Two stone off!

Comments

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    dr fish, apologies! was trying.g to keep abreast of all the posts yesterday and guess i assumed wrong! no offence meant
    your so so true mr spoons.. if its there then you eat it, although this lastf ew weeks I've had more will power. the ben and jerries ice cream is still in the freezer and the rather tasty lindt easter egg is still in tact too!

thought id share a receipe with you... pyrex dish full of spinach and sliced leeks. drop ontop a decent size salmon steak. drizzle with lemon juice, olive oil and garlic and bake. unbelievably tasty and very healthy. its a gillian Mc keith effort.
  • Nice recipe Mr F and quick and easy too for lazy chefs like me.

Top tip of the day: I bought a big bag of apples and a bag of bananas on the way to work this morning. They are sitting on my desk and my rule is I can snack as much as I like all day long, but only on fruit and veg!
  • this may sound daft - but try backward running as it burns third more calories than forward running.  there's a thread on general forum about the benefits...

• grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Afternoon all! image

I too want to lose in the order of 4 to 5 stone by end of the year. Hard to pick a target weight as I have been overweight ever since I can remember! Start weight was 17st10lb, weigh-ins every Saturday.

I have started the Couch to 5k running programme supplemented with cycling / swimming when I can. I have cut out a lot of crap in my diet too, so much so I am probably not eating enough for my weight. However, two weeks into my programme and I have shed 5 pounds and find myself looking forward to going out for a run where in the past I would have done anything to avoid exercise. I suspect a fall is waiting just around the corner though so would love to join in with this thread as reading the posts so far has been a great motivator!

g

• Join in the fun Grant and good luck!
  • No offence taken Mr F.

And thanks all for the welcome.

Andy_w - I am doing Stroud in October (I hope!)

Cycling tomorrow as well - 24 mile round trip. Should be good in this sunshine.

• Backward running.... I have no doubt that there are benefits but I have enough problems moving in the forward direction without falling flat on my face. Perhaps I should read the thread because I have so many questions going through my mind and I'm sure you'd think I was being flippant if I asked them...

Hello Grant, welcome and dont try and do too much too soon, enjoy the cycling Dr fish. Very healthy eating day yesterday, will try and keep that going. Do we get a top tip from Mr Spoons today?
  • grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Morning Andy. I too am intrigued by the backwards running, not enough to try it quite yet mind you, sorry reverserunner!

Went on a quick 3.6 mile loop on my bike this morning before work, down to the beach and along the esplanade. What a glorious morning, it's not too hard to get out of bed early on a day like this! Hope your cycle goes well Dr Fish.

• I was good with the calories in yesterday, but calories out went wrong. I didn't manage to run or do anything in fact due to various stuff and nonsense. image

Tip of the day: When hungry, drink a pint of water and wait 15 minutes before eating. Usually hunger is in fact thirst!
  • grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Mr Spoons wrote (see)
    Tip of the day: When hungry, drink a pint of water and wait 15 minutes before eating. Usually hunger is in fact thirst!
    Interesting! Does it have to be water? image
  • Beer works fine too image
  • .......with a bag of pork scratchings
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    good tip mr spoons!!

having a team chinese meal tonight in work that I'm gonna have to partake in, so going to need to go for the healthiest avoiding fried rice etc. I'm thinking something vegetative and boiled rice based? a pretty good day yesterday but nights really doesmess things up. 4 days off from tomorrow so able to.crack on, and hopefully the eight in should see me under 13 stone fingers crossed!

welcome grant, good luck with your target. stick around for tips on football, pork scratchings and ale! (once read in RW that pint for pint guinness has less alories that Orange squash?)

struggling to run too much due to lack of time, but move location at work next week from 29m away to 13 so having just brought.some fancy slick tyres for the mountain bike I'm hoping to be cycling a fair bit which should keep me active.when no time.for a run.

still no events booked in, so need to pullme Finger out there and get something to focus on
  • In under 2 weeks we've already had a collectively good weight loss and yet are still the only weight loss thread recommending pork scratchings and Guinness. The 2 must be connected surely? This is scientific evidence we're collating.....!

I'm less convinced that anyone will accept football tips from a Coventry, west ham or torquay fan.

I now go for chicken, Ginger and spring onion with boiled rice. Haven't a clue if it's more healthy but it looks like it might be.

• Which esplanade are you referring to grant? I do really miss my coastal runs from my seaside days......
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    chicken, boiled rice and ginger it is! sounds good!
  • grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Andy - I am in Broughty Ferry, a former fishing village near Dundee. It has a lovely long sandy beach and esplanade, well worth a visit if you're up this way!

Mr F - Thanks for the welcome! The only football tip I need is how to stay out of administration! Dundee FC would be in the SPL by now if it wasn't for the 25 point deductions dished out by the SFA.

Made it out for a 2 mile walk/jog burst this morning, felt good although my shins do feel a little sore. I guess it's only natural to feel the strain a bit with the extra weight and not having exercised properly for a couple of years, hope it doesn't turn into anything more serious. image

• Wedding anniversary last night = steak and chips + cheesecake + no running. image

Swim club this morning - 2.5km before breakfast image
  • Morning all

Welcome Grant, good two miles this morning mate, couldn't live much further away from the coast than where I'm located, so talk of the seaside makes me envious!

Two day shifts at work behind me, two nights shifts ahead image, not had a great couple of days, managed to stay off the alcohol but did have a couple of fried eggs and beans for breakfast at work yesterday. Average weight over the last week has been 12st 6lb, so have lost a bit.

Off to the physio this morning as I'm still struggling with this Achilles problem, suppose I'll be told to rest (which I know is the sensible thing to do), but would really like to do a small amount of running. Better dust the rowing machine off!

• grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Hi Popps,

Sorry to hear about your Achilles mate, nothing worse than an injury holding you back when you're keen to crack on. And well done on the weight loss and don't worry about the eggs and beans so long as you enjoyed them! At least that is my mentality. image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons, happy anniversary. Sounds like a mean feast there, very tasty!

My chinese went down well, opted for the mix veg with cashews and boiled rice. Actually tasty too!

Popps, hope the achillies is on the mend and that the physio didnt burn too big a hold in your back pocket! sounds ike you do the same shift pattern as me? Saying that Ive now come off 4 on 4 off and start a totally hideous new pattern on Monday. Working shorter days, but more of them, but not full nights . Whether I get more free time to  train I dont know, but at least with the lighter nights upon us night running is a lot easier.

Well done on some positive weight loss people, hopefully the next time I hit the wii balance board the annoying little fella on the tv screen with come up with 12st something! Healthy day today, not felt like eating too much as not slept after nights. Didnt finish until 9am so after a trawl home I got home just in time for Mrs f F to go to work so Ive had the pleaseure of my 20mth old all day.

meal of the day? Tuna and salsa.....

home made salsa made up of chopped red pepper, red onion, 1 beef tomato. Add to that a tin of drained black eye beans. Mix together with a bit of dried corriander and olive oil. Whack it on a plate and then top it off with a griled tuna steak. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

• And that does sound very good too...

Spent the day up in rainy Leeds so quite a drive home.... Normally this prompts me to eat biscuits, crisps or chocolate on the way back but instead opted for mr spoons unbeatable bottle of water. Did the WIi weigh in this morning and its going in the right direction but the formal weigh in I'll leave to Saturday.

Careful with Achilles popps, I had Achilles tendinitis last year doing a bit too much after the problem first developed, so the resting option unfortunately might be the best idea. Hope it turns out to be nothing.
  • Calories in have been mostly good today. Calories burned were good too. Swim + tempo run + weights.
  • grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Well done andy, the magic water trick strikes again! And well done mr spoons and mr f, not quite so good here, a cheeky half a bottle of lager with a home made curry was a bit naughty but pretty happy with day. Avoided cakes in the kitchen in the office which is unheard of for me!

Rest day for me tomorrow, my legs really need it too. Looking forward to getting out for a run on Saturday morning and then picking up a new bike from Halfords in the pm. Rain forecast though. image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    whats a cheeky bottle of lager among friends Grant?

nice.going me spoons, a far more active day thanihat had!

Grant, what bike have you gone for? Halfords are pretty good nowadays, i brought myself a boardman mountain bike last year. have just put some.continental fighter semi-slicks on it, and its fantastic on the road. rolling restistance is really good.
    very good breakfast today.. chopped strawberries and blueberries in Total fat free Greek yogurt.
    have a good day all!
  • grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Haha exactly! I dragged my missus down with me though, she shared the bottle with me and as a consequence skipped her evening run. Not that she was complaining!

I bought a decent hybrid from Halfords a couple of years ago for commuting and have had repeated flat tyre problems with no visible reason. It may not be this but I have put it down to my weight and so it is sitting in my bike shed gathering dust until I have dropped at least 2 or 3 stone. I have therefore gone for one of Halford's cheaper mountain bikes (Apollo Slant) which on inspection seemed to have good quality parts.

A good breakfast indeed, that is one of my favourites! Wholemeal bagel with scrambled egg for me. I find that I really need a hearty breakfast or I will be tempted by the snacks on offer in the office although with a drawerful of healthy snacks that is not such a big problem anymore!

Are you heading out for a run later? Atrocious weather here and forecast to continue tomorrow. Cause I am new to this, have yet to go out in the rain. Warm bed or cold and wet out.... that's a true test!

• I always have porridge for breakfast. I'll try and run later but it looks like I might be late at work so we'll see....
  • Evening all

Achilles Tendonitis it is, physio has given me a few exercises to do, rest a few days and then just slow 2/3 miles runs and see how it feels, back to physio again next week. The only plus side to this is the fact I don't have to pay for it, four free physio sessions a year paid for by work, so any pounds I may be losing won't be coming out of my wallet!

Weighed in at 12st 4lb this morning, the lowest figure yet, realise that weight can fluctuate quite a bit but have to see this as a positive!

Talk of mountain bikes is getting me wondering.................?????????

Well off to work again, long day tomorrow, in from work about 7am, three hours kip and then up at 10am to catch train to London. Blackburn at home, must win game image, have a good weekend folks and remember, be good!!!!!! 

• Sorry to hear that popps, look after it and don't do too much, hope you get those 3 points.

Really bad day for me, for all kinds of reasons which I won't bore you with, and letting myself down with bad food didn't help. Anyway it's Friday night, I'm home and it was lovely to see wife and little girl. Will sneak out for a run when she goes to bed (as in my daughter not my wife) and then try not to drink any wine or beer!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    hope your day got better andy, nothing better than a good run after scrap day to clear the mind. image