Boddington Marathon

Comments

• lol Jules, I really think you ought to get your coat.

Joking aside these were only 400 metre intervals, but a good session anyway.

Funnily enough I ran in Stratford as well, thought it was a great race but had to pull out for my first ever DNF, with palpitations.  It was a bit of a kick in the teeth as I was flying aling and feeling great.

Hopefully none of that nonsense in the Boddington!

I'm hoping all the running around in circles makes me delirious and I can run blisfully (and possibly unaware) through to a new PB.

Jase

• Jase, I'm sure you'll fly round with 400's going that well. I had 400/100's this week but thru were hilly an not really near 6min/ml but not too concerned
    I read about Stratford for you, not good, but probably sensible?
    My Stratford went great but I had a lot of miles in by then. Not sure I've had enough since to better it but not gonna worry. Just going to try an enjoy the race
  • Cheers Jules,

Stratford in the end was a really easy decision, the hard bit was keeping focus between then and now. No excuses but I've probably done a little less than I would have liked in terms of distance, but there's years of training in the old legs to fall back on.

I saw from earlier you success as Stratford, well done.  I like what I saw of it a lot and would certinaly consider it again.  I'm toying with the new Chester route later in the year, looks a good one, the old route was a little soul destroying to be honest.

Jase

• Be warned with the Chester marathon Jase...apparently a lot of the local club (mailing list, not a member) are entering it and it was filling up VERY quickly so they commented.

I've got this race to do then toying with the Belper Rugby Rover for something different in August and then my first Baby ultra in Spetember! Really looking forward to building the milage over the summer.

@Sole Man - where's the July Ultra my friend?

• gonna be ready for this now

did Freckelton HM in a poor 2:30 on Sunday

not ran really in 3 months due to prostate problems, been real sick with it

and have only done 4 HM's since November, my training isn't great - nothing near what it used to be  

i like the Boddington event, just nicely around and around,

some peeps think were mad, not that i care what they think

so this weekend wil be a nice  plod really and see what happens

marathon will obviously be the aim TBH, but we'll see

• Mick-no idea you were doing this?! Sorry to hear you've not been well, must be difficult not running for that long, for the both of you.
    Always inspiring to see you at an event, I'll be sure to look you up Sunday. All the best to you both for a good race-and Nah! You're only as 'mad' as the rest of us!
  • Hi Mick,

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, haven't seen you in ages as i've been avoiding the longer distances. Will be nice to catch up again.

Don't forget guys, that there will be a minute silence before the races start for one runner who sadly passed away 3 wks ago and was well known on the marathon / ultra circuit.

See you there. 

• this race is Sunday at 11.15

i thought last years race was on Saturday at 8.am, ( or is that becuase the 100k was on as well ) i'm sure it was cos we ran another race on the Sunday

it was Wombourne HM it was undulating , and becuase of the marathon in my legs i found Wombourne a bit sluggish

• In truth

i'm not expecting anything or much form Boddington's run

my consultant  has told me to wean my way back in gently, ( Freckelton HM ) a wonderful race, but this is flat compared to that

so, were coming to have fun, regardless of how far we  run, and after to cheer everyone on

anything and everything will be a bonus 

• Not expecting too much either. Recently had an IT band injury which required a few weeks of resting. Have only run about 3 hours in total over the past 4 weeks. Going to guage it on the day and hoping previous fitness will come into play.

The aim was sub 3:10, several weeks ago. Might turn into a training run if I don't hit the times for 13.1M and 20M. If you see someone in a red vest, blowing through their @rse 2 hours into the race- more than likely it's me.

Have a great race everyone!

• Good to see you back out M&P, and I hope it goes well for you.

Quote looking forward to this one - no big expectations for a change, but a goal in mind.

Tyically the weather is forcasting 27 degrees, an 11:30 start shoud see us just ready to bake!

Sunscreen at the ready!

On other matters -  I think we pick numbers/chips up on the day  -is that everybody elses understanding?

I also read there is Hi5 on the course, but I've not had a response from Anne when I asked about this, ayone else have any more info?

Jase

• Numbers and chips deffo on the day Jase as I was in contact with Anne earlier this week to confirm my entry.

She then posted some info out to me, but exactly the same thats available in the above link that I posted a few days ago!

As for the Hi5 I'm not sure. You're advised that you can leave yourself a drink etc at the aid station but these have to be handed in before a certain time as i remember?

Taper week is doing me head in. Rest day today, stressed and I've pulled a nerve in me neck and can hardly carry mesel without it hurting! Aaaaghhh!

Going to try and run tomorrow night reckon. Should be okay i hope...?!

How about you all? What's the last few days? Rest or small runs or train as normal?

• My last run was today, 3 miles easy with 10 x strides. No running now until race day. Looks like it'll be a hot one this weekend, ....  and the VLM runners moan when  its 17C  image

Good luck everyone !

• Cheers Jules,

I think I'm just going to bring my usual fule belt and then no matter what I'm covered.

As for this heat, the only crumb of comfort I can offer is that my first ever marathon was Paris in 2007 and it was measured on the track at one point at 32 degrees, with no experience I ran this on only SIS Gels (I was told they were hypotonic and I believed it).  I still managed the thing in sub 4 , so 27 degrees should be a walk in the park eh...maybe not.

I've had a cold all week so just thought I'd do a five miler on Weds with 3 miles at MP, all felt good, the cold has now gone so that's it for me - no more running until Sunday morning.

I've tried most things in the last week, but I know I've  gone into plenty of marathons tired and stuggled later, but never regretted feeling fresh (on the odd occasion I have that is).

Good luck to every one doing this one and lets have a great time in the sunshine.

I'll be wearing a yellow Adidas singlet - if anyone wants to say hello.

Jase

• Here we go! All the best everyone!
  • My respect to everyone who ran at Boddington today

including those who made the trip up to Edinburgh a few weeks ago, with a nice breeze along the seafront, will toe the line at gloucester in january, you all earned it. 

• Indeed, commiserations to all the DNF's. Congratulations to all who completed the event, irregardless of your finish times. Mad dogs and Englishmen (+ women) eh?
  • DNF...
    Managed 17 miles heat stroke onsetting despite nigh on 3 litres of water poured/drank plus gel plus hi-5.
    EXTREMELY dissapointed, tried a run/walk strategy but that sapped it out of me too. Just too too hot...

Anyone else want to step up to the confessional?!
  • Jules firstly great to meet you but secondly really sorry to hear about that.

I decided to  pull out at six miles.  Remember we spoke at the begging about me going off at 7:45 pacing and pulling it into 7:25, well by mile six my heart rate was at 180bpm at 8 minute miling and I felt like I'd run a 10k.

Really for me it was an easy choice.  I had a long chat with another runner at the end who was of a simialr level to me and he pulled out at 6 miles also.

Sometimes it just doesn't happen on the day eh?

A quick and huge thanks to Nick who ran the 10k, and was kind enought to give me a pair of socks. Nick if you read this please send me your address and I'll put you a new pair in the post.

Jase

• we went to Boddington to take on a few miles and possibly the marathon ....

Friday evening when i took Mrs Mick out i knew my tummy was'nt right ... no idea what or how, but GP after prostate problems has warned me ...

Saturday ok, not bad, just a normal day of eating and drinking, then on to today, went to the Marathon - the 12 lapper....

i was ok, nout unusual really, preparation was as usual in every way, then it started to get warmer, and warmer, - GP said, be warned in warm weather with prostate trouble stomach could play up ...

and so it did, race time approached, we got to start, every one knew they were going to bake, and some knew it was going to be tough .. and tough it was, they dropped out sadly like flies ...

off we went, on first lap of 12, within half mile i was'nt right and i knew it, thirst was paramount, i tried laughing with close runinng buddies who i'd known for years, but by mile 1 my stomach told me to STOP ....

i stopped at the lap counter and told the marshalls we were with drawing, they were so kind about it, wishing us well, and we then drank, fed and spectated, giving them all the support we could, which they seem to appreciate and enjoy,

i seriously thought we were going to embarressingly be the only just started ... but DNF, how wrong i was

though later on and now i made the correct decision ...

were home, safe and happy, eaten and drank well, thats what matters ....

My priorities do lay with Mrs Micks & Phillip's well being and not another marathon ....

though i do now have to think  We do so hope everyone else is ok
  • Well done to all those runners that took part yesterday. I was helping out at the drink station. My uttermost respect to those that managed to finish in that heat. Anyone that pulled out then definately you made the right decision. I had thought about entering on the day but I don't do heat very well I'm sure I would have pulled out myself had I started. It was good that the race organisers had plenty of High 5 and water on hand.
  • Respect to everyone who started this one and even more to those who finished, although I do have to question your sanity.

I had enetered this race, but having seen the forecast on Friday took the decision to give it a miss. However, as I only live 5 miles from the course I did get up early on Saturday morning and run my own personal solo marathon. The plan was to do 12 complete laps and then pro-rota the time back to marathon distance. I set off at 7:00. It was a little breezy (15mph) but the temperature was only 15C rising to 18C at the end - positively chilly compared to Sunday!

I was hoping to complete my first sub-3 marathon. A reasonable target given I ran 3:01:55 last year. I tried at VLM11 but made the schoolboy error of going out to fast and crashed at 20miles, finally finishing in 3:07. At least I had a GFA in the bag.

So on Saturday I planned a even paced 15 minute lap strategy. First 10 laps went well and I was approx 1 minute up. I then started to cramp up and struggled to maintain the pace. I pushed hard and was actually physically sick twice, but carried on. I finally finished in 3:00:54. A new (unofficial) PB, but not sub-3.

This marathon game is torture, so close but still not there yet.

I am going to try again on the same course in 4-6 weeks time. Maybe if it's a bit cooler and not so breezy I might slip under that magic 3 hours. I would perfer to do this in an actual race, but am prepared to compromise.

Once again, well done to everyone.

• Mick and Phil, it was great to see you at the race - even on the sidelines.

Such a shame that the weather on the day was so hot, but really enjoyed the low hassle feel of  the whole thing - the start was probably the easiest I've ever been involved in.

Well done to the team who organised the whole thing - and really do consider running it at 9am next time, not sure why you didn't this time but really it would be a huge help.

Jason

• The late start may have been originally down to the church service time held at St Mary's which is on the course. But expect they do not have a service there every Sunday these days as the Vicar shares his time between two churches.
  • Just found out the Vicar has five churches he holds services at. So they must have a Sunday that is free. I'll speak to the race organisers as I see them regularly.
  • I did it! and I finished!

It was by far my slowest of six marathons so far, so I felt no pride when I shuffled up the finishing line. Had thought that the supporters had left one after one because their runners were already in the finish...

I was about to quit from mile 6 onwards because there was just no way to get the GFA qualification  of 3h 50 min for me. But then I just waddled along, slower than training pace. I took a shower at the hosepipe and a spongebath at the water station on every lap.

thank you to all of you at the water station, your friendly support was highly appreciated. thank you to everybody cheering on the course. Thank you to the neighbour with the hosepipe. Had there not been this additional opportunity to cool down I had dropped out at mile 13 at the latest.

the goody bag was the best one I ever got ( I really like the memento) !!!! And yes, I finally feel the deserved pride of having finished.

Well done, organising team!

MoniK

• Respect to those mad enough to finish the race yesterday, ( I use the term 'mad' . as i've done similar in the past and its cost me in the long term). I started off at a nice steady 6:30 pace and maintained this comfortably until just past 10 miles when i could feel the heat on the back of my neck and shoulders. By lap 7 my arms were burning, i didn't notice at first as i was wearing shades, but when i took them off i got a clear glimpse that i had seriously caught the sun. By this time i had lapped some runners 2 or 3 times, and felt quite sorry for them, but i've got wise over the years and knew it was the sensible option for me to pull out, there is no need to feel ashamed any of you who DNF yesterday, in fact, as it has already been noted on here, you did the right thing, i'm sure the last thing the race organisers would've wanted was a fatality on their hands. There'll be plenty of other opportunities to run marathons so just be patient, i've devoted the past 12 weeks of training just to achieve my goal, but will now settle for a cooler autumn race. Take it easy folks and try to look on the positive side image

ps, mick n phil,  nice to catch up with you both yesterday !

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Wow - well done everyone...

I was going to enter the marathon on the day as a long training run but decided to save my cash and plod around Cardiff instead, (I ended up doing 32 miles in the end - but did start at 5:30am!)

Maybe next year for me...