Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Wel done HRHB on a tough course that is pretty good!!!! 26th as well - just shows there arew a lot of very good over 50s out there - at the Braintree 5 last week my old training buddy ran 29:31 and was 4th over 50!!!!!! Unbelievable runners out there,

• well done HRHB! Keep up the good work!

JR - Thats the spirit! image Beat down those 5k`s!

Well its official with the turn of a page in my diary at work I have started to doubt everything! Thursday will mark 1 month till the NDW50 and it has me on the ropes already. BIL took part in the SDW50 this saturday and finished!!!!!!!! Finally one in the bag but it had me questioning my footwear choice for muddy conditions. I dont want to spend all of my time and energy pulling my feet out of the mud so I am going to take some shoes along for the ride as a backup plan. I am going to start out in the sandals and just do what I can do then switch if I need to.

I have no idea how the heck I am going to pull this off so I am going to try and relax and just take it as it comes. Im pretty much out of time as far as constructive training goes and im a good 10 miles shy in my long runs so there is only one muscle left to train.....my brain!

Time to get some brain training in so at least I have a brain of steel even if the rest of me falls apart! image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done to your brother in law B2B - at last a DID FINISH - I have no doubts in my mind that you can pull it off - you ran a marathon off minimal training hitting your target time - I know it is a bit further but you have 13 hours - as MicknPhill Marathon Lads would chant   Easy Easy Easy!!!!

• ha ha ha well I shall give it a go! I am going to try and remember "don't let your head go to your feet"...bit of a Marshall Ulrich miss quote but it works for me! Turn the brain off and just run!

• After watching the tragedy of Boston last night and people getting ready for Sunday I am determined ... I WILL RUN THE LONDON MARATHON AGAIN

My comeback has stalled for 3 weeks but back out tomorrow for sure. May take me 2 years to get to marathon distance but I will do this.

• I know its really sad my heart is still in Boston.

Thats it 3:30 get stuck in! image I recon a year is enough. Aim to get to a comfy half by christmas....easy! Then just slowly move the miles up to 20 you wont need to go any higher. Job done! Are you aiming to just finish or are you going for the "3:30"?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'm doing London 2014 talked to a charity that means something to me a couple of weeks ago, and told them i'll run it for them if I don't get in via the ballot, they aren't a big charity but they have a few places, and have reserved one for me. I'm hoping it will be my 4th Marathon.  Very excited, and looking forward to it lots even though the 2013 hasn't gone yet.

With regards to Boston. I totally agree with you, makes me want to do it that little bit more.

EDIT: To make it clear 4th marathon in total and my 1st London.  Only done one so far, but have two planned for this year.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I dad been following the Boston on a twitter feed as I couldn't find live coverage on the net - left work just before the woman had finished - got home logged back on and was shocked with what had happened - a sad world we live in -

Booktrunk welcome to the thread - as it is a charity that is close to your heart and you are likely to raise money for them anyway, why not just take the place now and not bother with the ballot place?  You have a year now to train for it which as B2B, our guru on here for all things running, has said is ample time to build up a good base before getting some marathon specific training in after christmas.

Well back in the groove now - hamstreing no better but no worse - managed to run a session of 1 minute, 2, minute, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 all off a minutes training this morning not fast and not pretty - not sure what the garmin was playing at to be honest at one point he suggested I was running at over 10 minute miles and then the next 8 mm - there was a sea fog hanging about so whether it was struggling to pick up the signal I don't know.

• B2B

My ambition was always a sun 3:30 marathon. Alas the closest I got was 3:42

The other 9 marathons been between that time and 3:59. I would love to do 3:30 but at 54 that maybe beyond me. I will see how it goes but, and without being disrespectfull to anyone, I dont want to go and do a marathon to finish in any less than 4 hour thats just a personal thing. If I feel as if I cant I wont do it.

So tonight will be another 2.6 a small step but we have all got to start somewhere (again!) You never know if I progress may join the local running club !!

• welcome Booktrunk! I agree with Grendel, grab that place while you can! It will also keep you training image

Grendel - Guru? Did you mean Gnu?image Re: the hamstring try some deep tissue massage, hurts like hell but worth it!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/Blue_Wildebeest,_Ngorongoro.jpg/260px-Blue_Wildebeest,_Ngorongoro.jpg

3:30 - well your a lot quicker than me and im 33! image I really think you can do it given that you have 9 under your belt already. I have only done 1! My biggest advice is to get some reading done and get yourself inspired. 54 is not old, 54 with 9 marathons is an advantage!! Have a read about Marshall Ulrich if you dont know about him already, he is 61 and one of the most hardcore people I have ever read about!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Grendel3

The reason I would still like to try the ballot is that i will feel a little less pressure when raising the money.  I would still try to aim for the same target, but I will feel a little more relaxed knowing i'm not "expected" to get a minimum of X.  It's just a personal way of taking a bit of pressure off myself. 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

After I wrote that I did wonder if that is perhaps the reason - it does put pressure on big time - I only ran one of my 9 marathons for charidee and was ill at the time and dropped out at half way - ended up making a personal donation (it wasn't a charity place) as I didn't think it was right to ask for money for something I didn't do!!. m(actually looking back it was 10 marathons but only 7 finished - I dropped out of London (ill) Berlin (To this day I don't know why - I just stopped and got a bus back to the finish area) and Harlow - didn't fancy a second lap of Harlow New Town to be honest - and that was only a training run)

3:30 or bust - I am a year younger than you and if I thought I couldn't run those times again I wouldn't run again. Interesting article in this weeks (looks around and whispers)  Athletic Weekly - about Martin Rees who is 60 - he has returned after a few years out through injury and recently ran 71 minutes for a half!!!

No definitely a guru B2B everything you do is researched and considred and thought about -

• well almost ha ha ha image It doesn't actually make me any good it just means I really really know what im doing wrong ha ha ha!

Oh I forgot to mention, the guy who won this years TP100 2 weeks ago just did the Brighton marathon in 3 hours!!!! image machine! Knocking out marathons like training runs, inspiring stuff!

• B2B

I have that book "Running on Empty" on my to read list, has he done others

I love a good read on this kind of stuff - I read Liz M and Paula R autobiography which were quite good. Was wondering if Eamon Martin had a bookm he was a really interesting guy working by day and training by night to become a marathon winner

Any others you recommend ?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Eamon has not written a book - but he was really nice guy, used to see him a lot at local Essex Races and was always happy to stand around and chat -

Plimsoles on and Eyeballs out is a biography of Jim Peters which is really good and also From Last to First by Charlie Spedding is another good book

• hmm I had a list on this thread a while a go...let me see if I can find it...

• Grendel

That Charlie Spedding book must be brilliant !!

Just looked on Amazon three places to buy from Cheapest £23.56 dearest £198.31 !!

• wow would have been quicker to just retype it!! from october last year.......

Back2basics wrote (see)

ha ha ha Grendel im finding the seasme cereal and chia a great combo! Used to stop for a sandwich, coffee and a chocolate bar!

Well done on keeping up with your challenge as well!

Bananas - Ive read loads!! Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a must in my opinion, really inspiring!

Ive also read....ultramarathon man by Dean Karnazes, 26.2 stories of blisters and bliss by Dean Karnazes, the ghost runner by Bill Jones, what i talk about when i talk about running by Haruki Murakami, how to run fast and injury free by Gorden Pirie, chi running by Danny Dreyer and im now onto Eat and Run by Scott Jurek image

I also started Feet in the clouds but couldnt really get into it...will try that when I start to run out of books! image

• Thanks Grendel

Am I correct in saying the Kobobooks link is an e-book to download?

• Out tonight again 2.6 miles in 28:06

So 2.6 miles into a very long Journey to a marathon

April 2.6

2013 18.2

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Morning everyone....Welcome Booktrunk

Very sad about Boston, I followed the live feed too Grendel, was awful to see those videos and images uploaded. Makes me want to enter a marathon too.

Will have to catch up Friday but will add my early run. 3.33 miles with 10x30 seconds flat out...had to walk the last three recoveries...

2013 - 116.54

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

3;30 I am sorry I don't know the answer to that I just googled the book!!!! as the money being asked on Play.Com is ridiculous!!! 

• Morning peeps hope your all doing well!

Went out for a very very long and windy walk/run last night.

4 hours and 35 minutes. After 14 miles I wanted to go home but forced myself to keep walking as my leg was grumpy again so on I went.

Very pretty run to be honest and saw loads of animals along the way which was entertaining. Everything felt really easy till about 12 miles, I was forcing myself to run 30 minutes, walk 5. 

Felt very strange but I trusted it and carried on. Eventually I think the walking just felt really slow and started to get me down. Talked myself out of stopping and decided if im going to walk then I walk hard! Averaged a walking speed of 17.30m/m and when I ran it was around 12m/m so I finished up 20 miles with an average of a 13 m/m.....not to bad, better than I was expecting to be honest.

No idea how I am going to finish 50 but I will give it a damn good go! Worked out that as long as I can run a consistent 20 then time wise I can walk the rest and still finish.

2013 - 214.45

• Grendel

Dont worry mate brilliant that you posted that link from WH Smiths never thought of them. A book I shall be purchasing next month

• B2B

What an effort !!

Good luck and when are you doing the 50 ?

• thanks 3:30! On the 18th May!!!!!image Starting to brick it now!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done on the 20 B2B I know you are a scholar when it comes to the great Ultra Man - not sure if you are awar of this guy.

http://www.elitefeet.com/the-legend-of-cliff-young

3:30 - glad to be of help - would also recommend the Jim Peters one - more interesting for me I suppose because he ran many of the same routes I used to run.

If the Charlie Spedding book hadn't been signed by the great man to me - I would offer to send it up to you, but a friend who is a distance relative (she isn't sure how distant of his bought the book for me at a book singing and got him to sign it -

• ooo thanks Grendel no I wasnt....I am now! image

• Grendel

No probs mate probably going to get it to take on my hols with me in August