right, it won't do any harm to have an easy 3 miles. It's great to get out early, such a good feeling. I, on the other hand ran 5.5 very warm miles along the canal with Mrs JR after work today. We took it nice and easy due to the heat but so glad I got out.

That sounds like the book I read B2B, although under a slightly different name. The Great Trans-America footrace which was set up by Charles C. Pyle. It's a wonderful read and a story I read certainly read again one day.

July - 17.56

2015 - 673.91

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

This week's question......will I finally make it to Parkrun in the morning? No excuses with a whole weekend off!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Parkrun done with Mrs JR and the boys this morning. I ran with my eldest boy and was really impressed with him. He has a pb of 29:00 which was achieved when we were regular but despite the long break he cruised round the course in 29:30. It gave him such a confidence boost and I really enjoyed running with him. My youngest boy ran with Mrs JR and suffered an apparent catalogue of "injuries" on the way round bless him. I think he may have been a little tired. My daughter didn't run as she's gone off to Rugby club now. I'm off to play tennis with the boys now.

Have a great weekend all

July - 20.62

2015 - 677.03