Safe to run a marathon with high blood pressure?

2»

Comments

• Cormorant that's exactly what did happen, i did stop for a few minutes (frightened myself) but i was 3 miles out on the Reculver sea wall so the stop, the slow walk, the gentle jog turned back into the run home hence my statement i ran through it, sorry i should have been more accurate and stated after it calmed down. but our body is quick to tell us " oi you really do not want to be doing that!" and i mentioned it to prevent anyone else being foolish like me running out of guilt on a full stomach. it was early in my running career when i was still pushing boundaries, thank you for your knowledge, it confirmed my suspicion it was heart palpitation / atrial fibrillation i have never experienced it before or since and that was about 3 or 4 years ago in my first year of running.

• CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭

Speaking from experience Rick! Had the odd one or two, then drank a ridiculous amount of coffee one day, went for a run on a stressful day the next and had palpitation for a week, fixed eventually by beta blockers. While I had it they put me on aspirin with the plan being to go to blood thinners to reduce stroke risk. Once it went away docs were happy to stop the meds and not seen it since - I drink less coffee too (but still some).

Glad to hear you stopped. You'd have probably struggled anyway as you have less puff during palpitations.

They are surprisingly common, once I mentioned I'd had one lots of others said they had too.

• Feed back on Moscow

Moscow Marathon, a logistical nightmare was it worth it?

Because of the weak and falling rubble, Russia is a bargain destination!

Moscow Marathon opens its entries mid February the cost is £11, for which you will receive a quality Adidas Technical shirt, water, energy drinks and fruit every 5km along the route, oh and a finishers medal so big you could eat your dinner off it! you will need a medical certificate stamped and signed by a doctor.
    you will need proof of travel/medical insurance
    http://moscowmarathon.org/en/

The easyjet flight Gatwick to Moscow booked 7 months in advance was only £88 return Friday to Monday.
    http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Booking.mvc

Hotel accommodation, I researched start finish area and centre of Moscow for sightseeing and settled for Mini Hotel Kvartira ???2 at approx £34 a night
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/ru/inn-on-komsomolskiy-9.en-gb.html
    You will need 6 months left upon your return from Russia before expiry of passport and a visa application http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/tourist.htm cost £50 +£38 service charge +£9 courier delivery of returned passport (ouch!) Note; you will need to attend the vfs global office to submit visa in person at which time you will be fingerprinted! so dial in the cost of a weekday visit to London via Barbican underground station, the waiting time is only 10 minutes in visa office thankfully. I applied for a 72hr Tourism.

My hotel was not very proactive in sending me the necessary booking reference / accommodation vouchers required for a visa so I engaged the help of Just Go Russia
    http://www.justgorussia.co.uk/en/russian_visa_full_assistance.html
    they charged me £10 and gave me all the host tourist company numbers required!
    (if you book a bigger say £100 a night hotel this would not be required as the bigger hotels would furnish all required accommodation vouchers etc, it soon became clear all these hoops may have been put in place as a reciprocal action, as we are making it increasingly difficult for Russian nationals to visit UK.

Lunch time Friday 18th and I arrived at Domodedovo airport and purchased an Aeroexpress train ticket to Paveletsky station Moscow (45 mins, approx £10 rtn 30 day ticket) Moscow Domodedovo Airport all Underground (Metro) tickets are only 50p per journey, now I’m no train spotter but the Metro is worth the Moscow visit alone look at the pictures http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/journeysbyrail/11590175/Moscow-Metro-80-years-of-the-worlds-most-beautiful-underground.html?frame=3295727

45 minutes metro (to Sportivnaya station) trip later and I have walked into the Moscow Marathon Expo located at State Central Concert Hall Rossiya at the Luzhniki Sports Complex, I presented my Med Cert, passport ID and collected my race pack/bib including required wrist bands for starting pens
    The Grand Sports Arena of the Luzhniki Olympic Complex | Stadiums | Beauty, health, sports | Where | Moscow Travel Portal
    Saturday was sightseeing day, walking along the river admiring the golden onion topped churches and the imposing Kremlin walls, a fantastic well po

• Good to hear back from you Rick, wondered what the email notification was after six months! Looks like the message got chopped off before we got the to the running part.  Look forward to reading the rest if you care to post it!

• oops sorry moscow part 2

Saturday was sightseeing day, walking along the river admiring the golden onion topped churches and the imposing Kremlin walls, a fantastic well policed, clean city where I felt safe being a lone tourist Take a tour | Where | Moscow Travel Portal.
    Sunday 20th September Race day
    up at 0730, a breakfast of a couple of sweet oat bars washed down with black coffee and peach juice then the short walk to the Metro then onto Sportivnaya station the atmosphere is incredible as thousands file out of the metro on towards Luzhniki Sports Complex all competitors must pass through metal detectors and bag searches showing wrist bands, bag drop and race pen entry went without incident or stress and I soon found myself counting down and off and running, really early on you find yourself running through the modern architecture of the new city Inspiration Modern Architecture Skyscrapers the 10km runners who all set off with you are directed off to the right as you run down wide 6 lane roads with a policeman at every lamppost security was high but there are few spectators in this area. at 12kms there’s the first climb into the older part of the city but for the most part the Marathon route is alongside the river with all the iconic views, at about 22kms I had a little walk at the brow of a hill then oops! I watched my 4.15 pacer flag slip by at 25km and the 4.30 pacer flag at 33km said to me just get your old crate home, running past red square and the Kremlin walls was great with better support here, water stations are every 5kms and with one exception well stocked and I’m blaming the hills the heat and (the truth) lack of practice miles! for not pushing on ..but happy to claim the t shirt and medal, what a fantastic city, thank you Moscow. (yes it was worth the Red tape!) where’s Wally next?
    Rick Ryder

• Sounds great - thanks for the update!