Bike Carriers

MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
just changed our car from VW Bora with tow-bar so put carrier on that, to Renault megane Scenic MPV which has a hatch back type boot. Is best carrier going to be still on a tow-bar? just checking before paying out. can put roof bars on but bikes are really heavy to lift up . Which is less likely to damage car while relatively easy to attatch? is it worth driving to a bike shop for advice?

Comments

• If you cant fit the bikes in the boot - then I'd go for towbar carrier - out of the wind - less likely to drive into things with them on and easier to lift up.
  • Bike in the back, wife, kids, dogs, MiL on the roof.
  • +1 with Cougs

you already have the carrier so you might as well use that
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Road bikes inside, MTBs on the back, tandems on the roof.
  • MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those replies. LOL. just found out seats come out of the back of the car so may get a bike in. trying to avoid taking wheels off as I am quite rubbish . will get a tow-bar fitted as guess best in the long run. like the hierachy(?)of bikes and kids/OH.
  • Obsessed with bikes, us ? Never .... image

http://all.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/19/sleeping_with_bike_in_tent_while_gi.jpg

• +1 for the towbar option, I have an estate and still have towbar fitted, easier than putting the missus on the roof as well
  • Can I be controversial?

I much prefer the roof racks. If your bikes are too heavy to lift onto the roof of your car, you need new (lighter!) bikes. Or, more likely, you just need to be shown the "right" technique. I can manage my MTB by myself and although I am tallish, I am not enormous. Once its on there, its easy to stabilise and then I climb onto the bottom sill of the door to do the clips up.

Yes, you are less aerodynamic with the bikes on the roof, but you will not persuade me that the towbars are not potentially much more damaging to the bike (I do not like the towbar ones at all) and do you really drive for that many miles that it makes a difference?

You can get up to 4 on the roof easily, and still have quick and easy access to whatever is in your trunk. 

We have a VW Bora with the roof rack. If its an option with your Renault, then I would go for that.

• My winter bike would probably collapse the roof of my car.....
  • You can't keep avoiding taking the tyres off. What happens if you need to change a flat out on a ride/in a race?
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

If you find it difficult to take the wheels off your road bike you need to practise until you can do it.  It can be a long process to learn.  It might take you almost 2 minutes.

I used to get a tandem on the roof of the car on my own.  It's not difficult as long as the rack is near the side, not in the middle of the roof.

• Roof rack for me every time. Pain in the arse not being able to open your boot lid with a rear carrier, unless you have a fancy one that folds out of the way! Tow bars seem really expensive to me too.

I have a Mini with Thule roof bars and 2 Thule carriers. If i'm careful I can squeeze a thin roof box alongside them too (for just light stuff as there is a weight limit). Went to France like this in 2009. No probs. Fuel economy suffered a bit (by about 3mpg I reckon) but not too bad overall. Can also transfer bars onto other cars easily, especially Thule as all you need to swap are the feet which are about £20 online. You also get roof bars for carrying other stuff like a big roof box, bed base from Ikea, new back door, fence panel, you name it!

Choices, choices! If you ever use Eurotunnel though you have to go freight if you have bikes on your roof (or that's what they told me) - when I went to France I did ferry Dover Calais and it was dead easy.

• I saw a porsche turn up to the start of a race once with his race bike sticking out thru the sun roof.
  • Sorry to butt in but I am looking for a bike rack for my Astra hatchback, How good are boot racks? (probs not tow bar - I can't really afford and I would need to buy bar and rack) I had roof bars on my old car and I am not very good at putting things up there, scratched my car a few times with a Kayak and they looked ugly. image

Can anyone reccommend me one that is up to £150, easy to use and will not scratch my car? Thanks

• ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    Roof bars for me (got a Ford S-Max). Only put them on a fortnight ago and was initially quite difficult to get the bikes up there, given it's quite a 'high' car. There is a knack though and once you've got it, it's a doddle. Just get a ladder and some assistance when doing it the first couple of times.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I've got a Halfords boot rack which does the job pretty well.  As long as the straps are all tight it's pretty secure, although I use extra straps to make sure the bikes don't fall off.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the one I've got.  It hasn't scratched any of the cars I've had it on.  The bars are well padded and the clips on the end of the straps are coated in thick rubber so they don't mark the paintwork.  If you do get it I would suggest spending some time making sure it's set up correctly before you need to use it.  It's very adjustable so can take some time to get it in exactly the right position and you don't want to rush it.  I used a pen to mark the clamps when it was in the correct position so it's easy to set up each time.
  • Ah brilliant - Thanks!

Amigo