Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

JaneyH you must be so happy to be out again but remember not too much too soonimage. Running is a simple sport but so exhilarating !!

Well done getting out JR sound like fun with all the family - brilliant!!image

Well still on my 100 mile quest, in fact 114 to beat my best month for many a year. So today 8.21 to get me to 50.02 (and yes the 0.02 IS important !!)

I like the look of the book Running with the Kenyans, loads of suggestions and choice Thanks !!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

lol 330, I added the 0.02 this morning too image

Running with the Kenyans is a fantastic read.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Will add that book to my wishlist 330. Mr Finn lives just down the road from me, I've seen him at a few local races. 

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Great family running JR image I love running with my daughter - but it only happens if she wants to go really slowly! She's making the transition atm from 200/400m track sprinter to 800m plus cross country etc and she's loving being able to do the longer runs. I'll make a marathoner of her yet!

330 that's brilliant! image you are so on target now and really seem to be clocking up the miles - you must be feeling good about it. Yes I will be sensible (haha) I'm trying not to get carried away and having a rest today and tomorrow so that I can get back to it on Monday. I increased my weekly mileage from just under 9 to 10.5 last week so I think I will do another week of that before increasing again.

Off to Surrey this week for son's graduation - a First Class Masters in Physics no less - very proud mummy! Gets his scientific brain from me obviously image

Definitely second Running with the Kenyans - I might have to reread it now!

• Options

JR - ah yeah it sounds like the same book. Im really enjoying it so far.

Running with the Kenyans is a great read you wont be disappointed 330 image

The easiest way for me to catch up with the thread a bit is to post my blog entry!

http://cardiosaurus.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-update-without-fanfare.html

Well done everyone for keeping on! 

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Monday morning 4.64 miles in 46.33 mins image

• Options

JaneyH well done well on the road back !!

JR - Couldn't get ma an authograohed copy could you ? lol !!!!

Another 5 means 55 for the month. But over the last few days after eachreun I feel what can only be described as a bruising feeling deep in the heel of my right heel and its sore to walk on and my lower leg feels sore, hope its just the fact I am desperate for new shoes as these have over 640 miles on them breaking my own rule of only 500 before being replaced. However this will have to wait until after my hols !! But am determined to get 114 miles for this month

Happy running allimage

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Thanks 330 image you are well on the way to that target now - you still have half the month left to do it! Unfortunately it does sound like worn out shoes - I know you need to wait but do be careful that you don't end up injured.

Well I was sensible today and did 40 minutes on the cross trainer as non impact and then will rest tomorrow.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

You must be very proud Janey image

330, I did think of taking my copy along to be signed lol. Go easy with that heel, don't go putting yourself on the couch for next month.

B2B, the book I read was 'Flanagan's Run'. It's a novel about the Bunion derby. I guess I ought to read the real thing too but it was a great book none the less.

A fairly crap start to the month for me. Too many excuses, lie ins and a lack of motivation. I loved Parkrun with the kids, but the rest of the running has been lacklustre to say the least. Did 4 miles along the canal tonight, it was not enjoyable. I met 6 other runners and not one said hello, reminding me of your blog post B2B and confirming Richard Askwith's comments about 'big running' in the book I'm currently reading, Running Free. You would really like this book B2B

I'm off out with a friend tomorrow, 8-10 miles off road so fingers crossed that'll do the trick.

July - 24.62

2015 - 681.03

• Options

JR - well after your marathon, and the focus on that its to be expected. Hopefully tomorrow helps the motivation - what you got planned as the next race?

JaneyH - Sensible approach, good work!!

Trainers defo on way out, meshing on front starting to go and heels worn, part of the rubber, detaching slightly. Last time I go over the 500 miles !!

Will be carefull but will be getting 100 at least this month. Got 2 weeks warm weather rest coming up!! Got my eyes on shiny new shoes when I get back

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/miz1712/mizuno-wave-inspire-11-running-shoes-~-ss15/

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Tough 8.8 off roader tonight. Haven't uploaded it yet but it was bloody hilly. No race entries yet 330 but have three or four in mind over the next 4 months or so.

July 33.42

2015 - 689.83
  • Options

JR - ah ive just finished it now it was - the Bunion Derby: The 1928 Footrace across America. Really good, bit short but a nice read image

Got off my ass and trotted out a 10k. Nothing special but was nice to get it done. It was more about trying to claw back some mojo than the actual run.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting out B2B. Sometimes I think you have to reform the habit.

The novel Flanagan's Run is just short of 500 pages long and I would thoroughly recommend it. It's a great story.

Two hours of football last night in the annual Lads v Dads matches at training last night. Off for a run with Mrs JR this afternoon.
  • Options

I haven't raced properly since 2007 !! But got Great Scottish Half and will see after that if I want to do more,

8.02 today

July - 72.99

2015 - 356.13

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

JR you will get your mojo back - mind you a hilly 8 plus miler sounds like you have but you need to love it again which will come. Hope you had a good run with Mrs JR.

330 you are going great guns image you obviously have got your running head well back on!

I did a very hot and hilly 4.63 miles in a slightly slower 50.27 on Thursday after we got back from Surrey - very pleased with doing that distance on the hills though. Then today - fanfare please imageimage did parkrun and knocked almost a minute off last time - 3.13 miles (according to garmin) in 29.43 so 9:30 min/miles which I am chuffed to bits with - particularly as looking at my pace on the garmin stats I kept it pretty steady throughout.

Added bonus that Mr H did it with me - he hasn't run for well over a year - although he does cycle 12 miles a day to and from work - 27.44 for him.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend image

• Options

JaneyH well done you !!! Soon be back at your previous level, taking it slowly is so sensible !!

Out for 6 today so on 79.03 for the month. Actually it seems easier to get out virtually every day than it does to go out once or twice a week - suppose its momentum. Am feeling good and taking up that challenge on the Nutters on the Run page has inspired me !! Have mastered the Runtastic app as well and can put my miles up to prove I am not skiving !!

But shoes all but gone and started splitting on the mesh over by the toes, cushioning gone as well. To add insult to injury bloody dog chewed laces last nightimage and had to get laces out of old trainers so now have one blue laced trainer one black !! I am normally so carefull first time shes ever got hold of them !!!

Happy running all

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Well done on the Parkrun Janey. We had a football tournament yesterday so had to miss it, lots of free Saturdays coming up though so looking forward to getting a few in. Well done MR H too.

330, I agree, going once or twice is hard work. I think you need to be out three times a week to keep the momentum going. Time to replace those shoes by the sounds of it lol.

Mrs JR is suffering a bit at the moment with her foot so Fridays run was cancelled. She offered to cycle alongside me but I felt guilty so had the day off. I went out for a steady 5k today along the canal, it was hot and felt harder than it should have. Going to make a concerted effort starting next week to get back into a rhythm. 

July 36.52 

2015 - 692.93

• Options
    PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭

It was a year ago today I struggled to complete my first proper run, a mere 2 miles in around 25 minutes, and here I am a year later and lot fitter, a lot stronger and generally much happier and healthier. I've achieved what I wanted to achieve (so far) and have medals for 5k, 10k, 10 miles, half marathon and full marathon. I've no idea what the next year will bring but I hope I can continue to simply carry on enjoying my running with the fabulous support from the good people who use this forum and have helped me along the way.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    I had an easy(ish) 3 miles after work yesterday. It was crap. Every run I have done since the marathon has been crap, apart from parkrun with my kids. I think I'll get back on the bike and give the running a break if today's run is no better. Just not enjoying it.

July 39.52

2015 - 695.93
  • Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

330 I'm afraid I laughed about your dog and the shoes - sorry! So pleased you're feeling great atm - I agree it develops a momentum of its own.

PompeyMatt inspiring stuff - it really helps to read things like that.

JR I'm really sorry you're feeling so crap atm image sometimes it happens when you have achieved the goal you spent so long working towards, and you just lose the incentive. I hope you had a better run yesterday - but if you give it up for a while you might get the hunger for it back - and please don't leave us!

Well I'm a pretty happy bunny atm - on Monday I did a ludicrously hilly 4.15 miles - the sort where you turn the corner, see the hill and laugh out of desperation. Then once you've done that there is another - nice views from the top though. I actually really enjoyed it - I'm one of those strange people that loves hills and I find the downs harder than the ups.

Today I decided to explore pastures new and extend the distance somewhere flat so I parked in Taunton and ran along the Taunton to Bridgewater canal - a gorgeous early morning run and a very pleasing 6.51 miles at a steady10:40 pace. Will definitely do that one again and can see the potential to extend it.

Might do parkrun on Saturday or the hills again, then next week I've planned a recovery week as I've been building the mileage for 4 weeks now - so just 3 short local runs and I might even leave the garmin at home!

Hope everyone has a great weekend when it arrives image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Much, much better run today. Took a few days off again and went to watch MRS JR take part in the Pretty Muddy Race for Life on Saturday morning. Not usually my kind of thing these mass participant man made obstacle runs but despite the fact you spent more time waiting to get in and out of the venue it was an extremely fun morning. Watching numerous people getting covered in mud while on a run was refreshing and it reminded me of the social side of the sport.

For anyone who's unaware the Iron Cowboy finished his 50th Ironman in 50 days in 50 states today, an unbelievable achievement. 

Quite a few friends also took part in the Honiton Triathlon today too so I had plenty of inspration to run. I finally got out this afternoon for an (almost) pain free 5 miles. Enjoyed quite a bit of it too.

July 44.52 

2015 - 700.93 image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Entered a local 4 mile trail run too, next Saturday at a village up the road. It's 4 miles of woodland trails, streams and fields. Just what's needed I think.

• Options

Glad to see you back at it JR

Finally got to 104 for month on Saturday !! now for 114 and biggest month in a good few years

July 104.78

2015 387.92

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Brilliant 330, pleased for you. Hopefully I can step it up slowly now and get back in the groove. 

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

5k after work today. Kept the pace easy and it almost felt as such. Resisted the temptation to speed up over the last mile but the fact the legs felt loose gave me a boost.

July 47.62 

2015 - 704.03

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

5 mile multi terrain run with Mrs JR this afternoon. Very hot but enjoyable run.

July 52.62 

2015 - 709.03

• Options

JR - Good one well done

I finished July on 121 miles. Out today for 6

Am off to Zante on 6/8 to see our best friends from London haven't seen him for 2 years so will be a blow out. In a way I wish I could have a free month to build on July

BUT one thing I learned is higher mileage is the key, momentum is the key. I had yesterday off but today felt energised. I love this sport and wish I was younger and I would defo get my 3.30 for the marathon !!

Got my copy of Running with the Kenyans today and so want to read it but want to keep for holidays !!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Ran the Umberleigh Rural Run today with Mrs JR. Despite a lovely cool morning by 3 in the afternoon it was scorching. We were really thankful it was just 4 miles. The run took us around the outskirts of the village, along a nice trail before heading uphill. The first three miles took us up over 400 feet of climb before a fast final mile, very downhill and very hard on the knees. A great little run and we won a £20 voucher for a local pub in the raffle which does great food too.

Aug - 4.08 

2015 - 713.11

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Save the book 330, you'll love it. I think we all wish we were younger again but it's not just more running I'd like to do, it's more everything. Not sure there's enough time for it all.....let's just hope we all come back....as runnersimage