A marathon in 4:15 (or maybe less)

Comments

• Hi Flo!  Hope France was good.

I am using the Garmin ready plan from here (the 4 hour one) but not necessarily trying to keep to the paces suggested for 4.15.  I seek advice from Steve about the intervals each week, use my target MP and my HMP PB paces.  For long runs I have had solid advice to do them way slower than PMP (+90 - 120) so yes they are slow compared even to my marathon PB pace which is 10:09 min miling let alone what I want to do!

I used the Shades 3 day plan for my first marathon, aimed to go sub 5 and did so.  Second and third times time I used the structure of the 3 day plan for my long runs but added in speedwork and cut about 22 min off my time.  In other words you can reduce your time without doing much differently.  Putting some miles at MP into a long run is one way of practicing the pace, so are tempo runs.

If you ignore trail marathons run in ultra training I've only once done a long run that was really over 20 miles and that  was when I was told to run for the target time (4.20) but very slowly.  I've looked at my log and the pace for that was exactly 2 min slower than I ran for that PB a month later.  I noticed that I ran 20 miles in the weeks each side of that too.

• Intervals tonight.  6 lots of 1 Km with 200m recoveries.

The plan was start with one around MP, then gradually get quicker and try to get well below 6 on the last few

Warm up mile was ever so slow and as usual I found myself wondering how on earth I could find a bit of speed.  However:

6:06
    6:00
    5:57
    5:54
    5:50
    5:46

To my mind that isn't what I would call 'well below' 6 however I've had positive feedback about 'good strong reps' image

My ankle was aching towards the end but I was more concerned by the amount of aching in my legs in general during the recoveries.  I'm wondering whether I'm running differently because of the ankle without meaning too or maybe it is the effect of a week off.  I am seeing my physio tomorrow afternoon so will discuss it with him and see what he advises.  

• Good news from the physio.  He is happy for me to run with aches but I must stop if there is actual pain.  He did some work breaking down old scar tissue (ouch, said through gritted teeth) and has given me strengthening exercises for it plus some balance stuff.

Forced into the town for tonight's run and  I decided I need to take a notebook so I can record all the defective street lights and report them to the council.  Plus can someone explain why we have a street light switch off along the ring road to save money/light pollution but really bright lighting next to the new housing development? (Followed of course with a non-working one)

Took it very, very easy in case of holes in the path.  7 miles in 1:21:20, average pace of 11:37

I'm thinking of investing in a leg massage

• Tempo run tonight with 4 miles at MP and after last night's experience with the lights I decided it would be safer to head over to my club and run with one of the groups as the lighting and most of the surfaces are better over there.

Joined the group aiming for 10 mm as I wanted to make sure I had some sort of warm up mile plus there was no-one wanting to do 9.30 anyway.  At first it felt really tough and I had that usual wondering would I be able to pick it up feeling.  After about a quarter of a mile though it suddenly felt much easier and I found myself moving from the back to the front of the group.  Began to run with a lady back at her first club night since an ankle injury in Feb and by 1 mile there was clear air between us and the other 5 or 6 people.

I said I was going to speed up a bit and she decided to come with me so off we went.  If I'm honest a lot of the time she seemed to be going more easily than me but then her legs were a bit longer!

Didn't entirely hit MP but still a good workout and I had some company for a change.  Perhaps the odd bit of chat slowed us down image

Very slow cool down mile which included negotiating cars parked so far onto the pavement that we had to inch past as there was one driving past at the same time and stopping to let 2 buses go by as the pavement was full of hairy dog image

10:37
    9:57
    9:31
    9:45
    10:01 (I was convinced I was speeding up but it took forever to get the pace down from 10:07 on the Garmin)
    11:34

Once again some ache in the ankle but no pain (unless I prod around where the deep tissue massage was done)

Rest day tomorrow

• OK, completely off topic but my main activity for my rest evening on a Friday is shopping.  Tonight I spotted that the woman behind us at the till had a box in the front of her trolley which said on the front:

'Complete small dog with beef and vegetables'    imageimageimage

• Today I actually ran MK parkrun instead of helping out.  I think today was event number 90, I have run 21 of them and helped at a lot more.  I decided to simply have a nice run in the sunshine today so took 31:41 which made me 5th in my age group (there were another 7 behind me).

then up to Sweatshop to see what they thought of a couple of pairs of my shoes as I've been getting quite achy feet and legs.  My remaining pair of Waveriders are just short of 400 miles but I usually get 450 out of them.  Pete looked at them and immediately asked if I'd had an injury because of the wear in the left one.  That'll be the beginning of this year then - shoes are now in the bin!

My original pair of Nimbus look to still have 50 to 100 miles in them so no need really to buy any more shoes yet image ............................. although there is an offer in the shop next weekend image

Now, is it worth getting all the garden furniture back out of the garage?

• OK, since this is supposed to tell it like it is (warts and all) today's run can only be described as complete crap!

I opted for the canal again but this time to the north of MK as it is a nice round 7.5 miles to the canal museum which is where the boats disappear into a tunnel.  There was also a weekend festival there (Stoke Bruerne at War) which meant there would be loads of decorated boats to look at.  

The final plus point is the ice cream counter where I planned on buying a lolly and some water but this turned out to be my downfall.  I foolishly decided that my doughnut bottle would be fine to get me there and then back again after a refill but hadn't really appreciated just how hot it was going to be.

After 5 miles I was producing paces starting with a 12 and this didn't improve.  I spaced out my drinks and was looking forward to a nice cold drink at the turn.  The shop only had sparkling water and I discovered that while that is very nice with a meal it is just not right during a run.  I drank a bit, put some into my bottle and left the rest on the side (they only had big bottles too).  Then headed off the way I had come sucking on a Calippo.

At my next drink point I realised how naff the water tasted but had to drink it.  By 11 miles I was promising myself a stop at the Navigation Inn (13 miles) to see if I had enough change left for some J2O.  Thankfully I did and even more thankfully the lass behind the bar offered to fill my bottle for me so I could knock back the entire bottle of juice rather than put some into mine.  It didn't touch the sides.

I'd already dipped my cap in the canal once and did it again as I left the pub but by 14 miles was feeling so hot that I dunked it several times and used it to douse myself in water (kept my mouth closed just in case).  If I'm honest the only thing that stopped me 'accidentally' falling in was the idea of driving home in wet kit.

It obviously had some effect because I finally managed to put in a last mile starting with 11 again.

15 miles in just over 3 hours is not good.

I know it was hot and I messed up on the hydration but my legs are just so tired and achy at the moment.  I kept telling myself that  I was still turning out faster stuff when needed during the week and that I know I can run 26.2 miles but I have this niggling voice in my head questioning what I am going to be like in 2 week's time.  I know that I have done the training but at the moment I just seem to be getting slower and slower.  

I don't think I have ever  looked forward to the last week of tapering as much as now.

(Tomorrow is a rest day by the way image)

• Not so bad today although I could have done without the extra layer provided by the hi-vis vest.  Still better safe than flattened!

Intervals today of 10 x 400m with 100m recoveries.  The plan was start at 2:30 and reduce by 5 seconds a time until down to 2:00 (7th rep) then do whatever felt comfortable for the last 3 (possibly even MP if I wanted)

Nice start:
    2:31
    2:25
    2:21
    2:17
    2:10
    2:06

But then try as I might I couldn't hit the 2:00.  This resulted in me trying to do it for all of the remaining reps which wasn't really what you would call comfortable.

2:03
    2:02
    2:09  (I blame the bike that suddenly swerved round me from behind on a narrow pavement)
    2:02

Feeling much better after the day off and looking forward to just 6 miles tomorrow image

• I was 'lucky' this afternoon and had an appointment with a couple of needles  so was home nice and early.  This meant I was able to do the whole run in daylight and go up round the short loop at Stowe.

The 6 miles became 6.59 as the thought of stopping running and walking through the town past a couple of pubs with smokers outside didn't really appeal.

Slow start but got going nicely after a couple of miles so averaged 11:09mm for the pace image

Lots of leaves underfoot now - nice and crunchy.

• Phew, autumn is well and truly here now.  I got home to find Mr USB Junior raking leaves off the grass image

I went over to the club night again for my tempo run.  Had decided to go with the 9:30 mm group as this would be quicker than marathon pace even if it wasn't as quick as the HMP prescribed in the schedule.

I'd decided that if they set off at that pace then I'd do 3 miles which takes me to the turn off and then jog 2 miles back.   In fact the first mile was done at 10 mm so I counted that as warmup even if it was rather quicker than I would have done solo.  

5.01 miles in 49:00 which is 9:47 average pace (or very nearly PMP)

Splits were:
    10:01
    09:49
    09:23 (I was amazed to find myself talking in sentences)
    09:26 (on my own now but kept the pace up)
    10:14 (again a slightly quicker than usual cool down)

Felt really good all the way so the taper is clearly starting to have an effect

Rest day tomorrow

• The plan for today was for 3 miles at an easy pace and I had decided where I was going before I got out of bed.

Then as I did a couple of things online I realised my vision was a bit funny and after that the zigzag lines that herald a big headache began to appear.  Headed straight for the cupboard for ibuprofen and then lay down until my vision went back to normal.  Some more (different) painkillers rendered me capable of shopping with Mr USB for trousers and picking up some Zero tablets and a caffeine gel but I still had a lingering iffy feeling.  Drugs have worn off and head is still sore if I move it too quickly.

Needless to say I didn't run but am hoping to feel ok for 10 miles tomorrow.

Just as well this happened today and not next weekend.

• And so to my last long run ...................... of this campaign at least.   One of those days when the answer to the question 'How far are you going?' is 'Only 10 miles' image

I decided on an undulating out and back route that uses a relatively quiet back road that winds through some nice deciduous woodland.  Met a couple of cyclists but no other runners today.  Debated moving the squirrel lying on its back in the middle of the road but decided not too in case the messy bit was underneath.  Also spotted a dead goose just inside the woods - perhaps it got hit by a car and staggered into the trees.

Slow start up the hill out of town but then picked it up and stayed mostly around the very low 11's for pace after mile 2.  

11:35
    11:23
    11:07
    11:05
    10:53 (a net downhill and as I discovered when I turned round a pretty stiff breeze behind me)
    11:08 (determined not to let the net uphill spoils the splits)
    11:02
    11:06
    11:03
    11:03

Overall the average pace was 11:08mm image

Now it is time to start winding right down.  The week ahead looks like this:

Monday - rest day
    Tuesday - 12 x 200m with 200m recoveries
    Wednesday - 4 miles easy with 5 x MP 100m strides
    Thursday - 3 miles easy with 4 x MP 100m strides
    Friday - rest day
    Saturday - 2 miles easy with 3 x MP 100m strides
    Sunday at 08.45 am - Abingdon marathon

Not sure how the week is going to actually go after Wednesday as on Thursday my evening will be taken up with going to a careers event with my daughter.  I suppose the best thing would be to haul myself out of bed early and do it before work.

• Morning USB, glad to see things are back on track.

Some interesting wildlfie spotted yesterday.

Have a nice rest today.

• Don't worry too much about getting the sessions in this last week - rest is more important! Particularly if you (like so many of us) find it hard to sleep deeply the night before an "A" race.
  • Evening all image

Suze - because they are a regualr feature I forgot to mention the cute and very much alive alpacas!

Fido - I am unlikely to do the Saturday session - somehow 2 miles just doesn't seem worth it image  Will you be out on the course again?

This morning I woke up and swallowed ..................... ouch!  Then I remembered I'd bitten the back of my tongue last night.  Phew

This afternoon while tidying up toys I let a large wooden lid drop a bit too quickly.  Luckily it hit my thumb and not my toe image

Has anyone seen the cotton wool?

• The first roundabout being nice to queuing drivers, then peep-o-day lane. Same as last year more or less. No doubt the hiviz vest will be just as flattering as ever :/
  • Nice and easy to spot you then image
  • Tonight was the last lot of intervals. 12 x 200m but with a nice 200m recovery attached.  I was advised to start at MP and get gradually quicker without forcing it too much.  I had an idea that moving from 1:13 down to 1:00 would be about right.

Went out to a stretch of disused road a mile from home that is about 250m long so just right for this session.  The daylight was just about gone by the time I headed back towards home but I think by then I'd got used to the road which has far less potholes than the ones in use so didn't feel anxious about falling.

1:13  1:12  1:11  1:09 (going along nicely)

1:07  1:05  1:04  1:00 (that last one just sort of happened without meaning to)

1:00  0:59  0:57  0:56  (back to the gradual reduction)

Saw an owl on the way back image

• And breathe .....................

Yesterday I really wasn't in the right frame of mind for a run when I got home but I eventually pushed myself out of the door to do 4 miles including 5 lots of 100m strides.  Some cogitating during the first half mile resolved some stuff in my head and after that I was glad I'd got myself out.

4.01 miles in 44:19

Busy, busy, busy at work today but made sure I got my jacket potato for lunch (we'll draw a veil over the strawberry compote with streusel topping that followed it)

I'm thinking of doing 2 or 3 miles tomorrow to replace today's 3 and Saturday's 2.  

• No running yesterday as I took my daughter to a presentation about apprenticeships that was a 25 mile drive away.  They made us wait around outside the auditorium and look at some college stands then got us to go in en masse.  We were greeted by this music:

Goosebump time image

Going out for a couple of miles in a minute.  Will have to negotiate the fun fair that is being set up across the middle of town.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    UBS  hope you manage a stress free and relaxing day today in preperation for tomorrow.  image  Chill image
  • I've been over and race directed at parkrun this morning.  Gorgeous weather with a little mist over the lake although I did have ice on my windscreen for the first time this year.

I am busy ignoring the bits of the house that could do with a proper clean (my unemployed son has his jobs to do each week but there are things like corners that need a proper do).  How do I feel?  More nerves than before Paris for certain but glad not to be doing things like trailing around an Expo.  I'm actually trying to replicate the day I had before I ran in Copenhagen when my friends took me to help at their parkrun followed by a cafe but then left me to spend the afternoon/evening on their sofa.  I may wander down to pay the paper bill later and will have to collect Mr USB from the station later but that is it for me.

I've been trying to avoid mentioning times because I really have no idea.  Not racing anything beyond 4 miles over the summer and nothing since I got back from Crete means I have nothing to go on really although the first mile before I did my ankle was comfy and about 10 seconds quicker than MP.  The latter part of the training has not been as smooth as before Paris because of my holiday and the ankle injury but I know this course which has seen my 2 fastest marathons (last year was run off the back of training for an ultra with lots of offroad marathons and no speedwork).

I think the important thing is to remember what I learnt 2 years ago and not start too fast.  When you know lots of the runners and marshalls it is easy to overdo it and i saw a large PB shrink over the last 6 miles that time.

I'm sure I still have a faster marathon in me and Abingdon is certainly a good course for it.

• So, what happened?

Perfect day for a marathon if a little chilly at 8.45 am.  Only took a couple of miles for my hands to warm up though.  Target pace was 9.44 for a 4:15 and I knew I shouldn't go faster that 9.35 in the early bit as I have made that mistake before.

Definitely not a repeat of Paris when I was struggling to hit the pace from the outset

9.45 (walked to drink 2 mouthful of water)
    9.46 (water again)
    9.51 (water)
    9.57 (water)

So to this point not on 4:15 pace but nicely under my PB of 4:26:52

And then I began to feel some twinges in my ankle.  Not acute pain but a feeling of something that wasn't quite right.  As we turned onto a footpath/cycleway through some woods I looked at the ambulance parked up and opted to ignore it.  The path is not tarmaced and although not really rough was just a bit uneven.  

Passed clubmates at the halfway point and was asked how I was.  Gave an honest reply and then wondered if that affected my brain.  Whether it did or not the discomfort continued and was appearing with every footfall.  Added to this my pace fell right off to 11 mm and any attempt to pick up increased the discomfort.  So I started to consider the options.

(1)  Take a painkiller and keep going - not sensible, I carry the drugs in case my bunion really plays up and this was an injury with the risk of making it worse if I couldn't feel it

(2)  Just keep going at whatever pace I could keep up - still the risk of aggravating things and maybe not finishing anyway.

(3)  Give up - the sensible option.  

I slowed to a walk, tried to run again and then stopped my watch.

So a total of 13.83 miles in 2:16:42

• Abingdon has a loop that is run twice and I was close to where the second lap started.  With a lot less discomfort when walking I decided I would get myself through the 3 miles or so to the finish. It actually took me about 90 minutes for lots of reasons apart from the fact that I was walking quite slowly.

Many offers from marshalls of help which I politely declined after explaining the situation. 

A lady watching outside her house with jelly babies  looked so concerned that I had trouble not crying.

A friend directing runners at the separation point for the second lap abandoned her megaphone and fished a space blanket out of her pack for me

Another lady in the middle of town showed me a short cut

The people of the last water station gave me a Mars Bar

Then as the pedestrian crossing by the sports centre came into sight and I began to get a bit emotional

A club mate who was one of the organisers was in charge at the crossing and asked what had happened.  That did it for me

I got across the road and blubbed my way across the car park to the track and the finish.  I was determined to get rid of my chip as quickly as I could so that I could text a friend at the 11 mile water station about what had happened.

Found I kept having to explain to people why I was back already so got changed quite quickly and headed to the pub where i knew I'd be able to get a chat with a friend whose advice I value before the mob descended.

I am now going to draw a veil over 2011.  It was clearly not my year.

The plan is for a week off followed by a period of running just 3 or 4 slow miles on alternate days.  Things will gradually build up again and I do have plans for next year but I am not intending any racing beyond parkrun or cross country until next year.

• It's odd how we just "know" whether something's a go or a no-go. You described it very well.
    It is always sad not to see people coming through the loop a second time - you hope you just missed them when looking after other runners, but of course sometimes it's not the case.
  • Just popping in to give (((hugs))) image
    I'm sorry today didn't have a different ending, USB.

I feel very much the same about 2011 (still dithering about Snowdonia Marathon in two weeks) and I haven't suffered as much as you.

We'll raise a glass to a new running year for 2012? image
  • bad luck B.  Big hugs from Bo-bo and me... we've both been waiting for the news.  Enjoy the break.  2012 is the year for big sporting achievements.

• USB, I very well written report. A tough day for you. Nice to see you had plenty of help from folk.

I like your plan.. You will have a great 2012
  • It was the right brave decision to pull out, you will be back more capable and quicker as a result..

Good Luck

Stephen

• Really disappointed for you hope you are ok! Try to remember why you started running. I know for me it was so I could stay healthy and eat chocolateimage