Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Sorry folks, I had a miserable day and I hated the course. Won't be back.
  • After missing the entry for this year I was sat poised at 9am to enter for 2012. Just read through all the posts and it sounds like a great event. Can't believe it, I'm already excited! I did London last year and found it too crowded so hoping the smaller event will suit me better. Plus my son lives in Brighton so I get free digs and a chance to cramp his style for the weekend. :0)

Well done to everyone who did it yesterday !
  • I'm in - enjoyed it despite the heat, hope it's cooler next year though
  • UI - What happened, why didn't you enjoy the course?
  • Well I had to miss yesterdays marathon due to a sore knee, so deferred my place. Was gutted I could not run, but was just to sore. Think I will sort my application out for 2012 latter this evening. Hopefully training will go better for next year.
  • Do people who defered teir place from this years race still have to pay full price for the 2012 event?

Well done all you guys who ran yesterday, you all did amazing.

• Ultra - So sorry to hear that, sounds like you had a really bad day what happened?

Solent- I deffered too due to injury and and was gobbed smacked that there is no concession for deffering its exactly the same price so apart from being  guaranteed a place there is no benefit to deffering.I don't know how these things go normally but was sure maybe you paid half price or something. 

Flowers- handy with your Son living down here

Well I'm in even if I'm £50 poorer now, tell you what though I running even if my leg is hanging of this time image

• rugger_bird wrote (see)

Do people who defered teir place from this years race still have to pay full price for the 2012 event?

Well done all you guys who ran yesterday, you all did amazing.

Sadly Yes
  • sisavedbygrace: Yes I agree, it is not a cheap race too at just shy of £50, so hurts even more when you get injured.
  • Just done my application. I'm in for next year.

Now to just get over this injury.

• Solent - lol same for me too IT Band injury I hope I'm ok for next year image

I can never understand the admin charges in a world where the Computer does it all????

• Evening all

Well i put the £5 deposit down for next year so it looks like I’m in as well as long as i pay the balance by the end of April but have to wait till i get paid

Vik w glad you enjoyed it Julia T won’t be with us next year but check out the gulp thread

Green Fairy hope you have better luck getting to run next years race

U/W sorry you had a bad day 

• IT Band problems are a curse but a good physio will sort this out. Book some maintenance massages during your marathon training and you'll be fine next year. There's also lots of good stretching exercises you can do - you probably know this all already but thought I'd offer some encouragement anyway! :0)
  • Thanks Flowers I have contacted the Physio for an apointment, does anyone know much about foam rollers and wherther they are any good I've bought one but don't want to make it worse using it?

Good to see your in again toby image

I have so many photos that I'm going through once I get to the satge of posting them up I'll let you all know

• Evening all

Well I'm in for next year and can't wait, enjoyed it, although it was too hot, my goal next time is to beat 4.30.

Having said that, I've got Beachy Head marathon to conquer again in October and if you thought Brighton was tough, have a go at the Seven Sisters in Eastbourne, they will reduce you to tears.

Just thinking as I'm typing, WHY do I do it?

AHA

• Nooooooooooooooo I'm wavering. PLEASE don't let me do it again..........

But I do feel bad 'cause the course has beaten me twice and made me walk. I must be able to run it if i lose my spare 2 stone????

Helppppppppppppppppp image
  • Hi Julia

Sorry I missed you this year, but we will meet next year, go on, you know you wanna enter.

AHA

• Go on JT you are such a great encourager don't let it beat you image
  • Well done to everyone who ran yesterday, hope your all feeling ok today image I had an amazing day and the crowds were ace and so were the support workers and organisers.

The only thing that ruined it for me was the hotel I stayed in which is the main purpose of my post. If anyone is running in 2012 (ive already signed up!!) then PLease DO NOT stay in the Lansdowne Place. Looks great on website, in reality I was faced with one of the bar staff coming into the room at 11pm switching on the lights and telling us to return a cake knife. They knew I was doing marathon and that we had an 8year old on a camp bed. It was horrible. I dont want anyone else to have such a shocking night sleep when your preparing for such a long tiring day.

Sarah
  • Heck that is awful Sarah the very thought of them coming in and switching on the lights with a question like that bet you was fuming certainly not the best way to spend your evening before the Marathon.

Why did they behave like that do you know?

Sounds CraZy
  • Yikes that doesn't sound good Sarah. Didn't they have more than one knife in the hotel?!

Sisavedbygrace - I had ITB issues last year and ran BM this year without a twinge. I took quite a while off running last summer and then built back up slowly, I got some exercises from a physio to strenghthen my glutes, had regular sports massages (pretty much every couple of weeks through bulk of training) stretched, stretched and more stretched after runs and used my foam roller and spikey ball (personally got more use out of the ball particularly working on my glutes as I think my ITB problems came from tight and weak glutes). Sorry for rambling a bit but wnated to share my success story - you can get through ITB problems.

• Shine On - thanks for that I really appreciate it gives me hope for 2012 that I will do it, better had as I don't want to be deferring again image
  • Wow Sarah, thats scarey.image  How did they know you had a cake knife?  I have to admit I've been prone to borrow a knife if I'm not buying the extortionate breakfast costs that hotels charge for some bagels etc but how would anyone know?  Creepy!

Julia - your training has gone well each time so you can run for 20 miles already  Its just been hot both years so third time lucky?

• note to s(elf) - if it's hot next year, don't plan to run a negative split.
  • Entered for next year image looking forward to some good training (didnt have it first year) and injury free training (didnt have it second year) to try and beat my 4 hour target!

One can only hope!

I must give a mention to one of the main reasons why i was able to complete this years race, got strapped up the day before using 'rocktape' from the expo on the saturday. Cured my shin splints at the cost of 2 half shaven legs- well worth it! I would recommend it to anyone who suffers with it in the future as its not one of this fads that claim to work. (I dont work for rocktape by the way haha)

Bring on 2012 and a PB! image

• JuliaT - so that's you and me to lose 2 stone then!  Sounds like a challenge to me!  Would be good motivation and a bit of fun trying to out-do the other.  How about a bet!!?? Loser buys the post-race ice-creams?

Re deferred entry fee.  Last year there was a £15 reduction but by the time I have registered for 2012 I shall have forked out around £135 and haven't run a step of the marathon yet! (ok I did walk the last 7 miles last year but that hardly counts). THAT is why I SHALL be running next year.

• is there plenty of entries yet for 2012
  • MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    I've just entered... It will be my first marathon. image at least I have a year to train!
  • Looking forward to next years already, legs still sore and achey but raring to start training again next week! I didnt think I would enjoy the marathon as much as I did, although I wont lie I did question it many times towards the end!

Now just a year of training to prepare for the next one!! image,

Bring it on!!!!