London to Brighton ultra run

Comments

• Thanks for that both of you - good to know image

• Lingster is an old hand at this now image

• I would love to buddy up with someone if anyone is interested? I'm planning on soon this run pretty slowly (10:30/10:45 miles). Does anyone feel they might be running that sort of speed? I've not been to any of the navigations sessions or checked out the route, due to lack of time.. I have, however, trained well with back to back long ones and I think I'll be ready for this.
  • Hi Ruth, I will be starting slowly and if the course hasn't changed too much should have a fair idea of the route. We did discover some tricky turns that could be missed.

• Prep school - buddying up sounds good to me! Where are you based?
  • Also.. I've not received any maps/info yet?
  • Lingered - I've just seen that you're guiding a mate in this. Any chance of me tagging along? I'm terrified of getting lost and would welcome running with someone who has run the course before.
  • Oops - I meant to write Lingster!
  • Hi ruth your more than welcome to tag along will be running at 10 to 10:30 min mile or there about we should recieve. Map books next week so I'm hoping to do a couple of reccies just to refresh the memory. I'll let ya know my race number when we receive them.
  • Thanks.. I was planning on being quite a bit slower.. Between 10:30-11 min mile.. Maybe I should find someone a bit slower :-S
  • Hello! I am entered and feel sort of ready! Did a navigation trinn run with he organisers. My runnin buddy just texted me to says his knee is fudged. Am wondering if here at any people out there who migh wanna run as a group? image) Lingster? Ruth?
  • Yes please! I'm going quite slowly (10:30-11:00/mile). Is that the sort of speed you were thinking?
  • Dropped off my entry today in person so I'm entered! Did a little 23mile and I'm loving Jam sarnies at the moment. Have a 5 mile race tomorrow and then will try and squeeze in a 8-10mile in the evening.

Just tring to decided on final kit choices now, whether to use my 2ltr bladder in my inov-8 pack or use two 500ml bottle and carry them. Then clothes, tights vs shorts and considering things like change of shoessocksshorts -shirts

Are there drop bags, or the ability to leavev things I won't need? I'm guessing not.

Is anyone staying in London the night before?

• Am not as fast as Lingster so 10:30 - 11 minute miles sounds like a plan. The longer the run goes on though, who knows! Am based in Greenwich, Are there any more reccies planned?

• Hi prep im going to gon as we get map books do the same as last year cp1 to cp3 good to hear your injury free and able to race this year. I will post on here when i do reccie image
  • Some more information has been post on the website. http://www.extremerunning.org/index.php?page=London%20to%20Brighton

I only entered yesterday so I'm not sure if this is what had been e-mailed already.

• Prep school - what's your email? I'll write to you properly. I'd love to run with you - safety in numbers!
  • Lingster, will log on more often now so that I don't miss your reccie.

• Prep school - I've just emailed you.
  • Hi,

I ran this race in 2010, I know the route is changing this year especially to CP1, but does anyone know how much of the route has changed beyond that?

I recce'd the 2010 course and it was invaluable on the day, doubt I will get to run any recce's this year so hoping the course hasn't changed that much!

Cheers

Gav

• Hi Gavin they've changed a bit of the middle section as well to my understanding by biggin hill sonewhere but as of yet no new map books so cant say how much has changed frim last year (last years was the sane 2010) we are suppose to get the maps this week so i'll compare it then. I'm hoping to do one reccie just to refresh the memory.
  • I am also eagerly awaiting the map books! Will compare when I get them.

Worryingly (whilst I have my Lakeland 100 and Ridgeway 85 race and training as a solid base) I haven't run a single step since the Ridgeway 85 which was on August the 26th due to picking up an injury post the finish.

So my only training session for L2B will be the High Peaks 40 next weekend! Now I have to worry about getting lost too

I remember the navigation being tricky in 2010 and I saw folks DNF due to getting lost that year so a new route and no recce is far from ideal!

Famous last words…. But I can't imagine they have changed that much of the original route…..

I did see the bit on their website re: running past a Spitfire and a Hurricane near Biggin Hill. Sounds like an improved route, especially as they have cut out that long dreary concrete section out at the start, but I am hoping the new start and the Biggin Hill tweak are the only amendments. The rest of the route was really pleasant and v. much looking forwards to doing this one again (even if the food at the checkpoints in 2010 was rubbish!)

• wow, books still not out..... not many weekends to go either for reccies..... image

• I know, tell me about it. I think it's really rubbish to charge such a high entry and not give us much support until the last minute. I really wanted to do some reccies, but now there's no time. They can't assume we're all free every weekend to do these runs... :-S
  • Just emailed them and got a respnse books were out, Mail has been rubbish of late due to Olympics down my neck of the woods.

• I am afraid to say this is a common trend with this race and the organisers. In 2010 First they sent me race details for a race that i had not entered. Then they sent me an email entitled Race Details or something to that effect.

Then when I opened the email it was blank image no details in the email and no attachment. I sent a mail back and never received a reply.

I received details in the end and a map book and on the day the race was organised, the staff very helpful and friendly so all was cool (with the exception of the checkpoint food which was totally rubbish!) but compared to other ultras this is generally badly organised and massively over priced!

The Ridgeway which I ran a few weeks back was 85 miles, much cheaper, better organised and the food totally awesome.

All that being said this is a great race and I can't wait to run it again. Just wish it wasn't so massively over priced and a little better organised.....
  • I'm doing this with a buddy from work as our first Ultra. He's an Ironman Triathlete and I've clocked up 8 marathons (four this year) so hopefully these pedigrees should make us contenders. I've run a 31 mile training run which wasn't too bad (4:47) but frankly I couldn't imagine adding another marathon on to that!

To be honest I like the idea of not getting the map books until quite late on ... living in Telford we weren't going to get the opportunity to do any recce runs, so I'm hoping that the navigation on the day combined with the fact that it's a route we have never run will act as a bit of a distraction to the pain and effort that's going to have to be put in.

I have no idea what sort of time I might achieve ... secretly hoping for around 10 hours but will happily settle for 12:59:59!  We've got support crew cars at the checkpoints and I'm running with a Raidlight 10L pack and 2x 500ml bottles. We're both ex-forces so I'm hoping the nav won't be a problem (couldn't bear the idea of adding any unnecessary miles to this!). I'm staying in London the night before (Greenwich Travelodge) so won't have far to go in the morning ... looking forward to meeting everyone for the start.

One question for the veterans:  will it be dark at the start and if so is there a requirement for a head torch for the first section?

Cheers  Rich.

• What're the longest training runs you guys have done? I haven't yet done a 30 mile run, but planning this for Saturday and hoping it gives me enough time to recover and taper before the race.