Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Nice gentle run around town after work with Mrs JR, just under 4 miles.

Sep - 7.35

2015 - 768.42

• Hey guys, it's been a while.

Some of you know me by now, dip in and out as I go. I have been doing a bit of cycling and have just started running again (3 runs back, just under 2 miles) and it's great to be out there again.

It's getting near that time of year where the ballot results will be announced and I get that lovely commiserations magazine land on the mat. But just in case I thought it wise to try and get something going.

I haven't read back over all the pages but enough to see the dedication still going strong and, I'll be honest, it is motivation right there.

So thanks as always and keep up the good work. The aim is to be park running again within a month.

• image Hi Beachball! Good to hear you're back running, and in the ballot too. Fingers crossed for you as it's a huge motivator having a marathon to train for. Keep us up to date with your running.

5k in 25:45 this morning, way off pace but I knew that before I started so not too disappointed as I didn't go flat out. Warm up/down made 4.4 for today. Slowly but surely getting back into a routine.

Sep - 11.75

2015 - 772.82

• Nice steady 3.5 miles this evening after work.

Sep - 15.25

2015 - 776.32

• Thanks JR.

Up at 5am - 14 hour day - get home - and straight out the door to do 2.2 miles. Safe to say I well and truly have my mojo back (for the time being anyway). image

• Good man, that's dedication image

• 3.74 tonight. Faster bit in the middle. Rest day tomorrow.

Sep - 18.99

2015 - 780.06

• Thanks JR and good running.

Bit quiet on here. Did I walk in and everyone walk out? Not the first time that would have happened image

Another 2 miles on the long road back.

• 3.12 with Mrs JR after work today. Nice and easy. Certainly quiet in here now BB, 330 pops in and Janey too, B2B rarely and not heard from grendel for quite some time now. I was going to stop posting after my marathon but a shame for the thread to disappear. There is a thread on facebook called 'nutters on the run'. I've been posting on there but losing interest already to be honest. Otherwise, there's a thread on here... 

Running 1000 miles in 2015

A good bunch and motivating!

Sep - 22.11

2015 - 783.18

• Thanks JR I will check it out.

Another steady 2 miles this evening. How motivating was watching the GNR this morning? Looking forward to hearing from a friend tomorrow who ran it.

Happy running all..image

• 10k after work today in 56:30. Nice easy first mile then steady all the way. Put it in over the last half mile and felt pretty good. Sub 55 for Taunton in 2 weeks will do.

Sep - 28.31

2015 - 789.38

• Hi all

Not been on much lately sorry. But after I come back from Hols Aug 21 only run 20 miles odd but foot pain persists. Mostly in the heel of my right foot seems and feels like its bruised, obviously new shoes need bedding in and it almost feels as if I am to heavy?

Pain seems to go when I run. Determined to run the GSR 4 Oct but may not be pretty !!

• If you're that determined 330 then run it. Once it's done I think you should seriously consider seeing a Physio. New shoes really don't need bedding in much these days. They certainly shouldn't be giving discomfort.
  • The pain actually started in my old shoes, as you know I normally change every 500, and I was 750 in them. Today actually felt much better, shoes have 25 miles on and also feel better

Will give it a whike as physios are so expensive and are never just one visit. Although JR your right I should go

• Im still lurking around folks image I haven't been posting much of late due to basically being on too many groups! Ive also been on holiday and done quite a few events and had a busy time at work. I guess I kind of lost my posting mojo for a bit. Ive not even really been blogging, just bouncing from event to event and felt like maybe it wasn't the most productive thing to be posting here.

Im so glad to see you guys keeping on, you have all been very busy too I see! image

Just as a bit of a re-cap my year has gone a bit like this...

March - Mill Hill Marathon

April - Double London Marathon

June - London Enduro 12hr

September 5th - St Albans Stampede 12hr

and about 20 parkruns.

Ive got Loch Ness Marathon next week with Mummysaurus, really looking forward to it!! image

After that I have Stort 30 on October 25th then its time for a rest and get back to some actual training!! I have pretty much coasted through this year from event to event doing hardly anything in between. I can just chalk this year up to being an "interesting" experiment. Conclusion is that while you CAN get through that many events off the back of the others, its simply not as fun. I have found myself just getting things done rather than feeling like I was really giving everything my best.

Time for that to change me thinks.

• Had no idea where I was running tonight. Dropped my daughter to rugby training and headed along a public footpath. Fields, mud.... lots of mud. Back onto the road, along a bridleway and a new route found. 4.2 miles in total.

Sep - 32.51

2015 - 793.58

• I need to do a bit of that! Ive been running the same routes for quite a while now

• Will adjust last night's run slightly now I have the garmin mapped route. Was a little worried about time with having to pick up my daughter but kept the rugby posts in sight!

Using strava now as a few friends are on there, love the way it picks out a stretch within a run and compares you to others on strava. I ran a fairly decent hill just over 1km long and I'm 3rd out of 6 people who have ran it on strava. I took it easy and finished 2 minutes behind the quickest person so maybe use that as a hill session and see if I can get close. Not much chance of making up 2 mins over a km but won't do any harm to try. The garmin map has enabled me to make a decent loop and as much as I lo e off toad the little field will be missed next time. The entrance was very overgrown and the mud shin deep for about 20 yards due to cattle. I had to drive home bare foot!
  • ha ha ha love the mud but its not always so great in the sandals. Im looking into maybe trying a pair of Walsh PB ultra over the winter and really head for the nasty muddy stuff image

• Will take a seat cover and a spare pair of shoes next week. Usually very organised but got caught out a bit. Not sure the bridleway and footpaths have seen much traffic recently. All good fun though.
  • I wear Salomon speedcross 3s in the mud. They're soooo comfy.
  • I had the Speedcross 2 when I first started, great shoe but my feet are so wide now I could never get in them!

• The 3s are still snug but do have a bigger toe box. Going to look at something with a rock plate too, quite a bit of coastal running on my future agenda and something I need to seriously consider.
  • I think new balance do quite a lot of stuff with rock plates?

• I'll have a look. I might post a thread and ask for advice. I wouldn't wear them often so don't want to spend a fortune but at the same time don't want to spend twice because I buy cheap crap.
  • indeed! personally im not keen on rock plates as it then doesnt flex the way I like but then again im used to running in sandals and feeling everything!

• I'm starting again from the beginning and loving every minute of it. It's a long story but I'll keep  it brief. Quick history about  myself. I'm 51 now. When I was 17 I started cycle racing and was successful  at that for 20 years. I retired from that and started running with a degree of success between injury.4 years ago I was mixing running and cycling. When I was cycling to work one day I was hit by a car and smashed my left hip. When reconstruction wasn't successful I had a total  hip replacement a year later, so thought my running days were over. Packed in cycling too as I didn't want to be amongst traffic anymore. So for the last 3 years I have been doing hiit sessions on my spin bike. It wasn't until my wife decided she needed to get fitter and lose weight that I suggested we go out jogging  (only jogging at the moment ) together and also introduce our 7 year old daughter to it. I've not run for 4 years since my accident so now I'm starting from scratch using the pose method of running as I have to keep shock to my false hip to a minimum. Just a week in and I have the running bug again and love it. At the moment all my runs are about 20 mins but am already doing 10 minute miles(pleased with that).When with my wife and daughter,plus baby  (15 month old) in in jogger pram we do a mix of jogging and walking. I still have my old running shoes that are designed for heel strike so am going to invest in some minimalistic shoes to improve my pose method. I'd love to race again, mainly shorter distances like 10ks etc. Because of the hip I will avoid marathons. 

• Welcome to the thread Stemaka. Great to hear that despite all the setbacks you have the determination to get back into it and to include the family is brilliant. Do you hav a parkrun local to yourself? They're great for families!

Went out with Mrs JR after work for her birthday run. Unfortunately, her run was halted pretty quick as she felt a little off colour. She insisted I continued (I needed no excuse) and off I went. 4.85 miles in 42 minutes. Pretty pleased with that.

Sep - 38.36

2015 - 798.43

• Welcome Stemaka

Well done JR

That's number arrived for Great Scottish run, first race of any distance since 2007. 56th half and 92nd race of all distance in total