Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• SL - well that's a relief! Conjured up a vision of toast stored in a most unusual fashion! And only for one slice!imageimageimage
  • With the amount of people posting on this thread to say they have signed up for next year, my guess it will not be long until all the places are gone. Think it will be quicker then last year.

Still got a niggle in my left knee when I try to run, but seems to be getting better, at least I can still cross train,so that is what I shall do latter when I hit the gym.

• I've been cross training this morning - I HATE hoovering!! But it's better than ironing....
  • Just about to embrace a marathon session of ironing- no medal at the end though. Bah!
  • Nice to see you Forty image Just wondered, if you were choosing between the Thistle and Old Ship (was that were you were sunday - next door?) which would you pick? Just so i can start planning next years accomodation image
  • Afternoon all

There be no running this week for me i have the Bristol 10k in may then the Bristol half in September but other than that nothing haven’t signed up for bath half yet next year so if it’s full i will just look around for something else

It’s nice to see lots of old faces

Bootsie it nice to hear you’re running next year 

S/L keep us laughing

Julia T i have some cross training you can do if you like

•  Hi Julia,may i wish you the best of luck for next year,i always enjoy reading your posts.I am guaranteed London next year so i wont be lurking in the background from now on.Keep on believing....
  • Good afternoon all,

A quick question, I am a fairly new runner and only just completed the brighton marathon at the weekend. With regards to training, would you recommend running in other events for example half marathons and 10k runs throughout the year as preparation for the big event or does it not really matter and doing standard training is enough,

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers

• JuliaT - I stayed in Gullivers Hotel (sistered with New Steine Hotel on same street - New Steine). They were very reasonably priced. The rooms were fairly small but very comfortable, the owners were friendly and very helpful (special 'marathon breakfast' of porridge, toast and fruit at 6.30am), and its located close to the finish line. The added bonus is that there is a nice grass garden area on the same street which was perfect for relaxing and enjoying a beer and the weather after the race. Highly recommended.
  • Spenny7 wrote (see)

Good afternoon all,

A quick question, I am a fairly new runner and only just completed the brighton marathon at the weekend. With regards to training, would you recommend running in other events for example half marathons and 10k runs throughout the year as preparation for the big event or does it not really matter and doing standard training is enough,

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers

Entering a few events during your training is always good as it gives you something to focus on, and breaks up the monotony of boring solo training runs. Also, it gets you used to race-day preparation. I think its fair to say that a lot of people enter an organised half-marathon at some point during their training. There are plenty of well organised events out there.
  • Julia T-The Ship, more reasonably priced, same room size/facilities, little more worn around the edges but great breakfast!

• This is so exciting we have all entered for Brighton 2012, and it will be so special olympics in London ,the Queens 60 year Reign ,this will be a Marathon to remember ,

I have never Run the VLM was meant to in 2010 but was in Hospital in the February so had to pull out but my daugher took part in 2009 having been a spectator ,did not enjoy very much to boring Brighton has much better views and the spectator support is fantastic.

I am already planning my training going to start earlier this time as I really would like to do in sub 5 or better ,thinking of getting a flotation belt and trying some training in the local pool .if any one uses one can they let me know if they think it is worth the investment and if they felt it helped them at all

• Xine 267 - my training will start at about 30 miles next week and then go up to about 60 -70 miles in one week, my longest run in one go will be 35 - 40 miles, I am still working out the details.
  • Spen: 35 - 40 miles in one run! That's some going. Guess you got to with the Ultra coming up. Good luck with it.
  • Afternoon all, nice to see the same faces / names as in the 2011 thread. And (you can't start a sentence with And can you?) nice to see new people who have signed up as well. Hello.

I've pretty much left the 2011 thread, and put BM behind me. I could make many excuses as to why I didn't perform as well as I hoped on Sunday, but instead will reflect upon the positives and look forward to 2012.

For the rest of the year; I have two half's planned for September / October and looking for one more around June (suggestions?). Aiming to get into the 1h20's.

So, running combined with various cycling events, a possible sprint tri, and various hiking / climbing trips should see me well into late summer image
  • Hi all, well my plan not to do marathons again vanished pretty quick

Tim theres the seaford half on june 5th.
    spen- that sounds legendary
    julia t - i have some cross training two if you fancy turning it into an ultra

One of my fav ever quotes is Viktor Frankl when he said "when you have a big enough WHY you can bare any HOW" this year in the race I realised my "why" motivation didn't really matter it was superficial and simply not achievable in that heat - i.e. to simply beat my brother-in-law’s time, soon as that realisation came to light I lost my drive on time just my commitment to finish the race.

I’ve changed my focus now to do the Time best I can and be the best I can for me, so need to shed a bit more weight, condition myself more, with a much longer run in and build up far more mental focus via BMF classes and solo Southdown’s runs with two gentle runs in the week

Brighton marathon 2012 will be my focused goal in all this so in preparation me and my dog are doing the Seaford half as a welcome back and beachy head marathon (in the jogging group for time, just time on my legs - not racing) then building up conditioning to speed in November and kick of an 18 week plan in December

hope all your plans work out everyone
  • SR - I have been advised to do half the distance in training, so 35 - 40 miles it is. Not sure how long it will take, I think it will have to be get up at 2am and set off, but that will be in July sometime so time to plan the details.
  • Spen: your already at marathon standard, so guess it is just a case of building from that. Am sure you will be alright anyhow.
  • Thanks Loftus! All the best for London, maybe one day I'll get in....

Spenny I think doing some races this year is a good plan, certainly a HM can be used to try out things like : what to wear, does it rub? Hydration/fuel what to eat at breakfast? And just general tactics such as sorting out your pace and not starting out too fast. You can also see whether your times are improving and gives you something else to take your mind off the big day!

Thanks for the hotel recommendations - and not! The cake knife incident was horrific! I am making notes for choosing in a few weeks time. We stayed in the Thistle and were very happy BUT we had a seafacing room so did not get disturbed by the disco which i think others were. Also breakfast was good but i wouldn't bother with dinner, nice enough but expensive. And the room was expensive but very nice. So may go there again, will do some price comparing.

Razkatz I plan to start my build up earlier, will try and hold HM level through the summer then build from there.

Spen I have no idea where i would go if i needed a run that long! (Thinks....perhaps Spen is bonkers.....)

And Tim. Yes you can.

Sorry Evolving and Toby have to go and pay in my sponsor money now, I'd have loved to have lent a hand and all that image

Waves to everyone else, SR are you planning on doing any IOW races this year?
  • JuliaT - I think you are as organised as I am already looking at hotels, but booking dont open until next week. I am abit bonkers I would agree, after last Sunday and the heat the stupidty to have ago at an ultra is starting to sink in, but I have paid my money and have got to give it ago. Luckily I live on the outskirts of a town and can get onto country roads within 5 minutes so there are many routes I could use that way, or I have a few routes around the estate I live on, one of them is  a 4 mile loop, which I could do 9 or 10 laps of, as the ultra is 7 x 10 miles laps that could be good practice and I could re-fuel at home each lap.

SR - i agree marathon standard already, just only 1 and a half marathons to add on the end, just need to sort out hydration and electrolytes better than on Sunday

• Bootsie, sounds like you have a full summer ahead! I have a feeling that a "completing a triathlon" will make its way onto my list of things to do before the milestone birthday - it gives me 15 months to get past the swimming-drowning-imaginary shark phobia.

C&I Dad (Spen), once again - WOW! I will follow your Ultra progress with interest image

Toby - Silverstone is the same weekend as Bath, I signed up around October for entry this year so should be places left even if you leave it a few months. Lots and lots of VLM runners do it as their scheduled HM, they have shuttle buses running from London on the day and lots of info on VLM in the info they send out. (However, if you are hoping as I was for a medal shaped like a steering wheel, tyre or F1 car, you will be disappointed image ) Might also be worth entering the Brighton Half in Feb 2012? I think that it takes in part of the Marathon course (any veterans of both care to confirm?)

Julia (and everyone re: Brighton hotels), I've noticed that lots of B&Bs and hotels have 2 night minimum stays, and that a few seemed to want you to stay on Friday if you booked Saturday night (bit annoying because Fri & Sat are the expensive nights). Was this the case at the hotels you stayed in this year?

Saying that, I've always wanted to indulge my rock&roll fantasies and stay at Hotel Pelirocco ... perhaps if I start saving my pennies now I might just be able to afford it in 51 weeks time!

• Xine - what's the banana event you mentioned?

I will have my B&B sorted again i expect, very nice - get my own room not ensuite, and the decor is very dated but i wouldn't stay anywhere else! image  My grandparents! plus only took my 5 mins by car to get to the park this year too. 

• Gazza81 & Ladyplodder - thanks for the advice and inspiration... I will definatly aim for sub-4 next year and am already looking at training plans....

Re Hotels - I stayed in the Holiday Inn which was OK, but because I booked fairly late when there wasn't much accommodation around I paid a lot.  My parents took their caravan to the Sheepcote Camping and Caravan Park in Brighton and had a lovely time - the weather was perfect for their week away .....image

• Xine267 thank you for that i may well considered it i have also thought about the forest of dean
  • Jenny - Beat the Banana is a 5km in Hyde Park in May organised by the World Cancer Research Fund. Runners chase a giant banana, and perhaps there are banana shaped medals (I hope so!) image 

A lot of the girls at work are doing it, none of the guys signed up despite all the sniggering that accompanied the race name!

I think they might organise other events as well, I'm pretty sure there was one in Milton Keynes last year, the website also has all the tshirts and banana costumes for sale in case people want to organise their own race. .. here's the link:

http://www.wcrf-uk.org/fundraising/fundraising_campaigns/beat_the_banana.php

The Nun Run was a really fab race, I've done it for the last 2 years (last year in a thunderstorm!) and can't recommend it enough. They've moved it from Spring to September this year, also worth checking out image

Get into the habit here ...

• Good grief ! We're already up to 145 posts ! I think the 2012 forum is going to be a PB !

Re hotels, I live in London and come down on the day, but it occurred to me on the train this year, you could stay somewhere lke Redhill, on the railway line and get to Preston Park in 30 mins. Blimey ! talk about pre-planning !

• yup i live in kent so was thinking of driving down this year instead of staying down there the night before... last year we stayed over a night club and didnt' get a wink of sleep! my own bed is very comfy and can buy lots of pasta with the money i save on a hotel
  • Toby - the Forest of Dean half is a lovely trail run.  Not really a PB course but all off road and very scenic, unlike Silverstone which I found a bit soul destroying when I did it back in 2005. 

If the new Forest of Dean half this Autumn is on the same course as last month's it's well worth doing and makes a refreshing change from pounding the pavements.  It's organised by the Rotary Club.  Only a couple of gripes from my point of view - not sufficient toilets (as ever) and parts of the course were congested (in the sense parts of BM were congested) - otherwise it was very well organised and worth the drive from 'Brissle'.  Have never done Bath, mostly due to the price!  There's also Reading, which is good for PBs. 

Oops, almost forgot that this is the BM2012 thread image

• Horaay, just signed up too. This will be my first marathon, am hoping it'll be less pressure than VLM.

• Ladyplodder thank you for that i may well miss Bath this year  although it is where i have set all my fastest times including my PB of 1:52:32 so i will have to see if i weaken