Options

Disney 2012

Comments

• Options

i`m all booked for my 3rd goofy and 5th disney marathon,,

i book with virgin and have for many years,,i like the complete package which includes flights ,hotel, car ,park tickets , and meal plan

i travel on my own as my kids are at the age where they can`t take any time out from school

and the chocolates at mile 23 are a god send on the day

• Options

How much does the Virgin package cost pab?

• Options

hotel = port orleans riverside ,, flight ,,, upgraded car with full ins ,,14 day park hopper,, and the quick dining plan for 7 days worked out 1600.00

with travel city direct it works out 1500.00 but i prefer to pay the little extra to go with virgin

staying on a disney site they supply transport to and from the race and the expo,, although i drive and sit in the car until the last moment before the start

• Options

also i`m getting 300 dollars  because i booked before a date

any one else staying at port orleans,,,,i`ve stayed their several times nice hotel but i prefer the buzz from pop century or all stars but staying at port orleans means i get the quick servivesplan thrown in..

• Options

We were looking at Port Orleans, just trying to find the best deals at the moment.  So annoyed, Mr CS looked at it earlier in the week and it was £2400 for 10 days but today its up to £2700... bum bum bum!!!  He's now looking at Old Key West as it has a bigger discount and better meal plan although it works out at £200 dearer...hmmm  decisions decisions.

• Options

Staying at a friends villa in Clermont off the US27 about 20minutes from Disney. More than likely staying till 20th

• Options
    We're looking at flying back on Friday 13th.... do you think it could be a fairly empty plane??? image
  • Options
    Friday flights are normally busy  mid week flights 50/50 and Monday/Tuesday flights can sometimes have as few as 20 passengers in economy
  • Options
    Think about it.... Friday the THIRTEENTH *whips out axe & hockey mask*  Mwaah-haah-haah!! We're looking at flying out on the Wednesday before so as I work in the building industry it means I'll be back at work 1 day after the Christmas closure before heading off on my jollies.  image
  • Options

Sorry date didn't register with me image

Im flying out on the Wednesday before also from manchester

• Options

the plane will be full of brits, who aren't quite a superstitious as americans...sadly I think it will be full.

I don't think any of my flights to Orlando have been quiet, and we always travel "off season".

• Options

cazsoul,,,  old key west is a great place to stay and with the dining plan rather than the quick service plan for an extra 200 i would say its a bargin,,i know what you mean about shopping around for the best price as i often do this and i had the same that when i found a deal by the time i wanted to book it they said that the offer had finished and it was now the full price

my mate owns places at bahamabay resort in lake davenport and says i can always stay there ,,but by the time i cost flight and car hire etc etc  the package don`t work out much more, i could save money by stopping at maine but prefer to fly non-stop, and from the last 5 years that ive done the disney marathon the price has`nt gone up that much

i`m a fussy eater and i don`t like making adr`s for certain times of the day,,thats why i choose to have  the quick dining plan

• Options
    We're staying at Old Key West for the Goofy. Any suggestions / recommendations about the resort?
  • Options

Pab, we were looking at upgrading the dininig plan from the quick service to the next level up... we searched the places we wanted to eat and they all seemed to accept it so as Mr CS says once we've booked all that then the holiday is basically all inclusive and we shouldn't make that big a dent in the credit cards when we're over there... apart from at the expo and the trips out to Universal & SeaWorld.    Mr CS has already reserved our tables for the Friday & Saturday... imagealthough he'll probably have to make it a bit earlier on the Saturday as I have a feeling I'll be ready for my bed by early evening.

Brand, why you embarrassed???

• Options

cazsoul,, the full dining plan is very good,,its just to much food for me,,and as i don`t eat meat going into most of the top restraunts that disney have just seemed a waste for me as i can get what i need from quick service,,but if my wife and children were coming then that would be the plan we would be on

don`t forget that they still charge you for servive charge and they present you a bill for this at the end ,,unless you have a x2 meal as in breakfast at the castle,,the hopp de doop show ect ect

nn all disney resorts are great,, only stayed there for a couple of days ,,the rooms are larger than most resorts,,

• Options

There'll be the odd one or two alcoholic beverages being purchased with the meals as well pab... after the races obviously. image  I suggested to Mr CS we take some cash with us for drinks, tips, etc and for the 2 days we plan to head away from Disney but the rest of it will get shoved on the room key and sorted out once the credit card bill comes in.  Gotta love that whole room key does everything malarky... I still have mine from when we went in 2004.  image

• Options
    That's it... everything's booked... Port Orleans French Quarter... just need to deal with the small matter of paying for it all now and erm there's something else I need to do before then.....

erm..........

hmmmm..........

Oh yeah.... training. image
  • Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)
    That's it... everything's booked... Port Orleans French Quarter... just need to deal with the small matter of paying for it all now and erm there's something else I need to do before then.....

erm..........

hmmmm..........

Oh yeah.... training. image
    Training is for whimps !!
  • Options
    But Slowie, I want to look my best for Eeyore and dying on my feet is not a good look for me...
  • Options

Caz

Don't be distracted the idea for Goofy is go slow on Saturday then go slower on Sunday image

Have I mentioned that I'm perfectly Goofy  image

• Options
    I happen to be a fully qualified expert at going slow...in fact it is my speciality. image

Have you seen the special edition Donald medal???...its gorgeous.
  • Options

It goes with my XV Mickey marathon medal.

My fifth Goofy

• Options

Just heard that next year's marathon is the 20th anniversary (with the obvious 'special' medal). Which just means that I will have to convince the family to spend the money again.........image

• Options

Don't think i'll ever be able to justify the expense again, maybe when the baby is older. I did it in 2010 as part of my honeymoon.

I probably managed 50 miles of training in the three months before, due to weather and wedding commitments, in all honesty I wasn;t up to the half, let alone both!

The time limits are generous, and on the full as I pointed out to people on the goofy that didn't think they would make it, its a pretty generous target. I did 10 miles in 2 hours and then walked fast at 4mph and finished in 6 hours.

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far, so I'll mention a few tips.

1. It could be cold, when I did it, it actually snowed for the first time ever in FL and it was icy. They are not prepared for this in Florida so you won't be able to buy a hat and gloves in a store so you'll be running it like me in a pair of gardening gloves. It could be warm or more likely it'll start cold and get hot, so be prepared to strip layers.

2. its a walk to the start from the parking area, but the parking is pretty close. Be careful not to leave it too late.

3. If you haven't booked flights yet, consider doing the marathon at the end of the holiday. The snow in England was bad and people on this forum couldn't fly out, if you leave 10 days before it, you have more of a chance (if commitments allow) of making the start.

4. Enjoy it, its not a massive hardcore field and although its pretty tough to run that far, you're running with plenty of people who are having the time of their lives. Conside the event rather than getting a time, nothing is more fun than stopping in Animal Kingdom to ride the rollercoaster (and also is an excuse for your bad time)

R

• Options

WRW - I know what you mean about the expense - the only way I can justify it this time is that my kids are at 'the right age' for Disney and they do the 5k and Mickey Mile.

I agree with the tips - has anyone ever used the Race Retreat package? After standing freezing on the start line last time (not nice when still half asleep at that early hour), I wondered if it was worth paying for this to keep warm longer!!??  

• Options
    Warrington Road Warrior wrote (see)
    They are not prepared for this in Florida so you won't be able to buy a hat and gloves in a store so you'll be running it like me in a pair of gardening gloves.

Yes I remember that.  I ended up converting some socks into mittens, not the coolest look I've ever had but needs must image

• Options

NN - hubby and I use the race retreat. its got short queues for toilets and a bag drop that meant on that particular snowy race day we all got our bags back and wore the clothes we'd meant to wear afterwards for the race. saved out bacon that day. Also handy meet up at the end, with computers (in case you don't have american phones) to monitor the progress of your loved one. if you want more info let me know.

• Options

madaussie - brilliant! List of notes/questions: image

1) Great news re toilets! That may swing it in itself.

2) What is the food like? I know there are bagels but are they of a sufficient standard for us to crawl out of bed and think about eating when we get to the retreat - or do we need to prepare our own breakfast?

3) Coffee - what is the strength of the coffee - I need the caffeine boost, especially at that time in the morning! Hubby not so much - he had coffee last time when he is not used to it and we had a lot of toilet stops in the first half of the race!image

4) Do you set off at the same time as all the runners for the walk down to the start line or is there a different pathway from the retreat?

Thanks for the info.image  

• Options

madaussie - question from hubby - is the massage after the race any good?