Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Another run after work today. Tried to keep it easy and managed a comfortable 5ish miles. It was very warm...

Aug - 8.93 

2015 - 717.96

• Guys

Off to Zante Thursday and run my last run

Mid way through last month terrible pain on right sole felt as if arch collapsing. Last run Saturday was agony for first mile. I know I need new shoes and will get them on my return and hopefully 2 weeks rest will do me good

Happy running all

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello image sorry it's been ages but I've been so busy!

JR good to see you getting back into it - I really hope it continues.

330 - you have had an fantastic month - have an amazing holiday and looking forward to hearing about the new shoes on your return!

I've managed to keep it up - now doing 5/6 miles 3 times a week at varying paces and gradually increasing one run into a longer one each week, so I'm pretty happy. I'm mixing that with the weights sessions and cross training a couple of times a week too. I've entered the Taunton 10k at the end of September so I have a goal now!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Have a great break 330 image

Going well Janey. I'm going to add some strength training to my weekly schedule, starting with 10 minutes twice a week. Mrs JR and I may be running the Taunton 10k, we've run it a few times and it's on our wedding anniversary. 

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Very happy runner image another parkrun pb - 28.23 (by the garmin - 28.26 officially). That's over 2 minutes off since my first one the time before last and averaged 9:06 min/miles - well chuffed with that image

Oooh if you do it JR we'll have to say hello!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Well done on the Parkrun PB Janey. That's great! image

e're just trying to sort a babysitter for the children and hopefully we'll be there. Would be great to meet someone from this thread. Do you have a target time in mind?

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    Thanks JR! Umm as fast as I can?! If I could get around the 60 minutes mark I'd be happy tbh. What about you and Mrs JR?
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

I reckon Mrs JR will be happy to get round in under an hour We both trained hard last year and got sub 50 10k's, it took a huge effort thugh and neither of us has been running much lately. I guess we'll see how the training goes as I'm sure her competitive instinct will kick in closer to the day. 

I've been a little lazy this week and haven't run since Tuesday. I'll be out tomorrow morning for a gentle few miles, hopefully before most people are awake. 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Keep up the recent good work and you'll be a shoe in for sub 60 based on your 5k Janey image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Had practically a week off before going for a gentle 2 miles with Mrs JR Tuesday evening. Went out for a steady 5k tonight. My knee feels stronger now and the stretches I'm doing must be helping. Entered the Haldon Forest Flyer at the end of this month, a 5 mile trail run so time to get back into it now.

Aug - 14.03 

2015 - 723.06

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Lovely 5 mile run today with Mrs JR. Ran along the lanes on my usual 5m road loop but ran it backwards, the hard way. Two decent inclines that get the legs and lungs working before a downhill stretch that lures you into a false sense of security as you hit the level for the last mile and realise your legs are getting tired. 

Aug - 19.03 

2015 - 728.06

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Parkrun this morning with the family. A wonderful morning running around Killerton. The sun was out, the mud still fresh and muddy puddles galore. I ran with my eldest boy and we're pretty sure he set a new pb, running 28:54. Very proud of him as he was clearly starting to feel it during the last mile and once over the finish line he had nothing left. I had to let him know today that I had told him a little white lie. It doesn't get easier as I'd promised him, you just get better.

Aug - 22.13 

2015 - 731.16

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

I get my mojo back and I've no-one to share it with image

Gentle 10k around the lanes, picking the pace up over the last 1/2 mile or so. I even stopped for a chat with a chap who's moved in down the road. He's a former runner looking to get back out there so may have a rival on my route soon image

Aug - 28.33 

2015 - 737.36

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    Oh no image so sorry I've just been busy and tbh lazy about posting but I have been reading all yours with interest image

I'm so pleased it's coming back for you and by the sound of it with a vengeance image do you know yet if you and Mrs JR are doing the Taunton 10k?

I've been building steadily - a couple of 5+ miles a week and one longer one that I'm gradually stretching - should be up to 8 miles this coming week image

Did you start the strength training JR? I have just bought an excellent book by Jeff Horowitz about strength training specifically for running - it has programmes to follow and looks excellent - I start tomorrow!
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi Janey, Mrs JR & I are indeed running the Taunton 10k. We're also running the Haldon Forest Flyer in a few weeks time. 

Mrs JR ran 8.5 miles this morning, I ran 10k so we're both getting back into the swing of it. I've been stretching religiously and it's certainly helping.

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    Excellent we'll have to try and say hello image

I am totally anal about stretching and do it religiously after every run - I don't know if it helps but I'm not going to risk not doing it!
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

I reckon it works for those who need it. I know people who never stretch but they clearly don't have issues. I do dynamic stretches before and static after. 

Will definitely say hello, it'll be great to meet someone from the thread. Will arrange a meeting place nearer the time image

• Hey folks, sorry ive been so quiet I was on holiday in Canada image Got 4 runs in while away, 2 of which in the beautiful Banff. A 4 and a 5 mile round the lodge surrounded by stunning mountains......bliss.

One of the other runs was along a river into downtown Calgary a nice 8.5 miler and the final run was around the local town of Rundle, a gentle 5k with a mile of it barefoot on some really smooth path image

Pretty much just ticking away until St Albans Stampede on the 5th September, a 12 hour 4 mile loop image

Well done everyone for keeping on, its especially nice to see JR doing so well again, great stuff!! image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Nice running B2B. I'm away on my hols in Devon now and got a nice little trail run done this morning. The loop along the nature walk is only 2 miles so may either do 2 laps tomorrow or find another route.
  • very nice! I have a couple of pictures on my latest blog of where I was running...

(click here)

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Well it had to happen sometime - first run since starting back where I haven't felt the love image it felt hard and hot  hilly, and my big toenail is sore as it's about to fall off so all in all I felt like I was struggling. 6.25 miles in 1:07 so I'm still hopeful of a sub 60 10k as I think the route is fairly flat. Although to add insult to injury today my garmin didn't record the elevation for some reason - and there definitely was plenty! I suppose I did do a hard 7 miles with club on Tuesday night so maybe I should have left it till tomorrow - oh well.

B2b your holiday sounds idyllic! Hope yours is going well too JR. Only another week or so then we are off to Normandy - plenty of flat runs there!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

That's not bad going on your own Janey. There's still a fair bit of training to be done before Taunton so one 'not great' run is nothing to worry about. The Taunton course is fairly flat, one steady but deceiving incline near the start but after that it's pretty good going. I always start my finish kick too early due to the loudspeaker calling in the runners as you approach the finish. image

Went fishing with the kids this morning, my daughter thrashed the boys in our annual competition catching 9 before lunch to the boys combined 4. I went off this afternoon for an off road run, very muddy and very slippery. Off road shoes were worn for the first time in a while.

reallyu hoping the kids are up for Parkrun tomorrow. It'll be a slightly earlier start than normal but we did manage to do it last year while on holiday so we'll set the alarms.

Aug - 33.80

2015 - 742.83

• Hi all

That's me back from my hols in Zante. One run only this month but get back into it tomorrow

My foot was getting much better until the last day when my mate pushed me in the shallow end and I smashed it on the pool floor. But feels OK now. New shoes for me end of month as old ones well past sell by date.

So put on a bit of weight and have decided to make a long term goal to keep me going and its to run 1000 miles before next years hols (booked for 23/7 next year booked while we were away) and loose 2 stone.

Glad to see everyones doing so well

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Welcome back 330 image

Parkrun with Mrs JR and the kids last weekend while on holiday. Ran a 5k along the road where we were staying before Mrs JR and I ran the Haldon Forest Flyer this evening, a 5 mile trail run.

I was aware I was carrying a few pounds extra from my holiday but started off the Flyer at a steady pace. After the first mile I settled down and found my stride. Two miles in and I was feeling the pace. Three miles in and all of a sudden things clicked into gear and I put in a really good mile (7:17). The last mile was all uphill though and what a hill. I was close to vomiting by the top and the guy I ran up it with was actually sick. Got a medal at the finish line and was nice to race.Parkrun tomorrow.

Aug - 45.84

2015 - 754.87 image

• Well done JR

Good luck at Park run

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Parkrun abandoned! No-one seemed to want to get up this morning, me included. Currently putting our tent up in the garden to air, trying to get ahead before the Newcastle v Arsenal game at lunchtime. Will go out tomorrow for a peaceful Sunday run. Well and truly got running mojo back but need more miles and routine. Hopefully get right back into it now post hols.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Gentle 10k in the rain this morning. Took it really easy, needed that.

Entered the ballot for next years Grizzly image

Aug - 52.04

2015 - 761.07 

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello image Sounds like a great race JR and you definitely have your mojo back image Welcome back 330 - good goals - hope the new shoes are working their magic.

Well I had last week completely off running as my shins have been really sore. Did my runs on the cross trainer instead so as not to lose fitness - I swear it was much harder - and more tedious. Back to it today and first time wearing compression socks - felt a bit of a prat tbh but my goodness do they work! Never want to take them off! Definitely be my choice for all runs from now on. Did a lovely 5.5 miles in 55:27 mins along the river and really pleased with the pace - a lot of it was at around 9:30 min/miles which is my target pace for the 10k.

Off to France tomorrow and hoping to get some good runs in along the Normandy beaches.

Au revoir - and good running all.

• 3.5 miles tonight along the canal. Spotted a hornets nest (increased pace) and a heron carrying it's tea along the canal bank.

Was meant to run 4x400m @ 5k pace but good 30 seconds off that so need to get back to training schedule!

Aug - 55.52

2015 - 764.55

• Morning all

New shoes haven't arrived as yet so am off out today in the old ones,Only 13 miles since coming back from holiday is not good