Options

Disney 2012

Comments

• Options

Sounds like Goofy will be a doddle for you!image

• Options

some impressive credentials on here then !  

Can any of you vets tell me how you 'recovered' on Saturday ready for the Marathon?  Im not sure if its best to keep the legs moving (probably a slow walk round a park) or get off them to give them chance to recover.

• Options

I was really worried about that last year.

We just took it steady on the half and relaxed in and around the pool for the rest of the day (it was lovely for once not to be dragged at 100 miles an hour around the parks by kids!!image) and we were surprised that our legs didn't feel TOO bad the next day.

But I'm not very experienced at this type of thing.

• Options

MM

I chill out  after finishing the half I have a bit of a tradition of going to a MacDonalds and getting a breakfast muffin and OJ  after that get a shower then about 2pm go back to the Expo for a massage then do a bit of last minute shopping (they reduce the prices on Saturday afternoon but the stock can be limited) then go out for an early meal about 5/6pm and get to bed about 9pm

I have done the parks in the past but I don't bother now and save the cash.last year went for a game of crazy golf to kill an hour.

As long as you strecth your legs and get a massage you will be OK

• Options

Thanks for the advice Slowfoot. Sounds like a good plan... Would we have to book the massages at the expo or are they on a drop in basis?

On a diferent note I haven't seen any mention of 'Marathon Monday' being available for 2012.   Do you recmember at what point , in previous years, they confirmed the free  park day for the marathon competitors? 

• Options

MM

The massages are on a drop in basis at the expo normally about 4 people giving massages so sometimes you can have a bit of a wait but if I do i take the chance to get some last minute bargins however, stock can be very limited on a Saturday afternoon so if you decide you want something like a t/shirt  I would suggest get it at the 1st opportunity

Last year it was $15 for 20mins massage and i had about a 10min wait

As for Marathon Monday i think you can take it as read that it won't be available this year. It was well advertised for this year and advertised from very early out.

• Options

According to my calendar, we should all have dusted off the marathon training plan and have it stuck to the fridge by now.  image

Unfortnatey I seem to have a manic period coming up... my parents were visiting at the weekend so that scuppered any training plans, this weekend coming I'm accompanying a newbie runner on a 10k race and then the weekend after that we're tagging a holiday on the back of a HM down south so the running will be limited then too... oh and then we've got another HM over in Wales the weekend after we get back off holiday so I don't think I get a moment to catch my breath until the end of October.  Good job we're already up to 16miles or we'd be in serious danger of trying to play catch up. image

• Options
    our 16 week plan starts this week. We're following the non runners marathon training plan, with a few tweaks to add back to back runs towards the end of November. I'm in a state of mixed excitement and fear looking at what lies ahead but just going to take one week at a time and believe believe believe image we can get round
  • Options

hmm, well I'm way behind you all. I ran 7 miles last Sunday, and that's the furtherest I've run since the Disneyworld Half marathon in Janurary, where I limped home from 8 miles after my IT band decided it had had enough.

Doing Royal Parks half in a couple of weeks (plan on running as far as the knee lets me then walking the rest). 

Hopefully the torturer (physio) can get me sorted out for Janurary, I really, reallly realllly want the new chip and dale medal!

• Options

Ran the GNR and have a further marathon and half planned before a couple of long runs in November/December.

A sensibe marathon plan will get you round the Goofy unless you want to go for a fast time when it may be worth doubling your runs of a weekend

• Options
    Madaussie im probably at about at the same stage as you - 7 miles is roughly my comfortable max at the moment.

I had 10 weeks off this summer due to a calf injury and its been a slow job getting my fitness back. My plan only shows 5 miles as my weekend run at the mo so im not panicking (yet)

slowfoot - take my hat off to you. What sort of times will you be looking for in January ??
  • Options

MM

Will aim for about 2hrs 20mins for the half and 4hrs 40/5hrs for the full. Ideal would be sub 7 for Goofy fastest so far is 6hrs 52mins but will depend on how my long runs go in Nov/Dec

Best tip : Treat them as an event and go out and enjoy yourself.

This year got to mile 22 of the marathon and ran out of energy so trotted in the last 4 miles and enjoyed every minute of it

• Options

Don't know if you've all seen them, but there are some great YouTube videos of the Disney races from a guy called Lee Hoedl.

They really give you a lift on cold, windy, rainy days when you wonder whether to step foot out of the door for that long run.......image 

• Options
    Ive just watched the one in which he goes though the route and gives tips. OMG I felt really emotional just watching it. Will keep the link ready to watch just before those 18 mile runs in mid December !
  • Options

I've watched the long & the short version now and one thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be anybody in fancy dress other than the odd Goofy hat... I would've thought it would have been the perfect opportunity to dress up but now I'm wondering if it's socially unacceptable. image 

OMG the Expo is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!!  I have a feeling the credit card is going to take a bashing when we go there. image

I did notice a minor flaw in the top tips... use the portapotties (portaloos to you & me) before going into your Coral... what he forgot to mention was use the portaloos, join the end of the queue, use the portaloos, repeat as necessary LOL.

• Options

CazSoul - go for it on the fancy dress!!! There were quite a few Tinkerbells and Princessy type costumes that I saw and lots of Minnie Mouse costumes. You've even got me thinking about fancy dress - but from looking through the only one I could run in in cold weather is Mrs Incredible - but that would suggest that I am a fast runner, which I most definitely am not, so that may be a no go!image My son is going as Dash in the 5K though.image

One of the main reasons for doing a Disney race is getting excited about the characters and the Disney magic and fancy dress would just add to that. I was looking forward to trying to spot a Jessie and Woody.

Agree on the portaloos - especially when it is cold!image

• Options

P.S. In the 2011 half marathon video, you will see a photo of Lee with Eeyore!

• Options

I did notice Eeyore and there was a Dopey too...he's my favourite dwarf. image

You don't have to be fast to go as Mrs Incredible... she's stretchy not fast... Dash is the only one who's fast. Not that I know my Incredibles or anything... tum-te-tum... as you were...  Do it, do it, do it!! 

I need to suss out how to attach a wool plait to the back of my hat and how to keep the thing on my head... I was thinking lock laces, that way I could shove an end through the hat & attach the lock bit to it and they're elasticated so minimising the risk of choking from having it done up too tight. image

• Options

Caz

Go to the Disney shop the day before and you can but an Eeyore hat. Thankfully kept my spending in check this year apart from shorts and running shoes I was very well behaved Just depends on the exchange rate  (fingers crossed the dollar collaspes image) but you can expect dollar prices to be about a third cheaper.

Real bargins to to be had on the Saturday afternoon at the expo however stock can be limited

• Options
    Another thumbs up for the fancy dress. I cant see any point running the happiest run that ever ran if we cant have a bit of fun with it. Just need to persuade Mr MM now !
  • Options

hope everyone's training is going well.

Mine so far has been:

• Monday - acute food poisoning
    • Tue/Wed - cold
    • Thu - recovering and contemplating 20-30min run to see how things feel.
    Oh well, could be worse, might have the New Forest half marathon this sunday! image
  • Options

ATOM - sorry to hear you've not been well. Yes, this is where slight concern about being ill, getting an injury, everyday life getting in the way creeps in.....image.

I'm sure we picked a bad cold up on the plane on the way out last year - has anyone got any tips about avoiding germs from the air conditioning on the plane???

MM - funny you should say that - just got Mr NN convinced. image

• Options
    NN, I don't think there's ever a complete way to avoid cold/flu germs. Training for long distance races puts stresses on the body which means that it will allocate the resources normally needed to fend off bugs to other areas. I tend to take vit C and echinacea (something I've forgotten to do recently) to aid the bodies 'depressed' immune system.
  • Options

I take an effervescent Vit C thingy (the Morrisons own version makes your pee a funny colour) every day and echinacea the 2 weeks before a big race in an attempt to boost the old immune system.

C'mon ladies get those husbands convinced... So Mr & Mrs Incredible for Mr & Mrs NN and Mickey & Minnie for Mr & Mrs MM???  Mr CS saw a girl running in a Minnie Mouse costume at the Glasgow half the other week and he did say he was going to ask her how she found running in it but then noticed she was wired for sound and probably wouldn't hear him. image  Or Tinkerbell & Peter Pan, MM... they're fairly easy costumes to run in.

• Options

Mrs Incredible it is! I've asked Disney if an eye mask is ok (they say that whilst fancy dress is encouraged, full face masks are not allowed - but an eye mask is ok). Mr NN is going as something but he thinks Mr Incredible's muscles may get in the way when running!

• Options
    Ive just had a categorical no way from Mr MM hehehe. I love a challenge

Sorry you've not been well ATOM hope you recover quickly.
  • Options
    new forest half marathon completed in a new personal worst image, but at least I know I can still do the distance (plus furthest I've run since Sep 2010) Dis completed her 1st half, so good confidence boost for her. Time for some serious 'piratey' training
  • Options

Well done to you both.

Half marathon for me tomorrow. Would like to do 2:10 but think that may be slightly optimistic!image

Mr NN has now agreed to be Mr Incredible because he has seen that the costume has a fibre optic Incredibles logo on the chest!image

• Options

Good luck tomorrow NN.  Excellent news on the costume front. imageimage

Has anybody else booked the race retreat?  Figure it might be easier to spot you there rather than on the course...

• Options
    ATOM, it may have been a PW but as you say miles in the bank and at least you know you're still up to that distance so you have a starting point for the training plan.  Are you an RW Pirate or have you sorted out your Smee costume for the race???