Options

Newbie runner: please help me shift a stone!

Hi everyone (:

I’m new to this site and new to running in general and I’m in need of a little help to reach my goal. My main aim is to lose around 1 stone in the next 12-14 weeks, which from a little bit of research seems like a fairly achievable goal. I currently weigh 9 stone and would like to get this down to 8 through running and maintaining a healthy diet.

Exercise
At the moment I work out 4 times a week, 3 x 20 mins HIIT on an exercise bike and 1 x 30 min spinning, all done at the gym. I will be living at home for the summer though and will have access to a treadmill, so I will need to change and increase the amount of exercise I am doing. I will also be doing yoga once a week as well as trying to incorporate lunges/squats etc.

Diet
I already eat a pretty healthy diet, so I don’t think I need to make any major alterations to that, e.g today:
B: 30gram Porridge w/semi skimmed milk + raspberries
L: Chicken + veg soup w/3 x ryvitas
D: Chicken + veg stirfry w/noodles
I also eat a few snacks throughout the day such as a banana and lots of green tea and the occasional naughty treat!

My question to you is how much running should I do per week in order to meet my goal? I have lots of time available in the day so I’m not limited by that (lazy student!)

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Cornwall 91 wrote (see)

I will be living at home for the summer though and will have access to a treadmill, so I will need to change and increase the amount of exercise I am doing.

you shouldn't really need a treadmill during the summer months.

height as well as weight would give a better idea as to whether your plans to lose a stone are realistic and/or sensible.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Running should be built up slowly. You can't just go out there and run miles. Easiest way to injury. Also you may find that you just can't do it.

Rule of thumb is 1 mile 100kcals but I doubt that at 9 stone this is true - I'd guesstimate 90kcal, I know I have never burnt anything close to 100kcal per mile - more like 85.

3,500kcal per 1lb weight (if my memory serves me right)

That would me you'd need to run (at least) 35 miles per wk to loose 1lb, providing you didn't increase your dietary intake.

• Options

I live at uni during most of the year where I have access to the gym, but I'll be home for the summer, and I'll only have a treadmill there you see!

Weight: 8"13
    Height: 5"1

Thanks (:

• Options

@biker-mouse: ahh, 5 miles a day then...may take some building up to!

I think I am a relatively fit person, I walk a lot and like I mentioned I do do some exercise 4 times a week. This was a totaly stab in the dark, but I was going to try and work up to 1hr 6 times a week, I read you need at least one rest to to let your body recover. I guess that would be nearly 35 miles per week...

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

To start with it is advisable to only run 2 or 3 days a week. Jumping in at the deep end and running everyday or 6 days 5 miles at a go is a hell of a demand on your body.

Everything will hurt - I hr 6 x weekly is a hell of an outing even for experienced runners.

• Options

To be honest with you, your current height and weight are perfectly healthy and I think trying to lose a stone is a bit too much and may be a bit out of your reach. You already exercise 4 times a week and walk a lot, so I would say your body must be pretty comfortable at the weight you are and I dont think you will physically be able to lose much more weight without starving yourself (not that I am recommending that!).

We all have a 'natural' body weight where our bodies settle because that is what is the 'right' weight for us, and if you are already exercising frequently and eating healthily then it seems your body has found its natural weight - so pushing yourself to lose any more weight may just be flogging a dead horse. 

If you are really dead set on running and trying to shift this stone, well I suggest you run outdoors rather than on a treadmill. You use more of your muscles and you get better overall results from running outdoors. This is because of the undulations in the terrain, it means you are constantly running on slightly different surfaces, hills, etc therefore you are using more muscles to deal with the uneveness that comes with outdoor running. Whereas if you are on a treadmill, yes you can add uphill settings but there are no downhills, no bumps on the track etc - it is pretty much up or flat, and it only really works very specific muscles in your legs and not a lot else. You may find the treadmill actually bulks you up - a lot of women find this if they run too much on a treadmill, often it can simply make your thighs bigger and nothing much else happens. 

As for running outdoors (99% of us runners here on this forum are going to tell you to get outside, this is runners world not gym world - we will be out running come rain or shine!) - simply try to run every other day and build up your distance gradually. You need the rest days to allow yourself to recover, and if you do run outside and take on too much too soon you will end up injured or with shin splints. So take it slowly, start off maybe with a 3k or 5k if you think your fitness levels are good. Try running every other day doing those distances, until they feel comfortable, and then you can try and reduce your time, or run further. I reccommend you try and reduce your time over 5k until you are feeling really happy with your 5k time, then move on and increase your distance. 

Try signing up for a 5k or 10k race - this gives you something to aim for, is great motivation and there are plenty of training plans online that you can use to get you ready for one. 

Overall, if you end up running 4 or 5 times per week, training for say a 10k or half marathon (eventually!) then you will be very fit, and that is what matters. You are not overweight by any stretch of the imagination, so health should be your goal rather than just trying to be thin. Hopefully if you start training for an event/race you might lose a few pounds, but if you dont then that is a clear sign that your body simply has nothing left to lose unless you stopped eating altogether. 

Good luck!

• Options

Thank you very much for all that info, I'm not dead set on the one stone, but I definitely do need to drop a few pounds, I used to weigh far closer to 8 stone and I found that a far more comfortable weight (before I went to uni and consumed to much beer and pasta!).

I think I'll start off with the treadmill - bit concerned I'm going to look like an idiot outsite! - and maybe progress outdoors, I guess what you're saying about ups and downs and different surfaces makes a lot of sense.

I like the idea of a race to work torwards too, I'll look into that. Thank you all again for all the help, I'll let you know how I get on!

• Options

Just thought I'd do a quick update for anyone wanting to lose weight via running and struggling:

I now weigh 8"8, still looking to shift a bit more, but pretty happy!

I've done this via

1. Exercise: Running 3 miles 3 times a week + 1 hike a week + 1 hour of swimming a week

2. Food: I've realised you still have to watch what you eat if you want to lose weight, I've only made an effort to be super good the last few weeks and that's when the weight started to come off.

Obviously this has been quite slow, I have fallen off the bandwagon a couple of times, but I hope this way it'll stay off.

Thanks again for all your help!

Edit:You'll all be pleased to know I ONLY run outdoors now image tried the treadmill once and absolutely abhorred it.

• Options
    8'6 now, over half way to my goal!
  • Options
    Hi just after a bit of advice really not actually running based or though i do a bit this is more about circuit training and doing dumbells because i do shift work which consists of 4 days on and 4 days off i do not really like to train on work days might do a few press ups and bodyweight exercises if i get a bit of time but the majority of my exercising is done on my days of just wandering if this is enough time for my muscles to repair and grow as i dont really want to come home and do a work out after 12 hours at work advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.