how many of you got dq for wearing ipods at races

Comments

• Nobody's mentioned barefoot running yet.... surely shoes are a form of technical assistance

<stir, stir>

• I ran this too & was impressed by how many signs were up to remind runners about the ipod ban. sorry sian but it was v well publicised.

One downside to the ban tho, went past someone who was listening to music via the speaker on their phone, very irritating, tinny moose. at least it made me speed up to get past them.

On phone so apologies for any typos.

• moose - should read noise, blumin autocorrect!
  • Typical of todays runner. On the phone writing on forum. Racing while listening to music. Can't we just enjoy doing one thing at a time.                 
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    MikeFrog wrote (see)

Nobody's mentioned barefoot running yet.... surely shoes are a form of technical assistance

<stir, stir>

So are technical materials in clothing. What constitutes "technical assistance" should really be a bit clearer really. The advice given was that iPods were not worn due to safety. That's up to the race organisers. I've run plenty of races where they've been allowed and while I've been in near misses with all types of people those wearing iPods are in the majority and look the most surprised. Those in costumes, with blond hair and with the no. 7 are usually apologetic and you can exchange words of "sorry" with them. You usually just get a glare from the iPod wearers.

The iPod wearers are not as easy to spot from behind as those dressed in costumes, wearing the number 7 or with blond hair. Maybe they should have to wear bright green 80's style sweat bands round their heads so that we can identify them and give them a wide berth?

I'm a musician and can't run to music. I would have to run to the beat and would be constantly looking for a tune to match the pace I want to run at.

• Shoes and clothing don't give technical assistance. I don't understand why people can't see that real time pacing info is. Or is it more a case of not wanting to see as so many of us couldn't pace ourselves without it? Lots are happy with an iPod ban because it satisfies their own prejudice agaist them, but a rule that may affect them somehow doesn't matter. Very fair.

I'm on my phone so can't post links but there was the case of the US female runner who was DNQd having placed in the top 3 because she was iPoded up. The ban was on the ground of technical assistance. We have also had the debate about GPS before and someone posted the rules which pretty clearly state the pacing is not allowed. Look it up. Or don't because it may actually mean you can't be so smug abou others who break rules.
  • All this technical assistance! Perhaps we should revert to the standard Greek Olympic kit. Olive oil.

Might be a bit chilly on the fells, though.

• Not to mention the Trossachs!
  • Tim - "Maybe they should have to wear bright green 80's style sweat bands round their heads so that we can identify them and give them a wide berth?"

Noooo! That would mean, as a non iPod user, I'd have to ditch my bright green sweat band. I could run without my Garmin, but never without that. It's the source of my power.

• Sian - I have run this race loads of times too.  Each year I have had my headphones on plus ipod - last year I noticed that an official was going round with a clip board as I came over the line he came up to me took a note of my number and told me that the rules did say that I wasnt allowed to wear them - I honestly hadnt checked having run the race before and told him so.  He did say that if I ran it again with headphones I would be disqualified (and he had taken my number on that clipboard....image).  I think the problem with Brentwood is that it does cross busy roads that they dont close so it is really simply a safety issue rather than anything else.
  • Makes sense to me.

I've also seen races run on quiet roads with ambulances struggling to get past runners in the middle of the road as they listen to their mp3s.  They just couldnt hear an engine idling 3 feet behind them.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I ran a half at the weekend and scoured the rules many times to see if mp3s were banned, they weren't and i ran with mine, i like running with one, I train with one, i also got a pb of 1.44 and i would have got it with or without the music cos i trained bloody hard.

There were many people running with one, I saw people getting in other peoples way without one, a dude stepped in my path with one, but a dude withut one also cut me up in a big way so much so that i had to shout at him and he apologised. Note he apologised - i hadn't not heard him shout first before you all jump on that one! My tunes weren't on loud, I had the lovely Elbow on in the background image

I geniunely don't think its to do with what's in your ears ALL the time, its to do with the person, the 3 women who were clearly not going to break 2hrs but were right at the front of the field that we had to scoot round, the chick that stepped out in front of me with nothing in her lug holes, she just didn't care to look, you get these instances all the time, people just choose, for some reason, to have a good old whinge at the MP3 brigade.

Yes if its in the rules don't wear one but you know, chill out, people are ignorant no matter what day of the week, race, tune they're playing or type of earphone they have in their ears.  

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    Shoes and clothing don't give technical assistance. I don't understand why people can't see that real time pacing info is. Or is it more a case of not wanting to see as so many of us couldn't pace ourselves without it? Lots are happy with an iPod ban because it satisfies their own prejudice agaist them, but a rule that may affect them somehow doesn't matter. Very fair. I'm on my phone so can't post links but there was the case of the US female runner who was DNQd having placed in the top 3 because she was iPoded up. The ban was on the ground of technical assistance. We have also had the debate about GPS before and someone posted the rules which pretty clearly state the pacing is not allowed. Look it up. Or don't because it may actually mean you can't be so smug abou others who break rules.

I agree that it gives a benefit in terms of pacing, and COULD provide an individual with an advantage.

A friend of mine was running in Commonwealth 100km last year in Keswick and all competitors specifically told NOT to use Garmins, and it was very strictly enforced...in my opinion to make it a more level playing field for all involved.

• I wear a holographic energy bracelet which gives me extra power on hills and the ability to see through Lycra... no nanny state, politically correct, health and safety gone mad race director has the right to stop me wearing it - nor take my light sabre off me
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)

Makes sense to me.

I've also seen races run on quiet roads with ambulances struggling to get past runners in the middle of the road as they listen to their mp3s.  They just couldnt hear an engine idling 3 feet behind them.

fair enough but on sunday an ambulance couldn't get past the runners and it was coming TOWARDS us, people just chose not to move over - you can't blame that on MP3s. No one was running with blindfolds as far as i could tell.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)

Makes sense to me.

Should have given a little "woop woop" on the siren, that'd have made them jump out the way image

I saw only two people using earphones at Brentwood (and due to the toilet queues I started waaaaaaay at the back and passed about 600 runners!).

The ones who were running four abreast in the road, the ones who suddenly swerved to the right across my path as he spotted a water station up ahead, and the one who threw water at another - making her jump right into my path - were all NOT wearing earphones.

When can we ban thoughtless and stupid people from races? image

• JWrun - I am very pro wearing ipods I prefer to 90% of the time.  I think where a race has specified that you dont then fair enough dont go for the race if cant do without your music.  The way that you cross the roads at Brentwood does need direction at times from the marshalls.  I can hear people fine with my headphones on and I guess what the organisers are saying is that in view of the fact that a minority of people have their headphones on far too loud to follow directions a ban in view of the road crossings and busy traffic is sensible.  Fair do. 
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Here here Wilkie, my point exactly. There must be some way of identifying stupid people at application stage image

• I agree with you never give up girl [love that!]  I was fully aware that the roads can be a bit dodgy in Brentwood having run it many times before...without my ipod! Was my first race wearing an ipod!!  But i run a lot of the time alone during all times of the day & evenings &  am very aware of my surroundings, but i guess that there are some people who are not & that then makes the H&S actions, i can fully understand why Brentwood inforced it & as i have said i know i was in the wrong, however didn't read the rules!! Know to next time!
  • Sian - must admit after nearly getting a disqualification last year myself I am ultraparanoid about reading the rules even on races I have done multiple times before.. Lesson learned I guessimage
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Do we really have people on here claiming that having a watch that gives them personal real time pacing information isn't technical assistance?

Give me a break.  You can argue that it doesn't matter and you can argue it's not effectively enforceable (the latter being a view with which I reluctantly agree particularly as those same watches can be used purely as a stopwatch) but don't argue against it being assistance.  The poster who thinks they only track distance needs to look at their garmin manual, they'll be in for a nice surprise.

With regards to the ipods.  Are some people really so feeble minded that they can't race without music?  Do they wear ipods in tennis tournaments or playing football? If you find distraction from something so vastly unpleasant necessary choose another sport.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)

Do we really have people on here claiming that having a watch that gives them personal real time pacing information isn't technical assistance?

No. My argument is that there is only a small difference between a HRM (which are allowed) and a GPS. I think the info from a HRM is far more useful than the pure speed info you can get from a GPS. 

• JWrun wrote (see)

Here here Wilkie, my point exactly. There must be some way of identifying stupid people at application stage image

An online spacial awareness test maybe?

In fairness the running community as a whole is far more considerate than the general public. The number of times I have been blatantly cut up at a race is minimal, compared to how often, (i) someone in front of me on an escalator stops dead when they get to the bottom, (ii) a large group of students stand chatting on a train platform blocking the entire access to the exit, (iii) i get driven at by mental motorists who never learnt the "when turning, give way to pedestrians already crossing the road" rule (etc etc).

• I use my garmin and it definitely helps, more for the distance when markers aren't out than the actual pace, as tend to listen to my body rather than my watch. I've no problem losing it if the rules require, although in my view having a watch is is a cheat to the same extent if you can do simple maths.

I don't know why people are so insulting and agressive towards the notion of people enjoying listening to music. There seems to be a perception that 'iplodders' are week-minded, not 'proper' runners or feeble as mentioned above. You can't generalise and even if it's true for some, so what, get off your high-horse, .

I love music and for me a lot of the joy of running is a chance to escape the humdrum and listen to my music, whilst taking in my surroundings. If anything it might be a disadvantage, the music I listen to has terrible rythmn for running, but I do it for the pleasure. I admit there are times when it does help me mentally, as there are some runs that I don'e enjoy, but I drag myself to do for training.  I run for pleasure, I'm a considerate runner when running with headphones and still talk to fellow runners and marshalls. I just think it's a shame that it looks like the number of races that I'll want to race in is declining, due to a perception of runners with headphones that's simply not true

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Couldn't agree more Sebastian, I just can't understand why the ipod wearers of the earth get so much grief, yes in some cases it makes people oblivious but there are oblivious people all around unfortunately.

And i could not have said it better David!

• People should run naked - end of. That'll sort out the men from the boys.
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Come on JB......a mankini at least. Somethings got to cover up your naughty bits!

• Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    People should run naked - end of. That'll sort out the men from the boys.
    Whatever floats your boat, I'll stick to the women thanks. image
  • I pods are great for long runs on your own. You can listen to albums/podcasts and breaks up the boredom associated with spending hours and hours isolated from anyone (bar the odd nod to a runner).

However, I think they are dangerous in races. The person running has no perception of whats around them and cant hear people approaching. I think that its good that they are banned.

Seems a bit harsh to be DQing without much warning although spose it is the only way to stop it.