Two stone off!

Comments

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    3 HMs a week Straycelt - I think I'd rather stick with a few jiggly bits!  2lbs off for me this week leaving 17 to go.  image
  • Well done Straycelt!

3 half marathons a week would be tough, my pal Phil has just completed his 8th in 8 days as part of a charity challenge, and now has 4 left. I'm going to try and join him again on Saturday and combine it with my long run. His problem is to make sure he's eating the increased amount of calories needed to keep him going, which sounds enjoyable at first, but still needs discipline.

Incidentally if anyone's on twitter and wants to send him a good luck message he'll really appreciate it and can be tracked downs at 6townsrunner. Little things like that keep him going,

Everyone looking forward to the Easter weekend, any plans? Races?
  • Well, I'm clearly obsessed: I had an incredibly vivid dream last night.

Dreamt I was making my way to the start of the Brighton marathon, when I realised I had forgotten to pick up my number from the expo the day before. Rushed to the expo (which was apparently open on the day of the race), and was asked to look through a file of remaining numbers. Saw mine, but simply couldn't pick it out of the file. Someone else got it to me, but I kept on losing it. Eventually got it pinned to my chest, but meanwhile the race had started, and I had to run to the start, back against the tide of humanity heading towards me. Not sure what time I did!

Not sure falling asleep listening to the Marathon Talk podcast is such a good idea!

• Its definitely getting to you....   its really strange how simple things like picking up a number and pinning it becomes almost impossible in a dream...

I guess its also odd how we say things like 'its my dream to run a Marathon sub 3 hours' when in fact dreams normally involve not getting to start lines, falling flat on our faces, trying to run but being stuck to the ground etc etc...

Are you still planning on marshall volunteering for Manchester by the way?  

• I am - but slightly concerned that the training events they had scheduled for this week have been cancelled. They reckon they can train everyone on the day! I'm going to be marshalling around the mid-point, but I've not been told yet exactly where. Hopefully the concerns voiced on the dedicated Manchester marathon forum isn't the sign of wider organisational problems!

• I hope not, I've pretty much left that thread alone though because some people were getting a bit wound up.  Getting through the training plan fit and healthy, and managing my troubled achilles is my main concern, not the regsitration times, costs of sending out race packs Registered Post and whether that means you get a goodie bag!

As long as someone can point me in the right direction and hand me a water bottle every few miles i should be ok.  Thinking about it though, organising marshalls must be a massive logistical exercise - good to hear that you're still planning on going.

• Quiet here this week.... Just came on to say a massive Good Luck to Dan running the Brighton marathon tomorrow, hope you enjoy it!
  • Cheers Andy - it was fantastic (well mostly). Heartily recommend the Brighton marathon. Well organised, superbly supported, and a reasonably gentle route: any climbs are really well out of the way by 9 miles. In fact, at the second corner of the race, at about half a mile, I suppose, you run under a banner which says "All downhill from here. You are at the highest point of the course" (though I'm not sure the first half of the statement is strictly true!).

I was really nervous at the start, but once in to the race, I focussed on enjoying it, and running my own race: not too worried about pace (in fact, probably went a bit too fast early on, but nothing drastic). Kept pretty smooth until probably 23 miles - the route goes through the only really 'dull' bit - an old industrial area - and then there is a tiny incline (I mean about 10 yards or so, and gently upwards) up to the boardwalk, and that caused my right calf to cramp up. I stretched it against a barrier, but I'm not sure that was necessarily the best thing to do: really difficult to get going after that. Resolved not to stop again, and made it through the last 3 miles. Cramped up again as I got my massage from the NSPCC support people (angels!), and also got good advice (salty snack, which I knew about, and (non-diet) tonic water, which I didn't). Sorted me out, and no more cramp!

Recovery seems to be going well: the owner of the Italian restaurant we went to in the evening didn't believe me that I had run the race that day! Going to try for a swim tomorrow, and maybe a short run on Thursday. Then shifting to 10K training for the Great Manchester Run (20th May), and the K-SWISS Manchester 10K (24th June). Oh, and trying to focus a bit more on diet again!

• Well done, you must be so pleased with yourself. Officially a marathon runner. Big congratulations - I know I'm stating the obvious again but this thread was theoretically about losing 2 stone by April 2012 and running a marathon, so you're the 1st person to do that....! Hopefully I'll be the 2nd.

It hardly matters but out of interest what time did you manage?

Good plan about switching to 10ks, less pressure and good chance to build some speed after all the long runs.
  • 4:32:44 apparently. Already eying up the next big one though!

Hadn't thought about the "1st person" bit - like it!
  • That's really good, I'll be ecstatic with 4 hours 'something' next week.

Great that youre already looking at the next one, so many people say never again. So are you able to reveal what youre eying up then?
  • Manchester next year (almost definitely), and then maybe Amsterdam. Might do the Great Scottish Run in September (half-mara in Glasgow) - I like to do one race a year in Scotland.
  • Dan I'm so sorry I didn't wish you luck, not that you needed it. Well done Marathon Runner! image

We went away for the weekend camping just me & OH, we walked up Pen y Fan, prob put my start back to running back by another week, but hey ho.  Got sports massage on Friday so hope for some good news.

Good Luck Andy!

• Excellent we'll have to see what Manchesters like, must admit the pack they've put together is brilliant, raised my excitement (and fear levels...) a fair few notches.

Always liked the idea of a marathon abroad, but slightly put off places like New York by the prospect of not being able to enjoy sights due to complete exhaustion and a long flight - although obviously Amsterdam doesn't have that problem. Ironically my wife and little girl miss my Manchester run due to a wedding in Holland, they'll be flying back from Amsterdam just after I hopefully finish (at least she says it's a wedding.... ) .

Rubbish diet week, had a cold so ate to help fight it off. And it is my taper so I have to eat well....

• Andy - have you picked up on the steps at 25 miles (I kid you not). Worth bearing it in mind, though not a lot you can do about it. Also, if you haven't picked up from the other thread, the tram from Bury to the city centre isn't running on Sunday, but I doubt it will impact on you.

Lets us know what you're wearing, and what pace you reckon you'll be doing: I'll look out for you!

So, Amsterdam next year it is..... anyone else up for it? image
  • Steps!!!!!!!! 25 miles??????
  • Caught up now on a few days posts on the Manchester forum. I guess that adds to the fun in a strange way, i think it's fantastic that someones made a YouTube video... ! Will look at that when i get home.

Because of family being away I've got a room at the old trafford cricket ground hotel, right by the start and will go up on Saturday night. Haven't quite settled on gear yet but will let you know... Probably my charity running vest even though I'm only doing a tiny fundraise.. And I plan to stalk the 4.45 pacer!

Very excited!

• Right - I'll let you know where I'm marshalling (when I know!), and look out for the pacer. I reckon it will be the tail end of the race, though. I'll bring some jelly babies!

• (There's only one Old Trafford, and that IS the cricket ground). Anything else similar is actually called Old Fatturd.
  • I guess this thread should officially be retired in about 4 days time....!

So.... My Manchester marathon plan for me is confirmed to run with the 4.45 pacers as long as possible, if I fall back 18-20m onwards then I still have a chance to get under 5 which is my target. But if it's over 5, well that's not a problem, finishings good.

I have a really very bright Orange Adidas running top. And hopefully my name on number, so will look out for any waving Marshalls.

How's everyone else??????
  • I've actually been allocated to a fairly early stage of the race now: between 3.5 and 5 miles. I will look out for an orange top!

I reckon sticking to a pacer is a good idea: I couldn't find mine at Brighton - the corral was absolutely jam packed. As a result (probably) I started a little too quickly - the problem is at the time, it felt fine, but at 23 miles I was regretting it. So start slowly!

Other tips: split it up into 5 mile runs: I took a gel at the end of every one, and it was something to look forward to! And get yourself a mantra - my son came up with "I am Dan, and I can" - that said, be careful with rhymes for 'Andy'!

Enjoy - I (along with all the marshals) will be wearing every waterproof piece of clothing I own. Given the forecast, I reckon all bets are off with times - just aim for the finish. GOOD LUCK ANDY!!!
  • Brilliant, thanks Dan, great pep talk. I'll be very disappointed if I'm not still with the pacer at 5m obviously so should be easy to spot! I'd done exactly that at work yesterday with the 5m splits, sat there messing around with my spreadsheets - part of my personal development and training obviously....!

Will compose a mantra on my way to work now....
  • 5 hours 13, in the circumstances I'm not too disappointed even if it was outside target. Still a PB I guess.

Great to meet you Dan and thank you so much for coming out to Marshall, the support was amazing given the weather! Was heading for just under 5 hours until the wheels seriously came off at 22m.

Will enjoy my chicken kebab and fries tonight.
  • I reckon there was half to three quarters of an hour in that weather. That is a properly good time, and hearty congratulations. You should get an extra medal. We need to run one together! (Amsterdam next year?)

As I have said on the GMM thread, I feel worse now having marshalled an event, than having run it!

How was the organisation from a runner's point of view?
  • To be honest I don't expect much, and was also prepared to allow some teething issues as a 1st marathon. The weather was hardly their fault, but the baggage area was just terrible. No way big enough and they just lost control. About 15 minutes before the start they just told the 1/2 mile queue to just leave everything on the ground, and so many people abandoned their retrieval after. We were all frozen and just wanted warm clothes at the end.

The support was incredible given the weather, and the small communities who came out at various points should be so proud. If the weather had been better the start and finish would have been really good, they'd made an effort to create a village. I'd definitely recommend it next year if they can just sort the basic flaws! What was the organisation like from your side of the barrier?
  • Well, some teething problems - they need properly signposted diversions, and a pre-race meeting to brief marshals, rather than expecting them to learn on the day what they are supposed to do: I had to rely on some 15 year old memories of when I used to live just along from Longford Park, but many marshals had no idea where to direct people. The abiding memory (apart from the weather!) was the incredible rudeness of some of the drivers!

I think the baggage retrieval is clearly going to come up - its really unforgivable: at Brighton, they had to move the bags from the start to the finish, so here it should have been pretty simple as nothing had to move. Hopefully lessons will be learned.

Well done, again - if you're anything like me, you're buzzing: I didn't get to sleep for hours, even though I usually flake out about half an hour after a long run!
  • It doesnt surprise me that it was slightly chaotic.... You could tell at the start that it was all well meaning but very adhoc. I was chatting to a guy before the start who'd volunteered at Brighton and ended up on Baggage and he said even that was stressful.

Anyway well done again to you as well, and having just chatted to OH her eyes lit up when I mentioned Amsterdam. She's just arrived home with our little girl from the wedding in Holland and loved it. Dutch weddings are very generous, free bars are custom and she's been wined and dined the whole weekend. A bit of a contrast to me.

Definitely buzzing, just ordered takeaway and no work tomorrow so a glass of wine and definitely sit up for an hour.
  • Well I guess this thread is now in semi retirement with it being May, but having achieved the goal to lose 2 stone and run another marathon by April it's been a great support over the last year, thank you to everyone's whos contributed. Be great still to hear how the regulars like Running4me, Grant, Straycelt, J and Trigger are getting on, but will look out for you all elsewhere too. And Dan, my plan is now probably Chester 2012 and dependent on places London / Amsterdam 2013!
  • Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Another this year - impressive. I have to say that I am finding running a bit harder at the moment: motivation is fine, but just seem to be a little slower than pre-marathon. I guess I might just be a bit tired, and/or setting my targets a bit high. Definitely want a PB at the Great Manchester Run - just have to decide what form of City shirt I wear while running past Old Trafford!!!