Vitamin D Test Results

I have just got back test results for Vitamin D levels and I am not sure if I am reading the results correctly. Can anyone interpret them for me?

I know I should ask the lab to explain but they are very slow to respond to anything so I though I'd try here first.

The bottom line of the results (for total of D2 and D3) reads:

7L   ng/ml  32-100

The 7L is under column Out Of Range

The ng/ml is under column Units

And 32-100 is under column Range

I understand that 32-100 ng/ml is roughly considered to be the healthy range and that below 15 or 20 is considered to be deficient.

My question is what does my 7L mean? Is a reading of 7ng/ml (very low)? Or is it 7 below the range i.e. 25? I think it is the L that is confusing me! Or perhaps my low vitamin D levels have addled my brains and I am being really thick. Thanks.

Comments

• OK, a bit of research and I have managed to answer my own question

The result was 7ng/ml and the L just stands for low, because it is lower than the normal range of 32-100.

Time to start hitting the vitamin pills!

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    If your vit D is low you need to get out in the sun more.  I suggest running naked.
  • That's the problem. Ever since I got the ASBO for running round Windsor naked, my vitamin D levels have dived.
  • Hi Kryten

I've just received my results too and my levels are through the floor (along with my energy levels...)!  I'll now have to force myself to spend time in the sun without sunscreen.  It's cod liver oil, a D3 supplement, egg yolks an even more sardines for me then!!!!!

It will be nice to have energy again and a body that doesn't constantly ache!  Who'd have thought a vitamin could affect you so much eh...?

• Agreed, I have a whole list of minor but annoying ailments at the moment. One fun one is really dry skin inside my ear canals that causes my ears to itch so much it wakes me up in the middle of the night. A real itch I can't scratch! image

I will be taking 10,000UI of vitamin D3 a day along with cod liver oil for the vitamin A.

I'm sure you know already but the ideal level is 50-70 ng/ml. More than 100 is consider too much and over 150 can be toxic. So if you are taking a large D3 supplement, like me, then you need to get retested to ensure that you don't end up taking too much. I am planning to re-test in 10 weeks when I think I should roughly have reached the 50 ng/ml mark.