Tapering with an injury

I've got the VLM in three weeks time, looking for around 3:15.

Up until recently my training had been going as planned and had got up to a couple of 20 milers in early March.

But, recent weeks I've been struggling with knee pain. I found once I started running it was manageable but my recovery was getting longer and I was getting to the point of only getting out twice a week.

I've since managed two half marathons (12th & 19th March) but at my club run following that, could only manage a couple of miles before I had to pull up.

I've not done any running for a week, and don't intend to do anything more until next weekend (so that'll be two weeks since my last proper run)

So, my question is, assuming my knee has recovered with the two week lay-off, what should I do training-wise in the next three weeks? I want to make sure it's strong enough to do 26 miles and I'm in good nick to do a decent time, but at the same time, I should be tapering and don't want to push it and do more damage. I feel I'm missing one more long run as my last 20+ miles was 6th March and I've only managed two halves since then.

Any comments/thoughts??

Comments

• Hi Big Bertie - I am in the same position but was hoping to do sub-4hr.  My last 20 miler was 3 weeks ago & therefore 5 weeks before Brighton.  I then started experiencing ITB probs so have cut right back -  did a half then a 5 then a complete rest over weekend. Then did a 6 & a 9 mid-week  & last weekend pulled up 9 miles into a 15 with knee probs.

Anyway, I think you have to decide if you just want to get round, as I am sure cutting right back will protect your injury but will have an effect on your race time or just pull-out & concentrate on a future event.  Everyone I've spoken to says don't play catch-up - the fact that you've got your long runs in should be enough to get round.

Have you been to a physio?  Is there an underlying problem?  I was intending to rest til the weekend but she says after a good massage & a knee support it should be ok so am goining out tomorrow for a slow 5.

Cheers

• This is  quite straightforward really.

Forget what your training plan says - it is now past the point of having any relevancy given your knee problems.

In your position, I would be looking to string together daily easy runs of between 6-10 miles. One of two things will happen:

1. You will feel yourself getting stronger and will feel ready to tackle your next long run on 17th April.

OR

2. Your knee will struggle to recover between runs. If this is the case, and bearing in mind that 6-10 mile easy runs are not particularly difficult to recover from, then it is time to withdraw and defer to next year.

• Would you go straight from doing nothing for two weeks, to running 6-10 daily?

What pace is easy?

My two 20+ milers were at around 07:20 pace and the halves were completed in 1:28. My Marathon target was 3:15.

• You did two 20 milers at MP?

In all honesty, you have your work cut out just to recover from those in time for Apr 17th, so the key now is to try to get the adaptation from those runs while still keeping the blood flowing around and the connective tissues supple.

Easy pace should be no faster than 8:30 and 9:00-9:30 would be perfectly okay - you are not trying to train as such so dont fall into the trap of thinking that 8:45 is better than 9:00 or that 9:00 is betterthan 9:15 - the key is to keep everything unstrained.

If you get through 7 consecutive days of easy running okay, it would then be wise to incorporate some strides at MP or  a little quicker into the runs just to stretch out the tendons around the knee and tease them into the range of movement they will be experiencing at VLM.

Be honest with yourself though, if the knee really is struggling, it just isnt worth it....

• Thanks, appreciate you advice.

The two 20 milers were at the beginning of March (Wednesday and Sunday - was that wise so close together!?!)

My knee was playing up before then, so my thinking was to do the 22 miles before the 20 mile race to make sure I could get round! Thinking about it now, it was probably foolish!

So I'll wait until the weekend (just to let the knee have a few extra days rest) then start with daily 6-10 miles at 8:30 pace for the next week, followed by a couple more sessions 5 days/one week before the 17th, where I'll push myself a bit more.  (perhaps only doing 5 miles?)

If I'm feeling ok after this, I'll go for my 3:15, otherwise I'll defer.

Does that sound reasonable?

• Something along those lines gives you your best chance of delivering on the day.

With a bit of luck you could hit the sweet spot, whereby you get the full adaptation from your big sessions at the same time as your knees have restrengthened fully....just in time for Apr 17th.