Options

Two stone off!

Comments

• Options
    Oops. No training yesterday. A pint of beer, a cheese sandwich and half a chocolate bar. 1 pound gained image
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

More reason to get out today and put in the miles Mr Spoons!

Just back from final week 4 workout of the C25K regime, felt good. Weekly weigh-in today, lost a pound, long, long way to go though!

• Options
    Well done grant, just had my weekly weigh in and lost 1lb too, which is 5lb since I joined this thread and 7lb in total. Really pleased given the parties, hotel stay and nights out that I've had this week - normally I'd have gained!

Have a great weekend all - anyone got a race / event planned?
  • Options
    Well done guys

I'm just back from a 17 mile run. Rather than gels I had a mars bar half way round image

Gardening this afternoon image swimming gala this evening.
  • Options
    The calorie counter app I've downloaded is proving really useful, I know it seems a bit obsessive but it really helps understand the calorie and fat content of different foods and it has an exercise calorie calculator too. Never thought I'd have the discipline but I really recommend it. Longish run later for me, will take my small radio and listen to footie whilst I'm out.
  • Options
    What's it called Andy?

I've eaten LOADS today.
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Went for 4 mile cycle (quite hilly) with my 3 year old on the back of my bike, felt very good. BBQ on Sunday, ate a fair bit but all the good things and limited myself to a couple of alcohol free beers and a glass of wine. Sneaky midweek weigh-in this morning and I am under 17 stone again (albeit just)! image
  • Options

Mr S and all. 

How do you get back on track after veering off the straight and narrow? By that, I mean every now and again I treat myself to a night on the beer, take away, chocolate etc.

However, the next day or two I feel I've got to over compensate by eating much less (to pay back the excess calories) and I avoid weighing until I think I've burned off any excess.

Does anyone else do this?

• Options
    How very timely WR.

I myself have veered off the straight and narrow over the weekend. This is a common theme in my life. I am really good all week, lose a few pounds, eat and drink loads over the weekend and put them back on again. Part of my problem is I do a long run on a Saturday morning and then tell myself I deserve it. Then when I start drinking beer it all goes completely pear shaped. Yesterday I did no exercise and ate and drank loads. I am now back to where I was last Monday image

What to do now? The same as I do most Monday mornings. Start again eating properly and running loads. This is why I like a daily weigh-in. You can see my weight go down on tue/wed/thu/fri by 1 pound a day and then sat/sun/mon back up again.
  • Options

Thanks Mr S. 

Nice to hear it's not just me!  Did Great Manchester Run yesterday and scoffed/drank all yesterday evening.  

I'll try and eat/train normally and weigh in a couple of days!

• Options

I am overweight (there no longer in denial) currently weigh 92kg at 5' 9'' so BMI is around 30. I can either lose weight or grow taller to get BMI back below 25.

Have just started running again, about 3 times per week, total weekly mileage 20 miles which I will try to build to 30 miles by end of July. Also going to give up drinking and eating chocolate, bisquits and cake in the evening. Will keep you posted of my progress.

• Options
    Welcome Robert image
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Welcome Robert! I have never really thought much about BMI. I just found a calculator online and I am officially obese (BMI of 32.9). image My target for Christmas, picked without much scientific thought, is bang on the BMI = 25 threshold so will be very happy if I hit that!
  • Options
    Mr spoons, the app I use is called Calorie Counter by fatsecret, took me a bit of getting used to, but now I have my most eaten foods loaded in and worked out how to adjust the quantities it doesn't take long. I'm sure there are other apps which are as good.

One thing it has shows clearly is the positive effect of exercise on calorie burning and therefore I quite happily treated myself to a glass of wine last night knowing that calories burned off were still far greater than those consumed. If you do start using one I'd be interested in your view on whether you think they're reliable, as I know you're knowledgable on this type of thing!

Welcome Robert and if popps is lurking, sorry about the news....
  • Options

Thanks andy_w and indeed, welcome Robert and WelshRunner!

Not been a great week for me, achilles problem has meant I've had to stop running completely, just doing some swimming and some weights but did weigh in at 12st 3lb Sunday morning, so things aren't all bad news.

As for the football, was at Wigan on Sunday to see us down, feel a bit down myself today, I know it's only a game and there's many things in life more important, but when you invest all that time and hard earned money over a season, not matter how much you pretend it doesn't hurt, it does.

Anyway glad to hear things are going well for most on here, keep shedding those pounds folks!!!! 

• Options
    Quiet on here today.

I hope that doesn't mean everyone is stuffing their faces with pizza image

I've downloaded the calorie counter app but have not yet played with it.

I have been good again yesterday and today.
  • Options
    It is, are you around MrF or are those new shifts getting in the way still?

I've been very good so far today with a tuna salad for lunch and will be slipping out for a run once little one is bathed and in bed.

My running book says that for every 1% of body weight lost as part of a controlled diet towards an optimum weight, our running capacity / target times should improve by 1%. if true that's a good way of converting excess weight loss directly into seconds and minute running times. Maybe it's an obvious comparison but I'd never directly thought of it like that.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    hey all! smashed iPhone sat night, no broadband at home. BLOODY CRAP BT!

new phone on way, normal service will be resumed shortly!
  • Options

Bad couple of days - yikes!  image

Back on track tomorrow..........................promise!! 

• Options
    Ouch. My worst iPhone disaster involved my wifes phone and a canal. It's a long story.....
  • Options
    IPhones and canals don't mix....

I investigated one of those get so much faster when you lose this much weight things. I worked out if I could get down to sub 6 stone I could win the 2012 olympics marathon image
  • Options
    Well in my defence I didn't drop it directly into the canal, that would have been daft - it was in my wifes handbag at the time...

No run tonight, recovery day and need to resist building back up too quickly. Don't want the physio to shout at me when I go back next week.

How's everyone else getting on today / this week?
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Evening all! Been a busy few days for me including working away today (I was down a mine, very exciting, usually stuck in front of a computer all day) so none of my usual foruming.

I am still being exceedingly restrained with food which is surprising everyone I know including myself. Went out for a meal with my wife and kids and I had a gammon steak with pineapple, a few chips (rest went to 3 year old) and a glass of wine. In the past I would have had a couple of pints at least, a side of onion rings or garlic bread or something and a pud! Out for run onTuesday and 4 miles burst on the bike tonight. Feeling pretty chuffed with myself!

Well done all the good ones (Andy and Mr Spoons specifically!) and hope your recovery day went well Andy. As for you WelshRunner..... hope you're back on track! image

• Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Ran the BUPA Manchester 10K on Sunday and beat the hour (a first for me) - fairly chuffed, as it was only a week after my first half marathon. Blood pressure down a bit (v important for me!) and weight down a bit as well.

Looking forward - booked a place on the City of Manchester 10K - much nicer to run out from Eastlands, rather than past Old Fatturd! Also considering the Aviemore Half-marathon in October: anyone up for it?

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Hi Dan. Aviemore half marathon sounds v interesting but probably comes about 6 months too early for me. Next year!
  • Options
    Well done Dan, another milestone...! I'm looking for a different event around then as we're going away for my birthday and I'm allowed to combine it with a race. Just looked at the aviemore website, looks really great... it goes on my shortlist although practicalities may mean we have to go somewhere closer.

Have you any other races coming up?
  • Options
    Day off running for me today. Did an hour's yoga. Eaten sensibly.

I'm poolside at 6am tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forgot to take my carefully prepared salad lunch to work with me, so had soup late morning and ate the salad when I got home. Out for run when MrsW gets home from work. How was the swim MrSpoons?
  • Options

Finally back on track!  Weighing helped, which shocked me into getting back on track (put on 6lbs in three days!) - yikes image

Well done Grant on restraining on your meal out - this is always where I struggle!

Llanelli 10k next for me mid June. 

• Options
    Been good again today image

104 lengths this morning. 6 mile tempo run + weights + core this evening.

There were cakes and doughnuts at work today and I didn't have any image