marathon in autumn?

Hi everyone!

I have just recently completed the Paris marathon and am already looking forward to antoher one in autumn this year

Do you have any good races to recommend in UK or Europe in mid to late October, latest first week of Nov?

A few potential ones which came up from my research are:

Frankfurt Marathon
Venice Marathon
Marseille-Cassis Marathon
Palma Marathon
Amsterdam Marathon

Comments

• Dublin?

For UK ones just use the race finder on here

• RunLiverpool marathon is on 9th October 2011.  I've entered as my first attempt at the biggun image
  • Mablethorpe 2nd October I think, flat course
  • I would second the Dublin suggestion - great race, great atmopshere and definate PB potential - not too big and fairly flat.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Amsterdam is great image

They don't get much flatter, plus it's a nice city for a weekend visit.

• Isn't Luton in November now?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

So let's think... Amsterdam, Dublin.... no - Luton would definitely be my choice! image 

One thing I've just noticed johnsmith - you refer to the Marseille-Cassis marathon, but I think you may be confused.

There is a Marseille to Cassis point-to-point at the end of October, but it's not a marathon, it's about 20 km.

There is the Marathon des Alpes-Maritimes, which is from Nice to Cannes.  That is in November, and is quite good (my OH did it a couple of years ago).  Any trip to Nice requires generous funding, though.

• Hmmmmmmmmmmm Amsterdam sounds tempting.  Might wait until next week to register in case I decide 'never again' after thisSunday...image.
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    If you're going to do a UK Autumn marathon it has to be Loch Ness.....
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Or Snowdonia...!
  • thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    +1 for Dublin, did it last year - great atmosphere and a good course. On a Monday if that makes a difference
  • Chester is in October and I am thinking of doing it.

I did Florence last year (late November) and it is a great place.

• Loch Ness - best marathon in the world.  Fact.  Stunning route, well organised, really friendly atmoshere, great goody bag & medal and post race recovery in Inverness.  what more could a runner want?  image

I've heard very good things about Dublin and had to pull out of Snowdonia because of injury but entered it based on the reports of others. 

• Hi JS,

I did Paris last year. then went onto to do the Eden Project marathon in October...

It was perfect. Paris was flat, but Eden Project is hilly and challenging, so it's nice step up. Weather was great, scenary great, organisation good, and there's pasty n pint at the end.

it's a relatively new one, and not a PB course, but def one to try.

• Hi all,

I am also thinking of doing an autumn marathon. I'd liked to have done Berlin but I notice it's sold out/closed already.

I REALLY fancy Chicago and New York but the missus has vetoed that straight off. Which leaves Amsterdam, Venice or Athens. Amsterdam I don't fancy much, but Athens or Venice sound great!!

Anyone got any tips/experience of Athens or venice?

• I did Athens marathon last year on its 2500 year anniverasy. I absolutely loved it, so much so that I am doing it again this year. It's a challenging course though, with about 18 miles uphill. The good news is that the last 6 miles are on a slight downslope. Organisation was impeccable. The finish in the marble Panathenaiko stadium can bring tears in your eyes. I think it's a must for maranthion runners!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I can recommend: Cologne. 2nd October and a great course to run (fantastic atmosphere and beer on route!). Organisers are great and helpful (even if you dont speak German). This will be my forth year in Cologne.

Alternatively - Brussels is also worth a shot. It's on 2nd October too, but definitely worth a look at. It can in places be a really tough course (slow long hills), but the support is fantastic. I've just run 20km there and although the organisers could be a little better - the actual run was lovely.

• Hoping to do my first one this Autumn.

Dublin was my first thought, but it's on a Monday not in the holidays for the UK, which means I would a) need to take holiday time and b) no-one could come with me, as my partner is a teacher.

Athens has to be a target one year, maybe this year. I have a friend running it, but the hassle of getting there on a Friday night, coming back on a Sunday night (again if I want any support with me) puts me off a bit. Also the current Greek riots makes me wonder how the Athenians will be feeling come November.

Loch Ness looks beautiful. Hillier than perhaps I first thought, although anything would be a PB! Tempting, but again it's a flight job up from Warwickshire, expensive accommodation already - not cheap for a UK marathon - be £250 each at least.

Eden Project looks beautiful, but looks bloody hilly and a bit tough for a first marathon.

Now someone on here has mentioned the Marathon Nice-Alpes-Maritimes...sounds more expensive, but my mother-in-law lives one hour from Nice along the coast...so no accommodation costs, Airmiles might cover the flights...hello....

Anyone done the Alpes-Maritimes?

• berger the run liverpool marathon will be top class.
    did the half marathon in march , it was very well organised . the october marathon will be even better . a big city marathon with big crowds on both sides of the river!
  • can't say I fancy Liverpool in October really - thanks for the heads up though
  • i'm thinking of doing san sebastian, and chester mara as a training run this autum.

as a local runner i have played close attention to chester and everyone i know gave it the thumbs up last year, and from what i saw watching it, it was extremely well organised, so it could be worth a shot.  i would personally keep clear of liverpool for a year or two, runliverpool have one or two bad marks next to their name.  i'd let that one bed in and for them to sort out inevitable teething problems.

personally snowdon is a must for all british mara runners and your CV is not complete till its on it. 

• carrot top 767 finished chester last year!
    over 7000 entries for liverpool this year so far, so the choice is a big city marathon or a lonely plod around the cheshire countryside
    you pay your money and take your pick!
  • BS - ROFLOL, chester won't have the numbers that liverpool will have, granted.  but if you gonna critise a race, perhaps compare like for like? i.e. how many are doing chester this year? think you'll find its a few more than last year! just an idea?

• did chester last year , when u r at about 4 hour pace it gets lonely.
    just wish race organisers could get together and work something out about a race calendar.
    the 2 events at separate times will both be good for northwest runners.
  • in the smaller mara's i have the same problem being a sub 3 runner, although in the big city mara's i have trouble with runners getting in the way at the start. so its swings and roundabouts 

i agree totally about the two races clashing and am disappointed that it has happened and hopefully this can be avoided in the future.  personally i wish they had both gone for earlier or slightly late dates, instead of slap bag in the middle of the mara calendar, that time is very congested with excellent proven races.  i'd like to support both my local mara races, but i'm not willing to invest 18wks training for a race without a proven track record of excellence (something neither has yet). i've only manged to fit chester in due to my decision to do a very late main race (27th nov), and its not gonna be flat out, more of a very hard & long, long run.

all the best for liverpool, quite a few club mates are doing it and i'm keeping an eye on it for the futer, and one i want on my CV. although when i can fit it in though is another mater.  (but that in some ways is a nice problem to have)

• Hi
    I’m a FLAT Autumn marathon runner …. And did Dublin(3h20'21)  in 2010 which has a total height deviation of around 110 meters
    which is flat.
    The only thing that I could Criticise with Dublin would be the free t-shirt the rest was perfect+ and believe me I’m not easy to please!!!

For my 2011 marathon I have chosen the MARATHON DES ALPES-MARITIMES - Nice-Cannes France  it has about the same height deviation as Dublin but is not a loop, so the wind direction could play a part.
    This year it is also the French marathon championship so the quality should be guaranteed.

cheers

• one for 2012 late October

Preston Guild Marathon

Preston Guild only happens every 20 years!
    So if you miss it! 2032 will be the next Guild Marathon!

Will post date soon

• carrot top wrote (see)

i'm thinking of doing san sebastian, and chester mara as a training run this autum

I am thinking about it myself (although it would be Florence instead of San Sebastian). I have got a number for Chester but my training didn't go according to plan.