Thames Path 100

Comments

• Hi all,

Really glad I spotted this thread.  I entered a couple of weeks ago and it will be my 1st 100 too.  I did my first 50k and first 2 day event this year so thought I'd give this a go.  I'm glad that not everyone will be preparing by running 100+ mile weeks as I know I wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of distance.  I'm planning to do the Brecon 40 in December and then maybe find a 50 in January as part of the build up.  Looking forward to the journey!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Vixx, think the website says refunds are available. Maybe a half refund till 2 weeks before the event? Ref something about it onvthe website though

Kp, hello! IL be adopting a similar strategy with prep ultras. The 100 training plan would be great to follow and give you great confidence going into the race but just not doable whatsoever!
  • I am doing 30 on Saturday and my first 50+ in 2 weeks image

The 50 will be a proper slow job, just time on feet.

I have just started abiotics for an infected big toe nail bed. I am rather hoping they start to work quick!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Infected toe not good prep for a 50! Good luck with the recovery though!
  • MR F sorry to hear about your foot problem. hope it sorts out asap.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    It's AJH's foot, not mine! Thanks anyway
  • Well.....plans for a decent back-to-back and 1st taster of night running didn't go quite to plan........

Set off from work last night with the cunning plan of running halfway-ish home (about 14 miles), then catching a train the rest of the way back home to Lincoln. Then the idea was to get up early and leave at about 4 to run all the way to work along the River Brayford 23+miles. Original plan had been to run all the way home tonight and then train/run tomorrow but now have to work at weekend and public transport not available early enough in the morning for work.

Anyway.....trundling along quite nicely yesterday afternoon when it all started going horribly wrong. Brushed a bush that had a very sharp twig hidden in it, stabbing my forearm. Having stemmed the haemorrhage, and with extensive abrasions to arm I moved cautiously on. About 1 mile from the train station my entire (L)quad, which had been a bit niggly all week suddenly went into spasm. "Oh dear" thinks I. Hobbled/limped the last mile.

So I get rescued from Lincoln train station but I can't run, car is at work and I have no means of getting to work in the morning. No public transport and wife has to take children and get to work herself etc. No choice but a £32 pound taxi.

Sore leg, just muscular, I think, and needing some rest, battered ego and p*ssed off looking at the very sunny morning.

Not such a cunning plan. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere! At least I have enforced 3 day rest due to work

• I have been following this thread for a while. Would love to do this race but not next year, won't be fit in time and I don't want to push. But maybe could run with any of you the second half during that race, I go out on Thames Path very often, from Reading westwards I know the way.
  • I've just read the blog on the centurion website, and I'm thinking if a fit chap like that takes 28+ hrs then what chance do I have? I know that race is much hillier than the Thames path, but I am a little nervous that I'd be doing this wasting my time.

My marathon PB is 5:33:28, set a couple of years ago. I'm not fast, but I might be built more for Ultras because of the fact I can go for longer. I also know I have 8 months to train for this, but am still nervous that it might come to nothing image
  • Hi all,
    AJH, hope those antibiotics take hold quickly, can't b good running that far with an infected toe.

Rich, sounds like the worlds worst commute! Glad u made it home safely in the end and hope your leg heals quickly. I guess that things can only get better after that.

Vixx, I'm also nervous about the distance but think with time and hard work I can get there, & I'm sure you can too. I think to run that far you have no choice other than to slow right down. My plan is just to keep slowing it down & stretching out the distance until hopefully on the day I can make it to the end. I've never run that kind of distance before so really won't know until the day if I will make it, but that's part of the challenge. I think ultimately the event is only 1 day (well 1 & a bit!) but the training lasts months. Bad days happen & they might happen on race day, but I think if you've spent 8 months working hard, pushing yourself & improving then that can never be a waste of time, even if it does go wrong on the day. I think if it's a challenge you want to undertake & have the time & determination to prepare then you should go for it. Personally, I just want to see if I can.

I'm off for a sportive in Shropshire today, looks like a nice day for it. Hope you all have a good weekend.
  • Well done Vixx76. image nice one.

also i know people said to wait till early next year to do the night run but i cant wait any more. i want to do a night session that much. so i`m going for a 12 hour walk tonight. to see how i cope with it. rather than attempt a night run an have to call for help at 2am or something. okay i`ll let you all know how i get on image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Andy, much respect! Last year a friend who did the Adidas 24he race with me spent 12hrs running around an athletics track overnight by himself! letbus know how you got on!

Vixx, knew you would do it! Scary distance, but even if I'm out the 30hrs IL complete it.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    AJH, how was the 30? No big distances at the minute for me, but for the next 2 weeks of so IL be working only 8 m from home so plenty of time for cycling and lots of back to back runs.
  • Morning.

Pulled out of yesterday's race at 12.5.

Once the toe started hurting and I started compensating I knew I should stop. Antibiotics haven't done my stomach any favours either. So best to stop and run another day.

Hopefully in 2 weeks toe will be better and I can do 50 image

Hope everyone else has good runs this weekend and the That the nightfall goes ok.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    AJH, sorry to hear that but wise move! Plenty of time to get the miles in!
    I once pulled out if an 80miler at 42 having done over on my ankle. If it had been a 50 I'd have carries on but sometimes uve just got to be sensible! Good luck with the 50!
  • Thanks.

I'm not normally that sensible but since I am only 6 weeks post finishing my main challenge this year I am much more relaxed about it image
  • Rich1 - ouch that sounds a bit of a blow - was it cramp or pulled muscle?

AJH - sorry to hear of your race. Better playing safe.

Can I join the list of injured? First run after WHW went up a local hill at a very gentle pace. Knee locked near the top and 6 miles from car. Hobbled down and got a lift back to car. Should have taken more than 11 days off methinks. Currently trying to get away to Bangkok for 2 weeks work (although flight is 1560 minutes late!). Will try some massages (non-dodgy kind!) to ease it back to proper movement. I've a 40 miler in August and a 45 miler is September.

You have heard the story of the runner who twisted his ankle in the dark on mile five of a 95 mile run and carried on. Hobbled to the finish in 30+ hrs and then went for xray. Ankle was broken. I can post a link to the full story if anyone interested?

• Firstly sorry if i make any spellin mistakes. (very tired)

are that was one awesome night. set off from home at 9.27pm saturday after much faffing about.

all in all did 30.3miles in 8hrs. ave 16:00min/mile pace.

bearing in mind i NEVER EVER go walking i was realy happy to get that far image

the first 14miles were just relentless uphill (not steep- very Gradual an long) at midnight i had noticed a slight urge to sleep, but it passed after half an hour or so. after a rolling 8mile ridge walk. i really started to feel soreness creeping in. then about 25miles in the Magic happened, the most amazing sun came in to view image

onwards i pushed. by about the seven hour mark. i honestly felt done for. but they do say you can allways do more than you think you can. so i was immensely glad to be done after 8hours.

Lessons learned.

1) DON`T simply walk when running feels more Natural.

2) any walking that i do could probably be done at a less aggresive pace.

3) when isotonic drink is empty an sandwich is eaten. actually replace it rather than go thirsty for an hour or so. because it was not cold even during the night.

AJH sorry to hear about your trouble. i hope you get sorted soon enough so as to keep doing what you love. Best of look to Everyone attemptin various ultras.image

for a more Babbling on version of how it went. take a look at this.

http://amileshortofamarathon.blogspot.com/ Thankyou.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Andy, good going! So what dis you do for food? Was it a point to point circuit or multiple laps with a food and drink station?

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Hill header, that story about the broken ankle is just what o went through 2 years ago, but not the same distance! Was part of a 3 person team doing the cheviots 2000 fell race. At 19 out of 22 miles I went over on my ankle on a steep downhill. Was agony but as we were in the lead as a mixed team we presses on and my team mates shouted a bit. I guess the adrenaline took over. Next day ankle was purple and resembles a balloon and when I got home I visited A&E and spent the next 6 weeks I'm plaster! We still officially won on paper but were totally gutted to not get the trophy due to a technicality. My team mate took my back pack for the last 3 miles as I hobbled and that breached race rules giving us a 15min penalty. We argued it believing that as it was a team event we performed exceptionally as a team, and helping eachother out like this is teamwork at its best but the result stood!
    Still to date those 22m were the hardest I have ever home through in my life.
  • it was a point to point.

my mother had kindly agreed to pick me up at 6 at a junction on the A55. she`s amazin.

i carried 2.5litres of Nuun tablet water. and some peanut butter sandwiches. and some cake bars incase. in an ultra i`d definetly take advantage of the aid staions because i would happily of drunk 2 litres more, but i didn`t want to carry all that weight so left it to carrying 2.5litres. this felt like enough for me. unfortunately due to lack of walking expeirence i was getting sore after about 5 hours. still loved it though.

• would you put a link up to that story of the ankle turn at 5 mile please. i`d love to read it. image take care wont you.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Are you colwyn bay way by any chance?
  • That doesn't take me to anything but a favourites page image
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Ah... The website was http//run100miles.com. or similar!
  • ok - I will check that out! image
  • Had a 10 mile walk today, trying to keep to over 3.4 miles per hour whilst I continue to strengthen my ankle. Managed it quite comfortably in the heat image