A marathon in 4:15 (or maybe less)

Comments

• I think I'd like them better without shorts - I bought a Ron Hill skort and can't run in it because the shorts ride up so image
    Must say, even though I'm not a girly girl at all, I like the idea of these - they might be cooler (as in not sweaty) to wear than having elastic around your waist? Are they any different to tennis dresses?
  • Must be bad to get a lifetime ban!

Would feel wierd running in a dress!

• I'd worry about it blowing up and showing my knickers image

I have finally plucked up the courage and watched the Paris video with the sound on

• I'll let you know when mine arrives. 

Frodo:  my Ron hill running skirt (I have two) isn't too bad, but my gore one is the best as the shorts are compression - really fab!!! 

USB:  exceptionally brave of you, but I would imagine not as bad as you were expectingimage, cathartic I would hopeimage

Well Bikram yoga was fab - if I do that twice a week from now on I'll be able to cope with any kind of heat, 1 1/2 hours of yoga at 100 degree - lovely.  The trott was good too, 5 mile circuit and used the ups on the cliff path as a fartlek work out, all done in 46 mins and felt good.

• I don't know that I'd call it brave PF. I knew how it looked already but did want to know how it sounded (particularly as my parents may have watched it). I thought that Dan our cameraman did a very good job with it image

I've been out and run 6.52 miles tonight at an average pace of 10.47. First mile was 11.28 but all under 11 after that. I knew my legs were going to feel rough as they had been all day at work (been up and down step ladders doing the half termly cleaning) but strangely they didn't feel any worse when I sped up and maybe even felt better for it.
  • image nice to see that the legs are still working wellimage

Just a thought and don't know if everyone's seen this on MikeFrog's thread, but Plum mentioned the problems of electrolyte balance in such hot weather.  It's not something that I'd have thought of, but with the heat, we perspire more, so lose salts.  Add to that the increased intake of water, what little is left gets diluted even more, which can lead to cramps etc.  He recommended taking Nuun tablets (or the electrolyte solutions you can get for stomach problems)in water bottles when temperatures reach the sort of levels they've been in the last two weeks.

I've revised my aspirations, knocking things back to 3milers to start with, not sure about NF, but possibly Luton (at end of year, so gives me more time).  I've found a nice little 3m route around the corner - with 1m of hill in the middle, so it's 1/2m there, 1/2m up hill, 1/2m down hill, turn around and go back, 1/2m up hill, 1/m down hill, 1/2m home.  Might as well make the most of it if I'm keeping distances shorterimage

• That sounds a good route Jeepers.  You'll be able to set targets for the different sections if you want to.

I started using Nuun tablets in my camelbak last summer after a run where I thought I could probably have done with some salts.  I did it again last weekend and need to get some more now before the enxt long run.  Last night I took a donut bottle with me which isn't usual practice and drank a bit every couple of miles.

• BB ✭✭✭
    I use SiS electrolyte in my little bottles for very long runs or when it's hot. I used it from the start at London and didn't get cramp or hit the wall, so it does help
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

My foot feels a lot better today now that it's all strapped up but I'm going swimming tonight which means that the strapping will have to come off - it's not waterproof and I don't have anything else to use - except elatoplast which I'm alergic to - I'm allergic to the strapping as well but it's over somethinh else.

I'll know how my foot is fairing in the pool as pushing off from the side is as bad as pushing off when running.

Not sure If I should cycle to the pool - long way or go to the local gym and pool. the gym is quite a good workout but the pool is awful.

imageQuite like the idea of a cold draft in this heat USB. I think those dresses look fun. I don't like anything round my waist either.

• I've been doing a bit of interwebby research and there are loads of tennis dresses that look very similar. I may treat myself and see how I get on...

image to the poorly foot feeling better, BBM image
  • Hope the swim goes well BBM.  Get the strapping straight back on afterwards.

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing tonight.  I now have one No Longer a Teen to replace the Nearly Not a Teen and we have offered to take him out for a meal.  He is still deciding what the answer is!  That means that I shall probably be swapping days round and running in the morning  which is fine as it is the weekend already image

If I'm honest the only kit I am going to need to replace in the near future is shoes

• Hi- I've used both the zero and Nuun tablets in races- I like them, I break one in half, wrap it in tin foil, and then I can make up a bew solution during the race- mixed 50:50 with lucozade sport it's great!

I got Pfiinger and Douglas off amazon yesterday- have read it, and am horrified at thevolume of mileage suggested, but they also give useful pace info or trainig sessions, etc, I doublt I'll manage the full training plan this year, (it will take some years to work up to that mileage), but will base next campaign aroung what they say.

Wow- is D2D off the forum then/-Presumably she'll turn up again with a different forum name, but as she is pretty unmistakable, she'll be spotted right away. Strange how people think it's OK tosay things online that they would never say face- to -face ( or at least I hope not).

• My understanding is that she has been served with a permanent ban. I think she may have tried to reappear but was quickly spotted and dealt with.

Breaking the Nuun in half sounds a good idea Tricia. I was wondering what to do in a hot race.

Been out to the Red Hot buffet so now feeling stuffed but have a happy son. Will run tomorrow
  • HI, /been following all the ASoics threads- Really sorry about your race Bridget but glad you are getting right back on that horse. I did London and had an awful race. Was hoping ot knock 20 mins off my PB to get 4hours, ending up putting on 20 minutes -4:40.

I want to do another marathon and was thinking of Lock Ness (and lots of people here seem to be doing it) but I am put off on three things:

1. Hills -Are they bad? Hills at 18-20 miles sound like bad news.
    Will they frustrate a PB?
    2. The start -Sounds like a lot of messing about at the beginning. I wonder if the faffing at the start of London was a factor for me doing badly. I like races where you turn up and go.
    3. Spectators: Will my BF only be able to see me once in the last few miles?

Sorry to crash your thread. I deliberately want views on Loch Ness from people at around my pace.

Struth x
  • Struthie - have done Loch ness 3 times, best 4hr5, worst 4hr14and it is a lovely route.

1 - The hill at 20 miles is long but OK, a lot of undulations in first 6-7 miles make it hard to settle into a pace but as long as you don't go off too fast down the hills also OK. Long flat stretch along the loch in the middle and overall downhill. My PB course so far so can be done.

2 - You have to assemble in Inverness at 7.30 for a long bus ride to the start at 10am, 2 years ago a bit of hassle with the buses meant a delayed start but usually runs well. Best to have a snack on the bus if possible.

3 - Not much in the way of spectators in the first 20 miles, a few come out who live along the route, once you get to the outskirts of Inverness lots of folk lining the river and at the finish. Your friend could wait at one side of the river then nip across the foot bridge to see you at the finish.

Hope that's helpful, it's a good race but busy!

• Hi struthie - all welcome here image

As the sun is now high in the sky I've decided to wait to run until this evening.  It's not that we've had a huge lie in though!  We found ants gorging themselves on the hot cross buns so have been dealing with them!

• The ants or the buns, I wonderimage.

I have to say, that I find it quite weird and rather unsettling to be having Easter with this kind of weather - doesn't feel like it all.  I am confusedimage.

15 mins on x-trainer for me today, was going to go for a run, then thought time to be "Mrs Sensible" so opted for x-trainer and only a short while as I haven't used it for a long time.  So far, so good. . .

Bicep / tricep exercises by washing the kitchen floorimage

Self-control exercises by making Easter eggs for off-spring and not helping self to anyimageimage .

• Loch Ness- yes, what Elspeth says- a great race, the coach journey at the start is fine, ( even for a real travel- sick wimp like me). Great atmosphere, as the runners tend to be friendly, rather than barging each other out of the way. I find the course a lot tougher than , say, edinburgh or lochaber, but they're spring marathons, so no use to you this year.

Why not do LN, then do one of the 2 flatter ones next spring, and have 2 shots at your PB- it takes the pressure off, knowing you've another race lined up, even if the first one doesn't go to plan.

Ants.........image

Hot cross buns............image- never saw what folk see in them...............each to their own ( says she eating her MARMITE on toast)

• Hot cross buns are brilliantimage, especially the ones from our local bakery, which were sold out this morning when I got thereimageimage. Great for carb loading pre marathon too!
  • So far we have dealt with the ants and I am debating whether to toast or bin the HCBs!  My favourites are fom Waitrose or M&S and have cranberries in. 

Marmite is lovely too - only not on HCBs image

Easter weather?  I can remembering ending up babysitting overnight one Easter Satuday because the parents got snowed in at their party!

• Finally went out for my run at 7 pm when the temperatue had dropped to the low 20's but still took some wate with me despite it only being 5 miles tempo.  I drank a little bit evey 2 mile which seemed to work, I think I'd have been too dry if I'd left it to the usual 3.

Once again lacking in confidence about my ability to hit MP for the middle 3 miles, lots of thoughts of what to do if I couldn't, but after the first half mile of warm up things got better and I hit a decent pace image  It does seem as if I feel worse trying to go slowly and better when I start working my cardiovascular side a bit.

• Woo hoo! image

20 miles have been run and my legs felt tons better than last week. Essentially they felt like what passes for 'normal' over that distance.  Overall the pace averaged 11:24 mm with the first 2 or 3 run very slowly and then a couple that crept under 11 mm in the middle.

Went out before 8 am to avoid too much heat and found there was even quite a nice breeze in places. 

I've been experimenting wearing a hat rather than sunglasses and didn't find it too hot which was my worry.  In the past I've only worn a peaked hat to keep the rain out of my eyes.  Added bonus is that it has a towelling band inside so I didn't get salt in my eyes either.

Tried out the Hi5 Zero today as that was what I could get yesterday.  Citrus flavour is nice.

• Great to hear you're feeling better- it's not hot up here in sunny scotland- actually drizzling!

I'm sitting in the house doing guilt- free interweb shopping off wiggle- hi viz jacket, with vouchers I got for birthday- an attempt to reduce the chance of getting flattened by traffic on my (increasingly frequent) morning/ evening commute.

Remember the zero has no calories- only electrolytes- so take  some jelly babies too! ( or shot blocks) .

Amazingly- for the first time I can recall, I seem to have lost some weight without really trying- perhaps it's the higher mileage pushing up my metabolic rate, now that I've stopped the pre -marathon excessive eating. I'd love it if I just shed 1/2 stone!- Would help the pace too, I'm guessing.

Not running today- mebbe tomorrow, depends what OH wants to do, since I'm off work for once.

• I do take jelly babies on training runs - eat 5 at a time
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)
    I do take jelly babies on training runs - eat 5 at a time

OK - from now on in all talk of marathons is banned - la la la I can't hear you - USB makes it to the top of the 'ignore' list...

Can't hear you - sticks fingers in ears.

• Why BBM?  Whats up??

USB - go girl re 20 mlrimageimageimage  I did something similar but a bit less this am... only a 20km but earlyish  morning 7amish mist over the fields - when I got to the woods only me and a spotted woodpecker to be seen was greatimage

• I've just re-read my line about the jelly babies and had a sudden picture of me running along with a group of them image

• ha ha i can just imagine you having to rugby tackle an accompanying jellybaby to the ground every so often to refuel.
    Glad you are feeling better USB image
  • This is very civilised.  I am sitting on the patio, drinking coffee and foruming.  I do love our WiFi image

Rest day today which means a trip out to get some reading matter as I've run out and don't tend to re-read them followed by a barbecue

• Don't any of them try to escape once they've seen a few of their mates get eatenimage

Well done on the 20 miler, back on form and ready to goimageimage