how many of you got dq for wearing ipods at races

Comments

• JWrun wrote (see)
    Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

Ipods in races - absolutely no need if you seriously want your best time rather than just to plod around. If you just want to plod around then why are you in a race?

Another excellent generalisation, I got a PB on sunday, with my ipod in, also got a PB 3 weeks ago on a 12K without one, i'd say i seriously wanted my best time both races and I got it, sod all to do with my ipod, more to do with training 6 days a week i reckon!

Fair enough. Look at the elites. How many of them run with an Ipod in races? Absolutely none. Almost all use them in training though so they've no objection to them - they just don't think they're any use in races. If they thought there was any sort of performance gain don't you think they'd be wearing them?

Yes if you're fit and have done some training when you haven't really done much before you'll run a PB (particularly on a rarely run distance like 12k) whether you wear an Ipod or not. Once you're really pushing yourself to get the best performance *on the day* however you'll find you need to be totally associated with the race and the way you're moving and maintaining your effort level. That's a big part of the difference between the good runners and the not-as-good.

• My point is that the negativity surrounding the issue though that running with an ipod/mp3 player makes you a lesser class of runner is a disincentive for people to just get out there.... 

Race organisers have a job to do and i don't think anyone can really disagree with the "rules" whatever they may be. If you don't like the rules don't attend that particular event, (or take the chance on a DQ).

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @skotty -  As for sound in a car - I'm dead right. If I have my headphones on at 20dB I can hear more than you can with your car stereo on at 60dB. QED.

not proven and not a valid test. depends a lot on the noise cancelling qualities of the headphones.  

for both to be exactly the same surely you would test at same volume levels?

• @skotty - re. volume levels - garbage. Read what I said again.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

you said "Listening to music on a car radio is *exactly* the same as listening to music on headphones. "

it isn't.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    TimR wrote (see)

You only have to watch how many people run into or nearly run into bollards where race organisers have stationed a marshall to warn them of the bollard to realise how safe/unsafe iPods are.

I suppose it depends if you are racing for a club or not as to whether you are bothered about your place or a dq.

Yes because people with nothing in their ears never do things like that at races! Think you need to re-read some of these posts again.

@HH I'm not an elite nor do i have any desire to be one, your point about them wearing anything is bloody ridculous as there is no comparison between elites and amateurs of which I am one, i'm running pretty quickly thank you very much and I'm pretty chuffed with my times and winning a race, not many people can say they came first in a race so thats pretty tip top in my book regardless of the "rare" distance! lol!

You have no idea how much training I do or when i do it, you have no idea how hard I push myself or how i race, this comes back to my point of tarring everyone with the same brush. But its nice to know you can make snap judgements from a forum! I guess we can all be guilty of that though.

• I havent got an ipod can i wear this?
    http://soundsgoodtometoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sony-walkman.jpg

• HH - one of the reasons elites don't wear them is because they are banned as technical assistance. Sorry to bang on about it.
  • GB - you can use that as long as you change the foam to the cool orange ones and grow a 118 style maustache.
  • BDB - Doesn't apply in US re: non-championship races. Nothing to stop them doing it in the slightest unless race director specifically states that it will be enforced, and they choose not to wear the headphones.

JWRun - Winning a race really isn't very impressive as they've been diluted so much - if you pick the right race and just do even the smallest amount of training you can probably win one. Winning a decent race or running a fast time then you've got something to boast about.

If you think you've got nothing to try and learn from elite runners you're a very special individual. That said if you can just argue that you're nothing like them and the only reason they're faster is they're "different" then yep you're fine! But hang on a second - you're a race WINNER, don't sell yourself short here.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've never felt the need to shout at anyone in a race image

• Bad luck Sian, my friend got a DQ as well. We said hello going up the hill as we're in the same running club PPR.

Can I also mention that someone died after finishing this race, so please bear that in mind and enjoy every minute on the road/trail/fell with or without iPods.

• Ouchy, ouchy...and I thought only women were bitchy!

I must say, I am intrigued to know why runners of any ability think they can't run without an ipod? Whilst out attempting to support a race (cheering those with their ears bunged up is a thankless task! image) a girl was asked by the race H&S chap to remove her ear phone thingies..she was almost in tears, crying that she couldn't run without her ipod? What on earth is all that about? I can't run without my legs but my ipod??? image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Dips wrote (see)

crying that she couldn't run without her ipod? What on earth is all that about? I can't run without my legs but my ipod??? image

there have been many many posts on here claiming the same thing.  

• Blimey...perhaps there should be some rehab for the poor peeps. imageimage and what happens if you are in a race, you've forgotten to recharge the ipod and it fails half way? Do you DNF? Collapse, a quivering wreck?
  • @skotty - that's exactly my point. Your view is entirely distorted. I just know you're sitting there with a smug grin on your face.

Do you drive a car? Windows open or closed? Radio on? Ever crashed? I drive. Windows closed. Radio on - usally on loud. I've never crashed, never been involved in a crash, and have never obstructed emergency vehicles. I drive sensibly.  Yet

Do you ski or snowboard? MP3 player on? Ever collided with someone on the piste? I ski. With iPod on. Never collided with anyone or caused an accident. I've seen the odd collision between people not wearing iPods, though. YET

Your argument is weak. Cease, or provide evidence. For the record, "evidence" isn't "I saw this bloke" or "I couldn't get past this girl who was wearing an MP3 player". Real evidence, please. Or be quiet.Arrogance is downfall of man.
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    . As for sound in a car - I'm dead right. If I have my headphones on at 20dB I can hear more than you can with your car stereo on at 60dB. QED.

How come driving with headphones is illegal then and driving with a stereo isn't?

EDIT: just seen that it isn't illegal to drive with headphones - was sure it was! ignore me!

• Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @skotty - that's exactly my point. Your view is entirely distorted. I just know you're sitting there with a smug grin on your face. Do you drive a car? Windows open or closed? Radio on? Ever crashed? I drive. Windows closed. Radio on - usally on loud. I've never crashed, never been involved in a crash, and have never obstructed emergency vehicles. I drive sensibly. Do you ski or snowboard? MP3 player on? Ever collided with someone on the piste? I ski. With iPod on. Never collided with anyone or caused an accident. I've seen the odd collision between people not wearing iPods, though. Your argument is weak. Cease, or provide evidence. For the record, "evidence" isn't "I saw this bloke" or "I couldn't get past this girl who was wearing an MP3 player". Real evidence, please. Or be quiet.

Yeah Yeah we get it. You wear an Ipod, you must be in the right, if disproportionately defensive.

The point is that wearing an Ipod is an example of dangerous behaviour that can be controlled fairly easily, by banning Ipods and enforcing that ban through DQing people that break the rules. It's a bit more difficult to do that with people veering across to water stations, or just generally not hearing you coming, or whatever other examples you gave in your other posts. If you asked the people that insure the people that organise these races, you would learn a bit about risk management. You can't ban people that just happen to get in the way (unless their behaviour is obviously deliberate and reckless, in which case they are DQ under the rules of most races), it's far too subjective and unfair and its just part and parcel of having a lot of people all trying to occupy the same space at speed. And injury in those circumstances is a risk that it's reasonable for insurers to take. However, it is fair to ban people wearing Ipods because that is a clearly identifiable objective behavioural trend and it's banned because it increases the risk of injury to the wearer and those around them and the insurers, sensibly, want to control and mitigate that risk. It would of course be impossible to police an ipod ban on some subjective scale of volume, number of earpieces used, quality of noise-isolation technology etc and so the ban has to apply to MP3 players across the board.

I have absolutely no problem conceptually with people running with music. That doesn't make them more or less of a a runner than me or anyone else. I do it myself occasionally. It's not about whether it makes you a proper runner or not. Doing it in a race is the problem.

If you don't think it's dangerous, ask the girl in front of me who twisted her ankle on a hidden tree root in the New Forest half the other week because she didn't hear the marshall's warning, because she was wearing an Ipod. Does that count as evidence or is anecdotal evidence the sole preserve of the "I am always right" brigade?

You should turn your car radio down by the way, you might cause an accident.

• I thought it was too. But now we have those stupid cheap hands free car kits that have headphones.

I use a bluetooth connection direct to my car. Much more civilised image

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

BDB - Doesn't apply in US re: non-championship races. Nothing to stop them doing it in the slightest unless race director specifically states that it will be enforced, and they choose not to wear the headphones.

JWRun - Winning a race really isn't very impressive as they've been diluted so much - if you pick the right race and just do even the smallest amount of training you can probably win one. Winning a decent race or running a fast time then you've got something to boast about.

If you think you've got nothing to try and learn from elite runners you're a very special individual. That said if you can just argue that you're nothing like them and the only reason they're faster is they're "different" then yep you're fine! But hang on a second - you're a race WINNER, don't sell yourself short here.

imageIf you say so HH, sounds like you're just trying to get a rise. Nowhere have i said i have nothing to learn from the elites but thanks for putting words into my post. But yes i am a pretty special individual. And just re-read my post - didn't mention different-ness either, are we on the same forum?......... 

Think maybe i'll leave you to stew in your own juices.

• edit x2

while not directly illegal top wear headphones it can be deemed as being distracted

a quick google search reveals a certain perma-tan peter andre was cautioned recently for wearing ipod hearphones

• JWrun wrote (see)

Says in my post there i got a PB in a 12K without one. I actually won that race.

The PB on sunday was a 1.44 and that is the quickest i have ever ever run a half, without an ipod, with an ipod, just repeating myself here but i don't think its got anything to do with the ipod in my case at least - i hardly think Elbow is really the most driving music as lovely as it is. It was pure hard work and determination - perhaps that a good point, perhaps people with ipods who say they can't run without one are just using it as an excuse??

Anyway, good work on winning the 12k man, great stuff! Just out of interest, what time did you run for that? You're half time is decent enough but If you're winning reasonably competitive 12ks you've got scope to further improve on that.
  • Yup I can run without headphones just prefer not to. I've come a long way though, used to run with these things http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96710&id=567895695&saved#!/photo.php?fbid=22197465695&set=a.22197440695.96710.567895695&theater

Think you could argue they're fairly unsafe if only if they fall and crush someone.

• imageimage Surprised you didn't topple over with the weight of them!
  • Reading all these arguments reminds me of what people used to say about drink-driving. Before anyone starts, I'm not saying wearing an ipod is as dangerous as driving drunk. What i am saying is the tone of argument is the same. Back in the day when drink-driving was much more common than it is now you had many people claiming they were better drivers after a couple of glasses of wine, or they only drove in daylight, or on routes they knew, or they'd limit themselves to two or three pints.  All points put across by folk who believed they were safe and shouldn't be required to abide by other people's rules, rules imposed because some people got drunk and caused accidents.  The no ipod rule is, primarily, a safety measure. Someone has looked at the risks and made a decision based on those risks.
  • ^^ Fuel meet fire i'm sure you'll get along fine image
  • AllNewTB wrote (see)
    Reading all these arguments reminds me of what people used to say about drink-driving. Before anyone starts, I'm not saying wearing an ipod is as dangerous as driving drunk. What i am saying is the tone of argument is the same. Back in the day when drink-driving was much more common than it is now you had many people claiming they were better drivers after a couple of glasses of wine, or they only drove in daylight, or on routes they knew, or they'd limit themselves to two or three pints.  All points put across by folk who believed they were safe and shouldn't be required to abide by other people's rules, rules imposed because some people got drunk and caused accidents.  The no ipod rule is, primarily, a safety measure. Someone has looked at the risks and made a decision based on those risks.
    exactly.
  • JWrun wrote (see)

BDB - Doesn't apply in US re: non-championship races. Nothing to stop them doing it in the slightest unless race director specifically states that it will be enforced, and they choose not to wear the headphones.

imageIf you say so HH, sounds like you're just trying to get a rise. Nowhere have i said i have nothing to learn from the elites but thanks for putting words into my post. But yes i am a pretty special individual. And just re-read my post - didn't mention different-ness either, are we on the same forum?......... 

Think maybe i'll leave you to stew in your own juices.

I point out that elites choose not to run in them because they know it helps them run faster - you say "your point about them wearing anything is bloody ridculous as there is no comparison between elites and amateurs of which I am one" how does that imply anything other than that you don't think you can learn from what the elites do? If "there's no comparison" and you don't "have any desire to be one" you clearly think they're different. If not - why is there no comparison? Surely you're both looking to run as fast as posisble.

It annoys me when you try and claim that it's absolutely fine to run with them because you've personally run a PB in them rather than look at the wider evidence. Race winners have a higher responsibility.

• I can understand that race directors are having bans imposed on them, but I wonder if the insurance industry has actually had any PL claims as a result of ipod usage at races or similar events.  Anyone know?  Or are they just being pre-emptive.

With regards to the lady twisting her ankle, she may have done so anyway.  I zone out in races.  I also zone out walking and get a little surprise if sometimes if someone passes me.