Options

Cycle Marathon in London

It looks like Boris Johnson wants to have a 'cycle marathon' event in London based on the London marathon with 30,000 cyclists, an elite event, etc.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23938502-boris-johnson-wants-to-host-cycling-marathon.do

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    seems like a recipe for chaos if you ask me......

30000 riders going hell for leather around the crappy potholed streets of London?? A&E units would be well used I reckon......

seems like a lack of joined up thinking going on here
  • Options
    I'm happy as long as they keep off the fecking pavements. Some hope though... cyclists in London... I'd better not get started on this one...
  • Options
    FB that was my first reaction too. I guess the mass event would have to be more like the London to Brighton ride i.e. non competitive.
  • Options
    I agree K but you tell the guys at the front it's non-competitive! L2B always has it's share of riders who set off early to avoid the crowds so they can set a good time but that's on relatively rural roads by the time they get out of London - but in London with narrow roads, obstacles and road furniture, potholes etc??

a mass event "might" work if they could persuade the club riders to stay away from any racing but I can't see that somehow
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I would not want to cycle with 29,999 other cyclists - the idea scares me. Too dangerous. I shall be elsewhere on that day.

As you say - FB, keep all the club riders away - if it became a family event with then it may work - frequent stops and speed limits - more like a festival parade than a race.

I notice Boris is riding one of those Bank bikes - I must remember to complain to said bank as they don't seem to encourage safe riding - I was nearly run down by one out side Buck Palace - stupid place to be cycling on the pavement with hundreds of tourists. Esp when other cyclists were happy using the roads.

Nope - 30,000 cyclist like that are a hazard to them selves and the risk they pose to the rest of us is too great to be worth it.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It does sound unpromising.  Look at how crowded the back half of the London Marathon course gets, with people stopping suddenly, changing direction without looking, etc.

Add swerving bikes into that and it seems positively hazardous.  Plus no doubt some people will want to do it in costumes!  Centripede becomes snake?

I expect someone will do a risk assessment, at which point the idea will be dropped.  Unless they're going to mend all the roads in time for the Olympics?

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    What about when you get 50  of them roped together going for a world record? Doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Options

Jesus Christ! image Only bloody Boris would come up with a crazy idea.

Just cannot see this happening. Having 30,000+runners through London is acceptable.
    But 30,000 with bikes is a logistical nightmare. What's next, a walking marathon.

• Options
    Nice idea but complete nightmare for so many riders on out roads.  It's another Boris brain-fart unfortunately.
  • Options

I guess  they figure if they can make it work for the SkyRide....

Not that the SkyRide looks remotely fun for anyone passable on a bike though. 

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

There are very big sportives on the continent - maybe not on this scale but the Marmotte and etape have about 7,000 - and all of them will be racing not just tootling round for a day out - the Marmotte is on open roads too.   I think so long as they staggered the start - maybe groups of 500 with some kind of seeding so you are riding with people of comparable ability - then it could be made to work...maybe.  

The key thing is nobody is being forced to ride it so if you find it too dangerous you simply don't do it - the same reason I don't take up rock climbing or join the army. 

It says something about the South African Argus ride - anyone know anything about that ?

• Options
    Two words - Fecking carnage
  • Options
    What FF said.  First thing I did was check the date of the article in case it was written on the 1st.
  • Options

Wondering did anyone attend any of the Sky rides in London..numbers must have been around the same, average speed 2 mph.

• Options
    Was just looking for the numbers on that FF. One report said 85000(!) but difference between a race and a sky ride.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/05/article-0-0B0C5E76000005DC-670_306x472.jpg

• Options

Really...85000!! no way......

PS nice bike your riding there...image

• Options
    Street racing biking - Oooh carnage...might have to be there image
  • Options
    or - you might get some effing eejut in a car who thinks his day is being obstructed by a pile of cyclists as happened in Brazil recently on a Critical Mass ride....