Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• At last a mild day and I did a 4 mile off road run without any snow on the ground to contend with. It almost feels like Spring.... for now. Forecast to be back to sub zero temperatures on the hills here on Wednesday. Just in time for my days off

Busy at the hostel with the Scottish half-term having just finished and the English one just starting. Already 50% up on last year. Should be lots of happy people tonight, good weather and good skiing conditions. Always makes my life easier

Looks like lots of good runs by you all at the moment. Just hope Lulusmum doesn't get crocked. 

• Gammineez - The sizing was great for me and the adjustment is great as well. The only "bad" thing I have to say is they are expensive if you just want to give them a go. My suggestion is to go a cheaper route and give these guys a go first image 

http://www.xeroshoes.co.uk/

I got some for my mum for christmas and she loves them! Now the only issue with these is that you have to learn a tying method that works for you and it takes a little while to get it right. With pratice though you will have the perfect fitting "shoe" everytime!

• Lulusmum

Could be a Bakers Cyst - I had one -  right at back of knee in crease of leg used to get very painful and a bit swollen. Got stiff the further I ran

Physio told me to just keep stretching and rest - it went eventually on its own but he advised in very bad cases they can lance it. Lots of info on net about it

• A Bakers Cyst?! Sounds nasty and tasty at the same time! image Not that I would ever want to eat a cyst!!! image

Have a read.... 

It could just be the good old overuse injury, I get them a lot image

Have you gone from doing not a lot to a whole bunch over the week?

• Thanks for info and link 3.30 - I don't want to have anything that has a name, makes it more serious!  Pain seems to have moved up my leg today, like a tight band around my upper thigh leading into groin and also a tiny bit of sensitivity going into top of calf muscle. How does one get confirrmation of a cyst - docs and an x-ray? No visible lump as such, just a bit of a swelling as far as I can feel, can't see back of both legs together and OH very helpfully saying 'look the same to me' (maybe they do!). Haven't really gone from not much to too much, circuits been a constant for about three months and have been running on treadmill. Yesterday was first run outside but took it steady really, just should have stopped when ache started. Resting I guess for a few days so no circuits, no upperbody work at my just started 1:1 sessions and no running image         Soooooo not happy so you all have to spare a happy thought for me whilst you put your miles in please image and I'll try not to sulk and get too jealous.

• get it checked out, always a quick way to find out for sure! image

Keep smiling and we will give you stuff to read along the way! image

• Is it totally un-runable Lulusmu. Could it just be a reaction to running on a harder surface than the treadmill? Probably best to get it checked though.

A lot colder this morning than I expected, was surprised to find one shoelace frozen so that I couldn't untie it to get my trainer off- took ages before it warmed up enough to untie!!!!  Never had that before!!!!

Did a pyramid session this morning - 1 minute faster, 1 minute jog, 2 minutes faster 1 minute 3 minutes, 4 minutes 5 minutes then back down again 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (was going to do 1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - but decided as I had a 2 minute break at 5 minutes rather than 1 minute, I had to do another 5 minutes - the whole session took around an hour with a steady warm up and a bit of a stagger warm down)  Now eating ibuprofen - to try and stop my left hamstring hurting - will give it a good stretch out in the swimming pool tonight)

• Lulusmum

Best have it checked as could get worse if you ignore and run through the pain. I went to a proper sports physio - seemed to me it was my second home in my serious marathon running days !!

As b2b said some good stuff on here for you to read, myself am planning yet another comeback after years of baerly any running so I wont be "bothering the scorers" to much in the miles dept !! Am out for a massive 2 miles tonight !! (first one of year I am finding it hard to get back into swing of things after numerous attempts as the others will tell you!!)

• sounds like a tough session Grendel. So each "faster" is followed by 1 minute jog if I read that right?! Sounds really interesting I might give something like that a go on a fast day.

Well done for starting again 3:30! I personally think that's one of the toughest things to do because your head isn't in it yet. Good luck with the 2 miles tonight and take them really really slow, remember its your first run back don't bench yourself before the good stuff! image

On a bit of a side note would anyone object to me adding my blog link to the bottom of my posts like a kind of stamp? I don't want to take over the thread its just a great way for people to see it even if they have never posted in here I'm sure many people read this thread! image

I wont do it all the time but I just want to try and get the name out

• No problems from me B2B - and yes that was what I did - a minute recovery But I did take 2 minutes between the two 5 minute stretches

Good luck 3:30 or bust.

• A great run today of 4.5 miles. Clear blue skies, mild, no wind and the mountains covered in snow to enjoy looking at. What could be better.

6 degrees by early afternoon when I went out, but it was -7 when I got up.

Mrs HRHB wanted to drive down the valley yesterday to do a walk, but the car battery was flat. When we thought back we realised we hadn't used the car for almost a month.

B2B, no problem for me with the signature but do the moderators allow it. Many forums don't

• Nice one peeps!

Nice run HRHB, I think its ok as long as it is not considered spam, hence just quickly asking the question image covering my ass and all that jazz! image

I will only really put it on there when I put something new on anyway.

Ive just been through some of the other threads....wow there are some unfriendly folk on here!! ha ha ha glad we have the nice room! image

• Well thats me started - again !!

Today -  2.6 miles

2013 -  2.6 miles !!

• Well done 3:30. Nice start.

• Grendel

Thanks. Dont hink I am going to be setting myself any goals of doing races etc like I did last time will just see how it goes but was nice to be out agan

• well done 3:30! welcome back!

• Well done 3.30 - feels good doesn't it image

• Thanks for the encouragement all - gotta stick at this I am really frightened to see how unfit I have become over the years. If I could turn back the clock and all that ..... lol !

• 3:30 - I will add to the congratulations. Getting out of the front door again is the hardest step. Now its just remembering that the running gets easier the more your fitness returns.

B2B - no problem, didn't went you getting your hands slapped. Know what you mean about some of the people here. I was reading a thread recently and after 3 pages the author said he was never going to write on RW again. You could say this of many forums though. People who have nothing constructive to add seem to resort to criticising everything.

• Yeah its true, does seem to be only a small group of people though but they post a lot! I don't get what you gain from putting people down, I thrive on building people up! image one of many reasons why I have been on this thread for well over a year now image

Keep running and smiling!

• Just a quickie, 5 miles this morning, felt brisker than I had for a while, went swimming last night and spent a lot of time in the pool stretching my left hamstring which has been quite painful over the last couple of days -

Spmeon suggested I should rest it - I looked up the word REST in a dictionary - to (cause someone or something to) stop doing a particular activity or stop being active for a period of time in order to relax and get back your strength.  Didn't understand that so looked up IGNORE: to intentionally not listen or give attention to. That seems to be what I am looking for!!!!!!

Happy days -

• ha ha ha Grendel hope the hamstring is ok

• I have to agree with some ignorant posters I have seen many over the years and I have been posting for over 10 years on here on and off

But this is a great thread to be on !!!

Thanks HRHB just need to get out tonight as well. Problem with starting a comeback this time of year is its a bit nippy here !!

• 3:30 you really need to update your about me section! image How did you do in 2003 anyway?

• B2B

Done a little update. Done first London in 1994 in 3.57. Cant recall why I put 1993 in prfile !! - 1995 PB of 3.43 -  1996 3.59 1997 4.02 - 1998 3.57 - 1999 3.43 and Dublin in 2000 4.13

After this time I stopped keeping paper records of my times trusting to my PC - this blew up and I lost everything all my times and race details since I started running. I have the hard drive so one day may be able to recover it all. Sure there a PC shop somewhere that can get the hard drive running and get the info off

All in all done 10 Londons and only 1 over 4 hours(1997) I was so determined to get under 3.30 and sure I could have had I put in the effort. Now I would be lucky to finisj London by 3.30 PM !!

• Update !!

Been onto a PC shop here he can get me a case to put the hard drive into and can then pug into my lap top and it becomes an external hard drive. Thats brilliant will cost me £25 but I have details of every race I ever done and about 5 years worth of training diaries - oh this is great news was really up set when I thought I had lost it all !!

• 3:30 or bust - I had all my training diaries and race records stored in the shed, plus every copy of Athletics Weekly where I had been in the results or had letters published. I also had a video of pretty much every marathon race shown on telly between 1985 and 2004 - We had the roof of the shed re-done by a proper handiman - he didn't do as good a job as he appeared to have done at first and water got in every waterproof container I had was full of water - lost the lot

• wow that's great news and some great times there! Ive only done the one and it was 4.45.46 you would already be at home with your feet up! image image

Grendel - I think this would have happened....image

• Grendel

You sound like me when it comes to things like that. I used to keep running diaries, the ones RW gave out free, still have them between Nov 96 and 2003. Thats when I moved to computer records. I used to record LM every year and was lucky to see myself twice, I loved ther race where Liz was trailing to thar foreign runner but caught her to win !. Still got them must get them put on DVD. I also horded all RW mags but wife thre them out when we moved to Scotland

I bet you were gutted to loose that lot in your shed. I was a real geek in the day and used to eat and sleep running. Had and made some good friends over the years in the sport, but alas am a loan runner now. I still dream of doing another marathon but time is not on my side - but never give up hope.

I often think of my running carrer when I hear the song "Glory Days" by Bruce Sprinsgsteen. I am proud of the achievements and running one marathon seemed impossible but I done ten. My wife thinks I am mad but she will never know the feeling of crossing the finish line at London - she hates excercise.

But am glad am here now in the RW "virtual" running club. Out again at 4.30 for another massive 2.6 - 26 one day maybe !!

One day when we lived in London I caught my wife having a clear out of a draw so when I enquired where all my LM finishers T Shirts were (I never wore them) she said in the bag for rubbish - I rescused them but it was nearly divorce proceedings !!

Whats your history ?