Options

London to Brighton ultra run

15678911»

Comments

• Options

Think my legs are just about back to normal!

Big well done to everyone who competed. Unfortunately my race didn't go very well. Got to the 20 mile CP in a little over 4 hours and felt good. I heard that CP 3 was a mere 8 miles away, music to my ears. But between CP 2 and 3 I seemed to spend more time being lost than knowing where I was. I struggled on to about mile 40 but the cut off time had well passed, and without a crew going on alone wasn't an option even if I wanted to.

Overall, I probably underestimated just how challenging cross country running and navigation is. But now that I have a better idea, I want to be back next year and finish this damn thing!

• Options

My legs are all but back together now & have been out for a couple of little runs this week. Manged to balls up on 1st leg & last & clocked up around 63...the last mile & a bit along the seafront from Ovingdean (?!?) was hard going thats for sure. Missed the cut by an hour plus due to my errors but still got my medal & tee shirt. Will def be back next year to make sure i get in on time...reckon if i hadn't got so royally lost i'd have managed around 12 hrs.

Thanks to Matt, Stuart (I think?) & his wife (name i can't remember...sorry) for keeping me company across the last quarter of the course on & off. Well done everyone who made it & attempted to make it...a brilliant, challenging event!

I missed the potatoes though!

Steve

• Options

Afternoon, anyone entered for this year yet?

• Options

Hi prep not entered yet but gav wants to do it again so I will be entering hopefully.

• Options

Great, that will give me the enthusiasm to get back into training. You doing any 100 milers this year?

• Options

Yeah prep 4 of them for the grandslam challenge are you facebook  ? We a page on there with training updates race blogs etc. Already do e the tp100 a d have sdw100 in 5 weeks.

• Options

Prep / Lingster, how you guys going ? Remember our recce runs in the past ? I've still only ever helped people recce up to Forest Row..

Will probably do same this year for any newbies, but I think you (Lingster) were going to email me the route from last year - never got round to it I guess.. Let me know if this could happen ?

Been trying to build back up after losing last 8 months with knee injury (MRI, physio, the works...) - all I can say is that it may looks like I have been bulking up over the winter !!

• Options

Hi Dougie, great to hear from you. I do remember your efforts to guide us as we often ran the wrong way. Glad to read you are in better shape now. Am up for a recce, although I understand there is a rumour that we will not get the route until the day! image

• Options

Hi Lingster, My cat is on Facebook, how will he find you?

• Options

Hey Prep,

Route available only on the day ?? That's kinda tough to work to.. How would anyone be able to plan their support crew or friends & family etc if you don't know where the CPs are ?

Hey ho, will await further info etc.. Keep me informed if you hear anything..

dg

• Options

Hi Dougie im in the process of movivi g at the mo (me and the wife have split up) so if you pm me your address I could photocopy lazt years map book or post it to you for you to scan as long az you could send it back to me. My computer and scanner is packed away so can't do it myself. Good to hear your back running I have the sdw100 in couple of weeks the second of four 100 miles racea that s year.

Prep you can find on face book just search "the grandslam challenge" or cut a d paste this link :- www.facebook.com/thegrandslamchallenge we are raising money for demelza children hospice

• Options

Lingster

Have sent PM with address etc..

dg

• Options

Hi all.  I've signed up for this years London 2 Brighton (my first proper ultra)  Some friends have given me last years maps but my map reading isn't great (they're not doing it this year so it looks like I'm on my own for this one!).  Does anyone have any tips on the best way to train as it's only 3 months away and I'm getting a bit nervous....

Jules

• Options

HI Julie, the best way is to get miles on your feet as it is a long way! I personally take no notice anymore of the marathon training schedules. There is the 50 mile challenge at this link which you could enter and see how far you can get: http://www.challengehub.co.uk/about-challenges/about-50-mile-challenge I did it last year as a warm up and you could drop out on any lap if you are at your limit. But it does give you a feel for the event's distance. The actual run in September is more terrain once you are out of the metropolis. image

• Options

Thanks Prep, I'll give it a look as it'll be good to see how I do image

• Options

Great, may see you there if my training goes to plan image

• Options

And if Dougie hosts a recce, that will be very useful as you will be on the terrain that you will run on the day. image

• Options

Lingster,

Did you get my PM with address to see last years maps ?

dg

• Options

Hi Prep, unfortunately I'm unable to do the 50 mile challenge as I'm in a team doing the 24hr Thunder Run that weekend image Anyone doing a recce would be really helpful though image

• Options

Hi dougie yes I did sorry for the delay. Me and the wife seperated so all been abit hectic as you  an imagine and I ran the sdw100 last weekend. I'll get the map book on the post this weekend for you dougie. If you scan it then just send me the book back.

Prep thankyou for the donation towards demelza very much appreciated.  We have a facbook page www.facebook.com/thegrandslamchallenge with race reports updates on training etc. If anyone else would like to spo sor us its www.justgiving.com/thegrandslamchallenge 

Julie I'll be doing reccie runs soon I have done this race twice now but its always good to meet new people and reccie the course. Dougie on here was good enough to show us the way the first year so we like to keep it up for new runners to the race. I'll let you know dates on here

• Options

Hi guys, i can scan the map. Dougie pm me your address. 

• Options

Prep, have sent you my address..

Lingster, hold on to the books for now..

dg

• Options

Have scanned the pages and printed off in A4, in the post today Dougie.