A marathon in 4:15 (or maybe less)

Comments

• All welcome RR image  I think you should sue the shop over the filling!

There was a huge increase in parkrunners everywhere last weekend, over 11000 across the country.  We had always had a good view tags left on our string but last week I had to start getting new ones out as we had a massive record turn out.

• Morning!

12 miles out of the way.  Average pace was 11:18 but was pulled down a bit in the middle by some off road stuff.  

I'd been wanting for a while to link 2 roads without having to run along a bendy main road and worked out the footpaths across the fields.  Unfortunately one farmer is clearly not happy as one field was long grass with no sign of a path and the other had been planted with a crop (not the yellow peril thank god).  Slowed me right up and it took another mile on the road for my legs to really recover.

A couple of rest days now and then the last few tapering days

• Sounds good USB, I hate it when a route is spoilt by a nasty road ... although sounds like you'll have to get stamping out your own path through the fields (can you run in wellies? or old school DM boots??)

I'm off to brave the dreadmill, have got new shoes and I need to try to test how they feel over longer distances without getting them dirty ... it'll be a tough challenge as I really struggle with treadmills - I've never stuck one out beyond 2 miles. I don't know why they hurt my motivation so much.

I need to do an LSR at about 20 miles too so will have to try to figure out the logistics - might do as long as I can bear the treadie then if the shoes feel OK sprint straight out of the gym - tho I guess that's naughty cos the trainers won't be broken in.

GRRR hate trying to fit in long runs - think I need to borrow that forum rolling pin again!
  • Can you try a route that loops past your home so that if the trainers aren't that comfortable, you can change them?  If your shoes are the same ones that you normally wear, then you might get away with it.  I get the same shoes each time, so it's not too difficult for me to break in new ones, but if they're very different, might be wiser to err on the side of caution.
  • Thanks Jeepers, I could ordinarily but the shop have kindly said that if the shoes don't suit me then I can swap them providing the soles are still clean.

I'll confess they are pretty different to my last ones too image I'm a little jealous that you've found your perfect shoes.

I think I'm going to hit the gym now and try to brave the treadmill for as long as possible. It wont be 20 miles and I don't want to break my LSR so as I'm not starting work til 12 tomorrow I'm going to do my long run before work and stop worrying about it!

OK enough procrastinating I'd better actually do some running image
  • OWWW so my new shoes feel fine on but I got a cramp in my right foot after 3.5 miles, hasn't ever been a problem before ... could it be the new shoes or just one of those things?

There's only one thing for it *insert dramatic sigh* back to the evil treadmill again tomorrow ;(
  • solb:  I used to get cramping just under my toes, found laces too tight so moved to elastic laces, not been a problem sinceimage.  Can you take them back if give you problems?

RR:  you've found us thenimage, I'm waving!!!

USB:  well done you, my number arrived in the post for the 1/2 on 22 may, did the last bit on friday, ended up being a hilly 6 miler, then did a 4.25 miles off road yesterday, then 9,5 miles today in 3 sets of tempo trotting, avg pace 8.35 so pleased with that if a little tired during run.  Will do a 12 miler next sunday, then a 10 the week before the 1/2. 

Oh on a side issue my mum and 2 of her friends are over for a week on wednesday - will need all the trotting I can get in to relieve the stress!!!  Will be lovely to see her, haven't since november, but lots of entertaining to be done and Mr PF is away on business from next monday!!!  Lucky devil!!!

• PF - that's crafty planning by OH!

solb - I can't stand dreadmill running either.  My limit is about half an hour.  Until I got given a pair of Asics I always wore the same brand/model but the review of the most recent upgrade mention the toe box being narrower which may not work with my bunions.  Will have to head to a shop soon though as my oldest pair have less than 50 miles to go.

• PF - waving back! And, you may be interested to hear, I've just been out and bought myself a skort. Feels really comfortable, planning to try it out tomorrow. It's an adidas one, I think it might actually be for tennis, but it seems to do the trick.

Currently shopping for training plans.The plan I had for Paris never went above 40 miles a week, which didn't feel like enough, so I'm considering one that goes up to 50.

Tricialitt - did you survive the parkrun? How did it go?

• RR:  enjoy the skort!!!  my favourite is the gore one, oh and my running dress arrived, fab wore it saturday with compression shorts underneath.

Bikram yoga for me at 9 this morning, stretching everything out.  A relaxed dog walk later and that's about it until trott tuesday and cleaning the house in preparation for my mum!!!

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Yup- Park run was great- time was perhaps not brilliant- 24:30- but came third in my "category" - (old biddies)- out of 24, so not too bad, I suppose!

Main thing is that it's an enjoyable way to so some speed work occaisionally, but can't ever be a regular thing becuase of work commitments,- will try to make time to do it every couple of months, though.

Rested/ recovered yesterday, but went out for 10miles in the hills above my house this morning- Gorgeous!- although slightly alarming, as I'm usually a "flat earth" runner- only gradualted from the treadmill to roads about 3 years ago, and never usually run off road!- Was a bit nervous about wrecking an ankle- I see an excuse for some off road shoes image.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    PS treadmills- I've been known to do a 20miler on one! ( 3hr 15 mins)- just got zoned out, watching a film- awful, couldn't do it now  I've discovered the joys of outdoorsy running!
  • tricia:  I  love off road running, also its a great way to make a road run more interesting if you throw in an off road sectionimage, only use my trial runners when wet or snowyimage, will be out on the cliff path here on jersey tomorrow morning with the dogs!!
  • Hi Thanks for information Elspeth. I have been on holiday and have just seen it. Desire to do marathon has faded a bit...
  • It'll come back again struthie image

I did 200m intervals tonight but made a mistake by doing them along the river.  Swarms of little flies everywhere image

• Hello to all the coasters on here! yeh it was a great fun thing to be part of! image

Just caught up with the posts! 

Bridget...  is it this weekend for Halstead? Sending you positive vibes and good luck for it! image

I've ran a 4 miler and 3 miler this week, and perhaps now feel good enough to get back to running proper since London..... even did a few relays with the kids at the club on Tuesday. (big child I am!)image

• This Parkrun thing..............is it easy to set up? Would be great to have one up here somewhere?
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Hi, sorry to crash in (I usually post on a different thread).

Wanted to let those that are interested know that there is a competition now on RW to win sub-4.15 (or other) Xempo gear.

Either via the RW homepage (no.2 on the carousel), or directly here
  • Sadly I only qualify for the white (unclassified) version at the moment and have loads of tops anyway!

Alison - yes Halstead is this weekend and it looking like it may be another hot one.  I plan to have some electrolyte drinks out on the route and will just have to see how it  goes I think.

Was supposed to do 4 easy miles last night and as it was the Silverstone 10K I decided to go up there (10 min away) and make use of the lovely surface.  Ran 2 miles at the back of the field which was very odd as I could see loads of runners ahead but it all looked like slow motion film.  Then turned round and ran back again which was great fun as I was able to say hello to loads of friends and let everyone else think they were the first person to tell me I was going the wrong way image

Splits were a bit quick, particularly on the second bit.  Strange how running the opposite way to faster runners makes you speed up!  10.24, 10.21, 9.56, 9.55

• USB - how do you feel now with a couple of days to go? Tense, nervous or calm and collected?
    When I did Chester last year 5 weeks after VLM had gone tits up the difference in my mental state was like night and day. I was glad I chose a low-key marathon because I remember being relaxed the day before and in the morning I was able to just sit down before the start on my own and collect my thoughts. It felt more like a local 10k than anything else and I had a chat with a couple of other runners before we started. No nerves, no pressure, just able to run a marathon for me and no-one else.
    Good luck for Sunday and I wish you the very best

Rich

• Hello all! Just found your new thread USB, happy to join in! Been a busy few weeks for us selling/buying and moving into our new home image  I am also back at work full time now luckily it is not too busy at the moment so I may be able to even fit in lunch time runs or do a longer run home from work. I've gone a bit mad after Paris and have entered a selection of races in UK and abroad. Have also contemplated doing something like 12 marathons in 12 months but I think I will leave this idea for another time, maybe. 
  • MM - feeling fairly settled at the moment although I think I'll get nervous on the day. I'm aiming to get there early so I can put a couple of electrolyte drinks out on the course if it is still this warm. I may take a book and my iPod to keep me distracted!

UD - glad the move is all done. Are you in a house ? Is Allan enjoying full tome nursery? Lunchtime runs would be nice but we only get 30 mins.

I did 9 marathons and one ultra last year but had 4 months without one. Might be better to do one a month but that might limit choice

Just polished off some malt loaf. Feeling rather stuffed again
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

USB - when is your marathon?

• Good luck with Halstead USB hope you have a good day and get the result you want for all your hard work.

I went last year to support someone and think you can put drinks on a lorry and they will leave them at the water stations just put your name on them....

• Minni - it is on Sunday image

Flo - I am not going to decide till Sunday how hard to run this one.  The weather is going to be a big consideration if it stays hot.  I do however need to get an extra long run in before Dartmoor Discovery 4 weeks later so will definitely do the distance this time image

They are going to take up to 3 drinks to water stations but once the crate is full that is it.  I am aiming to be there for when Race HQ opens and put in 2 or 3 small water bottles with Zero tablets added if it stays hot.  I've also opted for Shotbloks instead of gels as they also have some electrolytes in.  I've found that heat combined with hormones is very good for producing salty skin!

• USB - we are in a flat with a nice green garden image Allan seems to like the nursery - crawling and cruising now, all very new and exciting.  I am doing a 10k this weekend and then Edinburgh half marathon in a couple of weeks. I've signed up for Loch Ness mara in October and got selected for New York in November! Good luck for Sunday, I know you will do well!!
  • Brilliant to have a garden! image  You really meant it when you said you'd gone a bit mad with race entries! 

I have the ultra on 4th June and then may be involved in a relay thing from Bristol to Windsor a couple of weeks later.  I'm entered for another ultra in September but it looks as if I am going to get an entry for the Abingdon marathon from a friend and may well focus on that instead.

• Just popping in to say hope it goes well tomorrow USB. Have a good one.

• Thanks Becs. 

Been over and done registration at parkrun this morning, I think I missed my calling and should be working for Waitrose instead of the NHS image  

Alison - are you in the very far north of Scotland?  I know they have been looking to start a parkrun in Aberdeen but don't know about elsewhere.  There is stuff on the website about starting new ones, I think the big challenge apart from finding a venue is that some funding needs to be found too.

I brought a new bum bag this week and wore it today to collect all the barcodes.  It felt really comfortable so I am going to chance wearing it tomorrow as the elastic on my armband is not holding the gels as well as it did.

• Good luck for tomorrow USB - hope all goes well for you. I think the forecast is to be cooler as the weekend goes on.
    Shotbloks worked well for me in Paris - I found them kinder on the stomach and much less messy. One trick you might want to try is to slice the packet in half so you end up with half tubes of three each rather than tubes of six - it makes them easier to get at, especially in the later stages when brain power and coordination aren't all they might be.