Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Park run sounds great,but my wife and daughter are new to exercise never mind running. I'll give a few months and if they are still at it then a park run should be ok by then.well done on you running "just run". That 38.36 time you have there, is it for a 10k?  My pb for 10k was 35.00 I'd did 10 years ago.

• Options

Race number......image Nice one 330

38.36 was my September mileage Stemaka. My 10k pb is 49:11. No chance of me ever reaching sub 40 i'm afraid.

Nice gentle 5k along the canal this morning. 800 miles up for the year.

Sep - 41.46

2015 - 801.53 image

• Options

Lonest run for moths was yesterdays 8 miles. Hey, whats another 5 no problem!!!

• Options

welcome Stemaka image Fantastic job getting back at it again, well done!

330 - oooo I love getting race numbers!! 8 miles, well done that's great! Feels nice to get some consistency back eh?

Hope Mrs JR feels better. Wow JR 800 already, brilliant!

Loch Ness this weekend, he he he I cant wait!!! Really want to try and get a PB (4:45) but will just have to see how it goes on the day.

Keep on keeping on folks!

• Options
    330, you'll be fine. You have the miles in your legs to do a half, and more importantly you have it in your head.

Good luck at Loch Ness B2B. I'm missing the long runs at the moment, time to start building again.

It's been a strange year for me. Building up early in the year off the back of a good winter, I ran the Grizzly and heartbreaker, two very tough off roaders, moved onto my first marathon and then it all went a bit flat. Lost my mojo a bit, bit got it back now and time to get back into a proper routine. July and august were pretty rubbish but September has been better. 800 miles with over 3 months left this year is way above what I've done before (650-700?) so not sure why I should feel anything other than pleased. Taunton 10k this Sunday but not really looking forward to it as I'm not race fit, nowhere near. Should be running sub 50 but I'll be lucky to hit sub 55.

Need to shift a few lbs which doesn't help so today I start again...even if I am right in the middle...

4.5 miles planned for tonight, I will report back.
  • Options

Good luck for the 10k JR, I have no idea what my 10k would be ive never raced one!

I dont know what it is about September but I always seem to get my mojo back and want to start training hard?!

• Options
    My guess would be around 48-49 minutes based on your 5k B2B. I did 49.11 last summer, first day back after two weeks hols. Would have gone under 49 had it not been for two poor weeks build up. No way I could run that now. However, I want to get back to that sort of time so time to crack on. I guess September represents the start of autumn, beautiful time of year to run, summer hols are done and dusted.
  • Options
    One thing I did notice was when I was racing 5k and 10k regularly my long runs really improved. I was starting to cruise over 15-18 miles, especially off road.
  • Options

ive never got anywhere near that time, but then again ive never really tried, its seems to be a distance ive only ever used as a nice training run. After October once I have loch ness ans stort 30 out of the way ive decided its time to really give some speed a go. Yeah you have been racing pretty consistently for a while eh? Really glad its translating to your longer runs! 

• Options
    Was translating! I'd get nowhere near sub 50 at the moment. I want to get back there, get some faster running under my belt and start increasing long runs again. Haven't done a double digit mile run since June!
  • Options

I feel like im the other way around! I've done no training, long slow events and just parkruns. I have been so inconsistent this year, im so surprised ive got away with so much this year!!

I think you would really benefit from getting some long slow runs in there over the winter. Your times are still pretty solid

• Options
    I'll certainly look to increase my long runs up u til Christmas, get back to 12-15 miles. Got a place in the Grizzly again next year so will look to be fighting fit for that.
  • Options

sounds like a great plan!

Im quite looking forward to dropping back a bit and working on speed and consistency. I have only got one event booked so far for next year and its a 6 hour challenge. I would really like to give that a really good go to see if I have made any improvement. Parkrun is something that I would really like to try and improve on as well. Interested to see what I could do over a mile and then work on holding it for longer image

The Grizzly looks like a lot of fun, tough but a lot of fun

• Options
    The Grizzly is one for your bucket list B2B. We ran around with a load of Dutch last year. They sang the whole way round, it was brilliant. The Heartland Heartbreaker in North Devon is another I'll make an annual journey to, tougher than the Grizzly too. Coastal runs are always tough but so beautiful. I'm reading Running Crazy at the moment, a guy who has run 480 marathons cited the North Devon Marathon as the toughest he's ever done.
  • Options

Id love to do some coastal stuff. training for it is a little tough around here. Ive got hills but its not really the same as coastline

• Options

The sea air, the views, the climbing image I would definitely make a weekend of a good coastal run if I didn't live so close, you'd never regret it.

Not impressed with myself last night but after cutting the lawn I was in need of a shower and cup of tea so missed my run.

On the plus side, tonight was rugby training for my daughter which runs for an hour and a half of plenty of time to squeeze in a run. Mapped out a loop tonight, asked a farmer for directions en route and got his life story, and eventually got back 5 minutes from the end. 6.5 miles done and even bumped into another rugby parent out on a run so next week I have a running partner. image 

Sep - 48.02

2015 - 808.09

• Options

oh brilliant! Ive been running with Mummysaurus every Tuesday and doing parkrun on Saturday. Its quite strange for me to have company on a run but I quite like it. I met a guy at parkrun that wants to train with me around November once he is into the longer runs. That will be nice to have a bit of structure over the winter

• Options

It definitely helps you get out there when someone is relying on you image

My son has passed on his sore throat and head cold so not feeling great at the moment. An easy but sweaty 3 after work. I won't stop running unless it goes onto my chest. Taunton 10k Sunday with Mrs JR, wouldn't have been quick anyway as I'm out of shape but will see how I feel the next two mornings. If I don't feel any worse i'll jog around.

Sep - 51.02

2015 - 811.09

• Options

JR - I done 10 yesterday morning, which, was probably a bit to many considering the half is next week but wanted to do it for confidence.

As you say its having it "in the head" I hope I do and broke the run yesterday into "chunks" done 4.8 on my out and back course, so passed my house at 4.8 and carried on past and it was like two runs in one.

I think if you go out to do say 5 then your body sort of adapts for 5 and that's all you want to do do, but if going out for 13 then its in the head - running is a bit psychological I think

• Options

No running from me since Friday. Not very well at all Sat & Sun and I've been off work yesterday & today this week. image Was hoping to be feeling better than I do by now but it's right on my chest now so rest is best. Luckily I have no race entries to stress over.

Did you do Taunton Janey?

• Options

Hello image sorry I've been so utterly pants about keeping up on here - no excuse tbh just life taking over!

JR really sorry to hear you're not well - as you say rest is definitely best. Yes I did the 10k - really quite pleased with myself as I hoping for under an hour - chip time 58.03 image I felt really good and didn't struggle at all - so now I'm wondering if I could have pushed harder! Still, first race for 10 years so there's time yet to improve.

330 - sure you'll be fine for the half - chunking the race is a great idea - for the 10k I had studied the course map and split it into 3 x 2 mile sections with a bit at the end. That way I knew at various points that mentally I could tick off another section. I also printed off the km splits on the RW wristband (I work in miles but the course was marked in km obviously) so I'd know if I was on pace. Very best of luck anyway.

Sorry again for being so rubbish at posting - get better soon JR.

• Options

Thanks Janey !!!

Whose going to be the first to say they have a rejection mag for London 2016?

• Options

That'll be me then!!!

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    I had an email today saying I was unsuccessful - probably a good thing tbh as it's a bit soon
  • Options

Feel the same JaneyH. Will apply for 2017

• Options

Completed Great Scottish Run in 2:13: 26

Very pleased as thought 2:20 may have been pushing it a bit so to finish 7 mins in front is great, so 10:11 pace. Especially pleased as my 10 miles run last week was at 10:09 pace. Really great day brilliant to be back running in organised events. Here me with T and medal, sorry pic is so big !!

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12049418_870249569690967_1649611079002538246_n.jpg?oh=8ec218774e868ff880d4d69587fe431c&oe=569563A5

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

330 that's brilliant image especially after all your doubts over the last few months! You must be delighted image I know exactly what you mean about being back to races - I felt exactly the same - hadn't realised how much I'd missed that buzz. I've already started planning my race diary for next year!

Did 5 miles along the river yesterday - beautiful image was meant to include 3 miles at tempo - recent 10k pace of 9:20 min/miles - but I did the first tempo mile too fast, the second one bang on and then couldn't sustain it for the third and dropped to 9:40 - oh well, still a good session. Rest today, then 8 gentle miles out and back along the canal tomorrow image

Hope you're feeling better JR

• Options

Well done on your Taunton 10k Janey image

And well done 330, no such thing as too big a picture, nice medal! image

I've also started planning my race diary for next year. Really felt crap last week so no runs from me. Finally got out today and just the 2 miles done at 10mm. Felt fine but my niggling cough is still just about there. Will head out again Friday.

Need to get back into a proper routine now to hit my 1000 mile target for the year so no slacking.

Next years race diary...

Dalwood Three Hills - Sunday 28th February - 10 miles multi terrain

Grizzly - Sunday 13th March - 20 miles multi terrain

Honiton Hippo - Sunday 17th April - 7 miles multi terrain

Hartland Heartbreaker - Sunday 1st May - 19 miles of coastal trails

North Devon Marathon - No idea of date yet, usually end of June - 26.2 off road - described by one runner of over 300 marathons as the toughest he's ever done.

Oct - 2.01

2015 - 813.10

• Options

Hi, New to this forum and a beginner to the running malarky. I just need a bit of advice. I stopped smoking 5 years ago, then started running, within 9 months i did a 8 mile fun run for charity. Since then i haven't really done much until 2 months ago. Started doing 2 mile runs, now progressed and on Tuesday night I did 5 miles. The problem was this last run was partly on a beach and I had checked the tide times incorrectly and ended up running on soft sand and pebbles! Now 2 days later my legs still ache but I want to get out for another run. I have entered the GR8 Dundrum Run in my local area and it is on 17th October. Should I let my legs rest or continue to train and maybe the pain will ease?

• Options
    Personally I'd have a day off after the run them go for a shorter, easy paced run of say 2/3 miles. Aching is perfectly normal after a run, particularly on an alien surface. It may have been the camber of the beach.

It won't necessarily do you any harm to run on aching legs.