Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Oh I know I said I had other things to get on with but I couldn't resist popping by..

Jenny - Worth getting your shoes checked out but I agree with Julia T that it is going to hurt anyway, especially in the heat.

Alan - I have unfinished business too, especially between mile 16 and 23. That is where I did a deal with myself, if I took neurofen to carry on and blank out the pain from my crocked leg, then I had to run/walk. Hoping next year that I manage to run that bit properly.

Re momento's - love the idea of a 'This is your Life ' folder, Jenny. Think I'll get one each for my kids. I have my diaries, most things get sellotaped in there, race numbers, tickets, invites etc.

Toby-I think its great that you have everything from your races and why not- they are reminders of just how much you have achieved, especially this year, Mr. P.B.

Julia t- I liked the route for that reason too - I called out to you on the road to hell but I think you were digging deep at that point and didn't hear me

Craig - Welcome and well done!

Re resting up, especially if you are ill. Resist the urge to get back at it, allow your body time to recover, it worked very hard on Sunday. Give yourself a week off, at least. The official line is one day for every mile - so that would be 3.5 weeks. I have friends who got back to it too quickly after London, and what happens is you stay tired for longer and are more prone to injury.

I'm planning on not even attempting to run for 3 weeks but that is because I need to give my achilles and inner calf/ankle tendons time to heal. Trying not to eat for England in the meantime! The size of my appetite is letting me know just how tired I am. Anyone else feeling this?

I haven't quite got my plans sorted but will concentrate on speed rather than distance mostly this side of Autumn. Great North Run in Sept and Herts 10k in Oct. Ithink I will start my marathon training slightly earlier to allow for illness, injury, weather etc! I liked your idea Toby of having the first 20 mile run quite early in your schedule, it was much earlier than any of my LSR's. Will need to be on higher mileage going into the schedule. Fully intend on keeping at 10 and 12 milers through the Autumn.

Green Fairy - Shingle! That would definitely finish me off!

• Julia - I know, the hotel looks crazy! I could host a really funky afterparty there though image

I think top of my list is somewhere close to the finish, with a BATH and that is runner-friendly (willing to provide early morning breakfasts on race day etc). I'm really shocked about the cake knife incident, what kind of hotel does that?!

Jenny - you should definitely organise a Banana race! I will report back after the Hyde Park event to let you know how it goes (and more importantly, how good the medals are).

Can't believe people are selling their Brighton Marathon medals on eBay. I'm so acquisitive when it comes to event medals, there's no way I would let anyone else get their hands on mine! You also have to question what kind of pathetic person buys a medal for an event they didn't run.

• xine thats what i was wondering! i would never want a medal for a race ididn't do!!!

• my dog - it's like Groundhog Day in here innit?? another year, same nonsense about Brighton Marathon. image

I shall formally declare now that I will NOT be doing Brighton 2012 - next year I am having a break from any marathons. I have one more to do this year - at the back end of Ironman Wales and then it's time to have a rest. the old body is feeling the strain!!

but I will be supporting and possibly volunteering and will stuck my head in from time to time to see how people are getting on and offer any advice I can.

• The only medal I'd buy would be Brighton Hlaf 2009. It was my first half and the only medal I have lost. Don't know what anyone else would buy a medal and I certainly would not sell mine ever.

Julia T asked if anyone had been for a jog yet....my legs ffeel like they would cope with a slow jog as I can finally walk down the stairs in a nearly normal fashion! But my blisters wont let me wear shoes image and it's not really flip flop weather anymore (why wasn't it like this sunday?)

Re plans I keep umming and ahhing. Ranging from not doing a marathon next year to doing one in the Summer or Aumtumn, to well I might as well enter the London ballot cos I won't get in! definitely doing the Brighton Half if anyone is doing that (could have a thread reunion) and quite like the idea of being in a supportsers group next year if still living in the area. New debates are Seaford Half or Worthing 10K in early June? Probably depends how soon I get off my arse and get running on the hills again.

• i will prob be doing the brighton half.. makes sense really doesn't it!
  • My left knee still hurts, I've got toenails falling off left, right and centre and my left hip feels like its taken a hit from a juggernault... so can somebody explain why this marathon lark is so addictive?! I had planned a break from marathons having done 4 in little over a year, but found myself registering for Brighton 2012 last night, so I'm definitely back in again!

It's insanity I tells ya!

• I really want to go for another run, just to re-ignite the engine, but i keep putting it off. Maybe next week some time i'll try and get out for a few miles. I'm thinking of playing football this weekend. Not a full game mind.....maybe 15 minutes of glory at the end 'goal hanging'!

I entered the Canterbury Half Marathon on May 22nd, and was looking to that to get me back on track in a few weeks time, but it's been cancelled due to lack of entrants. Shame really, because i've been told it's a nice run*.

*The fact that I was due to stay down there afterwards to go and watch Kent Vs Sussex, and spend a few well-deserved hours on the Oranjeboom has absolutely nothing to do with it!!!!

• shine on you crazy diamond wrote (see)

The only medal I'd buy would be Brighton Hlaf 2009. It was my first half and the only medal I have lost. Don't know what anyone else would buy a medal and I certainly would not sell mine ever.

Totally understandable in that case! Especially as its too late to contact the organisers to ask if they have spares knocking around, but I'm sure anyone who lost their BM 2011 medal or didn't pick one up at the end could just give the organisers a ring.

Did anyone attend the Training Days organised by Brighton Marathon this year? I have heard that they were very good, but not much running on the actual course. If they run them again I am up for attending, possibly making a weekend of it to do some long training runs on the tougher parts of the course. (Not in Hotel Pelirocco though, I think I'll be checking back into St Christopher's Inn Hostel and trying to avoid the clubbers!)

• It's official - I had my first minor running urge this morning. image I had an urge to run at club tonight. Common sense has kicked in though as I know my body isn't quite ready for it. The question is will I manage to resist after watching the VLM on the telly on Sunday?

Instead I registered for Bedgebury Park 10km in May this morning. It's only 4 weeks away so is something for me to aim towards. Probably won't be trying for a PB as it's my first official trail race.

Finger is stil hovering over the BM 2012 enter me key...

• do it anne! more the merrier image
  • How are everyone's legs? I am starting to feel like going for a run but perhaps I should wait until next week?
  • I think we'll all enjoy watching VLM on the telly on Sunday and it will give us the kick to put the trainers back on....

Like you Anne I've entered my first trail 10km in May... I wanted to have something to aim for now all the marathon madness has subsided (for a while at least image)

For anyone interested in half marathons, I did the Robin Hood half in Nottingham last September.  Its a really well supported race and I loved it - I would recommend that.  I can't do it this year as it falls on my parents 40th Wedding Anniversary so I will be out celebrating with them...image

• Thanks Julia T & Gazza81 for the advice:

I have started to look at some events and there is a half marathon local to me in Seaford around June time, which looks quite interesting. so am going to apply for this one. I suppose I can then compare my split marathon time to a half marathon.

Like a few other people I have now got the urge to go back out training, but maybe its too soon! Legs feel alright but probably best not to push it and wait until Monday!

I have roped my brother and best mate into doing the BM next year! Although my brother has now realised after booking it, it will be his 1st wedding anniversary on that day, so he's now got one year of grovelling to do ! hahah

• This thread is getting big already, the Paris 2012 thread stands no chance image

fb: good luck at IM Wales. I really want to enter a 70.3 - the cycling and running part is fine, but its the swim that is putting me off. Theres a local 1 mile outdoors swim in June here, that may be a good introduction, but if I'm gonna do that I may as well do the cycling and running part after wards...

I wouldn't deliberately get rid of medals either by selling or throwing them away, but the rest of the stuff is straight in the bin when I get home. Who wants to keep a battered sweaty race number anyway image

Been out on my bike twice since Sunday, once on Monday and once last night. Legs feel good, in fact better than the week before the marathon. Also it appears that my calf / ankle is injury is better as it didn't complain once on Sunday and has been fine since. Blisters have pretty much gone now. First run planned for this weekend.
  • Hey everybody, figured i may aswell get invoved in the thread as i spent long enough lurking on 2011 without saying anything!

Signed up at 9am on Monday for another crack at Brighton; it'll be my third year!....I want to try and be ever present for as long as possible - until im a crazy old man, shuffling along the seafront on his 50th appearance!

Green Fairy....dont even joke about running on the shingle, i did Hastings Marathon a few years back which had a stretch like that for a mile or so towards the end.....it was not good....not good at all!!!....infact, im close to tears thinking about it now!

Congrats to everyone who finished this year (the heat was crazy!!!).

Hope everybody racks up a few PB's over the coming months and makes the start line next April in the best shape you can be!

Greg.

• Hi All

I ran my 1st Marathon on Sunday at brighton & I must say had the the time of my life it was worth every ache & pain and have already signed up for 2012. I finished in 5:41 not bad for someone who had only ran for a bus up until a year ago !!!!! imageimage  I really have caught the running bug bad ! Infact I am of out tonight for a short run and cant wait !

And from any of you seasoned Marathoners out there Tips would be Appreciated on how to get my time down

Lizzie  

• TimO (*tim*) wrote (see)
    Who wants to keep a battered sweaty race number anyway image
    Me image I write my time in the corner of them and stick them on my wardrobe and bedroom doors, like some kind of teenage running fangirl.
  • It's got a bit colder today, eh ? And I just had a bit of a flashback of me running through the West End at 5.30AM on a dark wet February morning when the only people around are cleaners and clubbers.

Then I realised. I've entered BM 2012. It' wasn't a flashback, it was a premonition. Oh lordyimage

• Spenny 7 - get your brother to persuade his OH to enter as well!  An anniversary to remember!image

Simples.

• Xine - i've kept my number too image

where would we hold a banana race tho - should be brighton as this is the Brighton 2012 thread, but lots of people don't live there (me included)  Although if someone wanted to dress as a banana for us all to  chance during next years marathon?image

Did body attack this morning feel better than ever. Instructor mentioned someone in the room had done a marathin this week end - would have got away with it but was wearing my t-shirt from the day which i put "brighton marathon 2011" on image  Was tempted to take a run around the fields this afternoon, but decided i should  at least try & start back slowly....image

• After a couple of days rest, I'm getting itchy feet now - dying to go out for a gentle run!

Unfortunately OH is out tonight so am going to have to wait until tomorrow night.

I've also persuaded someone else to run next year after extolling Brighton's virtues so much, hopefully we should be about the same pace so he can act as a brake on my desire to go too fast in the first half!

Love the idea of the banana race

http://ofb.net/~epstein/sl/bananaman.jpg

Imagine chasing that round the park, hilarious!
  • Jenny & Al - I'll travel anywhere for a good run and an amusing medal image but if anyone else wants to volunteer to be the banana at Brighton .... There is also a Gorilla Run in London around September, but that is so expensive to enter.

I don't live in Brighton either, but  think I'll try to get down there for at least a few training runs over the winter (hopefully coinciding with the official training days).  Where possible I like to scope out the course before a run so I know where the really nasty bits are, and I think its a psychological boost being able to say to myself "come on, you've done this bit before"

Well done on doing Body Attack today, and if I was you I would be wearing the tshirt EVERYWHERE. And the medal! image Maybe take a nice gentle run at the weekend? Just before tuning in for the VLM coverage.

• We went out for an hour during the training day in february.  Was a great day. would recommend.

Xine -having the weekend off but will be doing a couple of classes tomorrow. going to bluewater shopping centre would be good for a walk but not sure why else i'm going don't want to get in the way of mum's catch up with her friend, but if i don't i'd only be booking into the gym otherwise image

I shall be wearing my finishers t-shirt tomorrow & sometime the gym wants to take my photo (whilst doing a class) to feature my marathon story - shame they didn't get round to it before the event, but my justgiving page is open for another 3 more months image

• Bluewater will certainly be a good walk! image

Its so cool that your gym are doing a story on you, and hopefully it will generate a bit more cash for your charity too image I used to work on Reception at a gym, they had a big noticeboard with pix of staff and members doing the London Marathon - it was always really nice when they were randomly wished good luck by other members while training image

• J T: Yes, I have already signed up to do the IoW marathon again. This year it will not be 3 marathon's in 3 weeks, but 3 marathon's in 4 weeks, so at least I will get 1 weekends rest this time around. Bring on them hills again. Are you tempted to sign up then?

After not being able to do Brighton due to knee injury, I had my first run today of just over 1 mile. Knee felt ok, so will try and build things up to 5 miles tomorrow. Fingers crossed it also goes fine.

• Hi Jenny

Talking about feet or shoes, before I did the Brighton marathon, I had to cut out a seam from within one of my trainers, which rubbed on the arch of my foot.  Then I had to apply compeed blister plasters to both the arches of my feet, then cover those blister plasters with a larger plaster/strap and then cover my feet with a smear of vaseline.

All in all a right carry on, but after doing the marathon, took my trainers off and not one blister / ache / fallen off toe nail.  So for me, prevention is better than cure and was really pleased that my feet made it round in one piece.

Next project for me is to raise two running teams from work and we are gonna take on the 52 mile challenge in Canterbury in July for the Pilgrims Hospice.  Need between 8-10 people to take part and the plan is for 1 person to complete at least 1 lap at a time, each lap being approx 6.5 miles.  Going to be tough going, as not may runners where I work at present and looks like I might end up doing another 26 miles, but all for a good charity and should be a good team building exercise.

I'm off to get some unwilling victims, AHA

• AHA - Tell them its for their own good - weight loss, obesity epidemic, feeling better etc etc (just don't mention the blisters, shin splints, knee injuries etc etc image)

I only got blisters on the tips of my toes, mainly my little toes. and i taped up with elastoplast wrap plasters on each toe, so i think it could have been worse.  in my arches  I think it was more due to impact.

Didn't it feel a touch yucky & slimey & slippery running with vaseline around your toes?

• Jenny

It is a bit slippery to start with, but after a short while the feeling goes, then I have so many aches and pains elsewhere that I forget about my feet.

I'm trying to encourage all the youngsters to get out and get some fresh air and raise some money for a good cause at the same time.

I think they have an idea what they will be walking like after doing the run, as they have been looking at me for the last 3 days walking around like John Wayne after doing the Brighton marathon.

• Aha it sounds like the challenge will be to get them signed up, the running will be the easy part! image

SR so far I am not tempted by the IOW again...... although amazingly my PB is there - I must have picked up a load of time on the downhills! I think I'm going to focus on shorter up to HM distances until about October to try and get some PB's

I was lucky with my feet, slight soreness but nothing I wouldn't have expected after 26.2 miles.

Busting to go out for a run, have haggled with my legs and got them to agree to saturday instead of sunday image