Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Has it been started? I searched, no joy?
  • GCE wrote (see)
    Stig, is beachy head Marathon not very hilly??

It's all hills! Here's the profile from my garmin from last year. 4900 ft of ascent (and descent). Some of the hills you have to crawl up and are too steep to get a good pace going down! Great marathon course though. Only done it once so it could be a nightmare in poor weather conditions!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/438153/Gallery/Beachy_Head_Profile.JPG

• Lombster, sadist in me is drawn to the beachy head based on your profile, definitely not a PB course huh!

• just checking in to read some of the reports and to say

I'VE SIGNED UP TO BRIGHTON 2013 i've decided after spectating for the last 2 years its time to join u lot and give it a go ( even tho i've got to run VLM on sunday first hahaha )

so see u all in the 2013 thread i'm off to find it now
  • Hannah if you can't find it link above should take you there
  • yep found it, see u on the other side lol
  • GCE - Beachy Head is definitely not a PB course! The organisers say to take about 45 mins off your road marathon time. The winners (quite often the same guy each year!) usually come in around the 3 hour mark, I think only a few have been under 3. This is probably the best site to check it out! http://www.robin-web.co.uk/beachyhead/ (check out the hill at the start!). It's pretty much 6 months from now so definitely a good idea if you're training all year.
  • Cheers Toby-moving over to 2013. Hope to see more of you over there soon. To all those who did Brighton this year but are heading for other races next year, good luck and good running.
  • Moving over to 2013, convinced my oh to do it again next year although I have had to agree to sleep in the spare room when I have to get up at 5am to fit in runs. Had karate last night and tonight which I found really tough on the quads but beginning to ease off now. Will join you all on 2013 thread
  • Finally back in front of a pc. Some great times and congrats to everyone. I did 3h55 which for my first marathon I was well pleased with, the target was sub 4hr. No cramping or hitting the wall so all the training/luck paid off.

The crowd were fantastic, I've never run such a massively supported race before and coming through mile 13 was amazing, just a huge number of people cheering and somehow managed to spot my own little fan club. And then the final few miles along the sea front were unbelievable, I just tried to soak up as much of the atmosphere as possible.

A great day and one of lifes highlights for me.

Keep on running image

• Brilliant stuff still being posted. Was an excellent day.

Agree with the statements about how well it was all organised. will make sure that the organising team are aware.

Not going to sign up for 2013, in fairness to OH and cos I'm hoping to do a PGCE next year -can't afford to be falling asleep over my planning! But have next race booked for 2.5 weeks time. Will be the 3 Forts, all going well. Half-mara if not fully recovered, full marathan if fully recovered and confident in how my body is feeling. Not going for a time tho, the "3 forts" after which it is named are all on hills and the majority of the course is off road. Hoping for clear skies tho, as the views are beautiful!!

Well done everyone. This has been a great thread (and I may sneakily lurk from time to time on the 2013 thread!)

Waves to all imageimageimage
  • Afternoon all

have been around the shops this morning and while out spotted a 1 running shop and a heath shop that sold gels individually so went in and bought 3 or 4 different types and a couple of favours of each for the Wife and daughter to try as they have never used them before  hopefully there find one that works for them

/members/images/535370/Gallery/Brighton_Marathon_2012_-_finished.jpg

Juggler

hope all gose well this year in the races you do will we be seeing you nin2014

• Great photo.  Must go back to Brighton to go on the Brighton eye!

Just saw from detailed results I did a negative split - 1:46 first half, 1:45 second.  Even more pleased now!

Anyone been for a run yet?

• W/W the eye is ok we went on it Tuesday cost us £16 and then they try selling us a photo of our selfs in a pack for £20 lets just say i never bothered

• TridiverTridiver ✭✭✭

I'm still buzzing from the day, it was just a perfect first marathon, and the help and advice from you guys and gals helped make it. Thank you all.

Oh and I can't stop eating, I've eaten more in the last 3 days than I would normally in 3 weeks*

* maybe a slight exaggeration

• WW im going for a little baby run tomorrow...just to see how legs feel now the pain has subsided well not so much pain more like it felt someone had been thumping my quads for half hour and left what felt like bruising...

Next run is Bristol 10km on 20th may....

Feel like my bestist friend is leaving me now this thread is coming to an end been on it for nearly a year wow does'nt time fly by... but like juggler said ill shall be having a sneaky peak on the 2013 thread from time to time...

• Yvonne, I agree, I'm going to miss this thread too....
  • Some people have mentioned detailed times and splits...where are these I can only find the basic gun/chip times?

• To those of you thinking about running this week, remember that it's not just a case of tired legs, but also beaten up joints. there'll be lots of little internal bruises and swelling which need time to settle down. So probably the best advice for most people is not to run at all this week.. At the very least, unless you have been running particularly high mileage and avoided the temptation to "race" Brighton, then keep any runs very short and very gentle.

E.g. had my first gentle run yesterday evening. Went to gym and did 12 minutes on the Treadmill, completing 1 mile(!) as part of the session. Seemed ok, but will be taking it very easy over the next few days / couple of weeks.

Waves to all, and hapy running sometime in the next few weeks imageimageimage

• How Far?? The split times are just the halfway times on the results page. More detailed splits that people talk about are splits they'll have themsleves from using a Garmin, Nike+ or similar GPS device.

Cheers image

• How Far?? Just realised the problem. The page linked from the Brighton marathon website does not have all the details. Try the following Sports System Link

Good Luck image

• Hi all I did 2 miles on the treadmill last night, my legs feel much better today
  • Farewell 2012 forum - I have now moved over to 2013.

Hopefully I'll see loads of you there soon.

• Was feeling much better yesterday so treadmill for me this morning, 1k walkiing, pause for stretching,  1k gentle jogging, pause for stretching, etc. . . for a total of 6k. Was great to finally feel like I can run again. Will start new training program next week for Southend Half Marathon in June, so need to up my speed if I want a new PB.

Although it was such a great experience i'm going to give Brighton a miss next year, but maybe 2014 will beckon me. Thanks again to all of you for your support along my 2012 Brighton Marathon journey, it was a privilege to be part of this forum.

Good luck with all your running endeavours.

• Juggler234: Red 4387 wrote (see)

To those of you thinking about running this week, remember that it's not just a case of tired legs, but also beaten up joints. there'll be lots of little internal bruises and swelling which need time to settle down. So probably the best advice for most people is not to run at all this week.. At the very least, unless you have been running particularly high mileage and avoided the temptation to "race" Brighton, then keep any runs very short and very gentle.

E.g. had my first gentle run yesterday evening. Went to gym and did 12 minutes on the Treadmill, completing 1 mile(!) as part of the session. Seemed ok, but will be taking it very easy over the next few days / couple of weeks.

Waves to all, and hapy running sometime in the next few weeks imageimageimage

I'm glad you posted that Juggler - I am so tired this week that still haven't run! Weather hasn't helped either. After mara on Sunday travelled for 8 hours then got up for work next day so little recovery time - prob sensible to wait until Sunday to run?

Tomorrow I am cross training with flat pack furniture!image

• I haven't run this week but rode to work today. Felt good for it but got absolutely soaked on the way home! Think I'll take the car tomorrow!
  • Helen Liz wrote (see)

Not too bad, I may consider buying that lot. But I don't remember running past the Brighton Pavillion! That's a rather large building to completely miss seeing!

I missed Buckingham Palace completely in 2010!

• I ride again........... my charity have a spare place in the MK marathon so I'm heading out to banish that disappointment!!!  I figured that I don't want to build up with 4months training again but while I've got the fitness I may as well go for it now.

Spen fancy a new project?

• Danny H, what time did you get in Brighton, and what time are you looking for in MK, I may be tempted !!