Cheshire Traithlon, May 22nd

Comments

• Just checked the results, I came 3rd!!!! Go on Dave, I know you're really gonna go to town on the Sandbagger now! image I can't believe it, a podium finish on my first tri, how smug am I right now?! imageimage
  • Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Great result Al!  Well done. 

Great weekend, lovely to meet up with everyone and I got a 3 min pb over last year! 1:40. image  Shame I mucked up T2 by going to the wrong spot and nearly putting someone elses shoes on.  ooops!  Lost a couple of minutes there.  image

Hope everyone had a safe jouney home.

• Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Just checked the results, I came 3rd!!!! Go on Dave, I know you're really gonna go to town on the Sandbagger now! image I can't believe it, a podium finish on my first tri, how smug am I right now?! imageimage
    Repeat that at IMUK next year and we might let you off
  • Well done to you too SD, despite the shoe confusion!

To get a PB with such a difficult bike leg is great, although I'm new to tri I do quite a bit of cycling and the wind made it really tough yesterday so you should definitely be proud.

• Sorry I missed you yesterday Dave, I was looking around pre event but I didnt spot any pirates until I bumped into Cake having a post race fag!

You're really trying to rope me into this Ironman malarky aren't you?! You just wanna share the agony with someone else dont you?!!! image

Well I'm gonna book in for September off the back of that result and see if there are any other relatively local events to enter in the meantime. Then I'll see how my training goes over the winter and go for Oly and possibly half Iron next year. Ironman is prob a 2013 goal and a podium finish at that will never happen I can assure you!
  • I did the Cheshire tri as my first event, and the following year did my first IM.. So did Holgs and Min.  Can be done !

Sorry I had to dash off, But had been up in the Lakes all week, and after dropping Cake off at Nantwich (he camped)  didn't get home til gone 8 on Saturday night, and then dashed off at 7 to do the event. I really needed to get home to unpack the climbing gear, and help Sue with shopping etc....

• Al - have you had a look at Trentham Tri?
    Oh, and congrats on coming 3rd by the way! image
  • Yeah Dave sounds like you'd had more than enough at that point, I don't blame you. I'm sure I'll catch up with you at another event as I think I've found my new sport so I reckon I'll be doing a lot more Tri's.

Cheers Frodo image Think I looked at Trentham but was working or had something on that day, I'll have another look tho as things may have changed in the meantime. Is it any good?
  • My shoulders are rigid this morning.....

I really enjoyed the swim I did on Saturday, But swimming straight into a howling gale for the first 750m, and having waves breaking over you as you swam, did make me wonder what I was doing there.. Surfing the 750m back was great fun, So I was dead happy with 37m for 1500m.

Couldn't  get my shoulders to work at all yesterday morning (well thats my excuse for a crap swim). But 1:27:40 wasn't bad for an old fat bloke !

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/45303/Gallery/keswick_dcb.jpg

See, I was stuffed after that swim (Thanks to Holgs for the photo)

• Doesn't look too warm in that pic Dave, rather you than me!! that's a good time too, well done.
  • Wasn't actually that cold, It was more the battering from the waves that was knackering
  • Looks a bit choppy that water! All part of the fun tho eh?! image

Know why I discounted Trentham now, it's an open water swim and I don't have a wetsuit yet and don't plan on buying one this year. Got enough to pay for at the minute. I'll stick to pool based for now.

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/45303/Gallery/229463_10150183401641846_605466845_7402599_3303569_n.jpg

From the beach to the bouys by the island, round the island and back to the beach.. Madness

• image Well I had a horrible race the winds conpleatly messed me up on the bike and can't coop with cross winds at the best of times, swim as crap and only slightly redeemed myself on the run. But got to have a beer with Soupy and Caz, Saw holgs give his talk and had a natter with dave althrough I was struggleing to stay awake after the travel and stuff.

Plus was meet Al for the first time and thinking we will see a lot more of him, the poor lads hiocked but doesn't know it yet. Oh and

Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Just checked the results, I came 3rd!!!! Go on Dave, I know you're really gonna go to town on the Sandbagger now! image I can't believe it, a podium finish on my first tri, how smug am I right now?! imageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage Very well done sir image

• Cheers Cake image I was disappointed with myself on the way home cos I can do the run in under 10 mins normally, that's off the bike too. The bike ruined my legs yesterday and just wouldn't turn over like normal but I don't care now after seeing the result.

The swim went better than anticipated despite someone slowing me down towards the end then getting in my way while I was trying to sprint past them to transition.

Transitions went like clockwork and I don't think I lost any time there at all so overall it went much better than I could have hoped for especially in the windy conditions, only one person passed me on the bike and they were on a TT bike with an aero helmet so I was pleased with that too. Not that they passed me but that they were the only one image

Obviously the hints and tips from you guys helped me out image

I know I'm hooked by the way, I ordered the book from Amazon as soon as I got home image
  • Cake - sorry to hear your race didn't go to plan. Thanks for coming and supporting on Saturday, was great to catch up with you and I really appreciated the support because I was very nervous.

Big Al - awesome result, very impressive quick time. Good luck for ironman image

• Ha ha, you as well Ironholgs?! The seed has been planted and is starting to grow!!! image

I really need to sort out my swimming if I'm gonna do that, I can't seem to breathe properly image which is just about manageable for a very short swim but not for an endurance swim.

By the way Cake, how was your journey home?
  • Thanks by the way Ironholgs image forgetting my manners, my Mum would be very disappointed!!
  • Anyone know if IMUK is in Bolton again next year and how often do they change venue?

What am I saying?! you buggers image
  • Ironholgs wrote (see)

Cake - sorry to hear your race didn't go to plan. Thanks for coming and supporting on Saturday, was great to catch up with you and I really appreciated the support because I was very nervous. image

At the end of the day I simply haven’t put the training in in resent months with family stuff on and a good book so wasn’t never going to shine. I just really hate cross winds through so it was a good excuse. image I did manager to get home ok through and anytime for the book stuff, it's what mates are for. Hopefully see you in bristol.
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Anyone know if IMUK is in Bolton again next year and how often do they change venue? What am I saying?! you buggers image
    there are a lot better IM's out there than that one matey. Stick around and you will be brainwashed into doing them. image
  • There is a reason why I ask, Bolton is right on my doorstep which means I can train on the actual course ( I already cycle around Rivington when I can) so if I'm gonna get roped into this at some point then I'd be a fool not to do it while it's so close to me.

Plus apart from the frighteningly expensive entry fee I wouldn't have any hotel, restaurant costs etc.

My my my, how the cogs are turning!!!
  • It would certainly appear that way! image
  • image Take a look around the tri thread on here and decide what you need. For a start you going to need a mentore (anyone got the thread link handy/) there are a few very good people near you. image
  • It's all down to the swim really and then support and advice in abundance!!! I prefer to run on my own because it's so difficult to find someone with the same pace, I'm used to cycling alone but get out with a buddy whenever I can, a partner on the bike is always welcome.

I live St Helens way and work in Leigh so if anyone wants to give me a few swimming pointers now and again who lives anywhere near then it would be greatly appreciated.
  • By the way, I work shifts on a rolling rota so I have different days off each week and quite a lot of my weekends are subsequently compromised.
  • image Don't worry son there are a few folks like that, Me for a start although I'm not that fast to start with trick is the train smart and fit the training around your life instead of the other way around.