Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

huffapuff - was my first marathon this year, only pressure was myself & the fundraising money i knew i had raised! Nothing but support & encouragment from eveyone around me!

Love the beat the banana race - who do they have as the banana & does he get beaten?  Sadly i've been invited to the Royal Windsor Horse Show that day, as an ambassador for a volunteer scheme.

I think i might invest in new trainers for brighton 2012 - something with more support & cushion for my feet., something with springs in it preferably.

Trying to decide if to run 2012 for a charity or not too.  was distinctly underwhelmed by the reaction from CF charity team in the charity village - not even a banner! just not sure i could raise £2000 2 years in a row either.  Doing an abseil for my riding for the disabled group at the end of April but will be lucky to raise £100 from that - and its such a fab group, would really like to give more so i think i might chose them.

• Options

Evening all....

New to this forum, but Runners World has been my bible for the last 6 months and i've spent a fair few hours lurking the forums for tips and bits, so i thought i'd get involved.

Did this years Brighton Marathon (my first one) so i'm still carrying the war wounds. Went for a 4hr 30mins finish, but unfortunately finished 7 minutes outside of that. My knee flared up on the 21st mile by the power station which slowed me down to pretty much walking pace. Managed to pick it up for the promenade and the main strip, but 4.30 was well out of the window by then. That heat was no joke either!

My knees are still killing me. My right hamstring is playing up. Both my little toes feel like someone has taken to them with a tenderising mallet. Two toenails are pretty much ready to vacate. Standing up and sitting down are a complete ordeal, and everytime i walk for longer than 30 seconds, a brand new injury seems to make itself known. Basically, it's living hell at the moment.

.....anyway, i've signed up for the 2012 race!

• Options

See now reading that Bill - i really feel like i didn't work hard enough.... as i feel fine now & will be back to at least an hour in the gym from tomorrow.

Maybe this being my first marathon, for 2012 i will know that my feet although agony, won't drop off & i just need to get moving!

• Options

Your powers of recovery must be immense!?

I'm not in fantastic shape as it is. Infact, this last six months aside, i've never done more than a 10k run. I think this is my body telling me that next time i need to take a bit more care throughout training, plus pre/post race as well.

So glad i did it though. I've got the bug now, and I can't wait to do it again. I will win. 4hrs30 will be mine!!!

• Options

I;ve found protein power has improved my recovery time, certainly with the gym classes previously,  that and if you can get a massage - mine was just on a  powerplate at the gym, but it certainly relaxed my Quads.

Do you think they will change much with regards to 2012 - other than having more shot blox so there are still some available at mile 12 when i get there!

• Options

Hard to say. I really enjoyed the course in general. Lots of pros, and only a couple of cons for me. Those being....

* Very narrow in some parts. The first water station in town, and then the roads along the coast and leading to Ovingdean (around 7/8 miles?) were too narrow. I know they need to leave room for Ambulances in some places, but maybe that could be addressed for next year?

* The route around the power station. A real souless place to break down. No one to cheer you on. Horrible, industrial, and grey. And the only people there are St.Johns Ambulance!!! It's hard to not let that get into your head when you're on the verge of crashing. At that stage of the race (...20 miles??) you need all the support you can get. It takes a certain mental toughness to come through that bit. Maybe it's done on purpose as a challenge?

Other than that, i wouldn't change much. The pros definitely outweight the cons.

Oh...and a coastal breeze would be nice for next year, if they could order one of those in!?

• Options

I agree achilles about it being abit crowded in places.. Trying to pass the 4.30 pacers group was quite hard  and dont forget that there were less than 8000 people who took part. Imagine if they had got closeer to the 15000 who had registered.

However I had a fantastic time and enjoyed myself.. Managed 4hrs 11 so got to try for under 4 next year So let me know if you find any good plans please Gayle.

Went orienteering today ...that was the wrong thing to do..

• Options
    Good evening everyone, still not run as i promised my legs a rest until sunday. I never realised how many hours there are in a day, i've got so much done image

Dad you need some determination to keep heading back out after popping off at home for a pitstop. I did it a couple of times on long runs but it was hard not to say oh s*d it and give up! Mind you when you say 7 X 10 laps that does not sound too bad............ image

Xine wow that hotel looks bonkers! Would you really be able to drag yourself out of it on the sunday morning to go and run a marathon? Yes lots of hotels had a 2 night booking policy this year but it didn't worry us as Mr T was quite happy to make a weekend of it imageHe is starting his spectators training plan just before Christmas image

Jenny sounds like a perfect arrangement you have there.

Gayle we'll be ready to book quicker this year. Sub 4 hour is in my dreams somewhere......... image

Wow beat the banana sounds fun. Maybe we should organise one..... who's quickest?

SL it will quieten down in a week or 2 i expect, we're all still pumped up i suspect. At least i hope so or we'll have no time for running!

Bootsie i didn't hear anything bad about the park and rides this year, being nearer has its advantages.

Waves to Ladyplodder and Toby

Welcome aboard Huffapuff a few of us did Brighton as our first marathon and it was ideal and very friendly

Ha ha Achilles join the crazy club, you list all those aliments and are still willing to do it again image

Dr Who why was it the wrong thing to do? Did you get lost? Or were you in pain.........

• Options

Julia T   I always end up abit lost but thought that I would take it gentle...but it was hilly and the legs were really tired. I wasnt going to do the event but because we need the points ( 2nd in the league at the mo) I thought that I should make the effort.

• Options

Ohh and I see someones selling there Medal on ebay....its up to £ 1.41 at the mo

• Options

Really- you'd have to prise my out of my hand to sell it image

been up to the london expo today to meet some friends who were collecting their numbers- marathon fever had defiitely hit the capital!!  For one brief moment i wanted to enter the ballot and then realised it was just marathon fever and i much prefered Brighton this year!

I stayed in the Jury's Inn which is a 5mins walk from train station and about a 10minute amble to the start!! 

I toyed with the idea of doing the ruchmond park marathon in may but thought better of it as i don't do well with laps so i'm going to try my hand at volunteering at it instead!!  So only race i have pencilled in is Windsor Half in September!!!

• Options

Selling their medal??!!! Why on earth?image

Mine's safely in my folder of certificates with my number & good luck fairy/angel my Nan knitted & i gave a piggy back to on Sunday image Ok so it's more special as its my 1st marathon, but i still wouldn't sell it if it wasn't!

The BM website changes every time i look at it!

• Options
    It's so sad that people sell their medals on ebay.

Hello everyone, so nice to see so many from the previous BM threads. I'm in for next year but I am a bit worried about it. My mental performance this year was just shocking. Obviously something to work on, not sure how.

As for physicals, got the hero run in May once my foot is better and the great south run in october, just need to fill in the other months now.

Hope everyone is getting back to normality now, and those aches are starting to subside.
  • Options

Julia - would be a perfect situation if my grandparents didn't fuss so much, i know they  care but my goodness when you are trying to prepare for something their 'help' can really cause stress. at times i thought it would be less stressful to stay in a hotel, but then going back on the bus after for some dinner before coming home - i wouldn't have changed that image

I like the idea of our own Banana race!

• Options

Evening all

Signed up for 2012 and will be my 3rd one on the trot.  Races I have entered for are the Bewl water 15 miler, the Beachy Head marathon and I'll do my local Maidstone half marathon.

For 2012 I'll then do the Pilgrims challenge again in Feb, did it last year, 33 miles one way, sleep on a hard floor in a school hall, up at 7.00am and head back 33 miles from the previous day, tough one as it's cross country etc.

However, my main focus is going to be the 2012 Brighton marathon, as I've got unfinished business, in relation to my time, next year I will achieve what I want to achieve.

AHA

• Options

Ahapatridge - I have messaged you.
  • Options

Hello All - Maybe I'm one of the few but I quite like Silverstone Half - No atmosphere, boring course, car park problems afterwards, but it was the first half I ever did and I cant help but be fond of it. No doubt I will end up doing it again next year if for no other reason than its at exactly the right time in training to run a half.

I'm feeling pretty normal today, I can move up and down stairs just like a normal person - incredibly hungry though for some reason, need to get that under control I think pretty sharpish, blobs dont run marathons sub 5 hrs!

I will have a gentle jog on Saturday see how the legs feel - I am doing the marathon distance Moonwalk for breast cancer next month so sort of need to carry on training straight away, but I am hoping that if I can run the distance I can surely walk it a month later without too much bother although it will take a lot longer.

Local 10k for me in early July in the hope that it will help me run faster for longer then I have been asked to run a leg of a 4X10k relay in Sept, I would love to but would like to see how fast I have got over the summer before risking letting 3 others down.

Jenny you mention new trainers - its really worth getting a gait analysis done and the right shoes for you - it made a heck of a difference to me in terms of my knees achilles and shins. You do pay quite a lot for the trainers but to run as much as you are planning to its well worth it. I wouldnt buy trainers without it now and each time I have, my running style has changed slightly and I have had a different shoe to compensate for it. Blimey I sound like an athlete.

• Options

Thought I'd drop this in.  While chatting to marshalls during a lull at the powerstation loop entrance/exit, someone mentioned that the last three miles could be spiced up by having to run along the shingle on the beach!

Even my legs groaned at the idea of that!

• Options

Hey guys,

just been lurking about reading these forums and figured I'd chip in.

Ran the '11 marathon this year (my first) as a bit of a whim.. Somebody talked me into it and before I knew what had happened I was on the starting blocks.

It was touch and go right up to the final week whether I'd actually run it or not, only managed 15 miles in one go in training and felt unprepared to say the least. In the end I figured nothing ventured nothing gained and dragged myself to Preston Park at the crack of dawn (well it felt like it anyway following a 10 hour shift the day before) and I'm so glad I did!

The crowds were awesome, the weather beautiful and the achievement immense. At mile 23 I was close to tears looking down the promenade at the pier (I live in Brighton and had never realised how far it was!!). I was swearing blind that my running shoes would be in the next rubbish collection, my legs were screaming at me, asking how I could put them through this hell. I crossed the finish line in what felt like September, and got a text from a friend informing me I'd made it in sub 4 (albeit by 2 seconds) and everything was forgiven.

Instead of my running shoes finding their way to the dump on Monday morning, I found myself on my lap top signing up for next year, aswell as the HM in Feb, and possibly the Royal Parks in Oct... I guess I've got the bug! I figure if I really get my training into gear this time round I could be capable of a time I'd never imagined.

I'll be watching this forum closely, you seem like a pretty welcoming bunch, and as somewhat of a novice I find your tips invaluable!

Here's to 2012 people!image

• Options
    Could never sell my medal i am that sad i still have every race pack that has been sent to me the only things that are missing are the timing chip and the bag labels i still have last year’s foil blanket from Brighton and the bag they send us to put things in
  • Options

Crazy that anyone would want to sell their medal????

Do you think it's a case of someone selling some that didn't get used, personally I wouldn't want one if I didn't earn it

• Options

Morning all

Craig, great story and great time, as you say, this running lark is addicitive, like you, I was running round the course thinking never again, but next day on the laptop and in for 2012.

Hope to...... sent you a message, go on you know you want to do it!

Sitting here this morning, with what I can only describe as MAN FLU, since Monday, I have felt crap, think the race took to much out of me and now I'm suffering.  No sympathy from other half in doors, she thinks this exercise and healthy eating and running lark is no good for me, anyway I enjoy it.

Getting slightly frustrated as I want to start having a little trot around the block and there's a 5k park run on Saturday that I wanted to do, but when your on deaths door and in the night all you can see is the grim reaper standing over your bed, i don't know if I can do it (you know what I mean guys)  Anyway i'm off to blow my snotty nose, have a good day all.  AHA

• Options

Accoring to Brighton Marathon last Year.There Enteries will close early just after London.Because there want more runners like 23000.Wicked

Im in for years now in Brighton!

• Options
    I like the idea of 'unfinished business' AHA!! Me too.

Anyone got any autumn marathon plans?
  • Options

Going through some photo's and I think I've come across someone 'Brian O'Riordan' ?

If it is you Brian O'R I was going to run for the Rockinghorse, for anyone else I still working my way through them it is going to take me months with so many pictures but keep looking hopefully ??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37050697@N06/5609682320/

• Options

Toby - tis not sad. Mum started  me a 'This is your life' folder when i was young & i'm now on the 3rd folder. Thats where mine have gone.

Back to the gym today, see if those really are pain free.

Partridge - feel better soon - maybe a little job would sweat it out?

• Options

Karen - just spotted your bit about trainers.  I did get a gait analysis (3 different shops) before i bought these & i'm positive they haven't reached they're mileage yet either.  I did ask at the time for something with cushion - but this really didn't feel like enough on Sunday.

Am i just being unrealistic? Is it going to hurt no matter what i have on my feet? By next April i'm sure the trainers will have reached their mileage anyway & it will be time for a new pair.

• Options
    jenny.. might be worth going to see a podiatrist? mine was brilliant.  Running much better since I got some off the shelf orthotics and only £100 for appointment and 2 pairs!
  • Options
    Bootsie - Sounds like one of the things to add to my "when i get a job" list!  will bear it in mind, thanks.
  • Options
    Funny enough I'm sure I was saying 'never again' over and over from about mile 15 - just as we turned into Grand Avenue. And how soul destroying it was passing all the runners coming the other way and thinking 'we must turn soon......' BUT I saw some buddies coming the other way to wave to and now I see that as a positive - next year we should all try and run near the middle so we can pass the time by waving/heckling/encouraging etc. image

Craig what a lovely story image

GF fancy 3 miles up the shingle next year then do you image

Ooops Toby I still have the foil blanket and the kit bag and all my old race numbers...... Don't think it's sad exactly, more motivational??!

Aha I feel for you, that man-flu is a terrible thing. My teenage daughter gets it too... image Wishing you well.

Jenny I think your feet will hurt by the end of a marathon no matter what you wear, it was extra hot sunday which will make them swell up more so they hurt in places you didn't know you had. The reckoning is shoes should last between 300-500 miles but everyone is different.

Has anyone run yet? I want to but promised my legs a rest until sunday.