Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Sounds like me 3:30 I only finished 7 of my marathon attempts, two drop out through illness and one because I couldn't be bothered with a second lap of Harlow New Town!!!! - I walked away from the marathon in 1998 because I failed in my attempt to run a time - after months of to hard training - Would I do another one?  - not sure certainly not London anymore - there are so many other races to do if you want to - (I have pretty much got 4 races that I did last year and this year and that will do - although they are starting a Parkrun in Colchester in a few weeks time - the other race I would like to do is the Barking Park 5K - fast and furious race - and has been going since 1986 -  I know because I was a joint organiser of it between 87 and 2003 - handed over to someone else after that but I am still very proud of the race.

My favourite race - had to be the now defunct Rutland Mini Marathon - 16.5 miles round Rutland Resevoir first time I ever hit 6 minute miles all the way - (the Robin Hood Half comes a close second - 75:05 - wished that day I had gone and done the full marathon because I think a sub 2:35 would have been on the cards)  Still I started again from the beginning at the end of 2010 - and am enjoying what I do now!!!)

• Options

Grendel impressive stuff mate

I knew a fella who had a PB of 2.31 at London and it was great running with him (well disappering into the distance actually !!) I agree re London although I dream of doing it again for old times sake but theres much nicer marathons here in Scoltand - Loch Ness very Scenic

Last year was planning to try to train for my local half but then we booked a holiday and it fell on the date of the race so that all fell through. Now our friends who we are going with had toi change date as their daughter is expecting so could have done it after all !! Maybe next year -

• Options

I think next year is a good plan - gives you over a year to prepare - I think my problem is, I walked away from the marathon because 3:03 wasn't good enough, (was 27 minutes outside my target) and I am not sure I now want a 5 hours plus marathon on my C.V - I am not disparaging what other people do in terms of times - but just what I could do. (on the other hand it may be good just to go and do one with no pressure)

• Options

Grendel

Yes I am the same I donrt want to do another marathon unless I can get under 4 at the very least. I dont want to be going round in 5 hours - not that there anything wrong in that as you say but to me it would not be achieving what i want to do.

Never got out today but to be fair knee was sore as I embarrasingly fell over when out walking. But walked to shops and back 2 miles so not that bad !

• Options

B2B, I’m assuming as an Ultra man you own a back pack? Yaktrax and trainers to the trail, sandals on once there and away you go!!!image ps I know what you mean about other threads…

3:30………..Welcome back……you’ll be racking the miles up in no time! It may take you a little longer to scan over those old training notes mind!?!

Grendel, nice pyramid session. Looking at those figures fills me with fear. Love the REST/IGNORE reasoning. How gutting to have lost all that running history image

Ok, after reading all that I’m going to start planning my own……Marathon. Sod trying to get into London, I’m going to plan something a little different. During the bad weather a few months back the Great Western Canal burst its banks…….. Weather-Great-Western-Canal-breaches-its-banks . The repair, which could cost £3-£5m has been sanctioned but I thought I could do my bit by raising some money towards it myself. I run along stretches of the canal all the time. I cycle along it to get to work when the weathers nice and my family and I are regularly going for a stroll along its banks.  Friends of the Grand Western Canal have a site which may interest those of you with time on your hands. I am going to write them an email and ask if they would like to support me if I offer to run along the canal to try to raise some funds. The canal is 11 miles long so maybe an out and back route would be a good idea, or if people sponsor me per mile I may even push to that magic 26.2??? I’ll let you know what happens but thought if I put it in writing here it will push me to do something positive, and stop hitting that snooze button on my alarm!

Anyway, nice easy 5 miles at 5am this morning. One BIG smug grin on my face as I cycled to work knowing the runs in the bag. AC Milan v Barcelona looks an attractive proposition tonight. Happy running all.

2013 – 51.01…………50 up for the year, yippee!!!

• Options

Just Run

Thats a good cause good luck with it. Looking forward when I can do 5 hopefully byJuly time

• Options

The pack is in the post! I run with basically a bum bag at the moment, I know, I know, how cool am I eh?! Sandals AND a bum bag, im the epitome of sexy! image

Yeah could work if im really stuck! 

Nice plan JR!!!! I think doing your own one in some way is even more satisfying as in the nicest way, no one gives a s*%^ except for the most import person, you!

If it wasnt so freakin far I would join you! image Well done on the 50!!!! image

Right! Inspired by Grendels fast stuff I thought I would give my myself a damn good thrashing!

10 miles of speedwork should do it eh?! image Set a new PB for my usual route which is now down to 1.37.56! YAY! knocked 6 minutes off!

for the number hungry

Really pleased with that and it was really really cold out there tonight!

2013 - 106.36 in your face 100! image

• Options

Thanks 330, you'll be there soon enough.

Nice run B2B, those last couple of miles you really picked up the pace. Nice easy mile to settle in and BOOM!

• Options

Thanks JR! Yeah I always use at least the first mile sometimes as many as 3 to get nice and warm then if everything feels fine, open the taps a bit! Yeah the last couple was when I guess I was ready to get home! It was really cold last night!

• Options

3:30 - As I'm in Scotland too (The Cairngorms) I know what you mean about the cold. Still enjoy going out in it though.

B2B - I was looking at the xero shoes you recommended. I might get a pair for river crossings when I'm walking. I often carry a pair of sandals but they are quite bulky. I could put those in the pack and not notice they were there.

Instead of a run, today I did a 10 mile walk in the hills. Lots of crunchy snow to work the legs. Never got above -1 and an eye-watering wind made it feel much colder. Good walk through 3 glens and reached 1600ft. Never saw another person all day. When the snow has gone it will make a good long running route.

• Options

nice walk HRHB! Yeah the xero look pretty good, im not fully convinced by the sole just yet, I got my mum some for christmas and had a good nose over them! image Im not really sure who makes the sole but they are not vibram, hence the price really. They are however really light and I think would be great for walking of getting started on the sandal running

• Options

HRHB

That sounds a good walk I love walking but the wife hates exercise !! Back out for another very cold 2.6. today

Feb 5.2

2013 5.2

• Options

Make sure you wrap up people it is really cold out there today! 

• Options

wow wow wow!!! I just got an email back from xero and they are sending me a pair to review!!! image I like free stuff ha ha ha!

• Options

HRHB - so how would you like me to go about adding your link to my blog? 

• Options

Hi all, will have a catch up later….

5k today, easy 2 miles to warm up then 10 x 30 seconds with 30 second recovery, averaged 7 ½ m/m during the intervals. Nice slow 10k planned Sunday.

2013 – 54.11

• Options

nice one JR have a good one on sunday!

• Options

Totally agree about the warm up phase B2B, I’ve been on runs and only got going 5 or 6 miles into them! The first two miles, otherwise known as the doggydoo miles, are simply there to get rid of any cobwebs, aches and pains before you settle into a proper rhythm. My breathing also settles down after  this initial period.  PS. Could you please forward an email to Saucony on my behalf, a pair of Hurricane 10’s in a 9 will do nicely! J

HRHB, it was a (mild) -5 the other morning when I went out, I must say I rather enjoy it when its chilly. That ten mile walk sounds  great , there’s something quite special about travelling that kind of distance yet not setting eyes on another human being.

Just returned from coaching my lads football team this morning. They had a cup quarter final match against our local rivals……..and won 4-0! We lost our star goalkeeper to injury before the game and up stepped my lad, much to my wifes horror to take the gloves and save the day. Just before half time, with the game perfectly poised for a grandstand second half  a long ball came into the box, the ball was met on the volley at the far post and an outstretched arm tipped the ball away from the goal line. It landed at their strikers feet but he was denied by another goal line save before the ball was cleared. Four twenty yard screamers later and they’re in the semi finals.

Anyway, 10k easy tomorrow before I coach my daughters team. Lets hope they can make it a double!

Happy running everyone…

• Options

ha ha ha JR ill see what I can do! image 

• Options

2 hours and 26 minutes later....13 very chilly miles in the bag!

Tonight's discovery, chia and ribena work so well together! Its like a blackcurrant smoothie!! 

Cardiosaurus is now on Twitter for all you tweet fans! image

https://twitter.com/cardiosaurus

2013 - 119.36

• Options

Good 6 mile run along Glen Ey yesterday. Started at about 1200' and reached 1500' before turning back. I think I need to rethink the day I do my longer run. Doing it on a Sunday and then running the show single handed on Monday and Tuesday is not a good idea. 

Glorious weather here at the moment with clear blue skies all day. The temperature is dropping like a stone tonight though. -6 allready, expecting it to drop further.

My calf is now fine but Mrs HRHB has now come down with a calf injury. Hers was done line dancing though.

B2B - I see you are trying to get sorted with Twitter and your blog. Take a look at some of the lynda.com video courses. They do a 7 day free trial. I have used several of them. I will send you something through to set up a link for your blog.

• Options

HRHB - thanks! I shall have a look over youtube as well and see what I can dig up

Nice run as well! image

• Options

Tough gym sesh today, did weights.

300 reps, tired arms

• Options
    Hello all,

How's it all going? It was a quiet run week last week but today I managed a 5k in 29minutes image feeling pretty chuffed!

I like the idea of the canal run JR

And I know that you posted the qu a while back but I don't mind the blog link on your posts B2B....hope your arms work tomorrowimage
  • Options

well done Gammineez is that your first sub 30? Great feeling none the less eh?! image

Arms are aching a little today but nothing that would stop me doing it again tomorrow! 

My Xero shoe arrived last night so I'm going to take them for a test run this evening, so excited! image

• Options

Hi everyone - neglected to post for a few days - but well done for continuing to get out there -

Saw the pictures on FB B2B - looking forward to the review!!! 

Well hamstring still playing up a bit - sore dow left leg - I do wonder now as it starts quite high up if it could be the sciatic nerve - managed to do 43 miles last week - have skipped the speed work this week though and am replacing it with a thorough warm up then a tempo run - 

2013 -  303.12 image

• Options

Hi all,

To bring you all up to speed, I used to run 10k, marathons about 7/8 years ago etc.. but then had kids.  Put a stone or two on (got to 13.5 stone), and stopped running image.

Now, here I am, plodding on once again, down to 12 stone, and fired up the RW forums again.  Have been following the 'get started' schedule since 1st Jan (yup, it was a resolution!) and today, at 5.59am hit 5k in 29 minutes!!!  Was over the moon! Had to tell some people who would actually care (colleagues don't run, neither does the wife)!

Anyway, hopefully this success will continue, but might change my runs from early mornings to evenings - this getting out of bed is killing me!  Does anyone have any thoughts on running after eating evening meals- it's years since I've done all this??

• Options

Hi,

Welcome aboard Chuckles. Good time there, well done. Just remember not to push too hard too often, many runners get an injury within 3 months of starting. I got mine after 4 months. Can't help with when to run, Im fortunate to be able to run mid afternoon between shifts.

Grendel - Hope you get going again soon. I have been using a grid roller for a few weeks and that seemed to help my calf. At least if it hurts that much it better be helping.

B2B - Im following you on twitter to hear how the new xeros perform

After my injury foiled my plans for the Inverness Half Marathon in March, I am now aiming for Loch Leven in May, with the Glenlivet 10k in April as part of the training. That gives me 10 weeks to build up steadily from 7 mile long runs. I need a target to keep me motivated.

• Options

Will have to catch up Friday, nice easy 10k this morning at 5am.

2013 – 60.32

• Options

Its on the way Grendel! image

Hey chuckles and welcome! image Well done on the return to running!! 29 minute 5k is a great time, well done! As for the eating bit, I tend to go out hungry and eat on the way but then I am training for my first ultra so its part and parcel of the gig really!

After a hell of a lot of research and even more trial and error I find leaving with no more than a snack of around 300 calories before a run tends to see me right, depending on the distances you want to run you can snack along the way or finish up with a nice meal after you are done. Rough rule of thumb is about 100 calories an hour to keep you ticking over nicely image

This of coarse at the end of the day is all down to what works for you, none of us are the same and what works for me may not sit right with your body.

+1 for HRHBs comment on the not pushing to hard to soon! Take your time!

Cheers HRHB! image

6 very chilly miles tonight in my new Xero Shoe....hmmm more testing to be done!

2013 - 125.39