Cheshire Traithlon, May 22nd

Comments

• Think I've got a sat morning free in a couple of weeks so I'm gonna pop along to the local Tri club's swim session and see if I can harass them for some info on wetsuits.

The more I read about Outlaw the more it seems like a better option should I choose to commit. Positive feedback in the events review section from people on here and some other Tri websites.

My plan of attack is to keep plugging away at the swim, enter another event or two this year, train through winter with an Ironman in mind and then see how I'm shaping up early next year. If I decide to go ahead then there are a couple of tri's I could do before July at increasingly longer distances to help me build up to Iron. It looks like there are still places for this years Outlaw so I could make a decision relatively late on depending on my fitness anyway.
  • Cake wrote (see)
    *Frodo* wrote (see)
    *whispers* I'm unofficially thinking about Outlaw in 2012 too SD.

image You have mail mmmuuuuaaaagggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

image What on earth possessed me to commit that thought in writing? *facepalm* image

It only becomes a real possibility if I don't get one of the jobs I'm going for. If I'm still here in six months time, I will need something new to focus on to avoid going insane. But then entering an Ironman probably qualifies as a form of insanity anyhow image

• (takes print out of thread for use in blackmail later)
  • Hi Supercaz - can't think of any campsites in Bristol but there's one in Bath I think - only 40 mins or less drive away.  If you're coming by train, there're quite a few hotels near the station.  South Glos is close too where there's a scout camping place in Woodhouse Down which might let people camp at other times in the year possibly.
  • Well no normal person would think, hmmmm, a Marathon that's difficult, why dont I make it harder by swimming for over 2 miles then cycling for over 100 miles until I'm really exhausted image then I'll jump off my bike and start  the marathon then!!  Yeah!! That's a GREAT idea image image image
  • Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Well no normal person would think,

Define normal ????

• Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Well no normal person would think,

image define normal, Al? image

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    (takes print out of thread for use in blackmail later)

image image 

Ach well - fourteen months is a long time in which to learn to swim properly image

• Normal: goes through life without wanting to attempt to break down and annihilate (I think that's how you spell it) their own body and mind through physical and mental exhaustion!!

So this would exclude anyone who has entered any sort of endurance race and especially anyone moronic enough to enter an Ironman, where's that entry form again?!! image

(taken from the very concise Big Al Dictionary)

• At least an Ironman takes less than 24 hours to complete image
  • It will take you less than 13 hours big Al, you've then got the other 14 to eat cake ( not the forum member because that would be wrong ), drink beer and cheer at the rest of the pirates still to finish.
  • Some days it’s really rewarding to be on a running and tri network site. image That’s Al and Frodo strung up like kipper’s.

Al might be worth e-mailing the tri club and see if they recommend anyone for wetsuit hire. That way can be done and dusted in time for a open water swim in two weeks.
  • He's a nice bloke but I couldn't eat a full one!!  image

13 hours on the go, is that all?!! It sounds so easy when you say it like that!!

Beer at the finish tho, mmmmm. Anyone had beer during?? Just a thought.

• The open water centre at Salford Quays (where I'd be going) do, already checked it out!! Like the kipper I am!!
  • image My better half is there right now about to get wet. there is a chance I might be there as well when you go. image Sheffield tri club do saturday mornings and I'm normally working. Frodo lives nearby as well. *hint hint*

Oh and no one has drank a beer as far as I know but last year I winded up a few people by smoking a fag going round outlaw. image

• Ha Ha, if they take it that seriously then they deserve to be wound up! It's a ridiculous distance to even contemplate so if something raises your spirits then so what?!!  Although I doubt I'd appreciate a lung full of smoke on the way around!

Beer on the other hand, no airborne pollutants!

The open water swim I'm gonna leave for a few weeks, want some tips in the pool first then I'll put some sessions in.

• Barley road in front of me on the run section of the The Big Woody holding out a can of stella

and The Admiral Rosey offered me a slurp from his pint at 14 miles on last years IMUK

I did once drink a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale at mile 12 of the Great North Run and still go sub 2hrs.. But I was young and fit back then

I learnt OW at Salford Quays, Don't work in Manchester any more and Manley Mere is closer, But Salford is good 

• Manley mere looks like a good alternative when I get a wetsuit, save me fighting through the traffic to get into Salford.

• Where abouts are you Al ?  I'm only 3 miles from  Manley

Salford's not bad depending which way you are heading, I used to work by the airport, so it was Ok I was heading inbound as most people were heading out...

• Big Al 123 - i normaly go to Boundary breeze near knutsford on the thursday evening even salford is only 10 minute bike away for me.. http://www.uswimopenwater.com/Boundary%20Park.html

• Newton-le-Willows Dave, about 20 miles from Salford and 30 from Manley mere. You're prob right about traffic as most people are coming out of Manchester at that time and Sat mornings are no problem anyway.
    Whenever I've been to Salford it's been a nightmare journey but it's usually in the mornings.
    Cheers Steve Ho, another alternative. Spoilt for choice I am now image
  • I could do the airport to parked at the Lowry in 20 minutes leaving the airport about 5:15.  And my driving didn't scare Cake too much on Saturday night 
  • That's not what he said on Sunday!! image
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Parklife wrote (see)
    Hi Supercaz - can't think of any campsites in Bristol but there's one in Bath I think - only 40 mins or less drive away.  If you're coming by train, there're quite a few hotels near the station.  South Glos is close too where there's a scout camping place in Woodhouse Down which might let people camp at other times in the year possibly.

Thanks for that.  I've had a look at the event website and it implies that it might be a late start.  That means I could probably drive down on the day.  I'm still only going to sign up with other Pirates do though.

As for wetsuits, my advice is to try a few on.  If you go along to a tri club then some members might allow you to try theirs so that you get an idea of what you are after.  I would also recommend hiring one as you can exchange it if you get the wrong size.

I got mine from Snugg as I am an awkward size so needed a custom made one.  From memory, I think custom made Snuggs start at about £200, but they do an entry level off the shelf one too.  Popular brands at my tri club seem to be Snugg, Blue Seventy and Orca.

Snugg also have the advantage that they can replace individual panels if they get damaged, or if you change shape.  Not many other companies offer that service.

But trying before you buy is essential.  The fit is very important.  If it is too small then you won't be able to get if off quickly and if it is too big then it will let a lot of water in and not keep you warm.

• Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    That's not what he said on Sunday!! image
    And I thought 2 hours for Keswick to Nantwich was taking it easy
  • Thanks SuperCaz, I think I'll do that. Gonna get some pointers at my local Tri club then start some open water swimming with a hired wetsuit that way I can find what is best for me without being stuck with something that is the wrong size ( I already made that mistake once with my bike, £900 was a costly mistake image )
  • Royles in Wilmslow have just opened a new shop to cover swimming and running (next door to Starbucks) They have an endless pool where you can try wetsuits out and they take a range to Salford