Thames Path 100

Comments

• I agree about the night sections. Worry about that nearer the time. There's plenty of winter before the race where night running is essential (at least if, like me, you live in the middle of the country). Head torches are worth investigating rather than just popping down to a camping shop. Many are not bright enough - need at least 70 Lumens, but some of the really bright ones use up batteries very quickly - 2 hrs or less. Also some are heavier than others. Having now recovered from WHW, will be back to running gently this weekend. No big races till August so ease back in. Last long race of 2011 will be in October then I'm starting to think about how to reach peak milage in mid-winter (February) in Scotland in time for the TP100.

• MR F the High peak 40 website could be better yes, i thought that as well, the race is about 19pound me thinks although i have slept since then.

Hillheader what would a Peak mileage week look like for you in february. i`m trying to get a few different perspectives on how Normal runners train for a 100miler.

cheers take care.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Just had the high peak info emailled now. Think IL enter, nice course and good distance!
  • Hi all.

I'm doing the High Peaks 40 too, and thinking of entering this as my first 100 - if I'm brave enough.

I note Hillheader put that this is at the perfect time of year - is that due to temperature, as it strikes me that it may still be quite chilly with a long night?

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Rich, I did the Thames path 50 a few years ago, that was mid January! I think march is ideal for a 100. Is opt for a change of clothes at the 50mile checkpoint into a baselayer and ronhills to get through the night. Even quick walking keeps you warm, but this gloves and hat might be needed!
  • Thanks Mr F.

very tempting.....Mrs R already thinks I'm crazy (have a 2013 MdS) place so she'll hopefully just see this as proof!

• Mr R, Well done on 2013 MdS - talk about forward planning!

I have a real problem. Been told by Mrs HH that I shouldn't ever do the WHW again, never mind next year. Wondering, if she'll accept an "easier" race and not having to support me? How does one approach the subject? Its so hard to explain the lure of such events when all she sees is the long hours of training and the pain associated with completing such an event.

I like the idea of a March ultra except for the difficulty in training through the winter. I would expect to peak at 100 mpw, peaking 3 weeks prior. Assuming a 40 mile run at the weekend, that still leaves 60 miles of running through the week and with Scottish daylight hours and being in the country that means 60 miles of night running, with a good chance of snow and ice.

Out running for first time last night. Felt reasonable though knees a little niggly. Out on the hills tonight and see how that feels. I feel for those of you down south with 30 deg C. We had a high yesterday of 12 ! 

• "Its so hard to explain the lure of such events " - know exactly what you mean - I think you either get it or you don't.

My wife doesn't understand the "why" bit either, but i think has probably jus accepted that it works for me. My ploy is usually to put potential races to her at the most opportune moments - for example, last night I presented the High Peaks 40 and Brecon 45 to her just prior to the Take That concert at Villa Park where I was on very husbandly chauffeur duty - surprise, surprise, no issues at all.  As far as the MdS goes - she did not want me to enter, but ultimately when entries went live and I was in an internet free zone, she entered me herself as she knew how much I wanted to do it - gotta love her - and she's gorgeous image

• Sounds like you got it sorted Rich image

Luckily my hubby now accepts that I am going to enter what he thinks of as silly events and as long as I dont injure myself he is happy.

I thought he took this one quite well, but after 10 in 10 this year I dont think I can really phase him.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Rich, nice tactics of take that driving duties! Well thought out! So your wife brought you an mds entry as a 'surprise gift'. Wow, impressive skills!

Training wise I'm not going to get near 100m per week. I usually go into these things completely under prepared, and this probably won't be much different! Last years 24hr thunder run went ok on the back of insufficient miles and I did 78miles over a tough XC course with some quite devilish hills. I just accept that it'll bloody hurt!

Which other ultras have people done? You sound well travelled AJH!
  • TBH I havent done that many ultras or that long.....

Done JW Ultra 30 miles x 3

Draycote water 35 miles x 2

Tring to Town 40 x 1

I've got a 30 miler on Saturday in Bletchley.

The ones my OH considers a bit nuts are IM and 10 maras in 10 days. The way I see it, all these things are as much mental challenges as physical, and if you have the right mindset then it will go a long way to ensuring you suceed.

That is not to say of course that things cant go tits up! image

78 miles on xc sounds pretty impressive Mr F!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I live 5 mins from draycote water!

Tits up indeed. I'm totally with you on the mental think. I've found the secret is keeping the doubt from your mind. At 3am, in the cold and often lonely, if your head drops and you get the negative thoughts going round they just manifest themselves in your brain and drag you down. You need to remember that you will go through a few rough patches that will test your resolve to the limit, but if you cam keep going you come out the other side feeling much better!
  • Mr F - surprise gift......nah.....she logged on and got me the place - the financial burden is all mine image  

Mental challenge - totally. You have to want to do it and you have to think you can do it - and that's half the job done. Most people wouldn't want to and wouldn't think they could. I would say that most endurance athletes have huge self-belief, and can't see a limit  or keep on moving it.

I used to have a great Nike sweatshirt which said "There Is No Finish Line" image

• what sort of weekly mileage mileage will people be doing before this 100 miler. i`m currently on 60per week.  with a long run every few weeks of 30miles, whats everyone else doing. cheers.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I shan't be doing 60 per week that's for sure!

40 per week will be my limit!
  • Yeah I think I will err on the lesser side.

I always think that there is too much risk of injury if I up the miles too much.

One thing I will try and do though is back to backs when tired. If I learnt anything during the 10 in 10 it is that I wish not that I had done more miles in training, but that I wish I had done more tired miles in training.

Cos boy are you going to be tired image

I am looking at the Kent 50 in a few weeks just as a plod it round and try out a 25, 5 strategy. Just got to work out if I cab get there and stuff.

• I'm looking at doing this and was wondering what advice could be given as to the likelihood of me completing the race, training etc.

I did the Lightning Run earlier this year, and Edinburgh Marathon last month. I shall be starting from a marathon-distance base, but have been recovering from an ankle injury that was done during the Lightning Run.

My running has been minimal due to the ankle injury but I have been cross-training and doing core stability in order to build up strength. I am looking to start building that up again over the next few months as I have marathons and half marathons in the Autumn to do.

At the moment I am looking at this and assuming I will need the full 30 hours as my base level. I know that I have not really done any other ultras, and have a tendency to jump right on in at the deep end (my first ever race was the London Marathon). Where should I be looking for a good training plan?

Any advice would be gratefully received image
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Vixx, I've got a 100 training plan I can email to you makes interesting reading and.in principle its really good, but as you know I struggle for quality training time.
  • That sounds good Mr F. Will message you my email addy.
  • Vixx there's absolutely no reason you can't be ready for a 100 between now and next March, as long as you have the mental strength and you put the work in you'll be fine.

Have a look here for a training program and then have a look at the other races worldwide, be prepared to waste a few hours though image

• Am also wondering about where to stay the night before etc etc - anyone got tips on that sort of thing - should I travel light, do I rely on my 'support' to sort out looking after my bags etc?
  • Vixx I haven't done a hundred yet so I can't comment on how it works in practise but every event is different, some allow full support some don't, some allow drop bags and some don't, have a look at the website and see what the rules are and go from there, only you can really say what'll work for you on the day. And night. And part of the next day.
  • I would suggest however you do a few ultras before then, a hundred is a huge step up from a marathon and the mentality is completely different, see if your body is up to running longer distances and whether you are happy mentally thinking in terms of time on feet rather than mins per mile. It is a different world believe me
  • I'm too slow in marathons to think of minutes per mile - it's all about time on feet for me anyway. I have a couple of friends who are going to train with me to keep me motivated and we are going to do some of the Trans Pennine trail as well on Sundays, which I will follow up with a long run on a Monday (my regular day off) to let my legs get used to running whilst tired.

When I am in Birmingham I will be running over the Clent Hills to just get my hill work in. Am doing the Thunder Run in 4 weeks as part of a team and am hoping for 5 laps minimum there too.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Are you joining us too lirish?

Vixx, hoping to stay in motor home the night before I'd I cam get my support team off the ground!
  • I'm not sure yet Mr F, plans for next year are still fairly fluid, I'm entering the ballot for the UTMB if I complete the CCC and Hardmoors later this year, if I don't get in I'm going to try for one of the big American 100s like Leadville.
    The Thames 100 is attractive simply because it starts about twenty minutes from my door and I know quite a bit of the route
  • Thanks people, i feel better for knowing what your all doing as apposed to feeling dwarfed previously.
  • I had a few good points made on FB too, so I am planning on taking them all on board and seeing what I can do training wise. I need to have this I think as a focus. Just need to find some money.

Does anyone know if you get a refund if you have to pull out and someone else takes your place from the reserve list? I am guessing not but thought I would ask....

Hi Andy!