how many of you got dq for wearing ipods at races

14567810»

Comments

• jackie blackburn 2 wrote (see)
    Well said and spot on, I always wear my ipod for training and racing and have never been run over or crashed into anyone!.  If this rule was in place for a race I was thinking of entering, I wouldn't bother as listening to my music whilst running is part of the experience and I don't enjoy running without it!.
    imageGroup 2 definately.
  • Go-KL wrote (see)

To those who've posted that elite athletes never wear garmins in races because they are as bad as IPods in providing technical assistance care to answer why Haile G wasn't disqualified in Dubai for having his very own giant pacing device...

Cheating Haille G

You would have thought he could afford a garmin....................image
  • jackie blackburn 2 wrote (see)
    Well said and spot on, I always wear my ipod for training and racing and have never been run over or crashed into anyone!.  If this rule was in place for a race I was thinking of entering, I wouldn't bother as listening to my music whilst running is part of the experience and I don't enjoy running without it!.

I think the thing is Jackie, the concern some runners have about iPods/Music is not that it affects you, but it's how you as a runner can impinge on other people. 

It has been stated countless times on this thread so I won't repeat the argument, but while you may be perfectly able to run a race, your senses may be dulled slightly by the music you are listening to. This can cause problems for other runners and any other race officials etc.

I would hate to discourage people from running, but it's about the greater good for the race as a whole.

• image yes we must its important, isn't it. I mean I couldn't possible post on here if there wasn't an ipod/mp3 debate. Posting just wouldn't be enjoyable without it, its part of the experienceimage
  • I do apologise KK.

I did have a play with Cleverbot... I asked it

Myself - Where do badgers live?

Cleverbot - They come from women's reproductive organs.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    I love the stoicism of the nation. We MUST get back to arguing about ipods. Must!

hahahaha!

It does get a bit boring though and i'm a podder, yes yes we know some people think podders are unsafe, some people don't , some people are ignorant, some are not, blah blah blah. If you like it, wear it, if you don't, don't, if you get disqualified cos you didn't read the rules, quite right, if you can't run without your tunes, well then fair play to you, just don't enter races which ban them, if you can and do run without them well aren't you special, if you're an elite and you've been wearing a garmin or an ipod then you're cheating or something and if you'd like to buy a place in the VLM then  you're a fool - oh no wait........ wrong thread.

User: Do you think people should wear ipods whilst running?
    Cleverbot: I think people that do not think are crazy.
    User: Me too dude, me too.
    Cleverbot: Besides, you are too young.
    User: You are so wise.
    Cleverbot: Are you of the asian race?

.......what??!!!! image

• Go-KL wrote (see)

To those who've posted that elite athletes never wear garmins in races because they are as bad as IPods in providing technical assistance care to answer why Haile G wasn't disqualified in Dubai for having his very own giant pacing device...

Cheating Haille G

I suppose Dubia have different rules to the UKA?
  •  I predict a period of enlightenment approaching when all races fully adhere to the rules and all the people who cant possibly run without music actually find that when they become unplugged their legs will actually still work. Oh yes they will............... (and its not panto season yet, so no obvious responses to that please image)
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

In the case of trying to sue race directors (or others involved for that matter) should an accident occur.  Headphone wearers and those affected by them should be aware of the following.  The rules are the rules.  If you are in breach and something happens then it will be taken into account.

Contributory negligence

• I prefer a contributory negligé. Not to wear myself, you understand...
  • Just a bit of banter D2Dimage
  • Sorry D2D, but I haven't got any advice on women's underwear: the panties I wear, though shockingly pink and very lacy, would probably be too big for you anyway.