Options

how many of you got dq for wearing ipods at races

Comments

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

xine - thanks but he doesn't say "pacing aid" there, but perhaps he did elsewhere or that was his intention.  Or maybe I'm being pedantic because it's nonsensical!

shine on you.......most runners (should) have a relatively consistent cadence no matter what speed they are running.  Your stride rate doesn't dictate your speed, it's your stride length.  Or is it somehow supposed to be tallied with heart rate?  What do you mean?  Or is simply a case of scheduling Eye of The Tiger at the end and Billy Bragg at the start?

It still makes no sense to me.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Rosemary Runner wrote (see)

Events are for all people of all levels.  Many people find running mentally difficult and the music helps them.  Personally, my main problem in races is lack of confidence and the music does help me big time.  I am sure other runners have certain things they run with (favorite socks, running drinks etc) and particular routines as this mentally assists them, or more importantly, they believe it does.

Yeah - I have something that mentally assists me - it's called training.

If you need music to help you get around and if you use music to help you get around, then you are in fact cheating. ie using electronic device to assist.

As for ipod / mp3 players 'zoning out' well I do this without an ipod / mp3 player. Which is probably why I find that wearing one is more of a hinderence than a help.

• Options

I find some people on this forum extremely offensive

Don't bother posting then! It's an open forum. Nobody makes you do it.

I believe I am extremely considerate in races and follow race etiquette, always looking behind me and indicating before pulling out. 

Are you SERIOUS? You "indicate" before pulling out? What, like in a car? image

Do you have flashing indicators? And what if I decide to not LET you out? How am I going to tell you to bugger off from cutting me up if you can't hear me?

In addition, when you run with headphones/earpieces in, you are not completely blocked up - until you have run with them yourself, you would not know. 

YES YOU ARE "BLOCKED UP". And are you suggesting we've never run with earphones in? Just because I wouldn't race with them in doesn't mean I've never dabbled in a training run.

• Options

I've only been running for about 9 months and in the beginning when just running around quiet roads in a housing estate I used an MP3 player, but to be honest I found myself paying more attention to the music than the actual running, so It was soon ditched.

I would never dream of going back to using one now, would much rather listen to my body and more so listening to my surroundings, after there are some crazy people behind wheels of cars these days.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

it is amazing that the human race survived so long before the invention of the iPod.

even more incredible is the hundreds of thousands of runners who managed to run marathons without them.  

• Options
    In Dunplop green flash and all Skotty....image
  • Options

Can someone please tell me when an ipod thread comes up??? christ sake image

I see some berk got in with the deaf people argument early doors..always rely on one.

• Options
    Dunplop? Was that deliberate?
  • Options
    Course it was! image
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Can someone please tell me when an ipod thread comes up??? christ sake image

I see some berk got in with the deaf people argument early doors..always rely on one.

this isn't any normal ipod thread,

action was actually taken.

so now people are faced with the genuine possibility that ignoring the rules can lead to DQ.

• Options

Just found out DUNPLOP is actually a surname! LMAO!

• Options
    Moraghan wrote (see)

xine - thanks but he doesn't say "pacing aid" there, but perhaps he did elsewhere or that was his intention.  Or maybe I'm being pedantic because it's nonsensical!

shine on you.......most runners (should) have a relatively consistent cadence no matter what speed they are running.  Your stride rate doesn't dictate your speed, it's your stride length.  Or is it somehow supposed to be tallied with heart rate?  What do you mean?  Or is simply a case of scheduling Eye of The Tiger at the end and Billy Bragg at the start?

It still makes no sense to me.

TBH I'm not 100% sure how it worked, but she made a playlist based on the bpm of the songs to get  a sub 55 min 10K then over time updated the playlists with faster songs as she got faster. Maybe she was running with too slow a cadance and this was increasing as her running improved (this was in her first year of running and she went from a ~70 min 10K to ~ 48 mins in that time). Anyway her coach now does not allow her to race with an ipod but she still insists she could do better if she could use music to "set the pace".

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    If it is so dangerous why photo people and DQ them at the end. Why wern't they pulled out when first spotted.
  • Options
    It's, ahem, hard to pull people off while they're moving.

fnar fnar
  • Options

Shine on- maybe your mummy was just fitter and faster. Stop trying to put it down to ipod "voodoo"

Rosemary Runner-stop being offended. If we all agreed then this thread would die ages ago. I think most i-pod wearers are slow plodders but I know one or two that aren't. The generalisation IS true but of course there are exceptions to every rule.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

To start with I occasionally run with an ipod, when on pavements and in daylight.
    I don't ever wear one for racing.
    What I find beggars belief is the assertions on the numerous threads about this issue that being plugged in no way impairs hearing or in any way reduces ones awareness. Maybe its just me, but the idea that having music plugged directly into your ears doesn't hinder hearing is ridiculous and defies all logic and rational thought. When I do have a run with them, and as I said at the outset this is on paved , lit areas, I do not hear cars until they are almost on top of me, I have no awareness of other runners or cyclists behind me and to be honest I'm more lost in the music than in tune with my running.
    How many of those who believe it doesnt hinder awareness would ride a bike on the roads with an ipod on as they do for running. If not , why not? Otherwise the whole, "I can hear fine" argument doesnt stack up.

Should people be DQ'd? well I guess if its in the rules then yes. Why is it in the rules? H&S.
    I did the Fleet half (as I believe JWRun did too.) and to be honest I did get cut up by 'podders and no-podders alike, but I am blessed with a voice box so could warn runners if I was coming thru to the left , or the right (not that it happened very much). Funnily enough most of those who heard this weren't plugged in and were more than happy to indulge in a small bit of banter. As an aside after the race I cheered in some of the slower runners. Not a single word of thanks from those who couldn't hear me , many a smile and a nod from those that could.

David Hellard - how did your friend get on at Amsterdam aiming for the sub 2:15, would have put him top 3 for UK in 2010?

• Options
    I ran Brentwood on Sunday and saw a lot of signs stating ipods were banned. One of them was placed right next to a sign stating "Strictly no high heels" which I assume was meant to be in the gym area?

Well done Brentwood.

The only surprising thing is that it took 6 pages of an ipod thread for Intermanaut to start insulting everyone who disagrees with his point of view.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Ok, firstly, people need to put 'skotty' on ignore because he is clearly a troll.

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Running on my own I have music - simply because I love music (and I find LSR's a little boring after 2 hrs). I have never used it in a race or ever would so the issue of getting dq would never arise. They should be banned I feel at least in any UKA affiliated races and the ruling should come from them rather than a mish mash of different regs for different races - ie some clarity.
  • Options

Tim.dangerous ground to try and pull someone up..you can't not physically manhandle people off a course......you can stop them going into a stadium or take their number and disqualify them.

to me the arguemnet can go on and on about if they are safe or not..

it comes down to the fact if the race organisers say no ipods....then don't enter the race if you can't comply with the rules.............

some people train with their dogs every run........but if the race bans dogs then they respect it..........

If you don't like the fact that more and more race organisers are banning it then organise your own race where headphones and music are compulsory............

• Options

Can't remember who it was, or the many who said ipods / MP3 players are pacing devices - try putting on some reggae and pacing yourself to thatimage.

Can't think how I missed this yesterday, classic posting.image

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I find some people on this forum extremely offensive

Don't bother posting then! It's an open forum. Nobody makes you do it.

In addition, when you run with headphones/earpieces in, you are not completely blocked up - until you have run with them yourself, you would not know. 

YES YOU ARE "BLOCKED UP". And are you suggesting we've never run with earphones in? Just because I wouldn't race with them in doesn't mean I've never dabbled in a training run.

Bit of a harsh reponse to Rosemary's post LB, think she made some quite valid points (and some people can be pretty offensive in fairness)

Some interesting posts all round really, not sure you can class using an ipod as cheating but ok, i guess for me I really enjoy wearing it, i like running with music, its my escape and for me they go together, in a race if i can wear it and its not against the rules then I will. I'm running Edinburgh and its clear in the rules that you can't wear one, so i won't, end of. No doubt i'll get a tune stuck in my head anyway!!

As Seren says, no one will ever agree cos you have people on one side and people on the other but its pretty sad to dismiss points of view just because you are so against podders! As many people have said here, people are ignorant no matter what is in their ears.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Have we had the "you're all snobs because you think ipod wearers aren't real runners" line yet?

I think the deaf runners one has been done. 

• Options

Yep, you can't have been concentrating Muttley, old bean.  Think that was done pages ago. 

And to whoever mentioned that it's difficult to run races where there are miles with no support, I live in rural Hampshire and mainly do local races - most of which are run across swathes of land without any support at all - we've all survived.

Music has its place in running, but if race rules say no ipods etc, then IMHO, serves you right if you get caught.

• Options

I-pod wearers ARE real runners. They are GENERALLY the slow plodders. The difference is that a good athlete uses all the elements to gauge his or her race. They use pain as a guide and don't try to block it out. I-pod wearers don't bother me too much because on the whole I don't run with them in races because they are well behind plodding along. If you think about it I'm saying I-pods shouldn't be banned but don't ask for respect.

SKOTTY-not sure about this nerdy internet language but I think a "troll" is someone who has a differnet opinion to very opinionated people(D2D??)

• Options
    Moraghan wrote (see)

Correct - I did not say an ipod is a pacing device.  It can however be classed as a device that gives technical assistance as some use it to make them run faster. 

GPS devices can give real time pacing info. This too is technical assistance and I believe is specifically banned within UKA rules, though as others have pointed out it is completely unenforceable.

The reason I bought the two up is to highlight the smugness of some who are obviously cock-a-hoop about the prospect of bans and have little sympathy for people that break rules that they themselves like.  Happy to criticise others that couldn't be bothered to put time into developing mental strength to complete races without a the crutch of their music, but couldn't be bothered to learn how to pace themselves.  

For the record - I train with GPS, HRM and an ipod most of the time but only race with a HRM.  Not because of rules, but I race better without the ipod and the GPS is more of a hindrance.  BUT, if individual races want to ban ipods, then people should respect it.

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

Have we had the "you're all snobs because you think ipod wearers aren't real runners" line yet?

I think the deaf runners one has been done. 

I think I may have used it, or something similar Muts, because I largely believe it to be true.

No one has ever produced any real evidence that it is a problem in races beyond "I was cut up", "I saw someone trip up" "I heard about an ambulance being held up by a couple of seconds".  Despite asking for real evidence, it would appear there is none.  Apart from race directors, with whom I sympathise if they are being dictated to by outside parties (local authorities, Police, insures etc) most other people's views on both sides are purely based upon their own dislike and lack of empathy for other peoples running enjoyment.

• Options
    JWrun wrote (see)

Bit of a harsh reponse to Rosemary's post LB, think she made some quite valid points (and some people can be pretty offensive in fairness)

I thought about rephrasing it afterwards JW, but to be quite honest I'm getting a bit sick of people complaining about being "offended" on an open forum. This is a pretty tame one and if she finds people telling her how it is "offensive" then perhaps its not the right place for her.

I thought the arguments she put forward were the typical protests of someone who hasn't got a bloody clue how annoying she is to other runners and they're all the same ones we hear each time this debate rears its ugly head.

The only argument I agreed with was that we should be trying to encourage people to take up the sport of running, but if that means encouraging them to break the rules, I'd rather have no part in it.

But I take the point and I have put my knife back in the drawer and I'll be good now....image