Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Woke up this morning to realise I missed out on London place by 13 seconds and not 1:13. Stupid toilet break/one too many walking breaks. So annoyed with myself, but it's just so hard after 20 miles to do mental arithmetic and push yourself. I just thought sod it, I'm going to get there and I'll still have a PB and I stopped looking at my watch.

I also had water pouch issues. I didn't have one explode, but I couldn't get water out of some of them. I don't know if I'd just lost the fine motor control to be able to do it, or if they were actually broken, but it threw off my gel schedule and I got really thirsty at one point. Also, if I hadn't been wearing gloves I think the plastic seams would have hurt my hands. That being said, they were so light, which was a really welcome break compared to the Powerade, which felt like a brick, even though it tasted so good I wanted to hold onto it for dear life!

Next race is Frankfurt, which I hear is very flat, so hopefully I'll get my 3:45 by then. I'd say that even with the hills and wind potential, Brighton is a good course for a PB if you've made significant improvements because of the lower number of competitors, good support and good provisions (gels/shot blocks/sport drinks, etc.). I think it's really hard to PB in really big races, even if the course is flat.
  • Options
    Brighton 2010 was my first ever long race (no 5K, 10K, half etc.). It was a great experience and after a year off I decided to sign up for the 2012. Great choice!

Brighton really adopted this event as its own. Atmosphere is great and support you get along the way is amazing, and most importantly authentic. I wondered if I will hear Queen blasting out of a pub again and sure there it was. The whole run becomes assembly of great moments from supporters and fellow sufferers. I did the "slow loop" again, yet this time was able to use the fantastic vibe to speed up last 3 miles and finish in 4:53 (in 2010 5:13). I actually followed my tactic set before the race. I hanged out with 4:45 pacer until mile 16, then followed my pace through Road to Plant of Hell. Once I reached mile 23 marker I got the second wind and try to chase that pacer.

My fun moment of the race was with the water pouch. I got the first one, squeezed hard and precisely directed water stream went directly to my loungs. I started coughing due to my self-inflicted drowning and several runners asked me if I need help. I couldn't talk amidst cough attacks and just nodded with embarrassment.

After 800m sign I was joined by my 6 and 9 year olds running by my side. They of course started sprinting, so I had to keep up image Another testament to the organizers they didn't flinch and cheered my kids all the way to the finish.

Now I am after 4:30 at Loch Ness Marathon Sep 30th and will try to catch up with sub4 club by 2013 Brighton marathon! Although by that time it will be 3:30 club for sure.
  • Options
    Gotta say those water pouches were awfull. It was like holding an excited puppy. Didn`t know when it was going off or where it was going.
  • Options

Well folks, feeling a bit sad this morning maybe because I have had such an amazing weekend.

As ever the people of Brighton did us proud, and they must have been pretty cold at times too. I just cant get over the level of support for all of us and the fact that people come out on a chilly Sunday morning to cheer us on. I thought the race was well organised, I personally loved the water pouches and there were lots and lots of shot bloks on offer unlike last year. However I think I may have finished on some sort of weird sugar overload.

The camaraderie during the race was fantastic, there was always someone to encourage you and I loved every moment.

I am so grateful for all the help, support, tips and updates from all the forumites this year, its been fantastic and was lovely to meet some of you on Saturday. To all you you a massive well done and a massive thank you as well. Too many wonderful stories to comment on individually but it does look like everyone achieved what they worked so hard for.

Good luck to everyone running London next week and also Milton Keynes at the end of the month.

Still dont think I will run this race next year although I'm not sure I like the idea of missing it either - but there are lots of other races I want to try and I cant enter them all. However I have definitely got the bug now! I am sure a 3.45 is in me somewhere. Toby its great that your family are joining you next year, good luck to them

I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips towards my ultra marathon which is 8 weeks away now. I know its only 33 miles but I confess at 22 miles yesterday I did seriously wonder if I coud get much further than 26. I like and need the structure of a plan even if I do follow it loosely. I was thinking maybe stick with what I have been doing and just upping the distances slightly with a 28 and a 30 in there as the longest runs, all preceeded by a week off.

Charlotte Davey and Spence I know this is your territory and probably others too so would be very interested to know what you are planning to do although Charlotte you have to get London out of the way first and Spence your challenge is far bigger than mine.

Take a well earned rest people, I bet our paths cross again somewhere though. Anyone running London next week, l will see you at Westminster Bridge!

• Options

Some absolutely superb achievements out there yesterday. Great stuff!

I came home in 3:45:14, a pb by over 10 minutes, so I was well chuffed. Paced it perfectly (1st half 1:52:01, 2nd half 1:53:13), and felt stronger as the race went on. The power station is still an arse though. As we came back onto the main road after the promenade, I had enough in the tank to attack the last mile and a bit, helped in no small part by the fantastic crowds. Last mile clocked 6:57. God knows where that came from!

This race is a real credit to Brighton. Well organised, good course (both physically and mentally challenging in points, but hey, its a marathon - its not supposed to be easy!), and the crowds that turn out to support the runners are amazing. I saw Fatboy Slim and Zoe Ball and they were incredibly vocal too.

I'll be back next year... to support!!

Well done everybody! 

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    a great race and the i also found the support fantastic. Those hills where a surprise as was the wind,had to tuck in behind some people on occasions. Ran 3.20 which considering my torn calf before the race and my physio's advice not to run i was well chuffed at that, only 7 minutes from a PB.

Only one gripe was the starting pens, i had put 3.15 as a finish time and had a blue number which when the 4 hour pacing guys came and stood near me i asked where the 3.15 guys where and they said they where up in red. Did anyone else have strange starting positions as this deffo lost me time trying to weave to get position in the first five miles. I eventually caught up the 3.15 guys but deffo lost energy trying to weave and dodge runners for those early miles.
  • Options

An excellent round up Juggler...

Well done everyone.

A quick Post from me from phone yesterday...so here is my race report.

Race report:

Up at 5:30. I drove to brighton. Parked at dads. He was annoying so walked to start. Was there for 8am which meant I had plenty of time to get cold, and go wee about 5 times !! Was cold in just a t-shirt, really should have taken an old Jumper. Oh well...Pre race food was porridge with raisins, banana, Flapjack and a couple of shot blocks. drunk a bottle of Powerade 30 seconds before the buzzer went. I was in red corral and about 100metres from the start.

The gun (horn) went off. first lap is around the park and plenty of support. Looked at watch and 8:15 pace. Thought ok - that feels easy but probably the adrenaline.....but lets not get carried away and must slow down. Looked at again at mile 3, average pace 8:08. Ooops, must slow down !! Ran out towards Roedean ( mile 7) and saw my family on side of road just as the elite guys were running opposite direction. Boy are they fast. Everyone around me clapped. A nice touch.

Lovely blue skies, still cold and a cross wind at times. To be honest pretty perfect conditions.

At 10 Miles saw Family again as I can back, A nice boost. Looked at watch. Average speed 8:02....ahh - oh well best go with the flow.

I ensured that I took water at every station. The water was a little fiddly in pouches that did not always work properly. However as there were stations every few miles with water or powerade this worked well.Very please overall on this side of things.At 12 miles I was getting a little grumble by left knee and left groin was feeling tender/heavy from the davina video I did week before. darn....told myself to ignore them. Passed half way in what is faster than official HM time that is a year old. 1:46.

Kept up the pace and found I was passing a few. A few turn around points showed I was only a minute or two behind 3:30 group. Still felt good except left leg, which only really grumbled without hurting.Felt good though to 20 miles.

Realised that I only had an hour or less to go. Knew I was going to smash 4hrs...Yippeee. This kept my spirits up in the quieter part of the course. Whenever I felt tired or people around me were stopping I just said to myself " I did not train 650+ miles just to stop now". Left leg now grumbling more. Focused all efforts on running naturally and not limping. Seemed to work. left leg listened to me.

Started to slow from about 23...but not a great deal, knew i could make it to the end if I just watched the floor and focused. Eg next 30 yards. Great support all along the seafront really helped.

Once I was at the pier I knew that was it !! Saw my wife....Big lift. started shouted and raving my arms and the crowd around me roared with approval. I ran most the last 250 yards waving my arms around and shouting to make the crowd cheer...brilliant an spine tingling. I must be a showman...or an idiot.....( or more likely Both )

Splits are 8:17 8:04 8:02 8:06 8:13 8:08 8:12 8:00 7:56 8:00 7:54 8:04 7:49 7:49 8:04 8:01 7:55 8:05 7:54 8:00 8:10 8:11 8:23 8:22 8:48 8:54 (7:43)

So a slight fade at the end...bit I will take that !!!

Course showed 26:42 on my garmin which reflects some of the side to side running i think I did.....oooops.

Chuffed !!! 3:34:41. A 35 Minute PB

Left leg is now very very stiff !! .....but I do not care !!!

• Options
    Hi all.. congratulations to everyone running yesterday and massive thanks to everyone supporting!

I was one of the sub-4 pacers.. Someone commented a few pages back that the lady sub-4 pacer went off far too fast and that's absolutely true. Brian (the other sub-4) and I stayed at around 9 min miles throughout the whole race and tried to be as consistent as possible and we both finished in around 3:57. I found it quite difficult at times to keep the pace down, particularly when going through the noiser and well supported areas, as the natural instinct there is to speed up.

I really enjoyed my first experience as a pacer and it was brilliant (but a bit scary) at times to look over my shoulder and see the huge group following me. Some people came and went but I hope I was able to help some of you to your goals.

KAREN IVES - which ultra are you doing? A bit of rest and some more long runs and you'll be in perfect shape for that. As for managing the distance, just take it easier. An ultra is a different game entirely to a marathon. For most of us, it's about completing it rather than a particular time, and if it's a hilly course you can let the terrain govern your pace (e.g. walk up the steep bits). Good luck.
  • Options

Well done everyone - I handed out one of the first medals and what I hoped were the last (unless someone is still going) and enjoyed meeting everyone in between.

Having run last year I didn't want to miss out on the atmosphere so volunteered instead, really recommend it, seeing people's emotions as they cross the line is amazing.

Feeling inspired and energised for London on Sunday! Bring it on! Will be asking all the medal givers for hugs like so many of you did!

• Options
    Karen - as emdee says you will run your ultra at a different pace. I know ,and I am sure that others are the same, that when I run a 10k I wonder how I do a half marathon and when I run a half I can't imagine how I do a full marathon, but I do. It's all to do with pace and mindset.
    Though saying that,I did question myself at mile 23 yesterday about my ability to do 40 miles, but just reminded myself that it would be completely different; as for the 3 day ultra I have signed up for in November - well....
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Brighton produce a detailed results list, by age groups etc etc in excel?
  • Options
    TridiverTridiver ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know, still nothing on the Sports Systems site, 9000+ times must take a lot of sorting out.
  • Options

Thank you emdee and Charlotte for that, I'm just going to change my mindset and get a couple of long runs in next month, this ones about finishing within the timescale only for me. Fantastic time yestarday mate, very well done, you can just enjoy London now and soak up the atmosphere, I will look out for you.

Emdee I love, let the terrain dictate the pace, will definitely do that as its Dartmoor Discovery

• Options
    outstanding efforts by everyone and some massive pb's as just reward. all the positive comments have strengthened my determination to run next year.
    see you all on the 2013 thread!
  • Options

Out of interest, what was everybodys "refuelling, rehydration and recovery" strategy??

Personally, mine went:
    Chicken Madras with Pilau, Keema Naan, Onion Bhajis, Sag Aloo and a couple of beers.

Curry and beer have never tasted so good! image

• Options
    TridiverTridiver ✭✭✭

Gazza mine was this:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/521901_10150655523421296_683956295_9782417_1142245556_n.jpg

Though I did refuel properly yesterday, protein shakes, water, crisps for the salt, and pizza.
  • Options

Two recovery shakes and a bottle of powerade immediately afterwards.

Burger King Bacon double cheesebuger plus an extra double cheesebuger for lunch, a cup of tea, then a couple of pints of lager followed by a chicken vindaloo, pilau rice, keema naan and brinjal bhajee and a bottle of merlot for dinner.

Two bacon and egg sarnies for brekkie.

Recovery isn't working though because I still can't walk down stairs normally...image

• Options
    Emdee, I'd noted one 4:00 pacer was rather fast, the other held an almost perfect 8:59. That may have been you then? I'd nev stuck with a pacer before, but heavily depended on you for the final 2/3 miles.

I found the last stretch gruelling, and lost all hope when pacers past me, thought I'd missed all hop of hitting the sub 4. But then realised my GARMIN said different.

I had one or two less good water pouches, but on the whole they was good. Powerade bottles too big.

Oddly, I rather enjoyed the power station part, I thought it was good to be in places you wouldn't normally get access.

Has everybody seen the Argus marathon special today? It presented the marathon really well.

It's strange, almost like a void in life just 24 hours on. It's definitely going to be my challenge this week boong and autumn marathon.

I'm keen to reserve a place in Brighton next year, If anybody can advise how?

I've loved the highs and lows of this forum, thank you all for your coaching & support. What a wonderful wonderful day.

Bloody well done to everybody for an amazing performance, and boy, what a lot of PBs!

• Options
    My day ended in disaster. Well not disaster but massive disappointment.
    Started getting cramp in left calf at 5 miles, right calf at 12. Hit my target pace of stalking the 4hr pacer upto around 17 miles.
    Met Toby. All good to here.
    Then cramp meant 400 metres hobble then stretch and repeat for 2 miles. Then the cramp poleaxed me. 3 massage sessions in the st johns. 4 mile walk to loosen up peaking at a 11.5 min mile walk at 23 miles. Plucked up enough power to run again staving off cramp - just - and busted out the last 2 miles in 17 mins, I had to beat noddy.
    And there concludes my marathon career. I can't deal with the disappointment again. Cramp? I never get cramp.
    Thanks for the entertainment, best wishes and well done all, especially anyone who hit the 3:59 massively jealous.
  • Options
    Danny H

Enter another one and try again. I had a good one yesterday but have had plenty of bad.
  • Options
    Danny H you have got to try again otherwise this will haunt you forever. We have all had crappy disatrous runs its just rotten bad luck as to what day it hits you.
  • Options

Top tip from a marathoner friend - walk down the stairs backwards!  I am so so sore and it makes a massive difference - just watch that you don't trip down!!

• Options

that was my first marathon , we did load training inc 21 mile run and the worthing 20 in 2 :42 mins so was well geared up for this race

and wow what a amazing day from many drink/powerade stations to the jelly cubes to the gel bars , didnt need for anything on course and the vaseline people as well

atmosphere all round course every step of way was amazing and all round just a day to cherish and remember

me and me running buddy fin 2180 i think in time of just 3 hrs 48 mins 45 seconds , which very pleased about , felt really sore after walking down steps took me ages while others were ok and could not sit on train easily but legs were fine last night and deffo today , will be doing brighton next year and hopefully budapest later on , briliiant thank you brighton image

• Options

Danny H,

I really feel for you. We all have those occasional days where for some reason our body doesn't want to run. Sounds like you were unlucky enough to have that on race day. I agree with Karen and Peter though, try again and you'll crack it. It'll make completing the second marathon all the sweeter!

And think, being over taken by Noddy at the end isn't that bad. A friend of mine was coming into the home straight in the Reading Half Marathon and the crowd went wild, she was delighted, then she was over taken by a man dressed as a giant pair of testicles! She realised they were cheering him on not her! Totally stole her thunder!

• Options
    Ah Ha, the re-emergence of Testicle Man!!
    Danny H- Don't feel defeated, it was just wasn't your day but you did really well to crack on.
  • Options
    Post race refueling was a chocolate For Goodness Shakes, followed by a large glass of red, chips and onion rings in a nearby pub, a quarter pounder with cheese on the way to the hotel, another large glass of red in the bath, a pizza, crispy creme donut, chocolates washed down with a bottle of red. I don't usually eat McDonalds, but boy did it taste good! I'm feeling a bit stiff, but not as sore as I thought I would be. However, will give it a week until I run again - am looking forward to running for enjoyment, rather than following a training schedule (that restarts in July in time for Abingdon). I didn't like the water pouches - the first one went down the wrong way, so spent a few minutes having a coughing fit. The second one squirted in my eye - spent the next few minutes running with one eye closed as I didn't want to lose my contact lens. I suppose the only positive thing about them was that they prevented me from taking on board too much liquid - and they were light to carry.
  • Options
    A brilliant race super weather and great support,a touch sore on the legs today and stairs are a little slow but would not of changed it at all. Managed a personal best by 31 minutes and chip time of 3:51 very chuffed!

Next year can we please have more robust race numbers as I had to re pin the number due to several tears whilst running along, as well as mile markers that are facing the correct way as I seemed to miss mile 21 and 23.... but still covered more than the 26.2 more like 26.39 mile according to my garmin.
  • Options

Wow. First post on here but have been reading for ages and it’s so inspiring reading people’s stories and times so thought I would pop in and say hello. 

Yesterday was my second marathon (ran Brighton last year in 04:29:26) and my training had been going really well so my target time kept reducing from 04:20 to 04:15 to 04:10 – then when I was doing my final long runs I had the realisation that if everything went to plan on the day (perfect weather, no niggles etc ) then I could be on course for a sub 04:00 time – this was beyond my wildest dreams as I’d only started running 2 ½ years ago. 

As everyone has said I think the organisation at the start and throughout is fantastic (personally I loved the water pouches, I find running with a bottle quite cumbersome) and the support on the street is so uplifting and motivating.  I started off really well and absolutely loved the first 15 miles, between miles 16 – 18, I felt a bit sick. Bizarrely I felt sick at the same distance last year and I’ve put it down to too much of the Powerade/blocks that they give out – I only train with water, Lucozade powder and a few Lucozade sweets and I think the Powerade and blocks are too much for me. Fortunately once I stayed off the Powerade and blocks, the sickness passed and although the last 6 miles were tough, they were bearable and the support on the home straight is really quite emotional. From about mile 22, I thought I’d missed the sub 04:00 time but wasn’t overly bothered as it would be one for next year – however reaching mile 25, I realised that I might still sneak under it, so somehow (still don’t know how!) I picked up my pace and managed to sprint the last 400 metres, coming in with an official time of 03:59:46 – so unbelievably chuffed.  

My husband also ran it for his second marathon (he ran London last year in 03:52:11 but didn’t particularly enjoy it as he felt the course was too busy and he never really felt he got into his stride) and was hoping for 03:30 and came away with 03:25:33 so it was a great day all round. 

Well done to everyone else on here, there are some really inspiration stories and times. We signed up for 2013 at the Brighton Centre on Saturday and also doing the Beachy Head Off Road Marathon in October – I’m hoping that after running 26 miles on the very hilly South Downs is going to make next year’s Brighton Marathon ‘easy’ (relatively speaking!) in comparison.

• Options

Post race refuelling was the dried fruit and pistacios from the goody bag plus 2 bananas all supped down with Lucozade Sport. Then it was the sandwiches and hot cross buns that the family had brought along, as well as some chocolate fudge pieces. In the evening it was beef curry and chips washed down with half a bottle of Merlot, the other half being consumed in a very hot and relaxing Radox bath. Mobility is ok so far today as long as I don't sit still for too long.

I would happily and proudly call myself a marathoner, however, even after such a fantastic day and the great sense of achievement why is my mind and body not shouting " I wanna do this again"?? I don't feel 'flat' at all, there is just no inclination to go through all that training over again, all the slight injury niggles, all the time away from the family. These all sound like excuses. Maybe i'll feel different in a few days, or even after my 'warm down' jog and stretch tomorrow morning but at the moment I am feeling like a marathoner and ex-marathoner all at once - it's strange! Maybe i'm just more of a half-marathoner.

That said - if my day/time had not gone to plan and i'd missed my intended target then i'd have to try again, so Danny H even though you did great yesterday i'd say go for it and sign up for another, have a better run next time and banish the disappointment of an off day.