Options

Two stone off!

Comments

• Options

Nice one Andy - I'm back on the soup thing as well (well, once I've polished off the veggie lasagne left over from last night). 14 miles on Saturday - bit warmer than usual, and a bit of cramp in my left toes (weird, huh?) but better than the last LSR. Relatively gentle running this week, in preparation for another 20 miler on saturday.

Here's a thought - I've been checking my pace on my Runkeeper runs and noticed that my average pace is increasing a bit over the last month. Is this anything to worry about? I've put it down to a higher proportion of mileage now being completed as a long slow run, of 15+ miles.

• Options

Well done on your runs image

What are your soup regimes?  Got stuck with weight, but eating more with the upped miles, really need to pull something out of the bag this week!

Dan I don't know much about running paces etc.  But I know that mine goes up the first time I increase my long run.  I did 12 on Sunday, and will do 12 again for the next 3 weeks, I hope to be a little bit faster each time, well that's the plan! I log the weather conditions on my garmin connect, that makes a difference to my pace, if too windy, raining or frost on ground etc. 

• Options

Soup regimes: for me, the first rule is keep it home-made - lower salt, and much more control over other ingredients.

Secondly, I try (and I emphasise try) to keep to the rule that if the soup contains potatoes, I don't eat bread with it. It must be said that this is not really a rule I stick to too ridgedly to in the later stages of training for a race, but if I am simply trying to shift the bulk, then this really helps.

Third rule: get pulses in as much as possible - unfortunately, they don't agree with my OH, but my daughter absolutely loves them, so I tend to cook lentils separately, and add them to the soup and other meals. Decent low fat protein.

In terms of pacing, I think you are absolutely right to record 'intervening variables' (sorry, I used to teach statistics!). Particularly with long runs, other factors affect performance - this week, it was quite windy, I had been to see a band the night before (stood up for 3 hours or so), and it was a bit warmer. With LSRs, I think factors like this can really affect performance. I'm aiming to do a pseudo-taper this week, and see how the 20 miler goes.

• Options
    Fab, thank you Dan.  How often do you eat it?
  • Options

I'll make a vat once a week, or twice if I'm feeling keen. Different flavourings help keep it interesting (curry powder / chilli etc.). I should point out that this is NOT a faddy diet - just a way of consciously increasing the good stuff (veg, pulses etc.). Cheap as well.

We should start a 'runner's recipe' thread!

• Options

VAT?!!! So lunch & dinner then!!  Love the disclaimer image

Sounds like a great idea, my daughter makes a mean sweet potato, quorn & lentil curry, the thought of that for dinner makes me run home faster!

• Options
    First recipe for the new thread, I reckon. Veggie as well image
  • Options

Will put it here first for you!

The optional bits are things we have added for our taste, originally it was a chicken dish, but changed it as hubby is a veggie.

Ingredients
     4 TBSP Pataks Tikka Masala Curry paste
     1 Bag quorn pieces
     4 Medium sized sweet potatoes
     8 TBSP red split lentils
     2xVeg stock cubes
     2x400ml cans coconut milk
     1 Onion
     Mushrooms (optional)
     Coriander (optional)
     Salt & Pepper to taste
     Crushed chilli’s to taste (optional)

Preparation Method
     Peel and chop the Onions, mushrooms and sweet potato.
     Gently fry the onions, mushrooms and sweet potato for 10mins while soaking the lentils in water.
     After 10 minutes add the quorn and stir in for a 3 minutes.
     Add 2 vegetable stock cubes to 450ml boiling water.
     Add the stock, coconut milk and lentils to the sweet potato.
     Cook until reduced.
     Before serving add the Coriander to taste and keep some by for garnish

• Options

Hi Guys,

well done on the runs folks.....and some good dietery advice too.

Soup, indeed, is a friend of mine! just need to watch the bread we have with it.

this week been ok so far: Monday 4mile steady plus a Spin class, tuesday rest, Wednesday 3 miles hilly, today did a 9miler which is my longest LSR this year. Rest day tomrrow and spin on saturday.

Legs stiff tonight but feeling good and looking forward to a good sleep (if the babies allow!)

Diet been ok this week but could be better (portion sizes need to be controlled!) that is next weeks focus!

Keep up the good work folks!

j

• Options
    Sweet potato and red pepper soup last night (sweat two leeks in a little olive oil, add peel and chunked sweet potato, and stir for a few mins. Add water and a couple of veggie stock cubes, and cook for 20 mins or so. Meanwhile, fry red pepper in a little olive oil until soft. When sweet potato cooked, whizz with hand blender, ensuring it sprays all over the kitchen and you. When smooth, add red pepper, and enough water to get to a good consistency.)

Made it, then went out for a fast 6 miles - thought I was knackered, and could only just persuade myself off the sofa. But when I got outside I thought I would go for it, and ended up with a PB for a 10K route. Fairly chuffed. Got home and was almost too tired to eat any of the soup!

Mate's birthday party tonight, but I will be good. 20 miles tomorrow, then another party (might not be so good then!).

• Options
    How did the 20 miles go? I managed just under 17, very happy with it although found it tough going. Feel on track at the moment, although my weigh in yesterday shows I haven't shifted any weight in the last 3 weeks - i did put on a tiny bit when I was a bit under the weather so at least I've lost that. Still 7lbs to hit target weight at the end of April.

Will definitely have a go at the sweet potato and red pepper in the spirit of Two Stone off teamwork.... Will aim for a smooth consistency covering of the kitchen.

Well done J, looks like you're getting some good miles in.
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I'd like to join this thread too - wish I'd found it sooner!

Not training for a marathon this year - decided to rest for a year and try to get a sensible running pattern back in place.  Had some time out with plantar fasciitis but am back out there now.  Have 17lbs (or there abouts to lose).  Am a SW follower but have a weakness for wine too!

I normally weigh in on a Tuesday and am starting at 11st 10lbs.

Take care all image

• Options

Trigger - welcome aboard, and very open of you declaring weights! SW follower? Sheffield Wednesday?

20 miles again on Sunday - felt OK, but pretty tired afterwards. Need to stretch more, and I wonder if my shoes need replacing - have ordered a pair that was reduced on the Sweatshop website: I'll try and break them in in time for Brighton. A hillier course than my usual 20 miler. I've checked out the hills at Brighton, and really Sussex has little to match Derbyshire with, so I'm not worrying about that aspect.

Foodwise - OK weekend, after all. Just picked up an armful of the first rhubarb I have seen this year, so looking forward to that. Roasted in orange juice + custard. Yum.

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

LOL Dan - Leyton Orient for me not Sheffield Wednesday!

Well done on your 20 miles - the thought of running that far again next year fills me with dread!  Have GNR and Royal Parks HMs scheduled and a few 10ks the first of which is Lee Valley 10k on 20 May.  Am a regular parkrunner too and earned my 50th tshirt on Saturday!

Haven't had rhubarb in years - enjoyimage

• Options

I have a rhubarb phobia, cant go near it... and the thought of whole armfuls of the stuff being out there roaming the countryside?  Terrible thought....  even worse than Broccoli. Or Broad Beans.

Hilly 20 miles Dan, youre well on track though, good stuff.  And hello Trigger, youre in the right place, we've mentioned Parkruns a few times on here unfortunately there are none near me as I'd love to do one reguarly, well done on getting to 50 though!  

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Doh - went to get on the scales last night and the battery was flat image  Must take heed of the warning light earlier!  Hope all is well with everyone.
  • Options
    I'm fine thanks, Achilles is a bit sore which is always a worry, did a shorter run last night though with no reaction. Should be doing 7-8 tonight, so will see how I go. Good couple of healthy eating days too.
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, been off on my travels to New Orleans. Cracking marathon, plodded round in 4.12 and great training for London. Come back to pick up BBC Lent (No beer, bread or chocolate) as these are my weaknesses and still got a stubborn 7lbs to lose to get to target. first stone was so easy. Next 10lbs okayish, but these guys are tough! Big soup fan and I must admit, I do miss the bread, lashings of butter....stop...stop!
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Well done on that time Straycelt and good luck with London.  Those last few lbs are always the most stubborn image
  • Options
    New Orleans, wow, well done, and hope you enjoyed the trip. And I thought I was living it up going racing overnight in Blackpool... Oh ok, maybe not.

Weekly weigh in and nothing lost, which is frustrating. Slightly struggling to maintain a balance at weekends after my long run, I just feel so hungry! But I'll keep going, I've lost so much and as you say Trigger its the last few lbs that are tough.

So what are everyone's running plans this weekend?
  • Options
    Thanks Trigger, your earlier post mentioning park runs reminded me to check if there were any new ones close to me, and there is! Every Saturday at 9, too late for today obviously and need to plan it around my long runs, but look forward to having a go. Looks quite small at the moment, last week 27 people did it.
  • Options
    Hi all, sounds like most having a good week!
    I did ten miles on Thursday after 2 rest days as I felt my body needed it...felt fine after the 10 milder but still rested yesterday. Spin today and then a short evening run tomorrow to end the week.
    Good luck to all for a healthy weekend!

J
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!  Just back from my parkrun and reckon I was a little faster than last week so am happy about that!  Shopping gets delivered tomorrow so will have a battery to put in the scales at last!  Ran just over 4.5 miles on Tuesday and will be out there again for more of the same.  Am starting out on Hal Higdon's 10k novice training plan.  I'm not a novice but am scared of the longer distances in the intermediate plan at the mo!

Good luck with the parkrun next week Andy - our run (Grovelands) averages around 60 a week and there are some friendly people there.

Have a good weekend allimage

• Options
    I'm following Hal Hugdons marathon plan, I think they're generally pretty good. Managed my 18 miles yesterday, really struggled and was in parts at the end, as I am this morning! But that's anorher big one chalked off at least.... My wife's reaction as I crumbled on to the bottom stair at the end was 'why are you putting yourself through this', not entirely motivational but I could see whet she was coming from.
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Not a good evening for me image  The weekly shop arrived including the new battery for the bathroom scales.  12st which is only 10lbs lighter than my heaviest when I was extremely unhappy.  Am feeling a bit deflated at the mo.

I've followed HH plans for my marathons andy and think they're the best.  They certainly fit in with my lifestyle.  Not many more "big ones" before the big day - hang on in there.

• Options

Andy - well, its done, and it will be better next time. Did you use any gels or sports drinks on the run?

Trigger - I bet part of the issue is that you felt much better than the 10lbs would suggest. Which is probably a better way of judging progress: you will be considerably fitter, and more 'toned'.

15 miles for me yesterday. I appear to be as tired after 15 as I am after 20 - probably went out a bit faster. Not sure I am going to hit the 2 hours for the Wilmslow Half in a couple of weeks, but not going to worry about that too much: Brighton is the real target.

• Options
    My belt holds 2 bottles, i use the big one for water and the smaller one for a sports drink - just switched to Gatorade as they'll be using that at Manchester. Probably need to have something else, but try and avoid gels as they can affect my stomach, and I had a few problems with that yesterday anyway.

It didn't help that I had to head out for my run at 4pm, prefer my 8am starts especially after my recent conversion to porridge....

Definitely agree with Dans toning comments Trigger, dont just use pure weight as a benchmark, I'm sure if you were feeling more positive then it's because your clothes fit that bit better.... ! I'm sure the lbs will follow soon enough. And youre right about the big ones, that reminded me to check, just 2 to go.

• Options
    Hi all,
    Well done on the big run Andy, I can relate to your wifes position; I am in that situation a lot...I run myself into the ground to 'get fit' but all my family get sometimes is a tired grouchy and sore man ! On the whole though it is worth it for that feeling after a race, or a pb or a good loss on the scales!
    Keep it going guys!
    Anyway, I did steady 4 miles yesterday, planning a 12 miler on Thursday after a 10 mile and a 9 mile run in the last 2 weeks. Maybe fit a bit of gym or swim on today or tomorrowi
    Have a good day!
    J
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Wow J I feel exhausted just reading that!  Off out later for a hill rep session - local park has a beast of a hill that parkrun includes 3 times in its 5k course.  Determined to master it one way or another!