Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• I went out for our normal Tuesday run with my son last night, we just do 2.5 miles and talk as we go. Last night managed to do that in 27 minutes makes it enjoyable catching up on his week and the time and distance go really quick. I would suggest running with someone if you can.
  • Hi all. After three weeks solid rest, well didn't go near the gym but the rest of life had to go on, I did take part in my first race since last year. 10k on quite a hilly course, in quite heavy snow both falling and underfoot but boy did I have a good time despite my leg reminding me at 5k why I had been resting in the first place! First 4k at 8 minute mile pace then came a whopper of a hill, well, not the steepest hill I have ever tackled but it just went on for a bit and that is when it started to go downhill figuratively speaking! Pain up into groin and down into calf which worsened on the uphill sections of which there were a few. My stubborn gene coupled with the fact that I didn't fancy walking home in the snow made me carry on to come in at 56 02 which is 9 minutes over my pb for a similar course on that distance. Grumped for a little while but then had to remind myself that at least I had completed it and in not the easiest of conditions so bucked up pretty quickly. Still don't know what is wrong with leg as it felt fine at the off but as I said, I was really buzzing just to be taking part in a race again. Did have a blonde moment at the end, or actually it was really at the beginning as i kept looking at my trainers and knew that something wasn't right but just couldn't work out what. They were clean for one which is unusual after the first few wears and it was only yesterday that I realised I had been running in the training shoes I keep just for indoors in the gym and not my proper road running shoes. What a dumbo.

Okay, i'll stop now, just soooooo happy to have got some miles in again. Hope you all get the same high as I did getting out there again image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

HRHB - well done for getting out there, hopefully spring will finally arrive even in the 'far north'!!!

3:30 Know how you feel - my legs currently feel like they did in the 100 mile week days, am going to pop into Tesco on the way home tonight to buy some of that gel stuff that has Ibuprofen in it and some iron tablets - see if that helps the hamstring and the feeling of general blah!!

NMick my soon to be 10 year old wants to come out at the weekend - I may do my normal run then take him for a jog afterwards - he did come out on his bike last year but found I was going to far for him so that stopped.

Awesome run Lulusmum - hopefully the leg is on the mend - could it be that you were wearing the gym trainers that casued the problem - or just that it was quite a hilly course - none the less well done for gutting it out and finishing

Another 5 miles this morning - am intending to run every other day next week and then just jog the following week ahead of Braintree - missus has another cold and so has juniorf Grendel - hopefully I can avoid it - I missed last years Braintree run because of illness - hopefully can avoid the lurgy this year.

• First run of the "Amazing BR 7-year comeback 2013" went pretty well.

Me and other half went out for about half an hour and managed 2.5 miles, according to walkjogrun.net. I had to walk a lot of it (obviously) but only because of a bloody stitch, which I was adamant was a heart attack.

Other than that it felt pretty good - legs, ankles, and back all felt great and even sneaky shin splints that tried to make an appearance disappeared after a few more minutes of running.

Just looking up a decent C25K plan as we speak. Yesterday was just "get the hell out there, Steven and R*N!"

• Lulusmum - feels great to be out against doesnt it !!

Grendel - Iron tablets hmmm might try them am on zinc at the moment and vit B

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Bored Robots well done - perhaps it wasn't shin splints it may just have been tight muscles -

• oooo the TP100 has been revised due to flooding! Makes it a little easier for crew though! image

• Some nasty little gremlin is sloooowly pouring concrete into my legs...but I can't seem to catch and stop the little scamp.

• Hello all,

I did my race! Rocksolid in Devon, at the weekend. Really pleased to say that I made it round in one piece and now have a new PB for my first ever 10k of.....

1hr 56!!!

Hoping to knock about an hour off that next time image without the obstacles. There was soo much mud, it was a great race, really fun.

Just bought some trail shoes though as I was sliding around like a drunk bird on a Friday night.

Happy running
  • Gamm,  I read your 1st paragraph and thought 'that is rather slow'! 

I then realised it was a mud run. 

Good effort!!!

http://www.run-to-be-happy.com

• Back out tonight and am pleased to say no pain in shin area - whoooo !!!! Weather Rport : Brrrrrrrr !!!!!

March 5.2

2013 10.4

• Great work everyone, fighting through injury, mud, lack of fitness and bad weather.

Was supposed to be doing 9 miles today but we are now on day 6 of snow. Roads all white over, snowgates closed, sub zero temperatures and strong winds. The ski resort says ' closed, stormbound' on their website and the mountain forecast says winds gusting to 80mph and feels like -26 on exposed ridges.

Sod it, I'm staying warm and dry inside with a book instead and finishing off the excellent 'Hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared'. It was on offer at 20p on Amazon Kindle, but now back up to normal price.

On the last week in March last year we had the warmest temperasture ever recorded here in March, when we hit 21 degrees. What I would give for that again.

We were supposed to have about 20 people staying this weekend, now we are down to 3, as they keep cancelling.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

No run for a week for me (not quite true as I did take my lad for an easy mile after training Thursday) image. Not been feeling great and gradually got worse, shitty flu symptoms and now coughing up the remnants of what's left. Was very tempted to go yesterday but out of breath running up the stairs and generally feeling sorry for myself that I don't feel well enough to run. Will rest up today, set the alarm for tomorrow morning and see how the chest is.

• Well along Sunday run didn't go as planned, minus 2, very strong winds along the sea front so chickened out and went running in the gym instead. Managed 12 miles in 2 and a half hours, but after 6 my earphones packed up so had to concentrate on an orange wall for the second half. Legs really stiff but after a hot bath and playing trains with my grandson finished the day really well.

Keep at it Just Run, I managed to get rid of my cold by getting a couple of easy runs in, only trouble was breathing!
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Trouble is JR with this weather anyform of chest infection or whatever the cold won't help.

Nick - 12 miles on the treadmill - don't think I ever managed 7 - well done for sheer bloody mindedness!!!! 

For me a cold day, the wind whipping the sand up into my face as I struggled to make progress into Clacton, past the local cafe, which from the early hours of this morning had become a burnt out crime scene. A lone law enforcement officer sat huddled in his car waiting for back up.  for me, 8 miles run, 4 into a very cold wind but 4 back the smell of burnt cafe still hanging in the air. A great feeling to have conquered the elements. (AND looks round and whispers - I had a rest day yesterday!!!)

• imagea....rest!? Grendel I think you account has been hacked! Someone else is telling lies about you! image

Rest up JR chest stuff is not to be messed with! Well not in this weather anyway!

12 miles on the dreadmill!! Ive done a 10....once...never ever again! Well done!

Cold, cold, cold weekend! 

This weekend as you all know was the weekend of the TP100.

Brother in law tried this last year as his first and got taken down after 71 miles by his shins giving up. He then tried a mental one in Cornwall to be taken down at 62 by crazy elevation. NDW50 came next in august all was going swimmingly till he came into an aid station sideways and dislocated his shoulder at around 27 miles.

So the TP100 was revenge time....well that was the plan!

Mother nature decided to spice things up a little by flooding the route forcing a change to the original plan....60 miles of it making it now 102 miles.

So every long distance runners dream was concocted, the dreaded back and forth!

This "lap" style works well on smaller distances on 102 miles however.....

In long distance running you really want to go point to point, turning around and knowing that you have to head back to the start only to be told to turn around again....then again and again is enough to break a even the strongest of minds.

So 160 odd people are churning back and forth basically mashing up fields, trying not to go mad or be taken down by the cold. Its cold, really cold and I am scheduled to meet said BIL at mile 82 to put in my 20 mile pacing duties.

Needless to say my enthusiasm was starting to wain a little but still I thought, its 20 miles, man up he would have already done 82!!

Got a phone call saying he was at 38 "its cold man! The mud is ridiculous your sandals will just get ripped off!" sh@t, time for a new plan.

Got a lift back home to grab my merrell trail gloves as it was the only real thing I had left. Spoke to him again at around 52 he sounded alert by cold.

1.27am *knock on the door* its father in law "we need to go and pick him up" so we grabbed everything we could and bundled into the car and headed for the directions he gave us.

He felt his temperature start to drop badly and knew the next stage was hypothermia. Fortunately they had set up emergency aid stations in the form of a car between the main stations so he jumped into one of those and tried to stay warm while we went to get him.

63 miles. Next time TP100, next time! 

He was gracious in defeat this time and settled for staying alive rather than trying to be a hero.

He is still a hero in my eyes.

By the time we got home and had some tea it was around 3.30am, around the time I was meant to start running.....I went to bed.

I didnt get to run but it did something to me, the fire in my belly is back! I feel like I have turned a corner.

New gear, new focus. If im awake, im training be it body or mind....its on.

Time to get a sports massage and fix this leg....things just got serious

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Sorry it didn't happen B2B - but 62 miles is a long way anyway and with the extreme conditions - running in that wind must have been a nightmare. So best to leave it for another day - So now time for oyu to get serious and hit those trails - via a massage.

• Indeed! Need a ruddy good hiding and work out all the kinks then get on it! Not long to go now in the scheme of things

How you feeling for Braintree?

• B2B thats a great read and hope the bother in law is OK now.

There was an American guy who had a web site who used to do these 24 hour race things around tracks, was a great read as he used to post daily. Cant for the life of me remember the name of it. Was brilliant read and wish I could remember the name its bugging me now so if anyone here knows what it was let me know !!

Almost embarrases me to put this now but was out again for anotehr 2.6 today. One thing I have learned on this comeback is its going to take a while !!

March 7.8 miles

2013 13 miles 

• Well done 3.30! Never ever be embarrassed, you are running for you and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Not feeling very positive for Braintree - my left hamstring and the ice has pretty much put paid to any form of speed work for a few weeks now and the extra mileage I have run has knocked the stuffing out of my legs - I am running every other day now in hopes that I can get some bounce back and eating Nurofen like smarties!!!!

3:30 as B2B says don't be embarrased - it does take a while to get back but it is worth it.

• The hard work is done Grendel maybe a sports massage to fix the leg? Im looking into getting one.

Just ordered some ninja tabi boots as a new running experiment! image I figure they have all the right stuff...light, thin, built in gators, feels like a sandal but with covering and wont get sucked off my feet in the mud! On paper the perfect choice for winter, in reality?

• B2B

You are actually going to run in these?

• oooooooooooooooooooo yes! image

• Just found a really interesting article regarding tabi...

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/12/12/tabi/

• Cant be much cushioning in those mate ? think I will stick to the old Mizuno wavr inspire.

But really intersting artivle there

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Be careful when you run in them - you'll be leaving some strange footprints out in the wilds of Hertfordhire!! SKy News will be out there with film crews looking for Pan.

• ha ha ha I love that idea Grendel! 

3:30 well I already run in sandals so cushioning is the last thing I look for image Im just really interested in trying them out! Ive never once caught a ninja running so they must be damn fast! image

• B2B

I used to work near Leavesden Studios you round that way?

Actually tempted to go out tonigh but gonna stick with my every other day routine for a bit. Want to make sure this comeback is done propely. No need to rush

• Not too far, im in the sunny Borehamwood image

Good plan!