Disney 2012

Comments

• Hahaha love the runner attitude there MM... it's ok my legs aren't hurt...  image 

One of my friends has just got back from New York and she says she ran the 1st half and walked all of the 2nd half to just soak up the atmosphere and take in the sights as it was the only time she was going to be there... sounds like a good attitude... This is the one and only time I'm going to be doing the Goofy so as long as I get in within the time limits I don't care if I have to walk a chunk of it...it's all about the experience not the time at this one.

•  Exactly how I feel.  SOOOO excited image  Just want that big gold goofy medal
  • Who else is doing the 5K on Friday?
  • CazSoul / MM - totally agree. Certainly for me, to take this marathon too seriously would be missing the point somewhat. (Having said that, no marathon is easy for me so the training still needs to be done.....)

MM - your comment made me chuckle.image So many runners must do/say similar things. Hope your finger and elbow are ok.

slowfoot - the jury is still out on this one (but time is running out!). My 2 sons are doing a mini-Goofy of the 5k and Mickey Mile - and I asked them if they would like us to run with them (I say 'with' with the slight change of meaning to be 'a long way behind'!). But they said 'NO! You're too slow - and we need you to video us doing our sprint finishes at the end!!!' So that told us!!!image I thought it might be a nice leg-loosener?

• Slowie!!!  image  Christmas avitar already????  It's not even December yet!!!

We're not doing the 5k, think that might be the straw that breaks the donkeys back. image  We are planning on going for a mile or so run on the track around the hotel on the Thursday I think to loosen the legs off after the flight on Wednesday....according to the bumph there's a mile track somewhere.

We've made the reservations for our meals on the Friday & Saturday nights, Mr CS originally booked 6.00 on the Saturday but I suggested he changes it to earlier as we'll have been up since before the sun and will probably be ready for bed by then so we're now booked in at 4 like a couple of old biddies teeheehee.   Has anyone else that's stopping at Disney thought to do that???

• Yes, we've booked for 5pm. Daren't book any earlier because we eat so much we would be hungry again by the time we went to bed!image

• Although tempted we decided against the 5K. Looks like fun though especially if you have family with you.
  • CazSoul wrote (see)

Slowie!!!  image  Christmas avitar already????  It's not even December yet!!!

We've made the reservations for our meals on the Friday & Saturday nights, Mr CS originally booked 6.00 on the Saturday but I suggested he changes it to earlier as we'll have been up since before the sun and will probably be ready for bed by then so we're now booked in at 4 like a couple of old biddies teeheehee.   Has anyone else that's stopping at Disney thought to do that???

Early bird Special image

Everything will be 2 for 1

• We only get into town on Thursday, so I think a leg stretch might be on the cards, but not the 5k.... might be a mile and a lounge in and by the pool with a beer image

Have a villa booked 10-15mins away from Disney but we are seriously considering booking in for the weekend to make the marathon day as "easy" as possible (if there is such a thing??)

I think the early eating is definately a good idea, and of course a very very early night.

I  must say, I'm hoping to have a good run out, the conditions should hopefully be great and the course looks pretty flat (ideal for a best time?) I can see why people want to jog around and take all the photo opportunities, but I was thinking... serious for the run(we have come to run a marathon after all, lol!) ... then photos afterwards with the finishers medal around my neck image

• JP

Where about is your villa  Mine is on the US27 about 15mins from Disney and an easy drive on both Saturday and Sunday Don't be too concerned about staying on Disney property as the advantage of a villa is an extra 30mins in bed 

The marathon course is  a PB course: A drop at 6 miles off the main raod then flat till about 9miles when you run along side the Disney hotels and the road drop slight incline then flat throughout Magic Kingdom at about 15miles there is a nasty camber in the road (run of the righ hand side) at about 18 half miles there is an incline that lasts about mile and half (feels more) then flat again at 22 you run up the hill to Hollywood studio then a slight rise when you enter Epcot just short of the 25 mile mark then flat to the finish

The half mostly flat but hill prior to entering Magic Kingdom and hill at around 11 miles as you enter Epcot

• Hi Slowfoot

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, more sleep is always good image   villa is more towards Kissimmee, just off Poinciana Blvd. It was the getting to, parking up, then long walk bit that was making me think about staying over at Disney, just to make things easier on run day.

• Question for those who have stayed off site previously - do we need to leave a silly amount of extra time for traffic in the mornings of the races? Reading the Disney site it says there will be significant traffic but I'm not sure if this is partly to encourage people to stay in a Disney hotel.

(We are at the Blue Herron just along from Downtown Disney on the 535)
  • MM

It normally takes about 10/15minutes from entering the park to parking up  AS with most things Disney they have plenty of marshalls parking attendants on duty

• Cheers Slowfoot. Knowing Disney efficiency I should have realised they would have it sewn up.
  • Ran 16 today and have a 10k race tomorrow with the aim of finishing under an hour   (hopefully)  image

• Go for it Slowie. *waves pom poms*

Been out for a 20miler today...schoolgirl error...I didn't straighten out the twin skin layering of my left sock and ended up with a very tasty blood blister on my little toe...Ow Ow Ow!! Gritted my teeth, shoved my foot in a bowl of salt water and popped it...F*********ck that hurt!!! Have to say though even though I was limping with the pain from my little toe I managed to keep a relatively even pace and could've carried on running for a bit longer when the Garmin eventually beeped the 20miles.

Nice bottle of wine tonight as we're having a lazy day tomorrow...can't remember when we last had a bottle of wine.
  • Well done CazSoul and Slowfoot image We did our 16 today - the first time Ive ever run more than 13 so something of a milestone for me. Feel pretty tired OMG 10 more to add to get to the finish !!!!!!!!!!!! Still must stay positive - I remember when I used to collapse on the sofa after running 6.
  • Well done, some good mileage totals clocked up image

I was working Sat and had a 10km booked in for Sun, so was a chillout weekend after a couple of high mileage Sundays.

I think we're down to 5 weeks to go.... yikes image don't they come round fast as you get close!!

• Too true JPAtko - I am using my advent calendar as the countdown (big kid image) by the time I open number 19 all the long runs will be done and dusted - YIKES that's really exciting
  • Hope to get out tomorrow for a long run (fingers crossed) however feeling a bit rough today.

Illness rather than drink induced  image

IF all goes to plan hope to do 18 but if not it will be a short run. Working Sunday so will have to put off my long run till next weekend

• I'm thinking 18th will be my last long run too image

Would like to long run this weekend, but working Saturday and I have a 10mile run on Sunday which was carried over from last year when it was cancelled due to the icy weather, so a 10mile tempo it's gonna be this weekend!!

Got my new running shoes for the marathon this week, so it will be a good distance to "run them in"

• Managed 5 image

Think it may be a case of man flu

• we did 16 last week and are due to do another tomorrow followed by 2 18s before beginning to taper - However, we've got unexpected visitors this weekend so Im feeling guilty about going out for just under 3 hours tomorrow and leaving them. Would it make a great amount of difference if we did a shorter run tomorrow and picked it up again next week???
  • MM

Nope go out for an hour and do some interval training and keep the legs fresh for next weekend

• It's always nice to bag the big miles, but if you've done plenty of build-up training, I don't think an easier weekend run will do too much harm MM. Like CS says, intervals or even hilly route for an hour is good and might  freshen up the legs for your 2 18milers image
  • Thanks for the advice guys - will let you know how we get on. Good luck with your runs if you're out for the long haul tomorrow x
  • So So happy - my lovely brother in law offered to cook lunch so we could go for our planned run, he has just started running and understands how important it is to us, so we took advantage and did the 16. Its lovely to know the family are supporting us image
  • Well done MM, glad you got the mileage in to ease your worries image 16 miles in the bank... kerching

I took my new runners out to the 10miler, but it was very cold, very windy and very very wet, so I left them in the car for another day, lol. Was a good decision as I'm sure I would have blistered, there was so much standing water, and rain and a few horrible hailstone showers (felt sorry for those who opted for running vests n shorts haha)  Despite the weather it was a good tempo run, even managed a new PB, so very happy too image

Less than 5 weeks to go now image

Has anyone used the pacers at Disney? and are they any good? I think they are Clif Bar