Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Like 3:30 and Grendel I often forget I'm now in my 50's not my 30's when I used to run.

After about 6 months of running I'm at a stage of being about 1 minute per mile slower than I was 20 years ago but still getting faster. Knowing that in my first 10k race back, my time was 1 minute faster than the average for the under 40 age was a good ego boost.

I would love to get back to the times I used to run, but if I have only lost 1 minute per mile in 20 years then I still feel that's an achievement. 

Grendel like you I feel Spring is slowly arriving. Here though that means that the snowdrops are just starting to flower, the daffodils are still a way off. Then I look at the mountain forecast and it shows more snow from Thursday onwards. Sigh. 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Unlike you HRHB I am 3 minute per mile slower - Taking B2Bs advice on slowing down I took longer to run 7 miles on Sunday than my half marathon PB!!! - My problem is, my old traning partner 6 months younger than me ran 29 minutes for the 5 the other week - 11 minutes quicker than me!!!!  Oh well he carried on running throughout his 40s I didnt!!!

• how did it feel Grendel?

• Its really nice here at the moment, the sun is out the birds and bunnies are out...all in all a wonderful day outside! Downside is im in the office...oh well might head out again tonight and get some more miles in.

My plan is to run slow now im in my 30`s so by the time I get into my 50`s the speed wont be an issue ha ha ha! image

• 3.3 for me tonight at 10:11 pace

Longer distance just easier as its three times around the block. Felt comfortable and no pain from Lower leg

2013 - 26.7

• Nice one 3:30!

Another 5.5 miles for me on a new route through two sets of woods image Very very very hilly that way going to be hitting those trails a lot more now its light enough in the evening.

2013 - 225.45

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done 3:30 getting easier isn't it??

I am really envious of you B2B you seem to have so many options - I have two,  towards Watlon or towards St Osyth - both boringly flat - oh well at least I am running!!!

A bit pushed for time this morning but after a stupid o'clok start did 5 times 3 minutes off a 1 minute recovery - found it quite hard to be honest but felt good afterwards - very tired now though!!!

• B2B

We have some good trail running here need to get some proper shoes for that though ! Hard to find decent route here on the roads without a bloody big hill !! Sea front is only a mile away - all downhill going down is OK its the getting up thats the problem !! Good to see you are hitting the wooded trails again

Thanks, pleased with the run I used to post a lot on the Marathon sub 3:30 thread went back to look and see a lot of old posters still on it some 5 years on reading their marathon stories is a good motivator

Oh well back to work - would rather be out for a run !!

• Grendel - Its strange, I never really thought about it until I tried to run somewhere else. It made me really appreciate the running options in my area. Woods, lakes and hills! I feel pretty lucky.

3:30 - These are my choice of trail footwear image Not so great in thick mud but apart from that.....awesome!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lunastore/images/241/full.jpg?1351704345

• B2B

Look like my flip flops I got for my holidays I could never run in them. What do you wear for road running, the mind boggles !! What made you try these initially ?

Grendel - Yes it is getting easier I am glad to say !!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

B2B, from what I’ve read getting the walk breaks in early and regularly keeps the ‘bounce’ in your muscles, helps them recover between the run segments and makes you stronger and fresher at the end of your run. I can’t remember but I think it was Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon who wrote about using walk breaks for marathon(+) distances and the optimum ratio was 20:2. Those woodland trails sound fun, maybe the scenery will help take your mind off the hills. YOU DON’T SERIOUSLY RUN TRAILS IN THOSE?!?!?! NUTTER!!

3:30, the desire to want to do it is half the battle. We may never run as fast as we used to but we’ll have a bloody good time giving it a go. Glad to hear your run was comfortable last night.

Good session there Grendel, 3 minutes sounds a long time, I’ve got 10 x 1 minute planned for next week, feel the need for speed!

A real family affair for tonight’s run. The kids hopped on their bikes and the wife and I took to the canal for a 4 mile run. We started off nice and easy (10:30m/m) for the first mile, then knocked off 30 seconds each mile after. Mile 2 was 9:46, mile 3 @ 9:11 and mile 4 @ 8:30. Felt absolutely fine after, went a little quicker than planned for each mile but for some reason I find my trail shoes a little quicker than my road shoes? It’s strange but for the same perceived effort the stats do suggest I’m a little quicker in my brooks. Should just about hit 50 miles for this month, the first time I’ll hve done that for a year!

2013 - 123.61

• 10 mile walk today up 2 Munros (3000ft hills) Mayar and Dreish. It was a bright day and the views from the tops were outstanding. It was good to get out on the hills again now the snow has nearly all melted.

3:30 If you don't fancy B2B's choice of trail footwear I use Inov8s which are excellent. Good in wet and muddy conditions and very comfy. The model I use are Roclite 295 which are especially good on wet rock.

• Just Run - well the desire is there just got to put the work in now !!

HRHB - would love to walk a Munro - sounds fabulous and my idea of fun could easily spend a weekend out there but with a wife that thinks the word exercise or keeping fit are a foreign language its difficult to find the time. Will get down the shops (when I can get into Glasgow) have a look at those shoes - thanks

Well another 3.3 for me in 33:15. Felt good but dont want to overdo it with enthusiasm so MAY force myself to take a rest day tomorrow.

2013 - 30 miles

• ha ha ha guys ive been wearing these for EVERYTHING for about a year now ha ha ha! Every single post with the exception of the gym has been in these! image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

1 mile warm up - followed by 3 miles tempo followed by (no not a nice sensible warm down) a hot shower and breakfast -

I already think you are mad B2B - but to wear those in the 50!!!!!! 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

4 easy miles this afternoon in glorious sunshine along the beautiful great western canal. A cup of tea and a slice of cake later and i'm ready for the weekend.

April - 41

2013 - 127.66

• My usual 3.3 for me - boring arent I ?image

To be honest just want to get the miles in build a good base as I have some target bus very modest one

• Grendel - well im going to give it a go and carry my merrells just in case image

Just Run - sounds wonderful!

3:30 - hey there is nothing wrong with consistency! image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

3:30, you're right, that solid base will give you something to build on. Not sure i'd be targeting a bus though? Bit quick for me! image

I have 9 miles to run this month to hit 50 for the first time in a long time so I will use the power of the thread to get me out there and do it.

Friday - 4 miles (done)

Sunday - 10k LSR

Monday - 3 miles easy

Have a good weekend everyone

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Just realised this thread is now over 2 years old! And not far off 3000 posts either...image

• imageimageimageimage Happy birthday(ish)!!! Wow 2 years already?!

Have a great one everyone and well done JR its been a bumpy road eh?!

• JR - lol !!! and well done on the 50

Went out around 5. Usual 3.3 - 9:47 miles so pleased with that. Just a case of keeping on keeping on to get the mileage base up

Whose going to have the privelage of post 3000?

Have a good weekend everyone will be out tomorrow. May have a few beers tomorrow night as Sunday rest day. What am I going to do with no marathon to watch Sunday ? - was made more interesting this year tracking people round the route on the Virgin site

2013 - 33.3m

• Just run my final long run before the Loch Leven Half Marathon in 2 weeks, so I ran..... a half marathon. Achieved my race target of sub 2 hours as well, by clocking 1:59:29. Don't really need to do the race now, only going for the t-shirt !

Well pleased with this run as it was one of those days when I had to force myself out of the door having just done a big clean of the hostel for 3 hours.

It does make you feel more confident for the race when you know you can achieve the distance and set a decent enough time.

Lots of families staying this weekend who are all taking part in the various runs at Balmoral Castle today. Everything from 10k to a 1.5km for the little kids. Just as they all left this morning it started snowing, but turned in to an ideal running day, cool and hardly any wind

2013 - 153 miles

• HRHB, well done on that can go full of confidence now

Out again today 3.3 usual route but ran the othe direction - what a rebel 32:09

2013 - 36.6

• Well done HRHB now you can aim for a 1.55 on race day image

3:30 hardcore stuff!image image

Got some new gear today ready for the ndw50! Montane terra pants and a Montane jacket that I can't remember the name of right now! Expensive but looking forward to giving it a go 

• Hmm it won't let me edit.... The jacket is the Montane Atomic...erm....jacket image

• Hello All.

Hope you don't mind me joining your thread. There seems to be people at lots of different stages of getting back into running on here. It has been motivating to read your posts.

I used to run regularly and did plenty of 10k's and halfs. Training for 2 marathons in 2009/10 was where it all went pear-shaped for me. I was disappointed with my time for my first marathon (4h 47m) so immediately starting training for another. The long training runs took their toll and I found that although I could run for a long time my pace slowed ridiculously. I got very disheartened and on mile 19 of a 20 mile training run I suddeny realised I was hating running - it had become a chore, churning out miles when it was supposed to be something I did for pleasure. I stopped running altogether and went to the second marathon as a spectator..

3 years later and depressingly unfit and flabby I'm ready to get back to running and hopefully fall back in love with it. It has taken a while to accept I am now a beginner runner and really need to take things slowly - you just think you can go out for an hour and you'll be fine don't you?

I am following the 6 weeks to 5k plan from the website. First session this morning 1 min run, 1 min walk x 10. It went fine. The aims for this year are a few 5k park runs leading me into some autumn 10k's at a decent pace. I still feel there is unfinished business with the marathon distance but I'm not considering that distance for quite sometime..if ever!

Posting my runs on here and reading how others are doing will help keep me on track, thanks all!

• Froglet

Welcome aboard. I am not to dissimlar to yourself

I ran dozens of races for years including FLMs but I to sort of fell out of love with it. Starting up again and am only at 3.3 miles at the moment. I am aiming at a marathon again and will apply for VLM 2014 but not sure if I would be in shape maybe 2015

I do feel a lot better getting out there though although its a long road back

• Hello all, hello Froglet,

I'm a real fan of those 0-5k plans, they help you build up slowly and get a bit of consistency going.  It helped me (although I still have a long way to go) by keeping me from going too far too fast (that's fast in relative terms image)

well done on your half marathon time HRHB, hope the race goes well.  I've just signed up for the Dartvale Half in October....my sister is going to help try to pace me for a sub 2hr timeimage ever the optimist 

B2B I think those Lunas look decidedly more robust than the Xeros!  I've got my pair, cut them down to size, just waiting for it to get warmer so I can wear them out and about.  Just going to walk in mine for now........ chicken!  When's the big day again?

JR, I run like the Queen, not in an octogenarian way, although it sometimes feels like that near the end, but with no money.  Otherwise I would have been sorely tempted to stop for a pint at Fingle Bridge.  Ran the route again this weekend, nice and hilly, clocked 8m, took me 1hr 40 but I made it up all the hills without stopping.

has anyone got any tips for coming down the hills?!

• Welcome froglet well done for getting back out there! 

Gammineez yeah a lot more robust but the principal is the same. Go on, go do a mile in them! imageRegarding the hills... Lean back just a pinch and relax, let the hill do the work image my 50 is on the 18th! image

11 miles for me today around purfleet, wind, and mud and very industrial running today. Stayed at a friends house which is why I am around here at the moment. Ran through marshes and along the Thames and tried my new jacket out.... Wicked purchase!

Happy feets! 

2013 - 236.45