Options

Disney 2012

So who's running a Disney event in 2012?

After having done Goofy in 2010, and failing to complete Goofy in 2011 (I got through the half, but in lots of pain), this year hubby and I signed up for the new Chip 'n' Dale Marathon Relay.

I must have the shiny new medal! (I know, there is something wrong with me).

Comments

• Options
    I did the marathon in 2010 and very tempted to do the half in 2012. I shouldn't look at this thread as I know it will be too tempting and I'll end up entering... Can't remember when the half normally gets filled up (I guess it may have done already, which solves that dilemma!).
  • Options
    I know what you mean about temptation. I had no intention at all of entering any event this time, but then they had to introduce a new medal with new characters...
  • Options
    Just checked - there are still places for the half. Oh oh...
  • Options

It is addictive.

I'm just hoping that this year (unlike the last two), there won't be snow to distrupt flights there.

• Options
    Disney have just annouced a new half marathon in California,  it's tinkerbell themed and women oriented, although men can run, they can't win prizes (except the co-ed team). Not sure if this race was worth the hype. Glad I'm doing the chip and dale, it should be a better half marathon medal than tinkerbell!
  • Options

I'm doing the Goofy with Mr CS... *gulp*  Figure we're only going to do it the once so we may as well get maximum medallage.  We signed up at the weekend... that is going to hurt when the credit card bill comes in. image

• Options

Goofy is now 50% full.

Caz, I did the same first time, I wanted all the medals I could conceivably get (at the point of registration I had completed 2 halfs and one marathon in the past).

Now they've got a new medal (chip 'n' dale) I've got to have that too!

Have you sorted out your accomodation yet, or leaving the credit card time to recover first image

• Options

Did the Goofy last year.

I told the family that it was a once in a lifetime trip but I had such a great time over the race weekend (watched my kids do their own little Goofy of 5k Fun Run and Mickey Mile in one day!) that I have to do it again!

So, I've registered for the 2012 Goofy - and the family are devasted they have to come with me - NOT! image

Hope to see you all there!image

• Options
    I Seen the medals at the London expo.....I dont want one........I NEED ONE! think I need to have a google todayimage
  • Options
    Mark - go for it - it is honestly the best race weekend EVER!image
  • Options

I REALLY want to do it! But I heard the half marathon medal was Donald Duck?? This is of vital importance in my decision to enter, I want a DD medal!

Disney also do the Disney Princess half marathon ...

• Options

Madaussie, we're waiting to see if friends are coming with us before we book anything else.  If friends come then its cheaper to get a vila & split the cost but if it's just me & Mr CS then we're looking at booking a Disney hotel.  May as well scare the bejeezus out of the credit card image

A couple of friends have seen the medals at the Paris & London Expo and reported back that they are indeed fan-dab-ulous. 

• Options
    xine267, you've heard right... the half is a Donald Duck medal, the marathon is a Mickey Mouse one and if you do both races in the time limit then you get a Goofy medal too.
  • Options
    Xine267 - the 2012 half marathon is a SPECIAL Donald Duck medal as it is an anniversary medal!
  • Options

Xinw267 This year there's also the marathon relay, of which unfortunately the medal was not at LM expo, which is chip 'n' dale.

Nervous Novice, disney races are addictive, sorry you've been caught up in the disney drug.

Mark, try hard to resist, as you may notice, you can't do it once.

Caz, yeah, the credit cards are sorely tested by Disney Hotels, but sadly hooked on those as well. I prefer the epcot area hotels because you can walk to both Epcot and Disney Studios parks.

• Options

madaussie - well and truly caught up!

8 months to go and I'm excited already! More so than my kids!

Unfortunately hubby has a rather tainted view of the Disney marathon due to the pain he suffered during the Goofy last year....image

But I'll work on him........image

• Options

Nervous Novice - a SPECIAL Donald Duck medal?? Sign me up!

Caz - I don't think I could cope with the Goofy challenge in 2012 (doing the Brighton Marathon in April) but its one for future reference, ESPECIALLY if you get 3 medals.

madaussie - I have the "Ch-ch-ch-Chip n' Dale - Rescue Rangers!" song stuck in my head now image

• Options

NN, your husband has my sympathy.

I failed to complete last years goofy due to IT band pain (never previously expericence) during the half marathon component of the race.

Couldn't even walk the next day, let alone run a marathon.

I didn't plan on running this year at all, but then...they introduce the new relay with the new medal **sigh**

I have the other three from Goofy 2010.

• Options

Well done for 2010! It was freezing, wasn't it??? It is hard enough without the snow but with snow.....

I know what you mean about the medal collection......

• Options

xine, sorry about the tune, but not my fault, really...

NN, yes it was well below 0 deg celcius! I didn't take sufficient winter kit, and ended up wearing many layers.

The first day was raining/sleeting/raining. The second day was dry but I didn't warm up throughout the entire marathon! and I'm normally a toastie runner after 3 minutes! The water had a layer of ic, the powerade was slushy, and the ground was covered in ice. Flroida doesn't have a stock of grit salt so they were forced to use sand!

• Options

Lalala can't hear you talking about freezing conditions in Florida... *runs around with hands over ears*

How exactly do you cope with the god awful early start & layering???   I'm sure I've seen somewhere that they'll pull you off the course if your number isn't visible but if its really cold then I've started a race before now with an extra fleece on and dumped it once I've defrosted a bit so my number hasn't initially been visible as its been on the layer underneath... I don't want to be pulled off the course... *sob*

• Options

It wasn't an issue. They checked (some) race number to get into pens, but there was no way they were going to pull runner for trying to keep warm.

It was EXCEPTIONAL weather for Florida, you have to remember that. If I had taken the kit I trained in in the UK I would have been fine, but I had summer kit!

• Options

I am seriously looking forward to this, I already have the training plan stuck to my fridge... my thinking is to do half the distance on Saturdays of whatever I'm doing on Sundays except for maybe the 20s and 22s in which case I think I've got either a short run or a rest day on the Saturday.  Does that sound about right?? 

I'll take an assortment of kit with me just to be on the safe side, in fact I think most of the stuff in our cases will be running kit... We've been to Florida in April before now and although it was lovely during the day it turned a bit chilly in the evening so I could've done with a fleece or jacket... which I hadn't thought to pack...I'll make sure I've got all my bases covered this time.

• Options

Training for Goofy is awkward. I opted simply to train for a standard marathon, as I wasn't going for a time, just looking to finish comfortably before the sweepers.

Fleece/jumper is essential image

• Options
    I would so love to, but can't afford a week out there with all the family. Damn !
  • Options

CazSoul - I worried about the early starts too. But I was so shattered from not sleeping before I went out there because I was so excited image and from doing everything Disney that I could possibly cram into one day when I was out there that I was actually grateful to fall into bed at 7pm the nights before! And it is comforting that there are 18,000 other people doing it with you.

They entertain you at the start line too to try and make you forget how early it is!

I also had the same concerns about layering - but I opted for using a walk break to unpin my number from my long-sleeved top and re-pin it on my vest. In 2011 it was very cold at 5am on the start line, but it warmed up a bit.

As for training - I had the same idea as you - to do 2 consecutive runs, the first being half the distance of the second. Unfortunately injury and deep snow scuppered that a little........image

Bob - know what you mean - the flights are the killer.

• Options
    I cant wait, going to be great, hard work though doing the goofyimage
  • Options

Bob - leave the family behind image

For the early starts, my husband and I opted for the runners retreat. I meant you could sit down while waiting to go to the start, and shorter queus for toilets.

Tip: if you want to wait for the real toilets (as opposed to portaloos) in the parks on course, don't go to the first two in the park, wait until you get to the third fourth etc toilet, then you probably won't have to queue for the toilets at all.

Obviously get to know where the toilets are on the course route in advance, so you know how many toilets there are.

My husband did goofy last year as his first ever marathon, AND he had food poisoning, so he ended up walking the last half of the marathon, but he got all his medals!

• Options

Madaussie - The thought had crossed my mind ! I think I would be dis-owned. But I have sewn the seeds for this week, so who knows, maybe in the future we might be better prepared financially ! As long as they have stuff to do they won't mind, as they are not at all interested in the running.

Unless anyone could smuggle me in their suitcase .... would have to be a large one though 1

• Options
    Odd question: Does anyone know if you can buy a pay-as-you go phone at Orlando airport?