Two stone off!

Comments

• 7.1lbs? That's fantastic, well done. And the most precise measurement since this thread started....!

Anyone within a 50 mile radius will be able to confirm if I've taken the plunge, i'm not that brave. Good easy run tonight, needed to make up for bad diet day - Euston stations a tough place to wait for an hour whilst hungry.
  • Lol, yes 7.1...... every little helps! Thank you image

Waiting for the marathon I want to do this year to open next week, so excited, how weird is that!!

McD's at Paddington gets me.  Tomorrow is another day & you have run today image

• Well done rfm,

I too didnt have a great day diet-wise but got a good 45min of intense cardio at gym after work so at least that is something. Starting to regain the balance!

Plan another gym session today and will try and eat a wee bit better. McDs is also an all-too-easy option for me when I am out with the kids and want something cheap and quick, try to limit it to no more than one visit a week though (usually pancakes and syrup with a nice coffee for breakfast whilst my wife gets a well-deserved lie-in!)

Have a good day one and all and try and keep or regain the balance!

j

• Well I think I've had about 1 Mcds in 5 years but there are plenty of other temptations, yesterday it was the original cornish pasty place at the train station which got me.

Which marathon are you waiting to enter RFM?
  • Hi all,
    Gym session was good but tired tonight, food choices not great but will try to improve tomorrow...at least that's two days cardio on the trot.
    Keep the momentum going folks, let's keep shedding a few pounds! I plan to weigh myself at the end of the month and any loss at all from the 14st 9lbs I weighed on 22nd will be gratefully received!
    Hope ur all doin ok!
    J
  • Mmmmmmmmmmmmm cornish pasty!

Abingdon on 21st October

J, hope you had a good gym session image

Club run tonight, felt it took ages, but just uploaded and I was quicker than last week. Happy with that

• Cross posts! Glad you had a good session image
  • Well, stopped weighing myself for a while, and foolishly thought the increased mileage would continue the weight loss. Oh no - bit of a shock when I finally stepped on the scales, so a strict couple of weeks for me. A bit galling after the 20 miles on Saturday, but it just goes to show.

Good stuff on Jantastic, I see: back up to the top of the table. Keep it up Jantasticians.
  • It is really difficult to lose weight when training long distances, because the 2500 calories burned crave to be replaced. I have no doubt the lbs will start coming off soon enough, just don't cut back too much before your long runs, you'll need the energy!

Rubbish day yesterday, was working from another site and finally left at 7.15 with a 2 hour drive home. Can hardly face the motorway again this morning, and more importantly am now Jantastically challenged, one run behind schedule.

Abingdon does sound good.

• You can catch up Andy. Dan, a bit with you there. Stuck on a couple of pounds last week and thought "How the heck did taht happen?" Reckon my body is rebelling against the increased exercise and hanging onto the calories. This second stone so much tougher to lose than the first!
  • Hi all, hope you are having a good day. I didn't have a great one yesterday, took a rest from exercise, and then had several drinks last night as it was burns night. Won't get out a run today as snowing . Fustrating!
    Anyway, keep the momentum up and keep working hard!
    J
  • I think you're allowed to have a drink on Burns night under Two Stone off guidelines.... Back on track tonight with a good 6 miles, normally go for a low key hour at the gym on a Friday night, so will slip in an extra run before my long run on Saturday - even longer day yesterday so still have a run to make up.

And you're right Straycelt, it can be long and slow progress. Looks like we're in about 6th place in Jantastic, a good weekend and we'll finish the month in the top 3.
  • Morning all,

what do you all have planned for the weekend? I have a spin class scheduled at lunch time and hope to get out for a light 2 miles this evening to stretch off. Not been working the last few days so ate alot of junk as I was not in my usual routine. A wine and a beer last night but not too much compared with Friday nights when I was young! And never made it out for a run or gym session so not really going to plan.

Anyway, I was thinking of looking at some races as I feel I need something to focus me and train for. I am in the Glasgow area and my last race was the glasgow half in September. Maybe start with a park run then a 10k if anyone has suggestions?

So, need to get back on the training and healthy eating wagon...spin and smoothie, here I come!

have a good weekend folks!

j

• Trying hard to keep the diet in check, and also trying to vary my pace which apparently helps target weight loss. Did a quick 4 miles on the treadmill yesterday, and then an easy pace 10 miles this morning to hit my Jantastic target. Might see if I can get out for an extra easy run tomorrow, following the "recovery run" logic.
  • Well I did my long run early today, 12 miles straight out and back along the canal - really enjoyed it, although yesterdays rain followed by overnight frost left massive frozen puddles on long stretches. My last mile was my quickest which hopefully shows I had something left. Managed the ice bath for about 10 minutes.....

Weigh in this morning showed 1lb off this week, so happy with that. We have our weekly treat tonight, Chinese takeaway, but wont go mad. How did the recovery run go last week Dan? I am tempted to do a short run tomorrow but don't want to push myself too far.
  • Morning

Heavy food weekend, knew it would be, just got to be religious this week and should all be good.  The app I'm logging my weight into had me finishing a week early, so now will be back to the 1st April.

Hubby's birthday weekend.  So lovely pub lunch Friday, with couple pints of Strongbow (oh they tasted so good!!)  followed by Paella Friday night.  Saturday was a Burns night murder mystery dinner party at ours for 9 way too much haggis, cranachan, champagne & whisky consumed.  Sunday involved hangover bacon baps, family over for cake in afternoon.  Exactly the kind of weekend that got me into weight trouble in the first place! Def not going back there!! 

Did 7miles last night, feeling good this morning image

• Andy: havn't got round to the recovery run yet: felt a bit cheeky going out the day after a long run. I suppose today's lunchtime run is really a bit of a recovery run after last night's 7 mile tempo run. Started running at work with a colleague, and the pace is pretty gentle, so should fit the bill.

Running going well: another 20 miler looming on Saturday - just hope I can target the chafing hot spots with the Bodyglide a bit more accurately!

• Yes an extra challenge of the longer runs.... Enjoy the 20 miles, hopefully you're out early before the snow hits. RFM, last weekend sounded great and good to see you getting the miles in.

So I've done my official long run of the week which was only 7 miles due to a 5 mile race this Sunday. 7 miles as a mid week work night run is definitely my longest for a long time so that felt good. Really excited by the race, first since August, whilst I don't think I'll be quick it will be good or me to do a sustained faster paced run than my marathon training.

Weekly weigh in shortly, have been fairly good all week so hoping for positive news... How's everyone else getting on with the healthy eating? Any snow updates?
  • Did 8 last night, so chuffed, really enjoyed it too.  The last mile although not easy, wasn't as hard as the other last miles when I have been increasing.  Don't know why?

Weight wise I'm back to where I was last Friday, so happy with that too image Hope for a small loss by Monday, but at mum-in-law for her b'day lunch tomorrow, may have to do a little one tomorrow night to balance that out! 

Good luck for Sunday Andy!  Dan hope your 20 & bodyglide goes well!

Sunny Swindon has no snow yet!

• 8 miles is fantastic.... You're really getting into some longer miles.

My inlaws live a good 4 miles away, so I often run back if we go for Sunday lunch or something, works well a few hours after a good lunch.

Off to a children's birthday party now, my little girls 4th party in 3 weeks. She has a far better social life than me...
  • Thanks Andy. When running I still keep thinking about where I would have been right now, but it makes me more determined to finish the run. 

Good idea about running back, but hubby will be sharing a whisky or two with his mum, so I will be driver.  Did go out for a 10 mile bike ride with hubby today, so fingers crossed that's enough! 

My daughters are older & birthday parties are now sleepovers, which is great until its their birthdays!!

Well done on your 1lb image

Sent off Abingdon application on Tuesday, so fingers crossed.

• Glad I got my long run in yesterday: 20 miles for the second time, and about 15 minutes quicker than the last one (same route, but without the hurricane of the first). Amazed to check my training plan, and only two more 20 milers left before Brighton. Well, I might sneak one more in - I'll see. Just need to sort the chafing issue! I think it is time to explore alternative undies (surely a early 80s punk outfit?): in terms of muscles etc, my legs felt pretty good after the run, but serious thigh chafing was pretty sore.
  • Fantastic, well done Dan! Ew & ouch on the chaffing image
  • Hi all,
    Finally gettin a chance to post, this hectic family life keeps me busy.!
    Had a heavy weekend where all my good work went out the window I'm afraid,
    But its a new week and I got a 4 mile run yesterday and off to spin today.
    Lost 2lb last week but not confident bout weigh in this Wed.
    My aim is to break the 14 stone barrier before march! (13st 13.5 lbs will do me!)

Anyway , keep up the good work folks and well done on those big runs!
    J
  • Hi Everyone,

Well I haven't been on for a while but in that time my weekly mileage has reached about 40 and I've gained 2lb (whats all that about) I can't say I've been dieting but I thought I was eating reasonably healthily, wasnt worrying too much about the odd chocolate cos I figured I'd burn so many calories my body could cope!
    Now contemplating joining slimming world, if I can get that stone off prior to the Brighton Marathon in 68 days I'd be delighted. I thought the running on its own would do the job, how wrong can you be!

Everyone else seems to be doing great I shall take the inspiration and everytime I feel like something sweet I shall log on an chat to you lot!!
  • Hi Dan,

I'm really panicking now, my training plan only has 1 20miler and that's not until 4th March. Im currently at 15. my plan says 15 again this week then 2 weeks with 18 then just 1 week at 20 then taper.

Will it be enough, I've never done a marathon before so have been following my plan like a bible, perhaps I should have ramped up the mileage sooner. EEK!@!!
  • Sarah, in my view you're doing 100% fine. Most 1st time schedules have 1 20 miler or sometimes slightly less, and at 40 miles a week you're definitely well on track. I'll only do 1 20 mile run before Manchester and am following Hal Higdons plan, which is hightly rated. Dans obviously doing fantastically well, and is on track for a great performance but you don't have to match his miles!

In terms of weight loss, I am a bit boring on this subject, but it is difficult to lose weight and train for marathons because you need the extra fuel to cope with the miles. I'm sure the weight loss will come with the big Feb and March miles, just don't go too mad with any new plan that leaves you short of energy - although I'm sure slimming world is a really well balanced diet.

Rubbish few days for me, snowed out of my race on Sunday and now have a bad chest. Well done Dan on another big run, and good luck RFM with your application, I realise its been hard building up your training.

Apologies Dan for answering a question aimed at you!
  • YES!!!! I'm on the entrants list for Abingdon!!! whoop whoop!!!!! 

• Just seen this thread and i have been on a  weight loss kick and plan to run the paris marathon in the spring.

As of 6th October (when i booked myself onto the paris marathon) I was running 5 miles 2-3 times per week and cycling the same distance 7-8 times, with an occasional mountain biking trip at weekends as well, so fairly fit. I did however weight 84.9kg (i'm 1m73cm for reference)

I've run a marathon before, running it in 4hr36 after a target time of 4 hours went out of the window having run the first half in 1hr 30mins - i got carried away, at that time i was around 77kg.

So since October I stepped up my running to 5 times a week, cut our drinking to maybe 2 nights per month and have cut out all sweets as well as trying to eat healthily as far as possible and replaced breakfast with a protein shake.

As of this morning i weigh 70.1kg, resting HR is 40bpm and am hopefully on target to run a 3.30 marathon.

Just thought i'd post up because A) i've nearly hit my target rate and am pretty proud of myself B) offer encouragement to other on this thread that it can be done.

BTW i'm now running 4 times per week, and have been since december with 3 short distance structured runs (tempo, interval and in the next few weeks will start som hill reps as well) and 1 long run, as i'm keen to avoid over training.... I've gone as far as 22 so far and have a 24 miler in the plan 4 weeks out from the big day.